I'd love to know why Dolan quietly picked up Jackson's next 2 years, knowing about these irreconcilable differences?  And how does Dolan let Phil run last week's draft while this was brewing?  Dolan continues to keep things completely unworkable. Neither Melo nor Jackson were/are the future for the Knicks & Dolan is managing to pay for both without any hope of winning with either.

The Knicks great young players will not develop and build their games while working with a player like Melo who needs the ball and doesn't play much defense.  And the days of running a triangle offense to the championship are gone, so their progress wouldn't occur with Phil either.  A disaster on all fronts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve R. said:

I'd love to know why Dolan quietly picked up Jackson's next 2 years, knowing about these irreconcilable differences?  And how does Dolan let Phil run last week's draft while this was brewing?  Dolan continues to keep things completely unworkable. Neither Melo nor Jackson were/are the future for the Knicks & Dolan is managing to pay for both without any hope of winning with either.

The Knicks great young players will not develop and build their games while working with a player like Melo who needs the ball and doesn't play much defense.  And the days of running a triangle offense to the championship are gone, so their progress wouldn't occur with Phil either.  A disaster on all fronts.

As the news broke that Jackson was going to be terminated and as it occurred I found myself completely unaffected.  Its been years since I moved from the NY area and many years and incidents that have led to complete disconnect from the Knicks, least of all Dolan's term as chief arsehole.

I was very curious as to your reaction. 

Watching the Knicks these last few years has mostly been depressing.  I view Melo as what must be one of the relatively few that gets categorized as an elite member of the "high scorer/miserable teammate/detracts from team wins" category.  It appears that Jackson's focus on the triangle was a complete disaster...and overall his zen ness was a detriment to operating the team.

From what I've read the young players /future draft picks they hold status of the team is pretty good, while the older players expensive contracts status is quite bad.  I guess its one of those "wait til next year" or possibly "wait for 2,3, or 4 years" type of things.  Good luck going forward.

I'm lucky.  I got to watch them at their peak, fairly often in person at the Baltimore Civic Center; relatively inexpensive seats, virtually never sell outs, the Knicks with the most beautiful team game possibly ever; the Bullets with individual players and flash....and some of the greatest mano a mano match ups of all time.  And the two teams were remarkably competitive.  What great Knicks teams.  Over 40 years since they were at their peak and they have gotten close but never achieved as they did back then.  What a pity.  The ironic thing was that back then there was a much better Jackson;  minus the hubris and big mouth; skinny, somewhat discombobulated game, sweeping hooks, good defense.  He was a better version of Phil Jackson back then...and that includes all those years of coaching, at least imho.

As to Dolan's money.  He obviously doesn't care.  He has blown so much $$$ with so many stupid actions over so many years. 

On 7/5/2017 at 8:08 AM, Steve R. said:

As someone who greatly respects Melo's talent but thinks that he's a detriment to the Knicks, I'd love to see him play with LeBron & watch them take on the Warriors.  Frankly, it may be a couple of years too late for his offense to be effective even with LeBron & his lack of defense may well be a bigger problem.  And, does anyone think that JR Smith, who had a pretty good run in Cleveland, misses Melo?  I don't.

"Examining the Knicks' Future, With or Without Carmelo Anthony" by Michael Shapiro on si.com

---

Kristaps Porzingis (DaveO)
Bernard King (DonRocks)