Restaurant Eve, Old Town Alexandria - Chef Cathal Armstrong and GM Todd Thrasher - Closed Jun 2, 2018

Taking my inspiration from Don, I went to the bar at Eve last night to put together my own Restaurant Week. A very wise decision. I choose crab cakes that had no apparent (to the taste or sight) binder, smooth avocado spread, and some tangy pickled hearts of palm. This was paired with an Eastern Shore corn and baby leek risotto. In a dish like this, the individual flavors can blend and soften. Not here -- the sweet corn was the star. I ended my meal with some peach fritters. Peaches, fried dough, what's not to like? The food portion of my meal was $29. Hands down better then what I've had for restaurant week.

edited for clarity

Edited by laniloa

Joining laniloa I kept to the $30.05 limit, if you don't count my appetizer. :wub: I started with the bar menu order of olive oil poached tuna and it was a delicious blend of flavor and texture.

I then had the Moroccan lamb that was served with a side 'salad' of apricots, roquefort, mint, and greens with a drizzle of harissa on the plate. The lamb was enjoyable, but the accompaning salad was terrific. With this I also ordered a side of the risotto, which was an explosion of sweet corn goodness.

For dessert I had the blueberry galette, and with the coaching of JG (yes he is always there), asked for extra blueberry coulis. Wonderfully flaky pastry crust surrounding a bit of almond cream and blueberries with a dollop of cream on top. A great way to end the meal.

BTW, we all were commenting on how good Todd "Studbolt" Thrasher looked, so remember to go and vote! :P

Edited by mdt

I don't really want to go over the whole course by course experience, now that I have a few moments to go in to more detail. But I'd rate the whole experience just 'good'.

Seriously.

It is a nice place. It's well designed and tastefully designed. We were well attended to. The food was good. But....just 'good'.

We ate in the Tasting Room. Our 2-top was a little too close to the next two-top for comfortable conversation until the room filled with a bit more noise. The table itself was a bit long, which was welcome for both of us as we are long legged, but it further hindered close conversation.

The food, well, we opted for a 9-course tasting things. It was good. Especially the first scallops course. But after that, well, it was just OK. Don't get me wrong, the food was good. But not wow food to me. Nowhere near. I'd heard this place had been compared to Palena for its seasonality and creativity. This is a rung below Palena, IMHO.

What I look for in a truly wonderful dining experience is well, there's a lot. A nice room, that is not too noisy. The tables are reasonably far apart enough from each other that allows each table its conversations to be at least somewhat private. I expect it to be nicely appointed. I expect the service to be attentive but not too attentive. I prefer a BYOW friendly restaurant, but I can live with a well-chosen and reasonably marked up menu (with a few 'easter eggs' for those with a bit of knowledge can find on the list). And I want the food to rock. I like the food to taste amazing, with layers of flavors and textures and smells -- ideally in a way that best accentuates the ingredients (not overly complex, mind you, or trying too hard either). Not every meal has to do this for me, but when I go out to a very nice meal, I try to choose places that I hope I can experience what I have just described.

My RE experience just did not execute on all of these levels.

It was a reasonably good dinner. But the QPR on it was somewhat not as good as I had hoped (even factoring the wine out of the equation).

For me, I'll probably not go back but not because of just this one experience (only partly so). I live in Laurel and this is a bit of a drive for me. If it truly was great, I'd drive almost any distance. But this wasn't that amazing to me. Each restaurant is different and each restaurant has different ideas of what they want to be and to achieve. Restaurant Eve was good, just not good enough for me to make the trek again most likely.

(made some minor edits -- I have food course comments coming soon (which I will post separately), as I was waiting for Cathal's chat to end per DR's request).

Edited by TJaehnigen

The food, well, we opted for a 9-course tasting things. It was good. Especially the first scallops course. But after that, well, it was just OK. Don't get me wrong, the food was good. But not wow food to me. Nowhere near. I'd heard this place had been compared to Palena for its seasonality and creativity. This is a rung below Palena, IMHO.

IMHO, though Palena is a very good restaurant which we will visit on occasion, particularly because of the proximity to home (5 minutes), we'll gladly continue to trek across the river to Eve where the food always dazzles with fresh LOCAL, seasonal ingredients and creative, amazing preparation. [Cathal and Nathan -- you guys ROCK!] As for SERVICE, while efficient and pleasant at Palena, it pales in comparison to that of EVE, particularly in the tasting room.

This Saturday, the Tasting Room at Eve -- I can't wait!

-Camille

Went in Friday night for dinner at the bar and had mixed feelings when we showed up and the place was packed. On one hand, you like to see Eve so full that everyone else is eating in the bar; on the other, you want to try that olive oil-poached tuna and you want to try it now.

A few minutes and several tomato water bloody marys later, we elbowed our way into some seats at the bar and went appetizer crazy: mussels with curry, the aforementioned tuna, hawaiian blue prawns, and a cheese tasting. The mussels, brought to us by the Chef himself, were the highlight of the evening. Spooned with just the right amount of curry broth, they had a tangy kick to them. These are very different from the previous, more traditional preparation that used to be on the menu. Try them!

The tuna was... well, it was tuna poached in olive oil and that's exactly what it tasted like, and it was delicious. Same can be said for the prawns, which we were told are only available at 5 places on the east coast, and Eve is the only one around here that has them. Tres cool. The cheese, as always, was a great end to the meal, and inspired us to make our first visit to Cheesetique the next day and stock up the fridge with stinky, moldy goodness.

Now it's Monday, and my mind is scheming ways to get back there for lunch this week to try the peach fritters.

We were able (finally) to go to Eve Saturday for our pre-anniversary dinner. Our reservations were at 7, but we severely misjudged the amount of time it would take to get in from Woodbridge. We arrived about 6:15. I had vaguely hoped we would be steered to the bar to wait, but the table was available immediately.

Just an excellent dinner. My wife began with the purple basil cocktail - limon rum-based topped with a basil infused foam. She said it was very light and refreshing, and on any other night, would have led to many more. She also had the beet/goat cheese salad as a starter and the halibut at the main. Gone, all gone. I was able to get a "taste" of her halibut, but since it measured about 5 mm by 4 mm, I wasn't really able to taste it.

I had the rillettes of rabbit to start, followed by the special veal chop. Veal chop cooked about 99.95% perfectly - I wish it had a little more crispy bits, but that's just personal preference. Our waiter (sorry, but I didn't get his name) was able to steer us to some wines by the glass that matched perfectly with the menu choices. The training program at Eve must really be effective.

The only downside to the experience is the new bruises I have from kicking myself for not going to Eve sooner.

IMHO, though Palena is a very good restaurant which we will visit on occasion, particularly because of the proximity to home (5 minutes), we'll gladly continue to trek across the river to Eve where the food always dazzles with fresh LOCAL, seasonal ingredients and creative, amazing preparation.  [Cathal and Nathan -- you guys ROCK!]  As for SERVICE, while efficient and pleasant at Palena, it pales in comparison to that of EVE, particularly in the tasting room. 

This Saturday, the Tasting Room at Eve  -- I can't wait!

-Camille

OK...I suppose it is OK now for me to post my comments about the food at my recent experience at RE (now that the chat is over). My comments are not meant to slam RE or their staff or owners or chefs, etc. My comments are merely what they are. Take them for what they are -- just my own humble opinion. You mileage may vary.

I think I have already commented that the food was good. I think I have already commented that the service was good as well as comments about the room (a bit too noisy, the tables just a tad too close together, the tables themselves a bit too long (so as to hinder conversation where you could actually talk with each other). All that aside....here goes.

I do not remember every exact course as I did not get a copy of the menu nor did I take notes. But here we go ----- The amuse bouchee sampler was quite nice, tasty and inventive. Lost of nice and fresh tastes. The first course was a scallops thing that was probably the course of the night for me. Just great. There was a spring onion veloutte(?)/soup, that was nice, but nothing really special. I opted to pay the supplement to get the foie gras course and this was nice, too, perhaps better than most of the other courses, but it did not really wow me either. Still, good. There was a fish with jasmine-'sticky' rice that was probably the least desirable (to me) course of the night. The rice was not sticky, but perhaps that is why it was in quotes. The fish was barely warm and it was a bit flavorless and too sweet. Actually, a lot of the courses that we had that evening struck me as too sweet overall. I am not sure why, but that does resonate with me. Why did a lot of the stuff border on being too sweet (or actually cross that border)? Hmm. There was an acceptable quail stuffed with a foie and mushroom thing and it was tasty enough, and it was prepared well enough, but it failed to really make me revel in the food experience. There was also a gnocchi thing (I can't remember if it was on its own or as a side to something else) which was good. Still no wow, but good enough. I know we had a lobster cremem brulee thing in there as well and that was tasty. I also forgot about the drinks we had to stat the night. My wife had a very nice Sidecar (not the best she has ever had, but well made and tasty nonetheless) and I had a, what was it called 'Modern Gibson' or something like that which was just OK.

I guess I went in expecting something.....different. The foodstuffs were fresh and were largely put together capably. The flavor combos generally worked (except for the general sweetness of things), but there was no real thing there that made me want to rave about the place. Except for maybe the scallops. Everything else about the experience was good enough, too. But I'd say that, based on this one experience, returning there is not a high priority for me. Perhaps choosing my courses next time might be the way to go if/when I go back... While I'll probably eventually go back to try things out again, I am not in any rush to do so.

A couple of remarks regarding some things currenlty on Eve's tasting menu:

1. Sweet Corn Veloutte-main ingredient: crack cocaine

2. Rabbit Sampler-main ingredient: ambrosia

3. Escolar with fingerling potatoes and haricot vert-main ingredient: unobtainium

4. Squab with "little pocket of treasures"-main ingredients: nectar of the gods

5. Chocolate Souffle w/milk cholcolate sauce-main ingredient-heroin

6. Limoncello cocktail-main ingredient-synthetic codiene

If the bar is full at 7:30, just wait a few minutes, seats will open up (unless everyone at the bar has food in front of them).

There will be 2 menus to choose from: a bar menu and the bistro menu and you can order items off of both if you like. There also might be a special or two, ask the bartenders (Tami, Andrea and Ken). Also, be sure to ask how the risotto is prepared, it changes frequently. The last risotto had sweet corn in it. Everything on the menu will be great. My suggestion is to order something that would be out of the ordinary for you. But, I'm sort of partial to the braised pork belly.

The cheese course is to be recommended as well 3, 5 or 7 cheese platters.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

main ingredient: unobtainium

Is this a newly discovered "rare earth" element?

I was thinking of having dinner at the RE Bar toinght. Will there be a problem for us to get seats around 7:30ish? Also, anyone have any recs as to what to order in the bar area? Thanks.

The bar traffic ebbs and flows. My advice is that if you get there and can't find a seat, just order a drink and hang out until something opens. I don't recommend sitting at one of the low tables if you are planning to eat much.

As for what to order, I believe the entire bistro menu is available and well worth considering. I've gone with a sampler of several starters to full-on starter, main, salad, dessert and either way works depending on your mood and your moolah.

Staff recommendations are also a good way to go.

Damn, now my drink plans are ruined, I guess I'll have to order my fallback...Coors Light :P

You could always ask for a Seagram's Strawberry-Kiwi Wine Cooler from the secret stash under the bar. :wub:

Oh, wait a minute -- that would be at the Old Town CVS around the corner. My bad.

Edited by tripewriter

Restaurant Eve will be observing "holiday hours" for the next two weeks, starting this Monday. They will be closed all day Sunday to Tuesday (yes, I know they're always closed Sundays, but maybe everyone else doesn't?) and Wednesday to Saturday they will be open for dinner only. Things return to normal after Labor Day.

Edited to add: it'd be great if Eve could put this up on their website, but I've never seen the thing updated.

This means you have two days to get in and try the White Tuna Salad during the Lickety-Split Lunch. Pair it with a drink or dessert, because it's entree size, baby! It comes with two large morsels of perfectly seared white tuna with just the right amount of thyme, sitting atop a large mound of market greens mixed with cherry tomatoes, boiler onions and chanterelle mushrooms. It gets my vote for sexiest salad of the summer (soon to be a contest in DC Style mag, I'm sure).

Edited by Capital Icebox

It is a sad fact of life that when one lives in Dupont Circle and leads an insane life, one sacrifices certain things to convenience. This is how, for instance, one is occasionally found at Kramerbooks at 3 a.m. chewing on slice of pecan pie scarily similar to a misshapen brick in taste, look and texture instead of licking clean the dish of chocolate sabayon at Corduroy. Or getting one's fill at a pedestrian sushi joint next door instead of hauling arse to Kotobuki. Or renting, for a hundredth time, This is Spinal Tap from a video store next door and retiring home in skanky sweatpants with a sixpack of Coronas instead of expanding one's horizons in a little black dress over an undubbed French movie with wine and cheese at Maison Francais.

But I digress.

However, there are times when one's desire for better things in life overcomes one's penchant for convenient city livin' and proclaimed disdain for Virginia. This is the time when one picks up the phone and makes a reservation at Eve. Because the need to cross the river no longer feels like a big enough deal to give up the wonderful things that lie within.

If I had a home big enough for big parties, I would want it to feel exactly like Eve's bistro dining room and bar. Stylish. Warm. Comfortable. Uncluttered. Full of attractive people. Classy. And incredibly inviting.

My friend and I got the same table that I had when I dined at Eve first - which was many, many months ago and I don't get out there all that often. In fact, I get out there very rarely at all. Why did they remember? Because of the same unwavering attention to detail that makes food and ambience such a delight and comfort to senses.

I started with goat cheese and beets salad where every ingredient tasted like it is supposed to, only ten times more flavorful. This salad, despite its frequent sighting on menus around town, is a dish to which many are called but very few chosen. In Eve's version, the greens are crisp, the beets sweet and crunchy, and the cheese mild and tangy, and all inredients remain themselves in this delightful combo.

My main has been selected for weeks. I spent three hours that morning in the gym jumping around like a deranged goat getting ready for that main. For that main, I've been praying like this: "Dear God, please make tonight's specials at Eve good but not super-appealing because I don't want to change my mind. They should be getting ready with specials right about now, so thank you for your immediate attention to my request. Thank you."

You guessed right - it's the pork belly. So many things I can say, so many wasted bytes and so much fingertip agony, just to give you a tiniest hint of the crispy skin, the comforting layer of fat, the melting pork flesh. Poetry is written for such dishes and relationships are broken over such dishes (you don't like fat? don't think young ladies should eat that? It's just not going to work out between us).

Thanks to Cathal's kind heart, we had a midcourse of lobster tail with gnocchi and a sauce of magic ingredients in which I believe butter and fennel were involved. My friend proclaimed that this dish was the best she had for years, a beautiful showcase for the kitchen's ability to coax so much flavor out of every ingredient yet leave the impression of not having messed with them.

Dessert, peach fritters, a beauty again, but getting full right now and moving to the bar. Am not allowed to carry own drink to bar. Not because I'm tipsy (what, on half bottle of riesling?) but because the polish and class of Eve's staff would not have guests carrying their own beverages. Enjoyed the most pleasing finishing touch lingering in the bar over Todd's summer creation cocktail.

What can I say? If Eve was in Dupont Circle, I'd be there as much as I am at Palena right now. This restaurant is a credit to DC dining scene, and I reserve this compliment for very few places. I can't thank Meshelle, Cathal, Todd and everyone else enough for creating an experience that delights and comforts on every level. From being on the other side of that, I know that to do a job THAT good requires a mindboggling amount of work, attention to every little thing and refusal to compromise on quality.

Meshelle and Cathal are geniuses. I love you guys. Thank you.

Nominee for the Finest Forkful of Food Feasted Upon by Anyone in the Greater DC Metro Area on the Evening of September 14th, 2005:

Rabbit Rillette

Sublime. Order yourself that charcuterie plate!

I really dig that tomato water bloody too!

Edited by Al Dente

I'd love to write a full description of our experience last night, but I don't have enough words!

We had our engagement party there last night, and from start to finish, the evening was a smashing success! We were told time and time again that it was the best meal that our guests had ever had -- ever from those who had been to Eve with us before!

We started with fabulous canapes and the new plum cocktail -- as one of our guests said, this cocktail could be dangerous! It's sweet without being cloying, fruity without being annoying. It's, in a word, lovely. The canapes were (and I'm not nearly doing them justice! Help, tripewriter!) great: a thin, flaky cracker with anchovy and a creamy lemon sauce was tart and salty, a partridge thingy (there's a real word, but my mind's erased it) on a paper-thin slice of crisp sweet potato was earthy, and my particular favorite, the deviled quail's egg on brioche with caviar (!) was irresistable -- salty, creamy, crispy. Yum.

We started with a lobster bisque in beautiful hand-painted bowls -- just right, with basil oil floating (in wee little drops) on top. I have to take a moment here to talk about the square, salted onion bread. Oh. My. It was superb -- we could (and did) eat it piece by piece by piece by...the rolls were also lovely (buttery and crispy...yum), but the onion bread...wow.

Second we had the olive-oil-poached escolar (with the ham vinaigrette! Who thinks of ham vinaigrette? A genius!) -- tender and succulent, with lovely lima beans and fingerling potatoes.

Third was an astounding dish: Shafer Farm roasted venison with spinach, huckleberries, and a chestnut custard. Wow. I had my "perfect bite" during this dish, where it's just the right amount of everything and everything melds and blends and is just...well...perfect! Lovely.

Then we had a cheese selection, and we swear that someone at Cheesetique gave us away! We had the remarkable green yak cheese (also good on chili and soup!), brie de meaux, and stilton...the bread they served with the cheeses was also delish, with nuts and (I believe?) golden raisins, but for me the most outstanding part of this course was the cardamom-soaked dried apricot. Wow -- what a flavor!!! Delectable.

We ended the meal with the figs with honey ricotta custard...yum. Not too sweet (and not too crunchy!), but just right.

A plate of what looked to be delectable tiny tastes finished the meal -- I didn't get to try many, but rumor has it that they were all fantastic.

All in all, possibly the best night -- and the best dinner party -- I've ever had. The food was, obviously, superb, and the staff were outstanding -- friendly, helpful, supremely knowledgeable...lovely. I was struck in particular with how kind and careful they were with our guests' special needs and requests -- no hint of anything but helpfulness and professionalism!

In summary, if you're looking for a place to have a special dinner, you can't get more special than the tasting room at Restaurant Eve. Thanks to all for a truly memorable evening!

(PS: The scary thing is, our guests kept coming up to us and saying, "Well, if this is the engagement party, what's the wedding going to be like?!" Uh oh! :lol: )

Ok, take a close look at this photo:

post-241-1128736821_thumb.jpg

Remember what you saw and make sure that you order it the next time you visit Eve. This heaven-on-a-plate just happens to be seared fois gras wrapped in brioche with fois gras terrine and figs.... oh. my. god.

I don't know what this is (or will be) called but it's pretty much the most decadent thing you can possibly put in your mouth. (no comments from Rocks, please :lol: )

Brioche as described by Julia Child in "The Way to Cook":

"Brioche dough, made with with eggs and rich with butter, is certainly a wonder of the baker's art -- but certainly not a dough for everyday eating, and most certainly not a dough for the fat or faint-hearted. It's for celebrations."

Don't you just love Julia?

Congratulations, Cathal!!! People like you should be admitted in the country immediately under The Gene Pool Improvement Act - my own proposed bill that I lobby tirelessly with any old congressman who happens to stumble into Bis. The gist of it is that anyone who is beautiful, talented and has IQ over a certain point should be granted citizenship on the spot. Two congressmen from nondescript districts are already behind this :lol:

I see Eve has wasted no time in capitalizing on Sietsema's "gastronomic epiphany" characterization.

My first epiphany there shall take place in the tasting room on November 1, for our second anniversary dinner. Gah! I'm drooling now.

Will I feel weird if I don't wear a jacket? Because I hate wearing a jacket. And I hate ties even more, so please don't tell me I have to wear one of those.

I see Eve has wasted no time in capitalizing on Sietsema's "gastronomic epiphany" characterization.

My first epiphany there shall take place in the tasting room on November 1, for our second anniversary dinner.  Gah!  I'm drooling now.

Will I feel weird if I don't wear a jacket?  Because I hate wearing a jacket.  And I hate ties even more, so please don't tell me I have to wear one of those.

No jackets or ties required. Beau usually wears business casual. - nice slacks/shirt. All Eve asks via their sign out front that you not wear jeans.

-Camille

Email message from The American Institute of Wine and Food ( AIWF):

HOPING TO MEET ONE OF THE AREA'S VERY BEST CHEFS? 

WANT TO GAIN A LITTLE GARDENING KNOWLEDGE?

WOULD YOU LIKE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN A CHILD'S LIFE ?

SPEND A COUPLE OF HOURS VOLUNTEERING FOR AIWF'S DAYS OF TASTE... 

AND YOU WILL TAKE HOME MORE THAN YOU EVER EXPECTED.... 

Volunteers are needed to assist in this month's DAYS OF TASTE activities on November 2nd at 12:30 pm. 

Celebrated Chef Cathal Armstrong of Restaurant Eve and farmer David Lankford will join us for a lesson in cooking and growing with the 5th graders of Webb Elementary School. Farmer David Lankford, who supplies produce to some of the area's best restaurants will help the students plant the seeds for their greenhouse. And Chef Armstrong will lead the group in a cooking demonstration that highlights the best seasonal offerings. 

Volunteers are needed to assist in the days activities. Every volunteer will be able to participate in a means that they feel comfortable, from helping the Chef prep. to assisting the children in planting seeds. 

What: Days of Taste Cooking Demo & Planting, featuring Chef Cathal Armstrong of Restaurant Eve

When : Wednesday, November 2nd

1pm - 2:15pm (volunteers should arrive by 12:30pm) 

1375 Mount Olivet Rd NE

Washington, DC 20002

District of Columbia Public Schools

School Phone#: (202) 724-4543 

TO VOLUNTEER, PLEASE CONTACT HEIDI HANSON at CHEFS@WARNERHANSON.COM or call 202.255.9093. 

** We are also seeking donations of KITCHEN ITEMS, UTENSILS, MIXING BOWLS, and other "GENTLY USED" KITCHEN ITEMS for Days of Taste. 

CASH DONATIONS are also accepted. **

Contact HEIDI HANSON - 202.255.9093 for pickup.

Wife and I are going to the tasting room for our anniversary next week.  Anyone know what the tasting menu looks like or what Thrasher is cooking up in the basement?

I think the menu changes frequently (daily?) so you will have to wait and see.

My wife and I celebrated our second anniversary in the tasting room last night. What an experience. In lieu of a blow-by-blow, here are some assorted thoughts:

1. We arrived 45 minutes early with the expectation of sitting at the bar. However, the bar was packed and our table happened to be available, so we sat immediately and had cocktails at the table. The Yin and Tonic was more than I thought a gin and tonic could be. So good.

2. Todd Thrasher is a force of nature. He is a virtuoso with wine selection. (I, though not my pint-sized wife, had wine pairings.) While we were waiting for our cheese course to arrive, I heard him ask our waitress what cheeses we had ordered. She told him, and he knew exactly what bottle to go for. Presenting it to me, he explained in detail how the wine complemented the (highly pungent) cheeses I'd chosen. Just as impressively, Thrasher was as likely as anyone else to be the one to clear the plates from our table. He's friendly and unstuffy, and totally refreshing.

3. Same goes for the entire service experience. There were no missed beats. Timing was perfect. Early on, I thought they were, perhaps, going too fast in moving us from course to course. I soon realized, though, that their pace was dictated by ours, and it was really difficult to slow down when everything tasted so damned good.

4. My hot courses were lobster creme brulee; escolar; and tripe. (We each did the 5-course.) The lobster creme brulee and tripe were new experiences for me. Call me boring, but the escolar was my favorite. It was so tender that the merest pressure of my fork broke it to pieces.

5. Each course looks small on the plate, but it's a bunch of food when aggregated. Early on, I wondered whether it would be enough. By the end, though, we were saying "No mas! No mas!", and we had them box up our petits-fours. I remember someone in one of the recent restaurant chats complained about the huge size of portions at Eve. I certainly wouldn't complain, but I also agree that they add up.

6. As anniversary presents, we got a little bag of ground coffee and a bag of scone mix. I half-expected the coffee based on others' experiences, but the scone mix was a surprise. Now I have to get my wife to make the scones, because I would do them no justice, I'm sure.

Truly memorable.