Solar Eclipse, August 21 2017

astrid

2 hours ago, astrid said:

Wondering if anyone is planning a trip to view the full solar eclipse this summer. 

Our travel plans will probably be dictated by the previous day's weather forecast.

I've seen one before, and it's "worth the trip," although with the glasses you *must* wear, the experience is diminished - but it's better than damage to your eyes.

I'm also guilty of looking without glasses for perhaps 1/10th of a second, but I sure wouldn't risk any more than, say, trying to catch a fly ball in baseball, or hit an overhead in tennis, while the sun is in your eyes - same level of damage, even though you may not feel it.

I decided to seek out some magnification for this event, and picked up a pair of Lunt Sunoculars earlier this year.  These are a fairly normal set of ruggedized 8x32 roof prism binocs, but with a glass solar filter installed internally, from a company that specializes in solar telescopes and observation instruments.

If you do choose to splurge on what is, after all, a single-purpose piece of equipment, (or if you're looking to add a filter to your existing fancy optics, or if you're going whole-hog and taking the plunge on hydrogen alpha equipment) then I would encourage you NOT to buy these things online, but instead to drive out to Laurel and patronize the fine folks of Company 7.  A longtime fixture among local astronomers, Company 7 is one of the last of a vanishing breed of specialty shops that actually possess genuine expertise *and routinely use it with conviction*.

• Like 1

I'm planning on seeing it from the Walter Scott Wines vineyard NE of Salem OR, long times friends of mine are part owners of it. At first I had planned to watch from the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument, but was advised against because Local authorities are already warning that too many people (100,000+)  are planning to go there for the eclipse. Drinking a fine Pinot Noir while observing an eclipse sounds like a great bucket list item.

• Like 2

I am now glad that we are going to try to see it on the east coast, rather than in Oregon as we originally planned.  Between monster traffic for sparsely populated areas, coastal haze, and the wildfires, it sounds like a lot of things to worry about.  Hope it goes well!

On 7/26/2017 at 10:38 PM, dinoue said:

We're looking at going down to Knoxville/Gatlinburg and I came here to see what dining options might be available.

Eater just named JC Holdway in Knoxville as a top 12 best new restaurant in America. And there's always Blackberry Farm. 

I'm in Asheville and we're supposed to get 99.6% darkness here, but I'll be out of the country. Plenty of great dining options here, but hotels might be scarce as they've been hyping this all year. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Deac said:

Eater just named JC Holdway in Knoxville as a top 12 best new restaurant in America. And there's always Blackberry Farm. 

I'm in Asheville and we're supposed to get 99.6% darkness here, but I'll be out of the country. Plenty of great dining options here, but hotels might be scarce as they've been hyping this all year. 

Decided on Gatlinburg so they're both an hour away. :-(

Washington Post's Capital Weather Gang has been posting weather forecasts for the eclipse area.  Looking very good for the western third and hopeful for South Carolina.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/08/16/total-solar-eclipse-weather-forecast-as-of-aug-16/

This site has pretty exhausting description of possible weather scenarios based on historical probabilities.  http://eclipsophile.com/