Grand Central Market - a Downtown Landmark since 1917 on S. Broadway and W. 3rd Street

Grand Central Market gets a lot of discussion on Slate about the fancification of food halls: Artisanal Tacos on Paper Plates.

I still haven't been, but it's been on my list of to-dos since I moved here (trouble is that I'm only ever downtown for work, and don't have time then to play!). Friends have enjoyed the pupusas and the offerings at Sticky Rice and there is a McConnells (out of Santa Barbara) stand as well!

I tried two tacos from two vendors here.

Villa Moreliana - had the surtido (mixed pork) ... one of the greatest tacos I've ever had. Reminded me of street vendors in DF. $2.75 and huge. While in line, they gave a small sample taco roll up with the meats. Was delish. Charged an extra $1 for not having cash. 

Roast to Go - had the snout. I don't know why I got it. Read on a food blog that it was delicious. Way too chewy/cartilaginous. 

The salsas at these places are so fresh/good. 

I visited the market several times last week for breakfast and can highly recommend the bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich from eggslut.  The chipotle ketchup puts it over the top.  Also not to be missed is the bagel, lox, and cream cheese from Wexler's Deli, that is served with a pickle spear and side of coleslaw or potato salad.  I can vouch for the potato salad.  From their website:

Wexler's uses old-school methods to hand craft our pastrami and smoked salmon. After curing in a special blend of salt and spices, our meats and fish are slowly smoked in house over apple wood and sliced by hand in front of your eyes. Our pickles don't come from a jar; we barrel ferment them in salt brine.

On 8/21/2017 at 10:31 AM, dcs said:

I visited the market several times last week for breakfast and can highly recommend the bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich from eggslut.  The chipotle ketchup puts it over the top.  Also not to be missed is the bagel, lox, and cream cheese from Wexler's Deli, that is served with a pickle spear and side of coleslaw or potato salad.  I can vouch for the potato salad.  From their website:

Ah, these are the exact items I most desire to try from the Market. Thanks for the drool reinforcement.

On 7/24/2017 at 8:58 PM, Sundae in the Park said:

I still haven't been, but it's been on my list of to-dos since I moved here (trouble is that I'm only ever downtown for work, and don't have time then to play!).

Reserve some advanced tickets (they are free) for The Broad on a Saturday or Sunday and make a day of it.  The Broad opens at 10am on the weekends.  I would reserve at 10 and be on line by 9:30 if you want a chance to get into Yayoi Kusama's Infinity Mirrored Room in any reasonable amount of time (there is a separate signup for this once you enter the museum).  The website says the Infinity Mirrored Room will not be available with free general admission beginning October 1, 2017 through early January 2018.  I am not sure if this means a fee will be applied, or if the exhibit will be closed, but the upcoming special exhibitions page indicates the slightly different titled Yayoi Kusama: Infinity Mirrors being exhibited Oct 21, 2017 - Jan 1, 2018.   eggslut and Wexler's both open at 8 so there is plenty of time to eat before heading to The Broad (it is only a couple of blocks and one steep hill away).  It is easy to while away several hours in this place and then it's either back to the Market for lunch, or somewhere else downtown.  It is all walkable.

• Like 1

It turns out that visiting eggslut on the weekends confronts you with a line upwards of 50 people at 8:15am.  As good as these sandwiches may be, that is a wait too long, especially when fine fare can be found at the Sari Sari Store at the opposite end of the market.  It features Filipino cuisine from James Beard Nominated Chef Margarita Manzke and her husband Walter Manzke. I originally tried for the Filipino Breakfast Sandwich (sausage, fried egg, pickles, american cheese, pan de sal), but they said the bread was not finished baking so I would have to wait (I took this as a good sign, despite my disappointment).  I opted instead for the Pinoy BBQ rice bowl (grilled pork ribs, garlic rice,  fried egg) and could not have been happier. Three amply sized pork ribs, well seasoned, some crisp on the outside and succulent to the bone.  A wonderful breakfast that more than carried me to a late lunch in Santa Monica.  I will be back to try some of the other offerings for sure, even if there is no line at eggslut.

sari.jpg

On 11/2/2018 at 7:39 PM, Sundae in the Park said:

This seemingly recent (I think? Why isn't anything dated anymore??!! The stalls seem quite up-to-date, though) round-up from The Infatuation of the best places to eat at GCM has a lot of great pictures that will make you hungry and want to explore. Plenty of places to hit when the Eggslut line is too daunting...

You're right - the lack of a time stamp is problematic, and essentially makes the posts immediately outdated. Thanks for the link, Christine.

On 9/19/2017 at 5:05 AM, dcs said:

It turns out that visiting eggslut on the weekends confronts you with a line upwards of 50 people at 8:15am.  As good as these sandwiches may be, that is a wait too long, especially when fine fare can be found at the Sari Sari Store at the opposite end of the market.  It features Filipino cuisine from James Beard Nominated Chef Margarita Manzke and her husband Walter Manzke. I originally tried for the Filipino Breakfast Sandwich (sausage, fried egg, pickles, american cheese, pan de sal), but they said the bread was not finished baking so I would have to wait (I took this as a good sign, despite my disappointment).  I opted instead for the Pinoy BBQ rice bowl (grilled pork ribs, garlic rice,  fried egg) and could not have been happier. Three amply sized pork ribs, well seasoned, some crisp on the outside and succulent to the bone.  A wonderful breakfast that more than carried me to a late lunch in Santa Monica.  I will be back to try some of the other offerings for sure, even if there is no line at eggslut.

sari.jpg

A lot of places in GCM are closed on a Sunday evening, but no worries, Sari Sari store is open and delicious. We grabbed two quick bowls, the chicken adobo fried rice and the tortang talong, eating a few bites and taking the rest to go. The chicken adobo rice was great, with beautifully seasoned fried rice, pickly and crunchy bits, and a lacy egg on top. The tortang talong, however, was amazing, and something I looked up immediately when I got home. The version we had was a rice bowl, so not the same as the eggplant-egg omelet that seems to be the most common recipe for that term. The Asian eggplant was deeply grilled and laid on top of coconut fried rice (or fried rice with coconut milk? It was kind of wet but not sloppily so), which was then topped with a fried egg and complemented by folded-in Brussel sprouts, mushrooms, and broccoli, all of which were well-seasoned (a touch spicy and very rich) and well-seared. This was such a luxurious, delightful, fall-in-an-exotic-bowl dish, that no meat was missed in the slightest. I really, really want to learn to make something like it, especially since a glance at the current menu and yelp pictures reveals that this combination is seasonal and not always available. The buko (coconut custard) pie is apparently legendary but we were pie-ed out at the end of the Thanksgiving weekend. Next time!!

• Like 2