Hummingbird, in the Hotel Indigo Alexandria, Operated by Eat Good Food Group

I'm surprised there's not a post yet about Hummingbird. As far as I know, it's not quite open, but should be soon. It's the latest from Cathal and Meshelle Armstrong, Todd Thrasher, and the Eat Good Food Group: the restaurant/bar at the new Hotel Indigo on the Old Town Alexandria waterfront. The bright and airy interior space looks really nice and there is a great patio area, as well. The menus are still in progress, but it sounds like there may be a seafood slant, with the occasional Irish touch, too.

Some additional info at Zagat.

• Like 2

I had lunch here last Saturday. Not really lunch, as they were only serving brunch. I was disappointed to be unable to try the clam dish that Tom Sietsema raved about. All new restaurants have issues getting their service correct, and Hummingbird did not disappoint in this regard. What surprised me were the issues with the food! They had run out of chicken salad and the crab and corn fritters! We ordered the classic Caesar, tzatziki and the ham and cheese. The tzatziki was okay. I have had better tasting Caesar dressing from a jar! The portion size of the ham and cheese was ridiculously small, and I am not sure how you can put gruyere cheese on anything and have it be so bland. Clearly not yet up to the Armstrongs' standards!

• Like 1

Tried out Hummingbird last night. It's a beautiful setting; especially on their patio overlooking the Potomac. The staff was attentive and gave good recommendations.  We had a group that was slow gathering and the staff didn't rush us, and they helped us to enjoy extended visit.  The bar service was generous and well-prepared.

We had a dozen oysters which were good, except for the server who delivered them knew zero about the varieties. The crab fritters were terrific and had a nice spicy dipping sauce. We ended up going with the restaurant week meal $35 for 3 courses. I enjoyed the Caesar salad. The rockfish was decent, but not amazing. Our table sampled all of the desserts on the menu.  The key lime bar and mud pie had the most flavor. The hummingbird cake was good and the cookie plate had some good..and some not quite as delish. 

I'll definitely be back!  

• Like 1

Has anyone been since last summer? Restaurant Eve's closing reminded me that this is a Cathal and Meshelle Armstrong venture and I should go.

We're going to Chloe (first time!) for belated Mother's Day dinner tomorrow, but Hummingbird should be on my radar for the next occasion (or just nice meal out).

10 minutes ago, susan said:

I have a lunch this week at Hummingbird. Has anyone been lately? 

Eat Good Food Group is notoriously coy when it comes to which restaurants they do, or don't, operate - I wouldn't assume they still run this until you hear positive confirmation.

Thanks for the insight. I'm looking for a great place for lunch this week for a special occasion, any suggestions? Hummingbird sounds lovely but I'm having second thoughts after doing a little research. I'm sure it's "good", but not Restaurant Eve which is what I had in my head, and maybe not right for this occasion.

1 hour ago, susan said:

Thanks for the insight. I'm looking for a great place for lunch this week for a special occasion, any suggestions? Hummingbird sounds lovely but I'm having second thoughts after doing a little research. I'm sure it's "good", but not Restaurant Eve which is what I had in my head, and maybe not right for this occasion.

Are you limited to Old Town? Because if you are, I know of no "great" restaurants there now.

12 hours ago, susan said:

Hummingbird is still part of their food group.  BUT it definitely isn't as fancy as Restaurant Eve was in terms of food.  The location is lovely and right on the water, but the food is more casual (and it's in a hotel, so they have a lot of the varied options for hotel guests).  I have been for happy hours, and had snacks, but not a full blown meal there, except for a breakfast, which was good.  

• Like 1