Sushi in Grocery Stores

lion

I'm curious what people's experiences are having sushi in grocery stores. Locally, my best experience has been in Balducci's in Mclean. The quality of the sashimi is quite good and even quite close to some DC Japanese restaurants. When I've talked to the sushi chefs working the counter there, they seem to be quite well informed and many years of experience. 

Does anyone have any good experiences in getting sushi from grocery stores? 

I have only gotten the sushi at the Harris Teeter in Old Town at lunchtime, and it was okay.  I'll only get it when the sushi chef is on duty and get something that's just been added to the case, and they are always willing to make up a roll if there isn't a fresh one in the case.  the big drawback is the amount of farmed seafood that is used, which I try to avoid.  There is a pretty good selection of vegetarian sushi if I can't find a wild caught fish sushi in the case.

20 hours ago, MsDiPesto said:

I like the sushi at Wegman's in Fairfax. But I haven't had any since I have difficulty finding a package that doesn't use quinoa and brown rice. 

Disclaimer: I am not much of a seafood eater, salmon and tuna are my speed.

As a far too frequent Wegmans shopper... if someone is behind the sushi counter- they will custom make whatever you want. I sometimes ask for things made just because it is fresher and the rice not ice cold (if it isn't in the cooler below)

4 hours ago, ALB said:

As a far too frequent Wegmans shopper... if someone is behind the sushi counter- they will custom make whatever you want. I sometimes ask for things made just because it is fresher and the rice not ice cold (if it isn't in the cooler below)

Thanks! I get intimidated by the sushi experience.