Chennai Express, South Indian in a Chantilly Industrial Park

Been a while since I posted but I think I found another place worth reviewing.  Got a fun Saturday planned? Maybe you're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, if you have enough time.

If your suburban angst has you going to Target and Costco and Chantilly then you should treat yourself to a meal at Chennai Express.  Recently opened, this place is tucked away in an industrial park in Chantilly in the former Talking Turkey space.  

Chennai is the capital of Tamil Nadu India.  A state in the southern part of the country and the menu is designed accordingly.  Do not expect to find Butter Chicken or Palek Paneer,  Do expect to find authentic food prepared with care.  The owner is passionate about his food and it shows.  We stopped in on Sunday for some carry out.  I'd like to tell you what I got but I could not pronounce most of it.  Regardless.  It was all good.   

Most important is that they do Chicken 65 right.  No sweet sauce for this.  Just dry, crispy juicy chicken with just the right amount of kick.  There isn't a menu posted yet but who cares.  Check it out.  Its a great addition to the Chantilly food scene.  

• Like 2

On 6/26/2017 at 8:15 PM, ulrath said:

If your suburban angst has you going to Target and Costco and Chantilly then you should treat yourself to a meal at Chennai Express.  Recently opened, this place is tucked away in an industrial park in Chantilly in the former Talking Turkey space.  

Getting here is the hard part.

ChennaiExpress.jpg

(Most Americans know Chennai as "the city formerly known as Madras" - it's the third-largest city in India after Mumbai and Delhi .)

On 6/26/2017 at 8:15 PM, ulrath said:

Been a while since I posted but I think I found another place worth reviewing.  Got a fun Saturday planned? Maybe you're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, if you have enough time.

Thanks Ulrath -- have lived in Chantilly since 1996 and never ventured into Talking Turkey, but this place will get me in the door.

Thanks for the tip! Got some takeout from Chennai Express yesterday and liked it a lot -- Chicken 65 and Cauliflower Manchurian. Both are listed under appetizers but the portions are quite generous. The dipping sauce that comes with the cauliflower (mango-pepper?) packs a real punch. Works well with the chicken too. The dosas (29 different ones on the menu) coming out of the kitchen looked great. Ten uttapams listed too.

The biryani looked to be so good that one woman was eating it with her fingers.

I was in there for about 30 minutes waiting for my food and was the only non-Indian guy in there. Love that.

The place is small, but for the combo of authentic food and reasonable prices, it's a real winner.

• Like 1