Restaurant Delivery to SE DC - Friend Recently Had a Baby

saf

Hey folks - I'm looking for a place that ISN'T fast food that will delivery to SE DC. One of our church members has recently had a baby, and we'd like to send them a few meals. (3 Fridays in a row, food for 2 people.) I need to be able to pay in advance with a credit card and can either set it up so that they order, or I order.

Any thoughts? They are omnivores.

Other than pizza places, I can't think of specific restaurants that do delivery except for Chinese.  I have kind of a soft spot for Hunan Dynasty on the 200 block of PA Ave., but it's not exactly the pinnacle of Chinese food.  They have free delivery, though.  I don't know how well the setting up credit card payment in advance would work out with them either,

Are the aggregate delivery services in play here?  You can set up deliveries in advance with Doordash.  They deliver to SE from quite a few restaurants that are not fast food.  There are not insignificant fees attached to this, and I don't know how much extra you want to spend for delivery.

If you have Prime, Amazon restaurant delivery is another option.   I still haven't tries it, but I keep thinking I'll order from Panda Gourmet through that one of these days.

You can also try the UberEATS app.  You can type the address in to see if it services that location.  They do deliveries from real restaurants so the variety and quality is a big step up from fast food.  You pay through the app so that solves your payment issue.  Uber driver just drops it off.  Good luck.  It is a good thing you are doing.

I know nothing about this company, which apparently has its kitchen in Ivy City, but I got a mailer from galleyfoods.com today. It's a chef-prepared meal service.  If it's any good, it actually looks almost exactly like what you're looking for. No subscription and delivery includes tax, delivery, and gratuity.  Promo code SUMMER20 for $20 off your first order.  (Offer expires July 31.)  Order for either same-day delivery or in advance. 

Perhaps someone else is familiar enough with them to give a review?

7 hours ago, Pat said:

I know nothing about this company, which apparently has its kitchen in Ivy City, but I got a mailer from galleyfoods.com today. It's a chef-prepared meal service.  If it's any good, it actually looks almost exactly like what you're looking for.

I looked at that earlier - it would be perfect, if it would serve their address. Thank you though.

Places like grubhub.com and doordash.com (be careful about doordash's sneaky "service charge") will deliver from far-away restaurants. You'll pay at least $2.99, and then need to tip the driver, but that's really not such a bad deal.

Note: In Arlington, all three restaurants in Isabella Cove are offering a $2.99 discount now on grubhub.com (which helps to offset the $3.99 delivery charge) - I've used these, and they work seamlessly, but you have to be proactive in activating them (it's obvious as long as you aren't oblivious). 

If anyone wants to sign up for grubhub.com, let me "refer" you to them: You'll get $7 off your first order, and then I'll get $7 off my next order, saving us a combined $14. I don't use these services that often, but you'll get your $7 discount whether I order or not. Simply PM me a junk email address (that you'll use for grubhub), because you'll definitely be getting junk emails from other companies. I have one email account that I use for all businesses - an email account for which spam doesn't bother me. I don't mean to be prostituting myself, but it seems a shame to leave money on the table.

On July 20, 2017 at 11:46 AM, dcs said:

You can also try the UberEATS app.  You can type the address in to see if it services that location.  They do deliveries from real restaurants so the variety and quality is a big step up from fast food.  You pay through the app so that solves your payment issue.  Uber driver just drops it off.  Good luck.  It is a good thing you are doing.

Thanks to all of you - this is the only service that has more than 8 restaurants to their address. Luckily, one of them has an uber account, and gift certificates are available!

• Like 2