Tim Ho Wan - East Village Outpost of the Hong Kong-Based Dim Sum Wonderland

When planning our recent NYC jaunt, we remembered reading that the Hong Kong dim sum mini chain, Tim Ho Wan, recently opened a NYC outpost. We'd been to Hong Kong last fall and went twice to one of their outposts there and fell in love with it. So, knowing all of this, we HAD TO GO if we were going to NYC.

We tried to get there the first morning we were there. They open at 10AM and we got there at 10:15 and discovered that there was a one to two hour wait. We gave up (trying to get to the nearby Artichoke Basille's Pizza, but there had been a fire there just the night before - there were a bunch of firefighters there getting instructions from the fire marshal to help figure out the source - so sad, we love that place). Rebuffed, we ended up going straight to Die Neue Gallerie and had a wonderful lunch at their Germanic restaurant on site (but that is another post!).

So the NEXT day, we got smart and got to Tim Ho Wan by 9:25. We were 9th and 10th in line. Yes, yes, I HATE to wait. But they open at 10:00 and we both really, really wanted to go here so the 35 minute wait was what we had to suffer through to get our fix. Be forewarned, if you want to get in the first seating of the day, you'll probably have to get there early or suffer much longer waits later in the day.

We ate our way through the menu, but we ordered two of the baked BBQ pork buns. These are SO MUCH BETTER than steaming them. The NYC version was quite, quite good, though not quiiiiiiite as amazing as those in Hong Kong. Their Deep fried eggplant with shrimp were fine, but I would not bother ordering them again. I wanted the eggplant to have far more crispiness. Their various dumplings are all worth consideration and trying out - we tried many and they were wonderful. I really enjoyed their steamed rice rolls - difficult to eat but very, very good. Their steamed rice with minced beef and pan fried egg was EXCEPTIONAL. The congee, which Hong Kong made me a fan of, with preserved egg was kind of flat. They did not have adequate toppings to doctor up your congee like I expected.

I'd certainly go back here. If you can go with a group, you get to try more. And remember, this is the order off the menu on to little sheets of paper place, not the rolling trolley kind of dim some place. It's some seriously good dim sum.

Photos

Tim Ho Wan NYCTim Ho Wan NYCTim Ho Wan NYCTim Ho Wan NYCTim Ho Wan NYC

• Like 2

aha! Clearly we should all coordinate a big NYC run sometime. We ended up walking by Tim Ho Wan last weekend and I was like-- oooh, now that's a name I recognize! But we were completely out of room for additional food this past trip, so no chance to investigate. Thanks for doing the hard work :)

On 7/9/2017 at 11:46 AM, Pool Boy said:

When planning our recent NYC jaunt, we remembered reading that the Hong Kong dim sum mini chain, Tim Ho Wan, recently opened a NYC outpost. We'd been to Hong Kong last fall and went twice to one of their outposts there and fell in love with it. So, knowing all of this, we HAD TO GO if we were going to NYC.

[This is a very temporary post, Thomas - I just wanted to say "THANK YOU" for adding such a valuable perspective on Tim Ho Wan in East Village vis-a-vis Hong Kong: It matters, and it matters a lot, and coming from an experienced diner such as you, it matters even more. Thank you!]

(Liking Thomas's post will do just as much good for Tim Ho Wan as would writing a post yourself - please do it.)