Not trying to go totally off-topic, but Orthodox church festivals in general are a chance to eat some high-quality ethnic cuisine for a reasonable price, take a dip into that culture with music/dance/arts/books, and rest assured that your modest expense is going to good causes.

The best ethnic Egyptian food I've had lately was at the St Abanoub Coptic Orthodox church festival in Springfield a month ago. The St Aphraim Syriac Orthodox church festival in May had some excellent Syrian food. St George Antiochan Orthodox church downtown has wonderful Syrian food too.

When you go behind-the-scenes and see all the moms and grandmoms show up a few days prior, and start rolling grape leaves in the kitchen, you know you're in for the real deal.

(With that, I'm sure Don will begin a new topic on Orthodox church festivals.)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

(With that, I'm sure Don will begin a new topic on Orthodox church festivals.)

As long as there's no Miracle Whip (*). :)

These festivals are ethnic versions of the DR Picnics - the food is *amazing* - consistently.

(*) And yes: Disgustingly, they make one with olive oil. Miracle Whip.jpg

The reason it's called that is because it's a miracle more people haven't vomited.

Funny, I thought I was the only one who went to these. I take my 7 year-old daughter to festivals sometimes. While I can't always get her to try the food, they usually have a moon-bounce and other kids stuff that she loves. 

The Ukrainian Festival in Silver Spring is a lot of fun. Great food, friendly people, and very kid oriented. http://www.ukrainefestdc.com/

Another good one, though not Orthodox, is the Polish Festival in Fells Point. I think it takes place in Sept. 

• Like 1

We love the Ukranian festival on New Hampshire Ave. every year in mid-September! We have pictures of the very dancers featured in the YouTube video you posted! Near the church end of the grounds they set up a little grocery store and we always get kielbasa etc. Parking on NH Ave. and at the mosque next door. Home made sweets (and Ukranian beer). We always get the church ladies' cabbage rolls and pierogis under the big tent, but I think I used to enjoy them more in past years than lately. The priest is cool. Last year there were some long bearded bishops or something like that from the old country visiting. People were getting their pictures taken with them. Petting zoo for the kids.

One reason why New Hampshire Avenue is known as the Highway to Heaven! Count the churches as you go by. If you see a lot for sale you almost hope it's going to go to a church, else it'll fall in Devil's Land!

• Like 1

On 6/21/2017 at 1:30 PM, Al Dente said:

The Ukrainian Festival in Silver Spring is a lot of fun.

23 minutes ago, MC Horoscope said:

We love the Ukranian festival on New Hampshire Ave.

I'm so happy to know about the Ukrainian Festival seeing as I live in Silver Spring and I have a 3-year-old and friends from Ukraine! I'm surprised I didn't know about it before now. It's now on the calendar for September.

• Like 1