Washington, DC Hikes

21 hours ago, mtureck said:

That's funny...I had lunch in the main dining room a few weeks ago, and I felt that we were being rushed through.

Maybe because we came from hiking in Great Falls, and were looking a little ratty. :)

21 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Billy Goat Trail? That can be a surprisingly tough hike.

20 hours ago, mtureck said:

Yeah, but we only did B and C, so we weren't that disgusting. :)

With that said, we were in hiking shorts and t-shirts, and if they had refused service, I wouldn't have held it against them.

It was pretty empty though.

Section A is the one that puts you on all fours, right? 

I think that in the immediate vicinity (if you don't include parts of Rock Creek Park, and maybe even if you do), the Billy Goat Trail is the nicest hilly hike, and Huntley Meadows Park is the nicest flat hike (although the Mount Vernon Trail south of the 14th Street Bridge - the part with the wooden plank bridge - is up there as well.

In 18 years of growing up here, and 32 years since moving back here, I've done 'em all (even rapelled once off Carderock - that first time leaning backwards off a cliff takes one hell of a leap of faith).

I've been meaning to get back to Teddy Roosevelt Island. I'm glad Al Dente posted the link to the website because I clicked and saw that the island will be closed for the next couple of weeks for the removal of diseased trees from along the maintained trails. I'd check the website first if you're planning to go!

21 minutes ago, dracisk said:

I've been meaning to get back to Teddy Roosevelt Island. I'm glad Al Dente posted the link to the website because I clicked and saw that the island will be closed for the next couple of weeks for the removal of diseased trees from along the maintained trails. I'd check the website first if you're planning to go!

Yes, and the parking lot was closed, I can't recall if that work is done yet, for a bit.  I need to do some more hiking trails in this area- although it is hard for me, growing up in Western Maryland and West Virginia- pretty open country to hike here with so many people and get the same relaxing, refreshed, clean air feeling.  I hiked earlier this Spring in the Lost River area, lots of great trails there.

9 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

Yes, and the parking lot was closed, I can't recall if that work is done yet, for a bit.  I need to do some more hiking trails in this area- although it is hard for me, growing up in Western Maryland and West Virginia- pretty open country to hike here with so many people and get the same relaxing, refreshed, clean air feeling.  I hiked earlier this Spring in the Lost River area, lots of great trails there.

Did you know you can hike from that parking lot all the way to the American Legion Bridge?

In my opinion (and I've done this hike twice), it's a slog, and not worth it, but there is a narrow dirt path that goes all the way (you can imagine going down-up, down-up with the various Potomac River tributaries you'll encounter). I *highly* recommend taking two cars, parking one right by the trailhead by the bridge, and the other at Roosevelt Island - you won't want to hike round-trip, believe me.

I'm a fan of Rock Creek Park.  You can Metro to fun hiking!  

Red Line to Cleveland Park.  A block North on Connecticut is the trail head for the Melvin Hazen Trail.  Follow that down to Peirce Mill.  From there you can pick up the Valley Trail to Pulpit Rock, Boulder Bridge, Rapids Bridge, or the Rock Creek Park Police Station.  Loop back on the Western Ridge Trail.  Exit via Soapstone Valley Park to Van Ness (Hello Breadfurst) or Melvin Hazen (post-hike wine tasting at Weygandt's or grab a slice at Vace), or wander down to the National Zoo (post hike beer and sandwich at Duke's Counter).  

One of my favorite hike days in the area ... okay, it's 1 hour from DC .. but close enough (Billy Goat takes basically 40 min to get to, anyway)... 

Start with

1. Hike Sugarloaf Mountain ... has a very mild-moderate hike, with a nice view at the top... if you take it slow, about 2 hours, but probably could finish in a lot less than that... Then,

2. Drive down the road to the Sugarloaf Winery - has pretty good wines for our area, cheese/hummus/cured meats, live music, a nice outdoor area. Then ..

3. Go to your favorite Rockville Chinese restaurant 

Perfect Saturday in the DMV! Or, I guess just the M

-S

• Like 2

On 6/29/2017 at 4:26 PM, Ferris Bueller said:

Easily accessed for both MD and VA hikers, is Scott's Run about 1/4 mile of 495 on Georgetown Pike.  Parking lot(s) are small and often fill up early on weekends as it is a popular destination.  Several moderately challenging trails to hike on and good for adults and kids too.

If I remember correctly, one of the trails goes all the way to the Potomac River.