Vegetables as Main Courses; Meats as Side Dishes

DonRocks

On 7/14/2015 at 0:24 PM, DonRocks said:

I'm reading this conversation in earnest. From my viewpoint, Sally's Middle Name is serving the type (and ratios) of cuisine that I generally try to consume - especially now that I'm getting a bit older. Vegetables as main courses; meats as side dishes ... they don't actually "do that," but it's easy enough to construct yourself a meal in that format. From what I've seen, things that Americans often use in excess (meat, butter, cream, etc.) are used here in moderation, as infusions, or relatively minor ingredients in dishes. I can't emphasize enough how much I love this - it's how I (as someone who cares about people) want America to eat, for whatever that's worth.

"Restaurants Making Vegetables the Star of the Meal" on cbsnews.com

Earth to everyone: "Vegetable-Forward Cooking" is a way to save restaurants money - nothing more; nothing less.

Yes, older, health-conscious diners like me have been doing this for years, but restaurants have only just begun to figure out it's a way for them to make more profit. Anyone who thinks otherwise still believes in Santa Claus.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but make no mistake that it drives down the food cost significantly for restaurants to do this. And to sell it as "caring about the diner" is to add a layer of bullshit on top of the profit. 

Sorry to be so cynical, but people have known for decades that reversing the proportions of meats and vegetables is in the diners' best health interests. I wonder if these "vegetable-forward restaurants" are lowering the prices of their entrees accordingly....