Tallula, Washington Blvd in South Clarendon - Chef Rob Rubba Replaces Nate Waugaman, GM Michael Williams Replaces Matt Molaski - Closed

I am pleased to announce the A Day At The Beach Wine Dinner at Tallula on Tuesday, July 19th @ 7:30.

The dinner will consist of a four-course meal with wine pairings plus a selection of the Amuse Yourself items from the regular menu.

We have room for 12 people. The cost is $95.00 which covers everything - dinner, tax, tip and paypal fees. Prepayment will be required.

Please email me if you are interested or have any questions.

The menu for A Day At The Beach Wine Dinner includes:

Starter
Shrimp Broil - Carolina shrimp, baby corn, and fingerling potatoes seasoned with Sierra Nevada and Old Bay
paired with a 2004 Domaine d'Eole Rose

Second Course
Duo of Chesapeake Crab - Jumbo lump crabcake and tempura softshell crab
paired with a 2003 Dr. Konstantin Frank Riesling

Main Course
Grilled Maine Lobster with lemongrass risotto and basil hollandaise
paired with a 2004 Brampton Viognier

Dessert
Funnel Cake with fresh fruit and vanilla ice cream
paired with a wine selected by our staff

I've recieved some emails about why the price is so high so I thought I would break it down a bit for you. If the folks from Tallula want to chime in please do.

Dinner is $70 including wine. $25 includes tax, tip and paypal fees. The tip is approximately 20%.

If the folks from Tallula want to chime in please do.

Dinner is $70 including wine.  $25 includes tax, tip and paypal fees.  The tip is approximately 20%.

Please PM me if you have any questions at all! From experience, Chef Anda makes each of these dinners well worth the price, and the wine keeps flowing until we're done (or they run out of bottles - whichever comes first). :lol:

After class last night I was hungry and was trying to figure out where to go for a bite to eat. I decided to grab a bite at Tallula and a friend met me there to keep me company and watch me eat. We plopped down at a table in the not too crowded lounge. A short while later a server came by and provided menus for us to peruse.

My friend just had a specialty drink, the Dark and Stormy (Gosling's Dark Rum, Ginger Beer, Lime), which was not too bad. I think there was just a bit too much rum as it masked the ginger. I ordered a glass of wine, Fried Green Tomatoes appetizer, and the Niman Ranch Pork Chop for my main.

He returned with our drinks that was the last we saw of our waiter until we ordered dessert. A runner dropped by to serve me both my app and entree at the same time. Ugh! Why? I tried to get someone's attention but there was nobody around and I did not feel like getting up (I was starving and wanted to eat). The fried tomatoes were good are served with duck cracklings, frisée salad, and bacon vinaigrette. My friend and I both remarked that the cracklings tasted like chicken, but the bacon vinaigrette was a nice compliment to the bitter frisée.

After eating my salad I cut into my pork chop, which looked wonderful, and it was under cooked, even for the MR that I ordered. This did not really surprise me as it came out pretty quickly. At this time another server was coming by (luckily) and he brought it back to the kitchen where it was finished. The chop was good and I enjoyed the side of braised red cabbage. The apple and onion tart was decent, but the crust was a little soft, probably from sitting around while I was eating my salad.

Dessert was the Chocolate, Caramel Cashew Bar with Chocolate Sauce and it was a surprisingly light dessert. I don't remember the specifics, but it was delicious.

Overall a good dinner, but the service in the lounge needs a bit of work. In watching the room it appears that diners are an annoyance in the lounge.

Edited by mdt

I finally made it to Tallulah last week and it was definitely worth the schlep. Although I expected the Amuse Yourself to be the highlight of the meal I was blown away by the appetizers and main.

When you go you must have the Foie Gras in a cola sauce. I know, coke and Foie? Who would have thought that the sweet cola reduction could enhance the two perfectly cooked pieces of Foie Gras. The pickled cabbaged added a nice subtle contrast to the richness of the Foie and sweetness of the sauce.

The other standout appetizer was the crab cake. It consisted mainly of huge lumps of crabs with just enough filler to hold it together. I found it a bit under seasoned for my taste but then again my taste buds react funny when they find crab and no Old Bay. This is a damn good crab cake. It is served with a cabbage slaw that was delicious. Light, just a touch of creaminess with cumin (I think) tying the whole dish together.

And then there were the scallops. I was informed before going that I was to order the scallops in vanilla sauce. Frankly, you put vanilla and anything together and I will give it a try. Who knew that vanilla could bring out the depth of flavor in a scallop. The vanilla sauce was creamy but not sweet, nor overpowering. Instead it played nicely in the background, highlighting all that a scallop could be.

My dining companion is a bit of a cappuccino snob. She only drinks premium coffee, expects perfect foam, blah blah blah. Frankly, she was blown away by Tallulah's cappuccino. As she put it "This is a cappuccino worth crossing the river for" :P

Went last night with a group to Tallula for the first time. At the waitress's suggestion we all started off with their "Five O'Clock Somewhere" speciality drink. The consensus opinion was that it tasted like something out of one of our kids' juice box. We switched to a chardonay at that point.

For some reason we decided to skip the "Amuse Yourself" selections and go straight to the appetizers and mains. Several had the butter lettuce salad with goat cheese and cashews. It seemed serviable and everyone ate it without complaint. I ordered the Tuna Tartar (I've become a bit obsessed with the dish in recent months). It was nice and tart with chunky bites of tuna and avacado. However, black pepper seemed to somewhat overwhelm the dish. It came with lightly fried sweet potato chips on the side that were tasty!

For the entree I had the Ricotta Gnocchi with Forest Mushrooms and truffle butter. I'm no Gnocchi expert, but I thought they were great. The mushrooms were incredibly rich and nicely paired with the fluffy Gnocchi. Others at the table had the Walnut crusted rack of Lamb and Halibut with Lemon Risotto. Both were very well recieved. The lamb looked amazing...but alas, I didn't get to sample.

For dessert we split the Chocolate, Caramel Cashew Bar and the Cappucdino Creme Brulee. Frankly we were not impressed with either. The Chocolate Bar seemed like it had been sitting on the plate in the fridge for a day (and maybe it had since it was Sunday night?)and wasn't particularly flavorful or rich as we had all hoped. The Creme Brulee was served in a coffee cup and had a very thick coating of whipped cream on top. Thus it was impossible to enjoy the crispy carmelized top on the dish.

After dinner we went to the lounge and enjoyed some more wine and chatted. It was fun to be back in the part of the restaurant that had retained the old "Whitey's" feel. Service was wonderful all thru the evening. The restaurant section of Tallula's was fairly noisy, even on a less hectic Sunday night. There were times when I strained to hear my companion on the other end of a table for 6 people.

I would love to go back soon and try several of the "Amuse Yourself' choices and the scallops. I think Tallula is a charming and much needed addition to the NOVA dining seen.

Edited by Free Wilma

I was looking at Tallula's website today, and noticed that they had weekly wine tastings. Can anyone shed some more light on these, are they the type of event that you just show up to? How much does it cost and how many wines are tasted? Nice website, just lacking in that one calendar area!

I was looking at Tallula's website today, and noticed that they had weekly wine tastings.  Can anyone shed some more light on these, are they the type of event that you just show up to?  How much does it cost and how many wines are tasted?  Nice website, just lacking in that one calendar area!

You can sign up for email updates also:

http://www.wineaccess.com/store/dailyplanetwines

The Thursday Tastings are complimentary in the bar during happy hour - there's a tasting table set up in the front bar near the door (can't really miss it).

Each week Planet Wine brings in a different wine distributor, importer or visiting winemaker to taste out some of their wines that appear on Tallula's menu (= sold in the onsite retail store)...with a few surprise bottles thrown in for fun. Tastings usually begin around 5:30 and last until at least 8:00 depending on the crowd.

I'm working on the calendar page on the site - bear with me. If there's anything else you think we should add to the site, please PM me. I update it as frequently as possible. The menus for the next two wine dinners (16th and 30th) should be up next week, so check back.

The Thursday Tastings are complimentary in the bar during happy hour - there's a tasting table set up in the front bar near the door (can't really miss it). 

Just letting you all know that the wines being shown tonight (Thursday, 08/04/2005) at Tallula are:

Joel Delaunay Touraine 2004

Vecchiatorre Leverano Rosato 2004

Cantina del Pino Dolcetto d'Alba 2003

Hopefully you all can come out and enjoy these tasty treats. :P

I have been to Tallula twice and while it wasn't perfect either time, there's always a lot to enjoy.

Cocktails: I'd skip the Wimbledon, which is fun for the Pop Rocks rim but otherwise disappointing. They whipped up good mint juleps for us on Derby day even though they aren't usually served. :P

Amuse/apps: Love the halibut, love the mini corn dogs, I think the fried green tomatoes could use a little more flavor and power.

Dessert: Not much selection, but I do enjoy the creme brulee.

Overall, I think it will improve with time and I always walk out happy.

Went to Tallula for brunch today and had a wonderful experience! My friend and I celebrated her birthday with mimosas. The eggs benedict = outstanding (I hope they add it to the menu...it was the special today) and our server, Derek, was so considerate and fun. I've only been to Tallula for dinner before but hope to go for brunch again soon!

I would make the 35 mile trek to Tallulahs for their ingenious take on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Brioche stuffed with peanut butter, topped with seared foie gras and warm Bing Cherry Jam. It is truly to die for. My two favorites peanut butter and foie gras in one heavenly taste....yum!

Edited by RaisaB

our server, Derek, was so considerate and fun.
Derek is the best! Ok, I confess, he's my neighbor - but he is a credit to his profession - he takes his job seriously and, in my experience, he has always provided excellent service. And I'm pretty sure that's not just because he knows me. :P There would be lot fewer complaints about waitstaff if there were more of them like Derek.

Went to Tallula for brunch Sunday before last and had a mixed experience. Our waiter was either 1) fired or 2) went home sick during our meal, so service was bumpy at first. No one even came to our table for the first fifteen minutes, at which point I went in and asked the Maitre' D if we could put a drink order in. A disheveled curmudgeon of a waiter came by a few minutes later and brought us the drinks, then disappeared again. The next time we saw him he was sulking out the door to his car.

The next guy, though, was a treat. (Maybe he was this same Derek guy?) He apologized for the delays and said that they had been slammed that morning, mosty due to the fact that the Washingtonian had just listed them as one of the best brunches in D.C. (A fact that, had I noticed, would have made me put off brunch there for a few weeks.)

When the bill came, our drinks had been comped; all was forgiven. Oh, and I nearly forgot the food. Good prices, nothing too memorable. I had the fried egg BLT: the brioche had a nice crisp, buttery sear to it with soft bread inside and the tomato was juicy and ripe. The home fries were a disaster -- dry, overcooked and in desparate need of some flavor. Next stop on the brunch calendar -- Atlantico. Anyone been?

Went to Tallula for brunch Sunday before last and had a mixed experience.  Our waiter was either 1) fired or 2) went home sick during our meal, so service was bumpy at first. 

Your server was most certainly under the weather that day. He was sent home in the middle of brunch and Josh Radigan, our wine guru, and Matt Wright, the bartender that turned your experience around, were called in to save the day.

Sorry about the rough start to your brunch!

-Dave Pressley, GM, Tallula

Will be going to Tallula for the first time on Thursday with a group for a party. I believe they have a room reserved. Forgive the question, but since my beloved Patriots will be starting their season, I was wondering if there are televisions anywhere in this restaurant?

Will be going to Tallula for the first time on Thursday with a group for a party.  I believe they have a room reserved.  Forgive the question, but since my beloved Patriots will be starting their season, I was wondering if there are televisions anywhere in this restaurant?

Since GM Dave Pressley is too an avid fan of the reigning Dynasty, you have nothing to fear. Most likely both TVs in the front lounge as well as those in the back will be tuned in to the game. :lol:

Had an enjoyable first trip to Tallula tonight. Started with an assortment of amuses my favorite being the chicken confit crepe. Tender, well seasoned (from t he onion marmelade) chicken in a light crepe. Being in a chicken mood, I followed that with roast chicken, rainbow chard, and a chickpea fritter. The chicken was moist with a nice herb pan sauce and a crispy skin. The chickpea fritter was the standout item of the night. It was light (think whipped hummus) with just a touch of crust. A really nice counter to chicken both in flavor and texture. I could easily see making a dish with this as a main instead of a side. We split some desserts (extra portion of dessert sales went to Katrina relief efforts so you HAD to order something) -- a chocolate cashew bar that was light in texture but rich in flavor and a lemon something or other that had cake, lemon creme, wonderful candied rind, and unbelievably large raspberries. Both desserts were nice on their own and really seemed to complement each other.

The place was packed. Couldn't tell if it was because of the good food or the relief effort but either way works for me.

(after riding around arlington on buses a bit aimlessly late sunday afternoon trying to make sense out of life after watching "urinetown" at signature theatre and wishing we had listened to the music first because that seemed to be stronger than the humor, and foolishly discovering that willow is closed on sundays, we eventually found ourselves in the clare and don area, and i had always wanted to try tallula, which was a bit hard to find when you think you know where it is and it isn't there, you don't trust the directions of a customer at the wine cellar, you don't have the address, you run out of quarters calling information, you have to get more change by sending your wife into a vietnamese store to purchase thread and you keep flashing back to a korean restaurant on a spot that is now most likely buried under a condominium.)

the first thing we liked about tallula is that it is around the bend and at least three long blocks away from a booming area where life is calculated on a cost per square foot basis. the second thing we liked was that the people were nice, and the third thing was the martinis, around which time we began to lose track of our likes and dislikes, feeling simply relieved and lucky that we had finally discovered this oasis, which was not very much like what i had thought it would be from reading about it, which is often the case.

we were seated beneath a skylight, sandiwched between a semi-open kitchen and a semi-gurgling fountain, and at about 70% capacity, i would say the noise in the dining room was well within tolerable levels.

the food: we skipped the two bites because it just seemed too many decisions, but the ham and cheese ravioli was worth ordering, perfectly prepared fava beans the best thing about this buttery sauced dish, and served with asparagus that made me wonder just a bit about what it means to be committed to locally grown produce. (should i also have been wondering about the beans?) fried oysters were also quite decent, although one of them was accompanied by bits of shell.

the niman ranch pork chop, ordered medium rare, was thick and juicy and flavorable enough on its own that it didn't really need the pepper jelly accompaniment. unlike a diner two tables down, who left it virtually untouched, i at least played with my jelly and discovered a rendering of true pepper flavor once i got past the sugar. the pork came with admirable spinach and a small cast iron pot of macaroni and cheese, which we all love, but this really is becoming a trite food and if it were my kitchen i would at least try to figure out something new to do with it or forget it. i will also someday try to get directions to the niman ranch so i can get a feel for these critters on the hoof. my wife didn't complain about her hangar steak, and she can complain, so i suppose it was alright. however, the one forkful i had suggested some sort of fusion (chinese?) and i didn't feel like chewing any more to try and figure out what was in it, though i believe it was more than syrah reduction and pepper.

there is an impressive wine by the glass list and big goblets for swirling, and i don't remember stems but there must have been bottoms to keep the glasses in place. i had a hewitson miss harry, as it is described on my check, which was delicious, a syrah-ish blend(?). our server suggested it, and she knew what she was doing. anyway, this is another place that gives wine its due, and after dinner you can go around the restaurant wall where bottles are stored and it turns into a store.

you don't have to leave too much room for dessert to enjoy the banana cream pie, which is actually a layer of whipped cream, then banana substance, some crumbs and a dollop of chocolate served in a drink glass. i suppose you could say it was deconstructed. it certainly wasn't pie, didn't come with a warning, but was satisfying without knocking anyone's socks off. the peaches in the peach shortcake were cooked, served with biscuits and mascarpone. again, i was glad my wife had ordered this, though ended up eating more of it than she did, for the road.

bottom line: this is a a nice neighborhood restaurant, there are lots of things on the menu i would still like to try and i will give them a shot next time.

the bar feels almost as large as the restaurant, and is truly beautiful to behold, but sunday night, at least, it was going almost entirely to waste. i can't believe that everybody was at home watching the emmy's.

on the way out there is a sign on the door asking you to be respectful of the neighbors. i can't imagine what this is all about. not to be disrespectful, but maybe they are just pricks?

Edited by giant shrimp

thank you for the kind words, but a clarification as to the sign posted on our door. Our neighbors, whom we have become very close to in the past couple of months, voiced their concerns to us about some growing pains that come from such a restaurant. We listened, and instead of turning the other way, we decided to make any neccessary arraingments to accomodate their concerns, including posting signs that will hopefully buffer the late night noise levels. Don't forget, while Whiteys was a legend in its own time, time eventually ran out on it, and thus no more Whiteys. As being a local product of Arlington, I can fondly remember the days of parking in neighbors drive-ways and watching people pee and puke on their lawns, thus, we shall not have any of that while Tallula exists in the neighborhood.

on the way out there is a sign on the door asking you to be respectful of the neighbors. i can't imagine what this is all about. not to be disrespectful, but maybe they are just pricks?

You see this in quite a few Arlington establishments- I think it stems from drunk bargoers stumbling out at 2 am, being loud and rowdy.

I went last week for a return visit after going on the company dime a couple of months ago. I've decided that this place is nice for wine and some small bites, but that for dinner, it's just not a great value (I'm on a budget, so I think about these things).

I also had the hangar steak, served cut into strips. I asked for medium (pink middle) and got rare. I decided to keep it anyway, deciding that it would be perfectly cooked when reheated for leftovers- which it was. The potato gratin it was served with said it was "horseradish potato gratin", but I tasted no horseradish and had to ask for salt b/c I found it rather bland.

I also had the banana cream pie- honestly, it tasted like bananas with whipped cream on top. Nuttin' special at all.

We did have the mini lobster rolls, which were very good- lots of meat and little dressing so you could really taste the lobster, instead of mayo and bread.

My take: All of this would have been fine, but for $23 for my steak and $7-8 for my dessert...I can get awesome steak at Ray's for $5 more. I feel like entrees at Tallula should be about $5 less than they are. Perhaps it all evens out because their wine list is so reasonable, but there are more and more places that are offering good wines at good prices. I just don't feel that my meal was worth $72 (which is what it came to with tax and tip).

Fall is upon us and out here in the Arlingon-Sticks we have greeted it with a new wines by the glass menu. we now have 76 by the glass, and we brought in some heavy hitters to help us.

d'Arenberg 'Laughing magpie'

di Stefano meritage

Fritz Zin, delicious Dry Creek producer

Aviemore, 100% Stags Leap District grapes, 2001 vintage.

and the list keeps rolling along. Hope to see ya' all soon.

Gotta wonder what the smiley face is all about from the previous poster.

Gotta wonder what the smiley face is all about from the previous poster.

Its a sad face, I have a feeling the person in question has a connection to the restaurant and was a bit upset that someone left less than happy.

You can't make everyonew happy all the time and when somebody doesn't like what you've got, it's a little depressing you know.

I also had the banana cream pie- honestly, it tasted like bananas with whipped cream on top.  Nuttin' special at all.

I have no quibble with your opinion of the restaurant but I have to ask....what were you expecting banana cream pie to taste like if not bananas and cream? :lol:

FOR THE BEER LOVERS AMONG US...

ROGUE BEER DINNER

Tallula Restaurant

2761 Washington Boulevard, Arlington

Monday, December 19th

7:30 PM

$75 per person

Inspired by the amazing beers of Oregon's Rogue Brewing Company, Tallula's Executive Chef Nathan Anda has put together a

special beer dinner not to be missed! Global Brewer's Guild's Jeff Wells will be on hand to guide participants through Rogue's brewery catalog.

MENU

1st Course

Caramelized Diver Scallops

Cauliflower Puree, Mint Gastrique, Toasted Cardamom

paired with Rogue’s Belgian Saison

2nd Course

Spicy Duck Mezzaluna

Confit of Leg Meat, Chipotle Chili, Wonton Crisps

paired with Rogue’s Chipotle Ale

3rd Course

Seared Hudson Valley Foie Gras

“Baby” Fried Egg Sandwich, Hazelnut Brittle

paired with Rogue’s Hazelnut Nectar

4th Course

Duo of Niman Ranch Pork

Braised Bacon & Roasted Loin, Beluga Lentil Ragout, Crispy Parsnips

paired with Rogue’s Santa’s Reserve

5th Course

House-made German-Style Bratwurst

Red Cabbage Confit, Pommery Mustard, Pretzel Roll

paired with Rogue’s Brutal Bitter

6th Course

A Cigar paired with Rogue’s Imperial Stout

7th Course

Coffee & Donuts

Reservations can be made by calling Tallula at 703.778.5051 or by emailing events@tallularestaurant.com. Space is limited.

For those of you who missed last month's Rogue Beer Dinner, we're doing another one (mainly because we had so much fun the last time). This time we're bringing in a selection of Dogfish Head Brews from the folks in Delaware.

When: Monday, February 6th

Where: Tallula

2761 Washington Blvd, Arlington

closest metro is Clarendon (Orange line)

Time: 7:30 PM

Cost: $75 (includes tax & gratuity, a multi-course meal and beer pairings)

Menu will be posted soon. In the meantime, please feel free to reserve your spot for the event by emailing tallula@tallularestaurant.com or PMing me.

Cheers!

Mel

Edited by MelGold

Two friends and I went to Tallula for dinner this past Thursday. We were all feeling festive - two of us have new jobs, one recently found out that she's pregnant. Good moods all around.

Results were mixed, with entrees greatly outshining our selections from the Amuse Yourself and Appetizer portions of the menu.

What we ate:

Baby Burger ($3)

truffle butter, onion marmalade

Relatively large for the mini-burger category, making it easy to cut up in to bites for all of us to taste. A nice example of the genre although I would have enjoyed more of the truffle butter.

Risotto Fritter ($2.25)

Our version was different than Tallula's online menu so I'm guessing a bit on the ingredients. There was a corn cream...some chili flavor. Ultimately these two bites were disappointing. The sauce was somewhat bitter/sour.

Beer Battered Corn Dog ($2.25)

chorizo sausage, whole grain mustard

Again, disappointing. The chorizo was dry as hell and worse, the corn dog was barely lukewarm. Still, we ate the whole thing. It was one of those "not great, but I'm OK eating it" situations.

Crispy Chicken Dumpling ($3.25)

chicken confit, herb veloutè

This was served colder than the corn dog, and was in fact, frozen in the middle. We sent it back, and received a fresh one that was very hot. The dumpling was good - very rich and creamy. I liked it enough, but probably wouldn't order it again.

Fried Green Tomatoes ($7)

duck cracklings, frisée salad, bacon vinaigrette

El Prego is very hungry these days so she ordered fried green tomatoes. The presentation wasn't what she expected and she thought the tomatoes tasted excessively sweet, but she also said "hormones change everything so take my comments with a grain of salt."

Seared Beef Hanger Steak ($24)

white bean puree, bacon & onion gratin, chimichurri sauce

Lucky me - this was my entree and the steak was pretty perfect. Loved it. I enjoyed my first few bites of the bacon and onion gratin, but couldn't eat the whole thing. Just a bit much. I love anything with white beans, but by the end, and in conjunction with the other components of the dish, it became too salty for even this salt-lover.

My friends had Roasted King Salmon ($21) with corn & lobster risotto, porcini mushroom reduction, and Diver Scallops ($22) roasted red & gold beets, French beans, Parma ham, vanilla butter. I didn't taste either, but both disappeared quickly.

No room for dessert. Two of us had a glass of wine each. The total per person with tip and tax was $48 per person.

Ok, I threatened (promised?) to tell everyone what we had for dinner last night, so here goes: We arrived a few minutes early and told the hostess we'd be happy to wait until our reservation time. She disappeared for about 2 minutes and came back and said, "Your table is ready". From there out, we left ourselves in the capable hands of the Tallula staff. We were no more than seated when Derek our waiter (waitperson?) came out and gave us the details of our dinner. Josh R. came out with the first wine and off we went. Dinner was the following:

1st Course: Gastrique glazed and seared Tuna with roasted shallot cous-cous. A very tasty and perfectly seared Tuna. I like the Tuna but the cous-cous is good enough to be a course by itself.

Paired with a 2001 Marc Tempe Pinot Blanc, from Alsace. Fruity and dry with a floral nose and a long finish.

2nd Course: Seared Fois Gras with Brioche and Pistachio Bread pudding, Sauternes Jelly and a bittersweet Chocolate and Framboise sauce. Someone must know my weakness for Fois Gras. This was smoky and wonderful and some of the best Fois Gras I've had in a while.

Paired with a 2004 Champalon Vouvray Off-dry Chenin Blanc from the Loire Valley. Citrusy, long finish, very refreshing. It set off the Fois Gras perfectly.

3rd Course: Seared Beef Tenderloin with potato Risotto, crispy vegetables and a morel mushroom reduction. Rare to medium rare Beef. The beef was very tender and flavorful. The potato Risotto was an eye-opener. Risotto doesn't always refer to rice. In this case it refered to ricing the potatoes. What a great complement to the beef.

Paired with: 2004 Connatoio "E" Sangiovese from Tuscany. I like Sangioveses and this one was no disappointment. Big, robust, great boquet and a perfect match for the beef. Josh also brought a French red but like and idiot, I didn't get the name or vintage. A similar bouquet, slightly drier and possibly a bit more robust.

4th Course: Dessert was Vanilla-bean Cheesecake with a strawberry, lychee sauce. I had to share this with the next table it was so good. Grover (who was complaining about being full managed to somehow finish all of this... :lol: )

Paired with: 2004 NI Volf Moscato D'Asti. From the Piedmont region of Italy. A very pleasant way to finish a great meal. We bought glasses of this for the next table.

Dinner wasn't over yet however...because of the snowy night, we were left to contemplate the journey home with hot chocolate with home made marshmallow and beignet. All in all, a very pleasant, gracious dining experience hightened by extremely good wine pairings. Grover and I can't wait to go back and do it again.

Josh also brought a French red but like and idiot, I didn't get the name or vintage.  A similar bouquet, slightly drier and possibly a bit more robust.

It was Carignan wine. I don't know the vintage, either.

Hmm... I felt that Carignan was smoother than Sangiovese. Maybe I was drunk. :huh:

It's too bad Tallula couldn't get ranked in Washingtonian's list but I am pretty sure they will be there soon. :lol:

Tallula made the "Best New Restaurants" list in the Washingtonian's Reader Poll. That is a much more cherished accomplishment than the Washingtonian Top 100 List. (Something tells me that each one of us would have our own Top 100 that would be completely different....)

It was Carignan wine. I don't know the vintage, either.

Hmm... I felt that Carignan was smoother than Sangiovese. Maybe I was drunk. :huh:

It's too bad Tallula couldn't get ranked in Washingtonian's list but I am pretty sure they will be there soon. :lol:

Tallula made the "Best New Restaurants" list in the Washingtonian's Reader Poll.  That is a much more cherished accomplishment than the Washingtonian Top 100 List.  (Something tells me that each one of us would have our own Top 100 that would be completely different....)

Well, after our dinner last Saturday, you'd definitely be in my top 10 list. (okay, not you personally, but Tallula definitely would be).

Dinner there with my mom on Monday. I'm turning my mom into a more adventurous eater. She's always been on of those people that likes to go to the same [often mediocre] places, and I've started a campaign to bring her to more of my faves lately.

Amuses:

Baby Burger, Corn Dog, Crab Dumpling, and Duck Confitte.

I always look forward to the baby burgers here... I love how they work with the truffle butter and the sweetness of the onions. This time, though, it was a miss. The meat was kinda dry, and the butter was applied haphazardly, so that the butter was more on the bun than the meat (and off on one half).

The crab dumpling was terrific. The sauce did not overwhelm the crab meat, which was a nice quality. The corn dog was better than usual, the shell had a nice little crunch, and the chorizo wasn't dry (as described above). Maybe it was karma's trade for the burger. My mom enjoyed the duck, which I did not try.

Apps:

Mushroom Ragout and Tuna Tartar

I had the mushrooms, which I really enjoyed. They really maxed out the flavor of the mushrooms, and the pairing with the bacon (which was a nice, meaty, butcher style bacon) made for a nice textural contrast. It was a rich appetizer, and I think would have worked just as well if it was a slightly smaller portion.

I tasted the tuna. Very nice, but it is certainly an interpretive 'tartar.' The elements are all sweet - onions, sweet potato, the pineapple sauce that they finish the plate with. Nothing represents the spiciness or briney quality that I think of with a more traditional steak tartar. But it's an elegant dish, and one that I'd happily order if they changed the name to 'eggs benedict.'

Mains:

Salmon with Lobster Risotto. Salad.

I had the salmon. Cooked a medium rare (more on the rare side) with a nice, crispy skin. It was a good piece of salmon, well prepared. Which was a good thing, as the risotto was seriously undercooked. I think it was meant to be al dente, but the grain was still hard (crunchy) in the center. The sauce seemed nice, but was obviously hard to enjoy.

I did mention it to my waitress when she came by (which was after the first few bites, but not before. Kudos for that!). She said she'd look into it, but we never heard anything more about it. As the rest of the food was nice, and I was pretty full (two amuses, an app, and a decent portion of salmon was plenty), I didn't pursue it.

Goaded a little by my mom (who'd had salad...), I split the peanut butter and chocolate pie, which was not something I'd order again, particularly. Not bad, but not great.

Overall, a good night out, with some peevish dissapointments (which run counter to my prior visits).

I tasted the tuna.  Very nice, but it is certainly an interpretive 'tartar.'  The elements are all sweet - onions, sweet potato, the pineapple sauce that they finish the plate with.  Nothing represents the spiciness or briney quality that I think of with a more traditional steak tartar.  But it's an elegant dish, and one that I'd happily order if they changed the name to 'eggs benedict.'

We certainly appreciate your mini-review of our humble restaurant, but I feel I need to point out that "tartare" is defined as coarsely ground or finely chopped raw meat. Traditional steak tartare (which we also offer on our "Amuse" menu) tastes nothing like the tuna appetizer and I want to be sure you don't think we are misrepresenting the term "tartare". :lol:

We are certainly happy that you enjoyed most of your meal here and invite you to say hi the next time you're in!

I feel I need to point out that "tartare" is defined as coarsely ground or finely chopped raw meat.  Traditional steak tartare (which we also offer on our "Amuse" menu) tastes nothing like the tuna appetizer and I want to be sure you don't think we are misrepresenting the term "tartare".

You know, I should have pointed out that the dish was well described on the menu, so there was no surprise when it arrived. (I'm still learning how to write about my food experiences here.)

Personally, I still find the name of the dish peculiar. Tartare makes me think of that particular combination of beef and seasonings. On checking the definition (and, uh, correcting my spelling), I noticed a few sources include the seasonings in the definition.

I definitely didn't mean to imply that I was expecting one thing and received another. Clumsy writing.

Cheers!

Brad

I have no quibble with your opinion of the restaurant but I have to ask....what were you expecting banana cream pie to taste like if not bananas and cream:lol:

My vision of banana creme pie is of a taste of banany-goodness, but with somehow MORE than the taste of fruit itself. My pie at Talulla was pretty much as if I took a banana, put some cool whip on top, and put it in a bowl.

Dined at Tallula last night. Terrific meal all-around but the Braised Veal Cheeks app deserves special attention. Served atop creamy whipped parsnips and melt-in-your-mouth tender I would say that this possibly is the best dish I've had anywhere lately. Well done.

Edited by jcc

Planet Wine & Tallula present

An Austrian Winemakers' Tasting Reception

Monday, March 6th

6 or 8 PM

Admission: $55

Tallula Restaurant

2761 Washington Blvd., Arlington

(703) 778-5051

www.tallularestaurant.com

During this distinctive tasting, Tallula will be transformed from restaurant to tasting room as we offer you the opportunity to experience Austrian food and wine with people who know it best. The visiting winemakers will be pouring more than 25 featured wines paired at tasting stations with Chef Anda’s Austrian-inspired dishes. The dining room will be closed for regular dining during the event so guests may mix and mingle with the winemakers.

SPECIAL GUESTS INCLUDE:

ANTON BAUER

The Anton Bauer family winery is in its 4th generation. Since 1992, Anton has been responsible for managing the winery. He has continued to make the traditional white wines of this region (Grüner Veltliner and Riesling), but has proven that this area can also produce excellent red wines.

The vineyards are located along the Danube River in the hills of the Wagram. Its south-facing slopes with terraced vineyards, loess soil, and exceptional microclimate are responsible for producing high quality grapes. Anton Bauer's wines are true to the terroir, reflecting the soil, the climate, the grape variety, and the Anton Bauer touch! Ecological cultivation, bio-fertilization and yield reduction are necessary to guarantee the best possible harvest, and modern cellar techniques are used to ensure that this high quality ends up in the bottle.

LEO HILLINGER

The Hillinger family has managed vineyards for generations in Jois, Burgenland. In 1990, Leo Hillinger – after a long apprenticeship and many years of travel in Germany and California – took over the wine estate and began with structural reforms, which were to make the firm a top wine-growing enterprise in the Neusiedl Lake region within a few years. Despite restructuring the firm, investment in cellar technology and the integration of a completely new design, Hillinger remained true to the original values and qualities of viticulture.

Hillinger has strongly promoted top quality viticulture since the firm’s takeover. The predominant aim is to achieve a level of quality through integrated biological and biotechnical viticulture, which will find international acknowledgment. His efforts to raise the quality of the wine showed rapid success and was confirmed with a number of international distinctions.

MARTIN MITTELBACH

The “Weingut Tegernseerhof” has been a family enterprise since the land became private property in 1803. The family claims approximately 24 hectares of vineyards in the best crus (called “Rieden” in Austrian) of the Wachau, and strive to release the distinct characterists of the eastern Wachau's favourable soil and climate conditions in their wines according to vintage and individual vineyard.

Soil maintenance and plant protection are done very carefully and with indulgence of the substance. Green cover protects the earth against drainage and erosion, and permanent weed mowing provides enough humus for the vines. Moderate pruning and thinning out the grapes in years of unfavourable weather conditions guarantees healthy and ripe grapes with good quality.

BRIGITTE STEININGER

The Steininger Winery, or Weingut Steininger, is located in the heart of Langenlois. Their perfectly balanced white wines and exceptional sparkling wines have received national and international awards, earning Steininger a reputation as one of Austria’s best wineries.

The Steininger estate is located in historic downtown Langenlois. The winery combines the best of traditional winemaking techniques with the latest technology to ensure the highest quality end results. The grapes are grown on more than 50 acres of the finest vineyards in the Langenlois region, and the ancient cellars of the estate provide the ideal conditions for Steininger wines to mature. This combination of superior land, ideal vaults, modern technology, meticulous care, and a rich winemaking tradition means that Steininger Winery is able to produce the kind superior-quality wines for which Austria is rapidly becoming famous around the world.

GUSTAV STRAUSS

The Strauss wine estate, whose high-quality products are well-known and widely appreciated beyond the region's borders, is located in Steinbach, near Gamlitz. The enormous Gamlitzberg is the largest single wine-growing area in southern Styria, and offers perfect climatic conditions, ideal south-facing slopes and optimum soil properties for the high-quality grape varieties used by the Strauss wine estate.

KLAUS WITTAUER

Importer Klaus Wittauer of Select Wines will also be on hand pouring other exceptional Austrian wines in his diverse portfolio. More information on Select Wines can be found online at www.kwselection.com.

Tickets can be purchased by calling Planet Wine at (703) 549-3444 or online at LocalWineEvents.com.

Dined at Tallula last night.  Terrific meal all-around but the Braised Veal Cheeks app deserves special attention.  Served atop creamy whipped parsnips and melt-in-your-mouth tender I would say that this possibly is the best dish I've had anywhere lately.  Well done.

Thanks for the positive comment. I know our chef, Nathan Anda, saw your post and was most appreciative.

We LOVE that dish, but currently don't sell a lot of them, so it could be on the chopping block for the next menu!!! AAAGGGHHHH!

I won't be able to attend, but I applaude you for hosting this and I hope that you get a GREAT turnout.

For anyone who is even the SLIGHTEST bit curious about Austrian wines, I urge you to attend, this promises to be an amazing event.

Austrian wines deserve even greater recognition in this country than they already enjoy, and they are generally amazing values.

Worse than missing the wines and their growers, I'm truly going to miss Nathan's food!

Have fun!

Any news on a spring/summer menu for Tallula? I think I've exhausted the current two-bite menu with my frequent visits! With the exception of the risotto fritter (which I found to be a bit bland and the texture not terribly exciting), most items are winners. I particularly enjoy the crab wonton - great sauce.

Any news on a spring/summer menu for Tallula? I think I've exhausted the current two-bite menu with my frequent visits! With the exception of the risotto fritter (which I found to be a bit bland and the texture not terribly exciting), most items are winners. I particularly enjoy the crab wonton - great sauce.

Welcome, Joyce! Thanks for the tip on the crab wonton; I'll be sure to get it on my next visit.

I am quite certain that Nathan is working on a new menu to be launched around the start of April, depending on the quality of seasonal ingredients that are coming in.

I believe a new risotto fritter with an exciting texture will be on the new menu. I hear Nathan is thinking about putting broken clamshells, pop rocks and nails in it! <_<