Restaurant Eve, Old Town Alexandria - Chef Cathal Armstrong and GM Todd Thrasher - Closed Jun 2, 2018

When she finished pouring she went back to the workstation and did not taste the wine but instead threw it back!

I am confused by this statement. What does "threw it back" mean? Threw it back into her gullet? Threw it back into the bottle? Into a waste container?

Sorry but I do not have much experience with sommeliers or fine wine in fine restaurants or the rituals thereof. Explanation appreciated.

I am confused by this statement. What does "threw it back" mean? Threw it back into her gullet? Threw it back into the bottle? Into a waste container?

Sorry but I do not have much experience with sommeliers or fine wine in fine restaurants or the rituals thereof. Explanation appreciated.

I didn't quite understand this either. Speaking for myself, when a server or sommelier presents me with a tasting pour for my approval (always, always appreciated, doubly so when a wine is being served by the glass), the only reason I taste the wine at all is to check the temperature; I've already made the decision whether the wine is sound (or not) by simply smelling it. Quite often, if I know the restaurant and how they store their wines (which the sommelier at Eve clearly does), I'll already have full confidence in the temperature, and will swirl the wine, put the glass up to my nose, quickly check the bouquet, set it back down on the table without having tasted it, and nod my head yes saying "it's great, thanks," often to the bewilderment of the pourer. :)

Pretentious? Oh yeah. Delightfully so. But also very accurate. And when the cork is presented to me, the vast majority of the time I'll simply push it aside, giving the pourer a signal that I do not wish to go through the ritual of sniffing it (this subtle gesture works 100% of the time, btw).

Cheers,

Rocks

I read it a few times this morning and I took it as "knocking it back" as one would do with a shot of hard liquor. But, that was the only that came to my mind for imagery as I read kmm's sentence. This is all I am contributing on this topic, as I wasn't there.

I read it a few times this morning and I took it as "knocking it back" as one would do with a shot of hard liquor. But, that was the only that came to my mind for imagery as I read kmm's sentence. This is all I am contributing on this topic, as I wasn't there.

I am not the best writer - I was referring to drinking it like a shot and not a professional sommelier taste but also definitely not pouring it back into the bottle! The service other than not opening at the table and taking some without checking with the table was totally fine.

Today I spoke with an advanced level sommelier who works in a recent James Beard award winning restaurant who gave his perspective to why it was inappropriate the way she did it. He also mentioned who should do it [credentials] and where it should be done [like Per Se or only a handful of US spots]. Even as someone who is working towards the master level he mentioned he would not feel comfortable unless he had the table's permission.

I really regret posting anything...

I read the whole Eve thread and came across the post I initially quoted which lead to my post which is also very similar to another poster who thought the same behavior was odd...

What does it matter what I like to drink? I know going there is only going to be 1/2 the experience that I'd like when I do fine dining. I am totally fine with that.

As for wine list yes the Inn is up there but my favorite local one was Les Paradou - I always had a hard time deciding on which hidden gem.

I am not the best writer - I was referring to drinking it like a shot and not a professional sommelier taste but also definitely not pouring it back into the bottle! The service other than not opening at the table and taking some without checking with the table was totally fine.

Today I spoke with an advanced level sommelier who works in a recent James Beard award winning restaurant who gave his perspective to why it was inappropriate the way she did it. He also mentioned who should do it [credentials] and where it should be done [like Per Se or only a handful of US spots]. Even as someone who is working towards the master level he mentioned he would not feel comfortable unless he had the table's permission.

I read the whole Eve thread and came across the post I initially quoted which lead to my post which is also very similar to another poster who thought the same behavior was odd...

What does it matter what I like to drink? I know going there is only going to be 1/2 the experience that I'd like when I do fine dining. I am totally fine with that.

As for wine list yes the Inn is up there but my favorite local one was Les Paradou - I always had a hard time deciding on which hidden gem.

As for tossing the taste back, that would surprise me, but the rest of the procedure is certainly nothing out of the ordinary.

Why does it matter what you like to drink? You said there is nothing on the list that you like and wish you could BYO. I find it amazing that a restaurant like Eve does not have something similar (if not exactly) to your narrow list of likes.

I am curious, what happens when you go to places that serve food that don't go with the wine that you like? Do you switch to beer?

This sentiment appears to be recurring frequently on the board lately...... :)

FWIW - I hit a trifecta this year having been to Eve's Tasting Room, The Inn at LW and Komi. The food and wine at Eve blew the others out of the water. In particular, the pairings at Eve were phenomenal compared the pairings at Komi. Thrasher is my hero.

It seems that replying to that one point has led to a hyper-focus on that one element of your experience, which you have said more than once was a fairly minor point. If that had just been one comment in an overall review of the entire meal, the wine service issue would have appeared in a different perspective. At this point, you might feel gun-shy about the posting the fuller review you mentioned initially, but I'm interested in what the whole meal was like if you're interested in writing about it :).

All I know is that I have read criticisms of my own restaurant online that I know to be false {ie people who say a meal took 2 hours when the computerized record of their meal says 1 hour and 15 minutes... ooops!} and others that I know to be spot on. No one who was not there can know what really happened and then those who were there will have different stories to tell.

Rashomon.

I didn't quite understand this either. Speaking for myself, when a server or sommelier presents me with a tasting pour for my approval (always, always appreciated, doubly so when a wine is being served by the glass), the only reason I taste the wine at all is to check the temperature; I've already made the decision whether the wine is sound (or not) by simply smelling it. Quite often, if I know the restaurant and how they store their wines (which the sommelier at Eve clearly does), I'll already have full confidence in the temperature, and will swirl the wine, put the glass up to my nose, quickly check the bouquet, set it back down on the table without having tasted it, and nod my head yes saying "it's great, thanks," often to the bewilderment of the pourer. :)

Pretentious? Oh yeah. Delightfully so. But also very accurate. And when the cork is presented to me, the vast majority of the time I'll simply push it aside, giving the pourer a signal that I do not wish to go through the ritual of sniffing it (this subtle gesture works 100% of the time, btw).

That's exactly my MO as well. Which kind of scares me a little.

It seems that replying to that one point has led to a hyper-focus on that one element of your experience, which you have said more than once was a fairly minor point. If that had just been one comment in an overall review of the entire meal, the wine service issue would have appeared in a different perspective. At this point, you might feel gun-shy about the posting the fuller review you mentioned initially, but I'm interested in what the whole meal was like if you're interested in writing about it :).

[First of all, speaking as moderator, I'd like to apologize for not moderating this exchange properly. I, too, thought that kmm was suspect. Why? Pat sums up my feelings in a nutshell - too much emphasis on one incident that seemed blown out of proportion to the meal as a whole. But I was in a hurry that day, and I didn't take the time to either check the membership roster, or to write kmm privately asking for more clarification.

But as it turns out, not only is he entirely legitimate, I even know him and have been to wine tastings with him before. Indeed, there is a very small universe of wines that he loves, but he is a thoughtful person and a serious oenophile. He even met Member #1, many years ago, and told me a touching story about how he still remembers us from that evening.

We've PM'd back-and-forth (a very productive exchange), and I think he'd like a chance to clarify and post more about his entire experience - which, if everyone reads closely, is largely positive.

Again, I take the blame for all of this for not doing my job as moderator. Please give kmm a chance to reply before jumping back into this.]

Cheers,

Rocks

I am not the best writer - I was referring to drinking it like a shot and not a professional sommelier taste but also definitely not pouring it back into the bottle!

No, your writing was fine, you evoked exactly the image that you have further clarified upon my question.

But I remain puzzled. I have never observed this particular ritual, this tasting of your bottle of wine by the sommelier.

Whether the drinking of your wine by your sommelier was a "professional sommelier taste" or "drinking like a shot", regardless, it surprises me. I can't even imagine being able to take a taste from every wine bottle served in a very busy and very fine restaurant upon an evening and remain standing. I can't even imagine ordering a very expensive bottle of wine with the knowledge that a small glass is going to be scarfed up by the sommelier as, what, tax? Tribute?

It all seems very improbable.

But what do I know?

I'm sorry that you feel that way, but given the reception your post recieved, i understand it. However, if you do decide to post on the rest of your experience there, i at least would be interested in reading it.

I agree, what you like or don't like is utterly irrelevant. your post was about the behavior of the sommelier, opening the wine away from the table, taking what you felt to be an unduly large portion to taste, and tasting it in a less than refined manner. what you like or don't like has no bearing on any of those observations. and, for what it's worth, despite the protestations of many of the people who replied to your post that the staff at eve could never, ever have behaved in a less than perfect manner, you're not the first person on this board to complain about the wine service, see for example, wendydb22's post.

i've had people taste my wine before, and it's generally fine, though if i'd paid a lot for a bottle, and they took more than a sip, i too would be irked, particularly if 4 diners were going to be splitting the wine (so there'd be barely enough wine for everyone as it is)

i hope you're not dissuaded from posting in the future.

Ah, in that case I will post about my experience at Vidalia two weeks ago (not restaurant week). Had the lunch special. Unbelievable quality, shockingly large quantity - more than I usually eat at dinner. Eighteen bucks. Place was almost empty. Hope they keep offering it, but hope they don't fall victim to Lickity Split syndrome.

In popularity? It can be tough to find a seat sometimes.

Yes, popularity. The food quality has never faltered at the Lickity Split, but it's now impossible to get a seat there, and it's a long meal.

Lickety Split is my personal best value in restaurants anywhere in MD, DC or VA that I've tried. And, Eve is probably one of my top 3 restaurants here, along with Palena and I'd have to think more to ID the third. Chefs Ruta and Armstrong both bring innovation and near obsession with ingredient quality with amazing consistency. From LS' bread and iced tea to the soups (oh, those veloutes) and different pork sandwiches (usually on homemade potato buns), it's always a sure thing. And, while I partly agree with Porcupine that LS has become more discovered in recent years, my own experience on an at-least monthly basis is that it is very possible to get a seat there with usually no wait. I've also been able to be in and out in under 45 minutes when I regrettably needed to. Eve and the Armstrongs are regional treasures. Likewise on Eammon's for fish & chips: hands down best available anywhere around here and I don't think I've had better in the US.

Can a waiter at a fine dining establishment realize when they cross the line between "fine" service and aloofness? Or, perhaps more tangibly, the line between respecting privacy and ignoring diners?

As diners, can we put service in perspective, and not expect perfection just because a restaurant has a great overall reputation? And by the same token, can we be sure we're not blinding ourselves to bad service by obsessing on the hype of a restaurant?

I found myself struggling with these questions last night during my long overdue first-time visit to Restaurant Eve. It's only fair to preface my comments with 2 disclaimers: 1. My food was excellent. I glanced at the menu only briefly and decided to put my fate in the chef's (or waiter's?) hands. Everyone in our group agreed that both my appetizer (Steak tartare) and entrée (pork belly with garlic/shallots/other goodness) were the best dishes ordered at the table. 2. I was really put-off by the contract that they sent the organizer of our 6-person party. It asked him to sign and fax back, agreeing that we would not be "rowdy" and that we would vacate our table by 8:45 (our reservation was 5:30). Asking for a deposit to avoid no-shows is one thing. And I fully appreciate management's desire to maintain a sophisticated atmosphere, but this was pretty ridiculous. Upon further research, (the R-Eve website, words on the front door), I started sniffing out an air of arrogance and stuffiness that I try to avoid at all costs. "As it should be, one will find the ladies that dine with us take the time look spectacular and dress in fine garments for dinner." I fully appreciate fine dining, but come on guys, act like you've been there.

With that said, here's the rest. We arrived a few minutes early, and checked out the bar area. Loved it. Kind of an Old-Town-ized version of a North-Bay (SF) wine bar. Very chill. Friendly bartender who topped off my in-law's Kir Royale's with extra bubbly. Sat down at the table when everyone arrived; the dining room was cozy and nice, but perhaps a tad dated (colors, upholstery). The chairs felt a lot dated, definitely need to re-cushion or replace these soon.

Our waiter was prompt to the table and attentive; we almost felt rushed to order -- in hindsight this was likely because we were under the pressure of our "contract." He made a great wine recommendation (a strong RRV Pinot), and responded well to my "let the chef choose" request upon ordering. As soon as appetizers arrived, he softly asked us if everything was OK -- I may have been the only one to hear him, as he was soft-spoken in general. Truth be told there were a couple of unhappy customers on the apps -- especially the Goat-en-croute (apparently "bland"), and tuna tartare (with "fishy" caviar on top). These are the comments of my dining partners; I didn't try them. But, no one ever asked us afterwards if we liked the appetizers, or why 2 of the plates were returned more than half-uneaten.

Similar for the entrees. My pork was the winner; Big-eye tuna "special" was good; Veal sirloin was also respectable, if not spectacular. Same for the salmon. But both people who ordered the rockfish disliked it strongly. They were begging for scraps from the other diners. Here's the rub -- I didn't try their food personally, but no one (waiter, manager, whoever) came by at any time to check on our entrees. Then two plates were returned almost un-touched, and there was no recognition of that from anyone either. Then an unnaturally long lag before asking about desserts, but no offer for coffee or other beverages. Desserts came and were all good, but only the apple tartine was considered "great." I ordered cheese and was happy. Our bill included 19% gratuity -- understandable for party of 6. I normally tip 20%+, but in this case, 19% was not warranted by the lack of attentiveness. In the end, all left content that we had finally been to Restaurant Eve, but none of us have much desire to return.

So question to all -- is this an anomaly, grossly out-of-character for R-Eve? Or are there others out there with the same impression -- of arrogance permeating the environment -- but afraid to speak up based on the otherwise over-the-top praise heaped on this restaurant?

I realize dress code needs to be mentioned and taken seriously at a restaurant like this, but I'm not sure why they phrase it in such a way that can make certain people feel uneasy about it.

That is so poorly phrased. And way too pretentious. Thank goodness my jean clad self only goes to the bar once in a blue moon.

Contrast the Columbia Room: "while we don't have a dress code, we recommend going all out. Why not?"

Main dining room. Tasting room sounds fun, but our reservation was relatively (~3 weeks out) short notice, so no availability there.

Only asking because the tuna tartare I received in the tasting room this weekend was topped with salmon roe, which is always going to be 'fishy' compared to caviar. I won't try and compare our experiences.

I will say that the service we received in the tasting room this weekend was impeccable, and when you added in the canapes, amuse, sorbet palate cleanser, pre-dessert dessert, and petit fours that surrounded the actual seven courses, I came away from the "seven course tasting menu" feeling like I was getting away with a bargain.

Only asking because the tuna tartare I received in the tasting room this weekend was topped with salmon roe, which is always going to be 'fishy' compared to caviar. I won't try and compare our experiences.

I will say that the service we received in the tasting room this weekend was impeccable, and when you added in the canapes, amuse, sorbet palate cleanser, pre-dessert dessert, and petit fours that surrounded the actual seven courses, I came away from the "seven course tasting menu" feeling like I was getting away with a bargain.

Good data point. My dining companion called it caviar; I didn't try it, but thinking about the appearance, it sure did look like Salmon Roe. And presumably it was the same as in the Tasting Room. Like I said earlier, I wasn't complaining about the food (all of my food was great, and I did like everything I tried from others at the table). My friend may have just been being picky or whatever... My questions are more around service and attentiveness to uneaten food. Regardless, my assumption is that the Tasting Room wouldn't be successful at Tasting Room prices without impeccable service.

My questions are more around service and attentiveness to uneaten food. Regardless, my assumption is that the Tasting Room wouldn't be successful at Tasting Room prices without impeccable service.

In fact, the table next to us in the tasting room disliked multiple courses and left them uneaten... the server inquired each time, asked what they didn't like about it, offered replacements, and generally started paying extra attention to make sure they were satisfied from there on out. While I can't speak for how they felt by the time they left but my date and I were both pretty impressed at the handling and accommodating of such a high maintenance table.

I'm sorry to hear your experience in the main dining room wasn't at the same level.

Mmmm, Mmmmmm, mmmmm! A big thank you to Val for providing terrific service for a very tasty lickety split last week. The polenta and meatballs were just so good. They held together despite intense tenderness. If not for being in polite company I may have licked the bowl. I really appreciate all the simple touches here, sugar in a sugar bowl, appropriate glassware, tremendous service, good iced tea, just all the little things that come together.

My questions are more around service and attentiveness to uneaten food. Regardless, my assumption is that the Tasting Room wouldn't be successful at Tasting Room prices without impeccable service.

I'd really encourage you to give Eve a second chance. Maybe just two in the dining room for next time or a weekday lunch in the bistro (my vote for best value at any price for lunch in the region). It's a bummer you had the less than stellar experience you did but, having been to Eve many, many times, I have to think it a very unusual outlier. Eve is one of fewer than five restaurants in the area (also including Komi and Palena) that really define our top tier.

Oh, and wasn't aware of the wacky dress code phrasing but, FWIW, I've never felt pretentious vibes at Eve irrespective of whether I was there for lunch or dinner.

I've had so many wonderful dishes at Eve, mostly in the bar for the Lickety Split Lunch. Today's Antelope Scrapple on a disk of potatoes coated in corn meal, with a poached Polyface Farm egg on top, left me wishing I'd ordered it for both of my courses. Yummy goodness, indeed. Of course, the risotto with peas and bacon that followed was delicious, too. And all of it was gluten free! Bonus!

I've had so many wonderful dishes at Eve, mostly in the bar for the Lickety Split Lunch. Today's Antelope Scrapple on a disk of potatoes coated in corn meal, with a poached Polyface Farm egg on top, left me wishing I'd ordered it for both of my courses. Yummy goodness, indeed. Of course, the risotto with peas and bacon that followed was delicious, too. And all of it was gluten free! Bonus!

I was just thinking I should have gone there for lunch today! Next week then it is!

And, while I partly agree with Porcupine that LS has become more discovered in recent years, my own experience on an at-least monthly basis is that it is very possible to get a seat there with usually no wait.

What time (or day) do you have to go for the LS lunch not to have a wait? A friend of mine and I have gone a couple of times and had to resort to Plan B because the wait at Eve was too long, which is a pain because our time is limited in the first place. (Fortunately, Plan B has been the lunch deal at The Majestic bar -- though I miss the crab cakes!)

What time (or day) do you have to go for the LS lunch not to have a wait? A friend of mine and I have gone a couple of times and had to resort to Plan B because the wait at Eve was too long, which is a pain because our time is limited in the first place. (Fortunately, Plan B has been the lunch deal at The Majestic bar -- though I miss the crab cakes!)

Just making sure we're talking about the same thing, LS=Lickety Split lunch which is only served in the bar/lounge. As far as time of day to have best chance of avoiding a wait, just steer clear of the high noon/12:30 time most target. I've done that early and later many times with no trouble (though not 100% reliable).

Just making sure we're talking about the same thing, LS=Lickety Split lunch which is only served in the bar/lounge. As far as time of day to have best chance of avoiding a wait, just steer clear of the high noon/12:30 time most target. I've done that early and later many times with no trouble (though not 100% reliable).

Yes, that's what I was talking about. It's tough leaving work before noon. Thanks for the info.

I took another day off and had a soup and sandwich lunch at Eve - sounds kind of ordinary, doesn't it?

Not if it is a Lickity Split Lunch in the Restaurant Eve lounge. The soup of the day was a Cream of Asparagus with ramp heads, topped by crispy fried onions, creme fraiche and small bits of flower blossom. In presentation the dish looked like an Impressionist painting surrounded by a white ceramic frame. I had to pause for a moment to admire the work of the kitchen in assembling such a beautiful thing before I enjoyed this delicious start to my lunch.

Next up was a ham salad sandwich whose flavors brought back memories of my brothers and I watching my dad grind slices of ham to make his own ham salad recipe. Just a great lunch, and still a great deal at $14.98.

On my way out, I asked the ladies at the front desk about the current status of Virtue Feed & Grain. They informed me that the new date for opening was now June 9, with only Dinner service available for the first couple of weeks.

TSchaad

Just a great lunch, and still a great deal at $14.98.

Eve needs to update its on-line menu which still shows the Lickity Split at $13.50.

All this brings into question this article in today's Post Weekend section, which quotes the $13.50 price. Either the author researched the story solely from the Eve website, or he visited some time ago before the price change. When did the price change? Curiously, this "review" does not indicate that the author actually ate anything.

Well, clearly someone reads this site, because the Post just updated the on-line article to reflect the new higher price. :D They cannot change the print version, however. I just checked my paper again and it still says $13.50. Someday maybe someone will invent the technology to fix problems like this. B) Stlll no indication in the article that the "reviewer" sampled any items from the menu.

They cannot change the print version, however. I just checked my paper again and it still says $13.50. Someday maybe someone will invent the technology to fix problems like this.

They did in Oceania.

"As soon as all the corrections which happened to be necessary in any particular number of 'The Times' had been assembled and collated, that number would be reprinted, the original copy destroyed, and the corrected copy placed on the files in its stead.

The scrapple is still on the LS menu as of last Friday. It's great but the egg, oh The Egg! was perfection. Scrapple + risotto is a rich and sleepymaking meal. I was uselessly content for the rest of the day.

Someone upthread asked when the LS menu price changed - it's been at the new price since at least Nov. '10.

The scrapple is still on the LS menu as of last Friday. It's great but the egg, oh The Egg! was perfection. Scrapple + risotto is a rich and sleepymaking meal. I was uselessly content for the rest of the day.

Totally blew it. Was there for LS last Weds or Thurs and didn't order that. Still remember the supermarket packaged variety being forced on me once as a kid. Big mistake letting that prevent me from trying Eve's. Will have to go next week and give it a try. Sounds great.

Finally going to knock this one off the list tomorrow (in the Bistro, not tasting room), any recent news/recommendations? In terms of number of selections available, how extensive in is the Fri/Sat 3-course menu compared to the regular a la carte posted online (which is still Autumn ... 2011, I presume :angry: )

Was fortunate enough to have scheduled some personal business that left me enough time to go to Restaurant Eve for their Lickety-Split lunch today. Field greens salad with fried Rappahanock oysters and toasted peanuts in a grainy mustard vinagrette. So good! Indulged in a glass of Chilean Sauv Gris that worked well enough with the salad. I enjoyed it but wasn't wow-ed -- personal palate, I probably would have picked something a bit fruitier to balance against the mustard dressing and slight bitterness from the greens. Still, a delightful meal with top-notch service and excellent ingredients & preparation.

I was just perusing the website and sample menus in anticipation of a belated birthday dinner next Saturday night in the Bistro, when I came across this statement:

** Friday and Saturday evenings - Bistro: Please expect a prix-fixe three course menu with choices for $65 per person exclusively.

Does this mean that there is no a la carte menu option in the Bistro on Saturday nights? i'm trying to decide how I feel about that. Although I know the food is splendid, I kind of like having the option to share an extra appetizer on the front end, in lieu of a sweet dessert at the end (I'm not a real sweets fiend).

Edited to add: I just looked at the verbiage about attire, and now I don't think I have anything suitable to wear to the Bistro. I don't dress up as a rule, but I've found that my style of dress (clean chino slacks and a blouse) has been fine for lots of nice restaurants downtown. It doesn't sound as if that will fit the bill in the Bistro, however.

I've been looking forward to this dinner for a long time, and now I'm having cold feet.

I was just perusing the website and sample menus in anticipation of a belated birthday dinner next Saturday night in the Bistro, when I came across this statement:

** Friday and Saturday evenings - Bistro: Please expect a prix-fixe three course menu with choices for $65 per person exclusively.

Does this mean that there is no a la carte menu option in the Bistro on Saturday nights? i'm trying to decide how I feel about that. Although I know the food is splendid, I kind of like having the option to share an extra appetizer on the front end, in lieu of a sweet dessert at the end (I'm not a real sweets fiend).

Edited to add: I just looked at the verbiage about attire, and now I don't think I have anything suitable to wear to the Bistro. I don't dress up as a rule, but I've found that my style of dress (clean chino slacks and a blouse) has been fine for lots of nice restaurants downtown. It doesn't sound as if that will fit the bill in the Bistro, however.

I've been looking forward to this dinner for a long time, and now I'm having cold feet.

I find the website seriously off-putting. I get the intentions behind it but the way it is written really makes me nuts. So I spend my money elsewhere.

Does this mean that there is no a la carte menu option in the Bistro on Saturday nights? i'm trying to decide how I feel about that.

That's right. I found out about it when they called to confirm my reservation (they didn't tell me when I made the reservation). That was more than a year ago (I think). I haven't been back since, except for lunch at the bar a few times when invited by friends.

I would love to read an honest explanation of that policy.

That's right. I found out about it when they called to confirm my reservation (they didn't tell me when I made the reservation). That was more than a year ago (I think). I haven't been back since, except for lunch at the bar a few times when invited by friends.

As would I. In my mind, this seems to eliminate much of the difference between the Bistro and the Tasting Room. I love the latter, but no longer have the stamina for that many courses. I was looking forward to ordering 3 appetizers for the two of us, and then an entree each. Much as I love their food, I don't want to feel coerced into dessert or cheese (at least, I hope that cheese would be an alternative to dessert).

As would I. In my mind, this seems to eliminate much of the difference between the Bistro and the Tasting Room. I love the latter, but no longer have the stamina for that many courses. I was looking forward to ordering 3 appetizers for the two of us, and then an entree each. Much as I love their food, I don't want to feel coerced into dessert or cheese (at least, I hope that cheese would be an alternative to dessert).

I didn't know about this policy until I read Scottee's post - this (somewhat rhetorical, somewhat philosophical, somewhat actual) question is meant to stimulate discussion, not to take sides: If you could sell something for X dollars, why would you charge less than that?

Does anyone fault Minibar for charging $225 if they can get it?

I didn't know about this policy until I read Scottee's post - this (somewhat rhetorical, somewhat philosophical, somewhat actual) question is meant to stimulate discussion, not to take sides: If you could sell something for X dollars, why would you charge less than that?

I have no problem with the price. Their $65 for 3 courses is about the same as if the three courses were ordered separately. My issue is about choice. And that's what I have always associated with the Bistro. Why must I have a sweet dessert if I don't want it? Not to mention that, as I am gluten-intolerant, my choice of desserts is limited to ice cream and sorbet.

I want to be clear: I have loved Restaurant Eve for years. I used to be a somewhat regular at the bar on Thursdays for the Lickety Split lunch. I've enjoyed several dinners in the Bistro, but not in several years. Because I consider it a special place, I selected it for my birthday dinner. I know that the food would be fabulous, and would be matched by fabulous service. But then to be forced to have ice cream or sorbet (or perhaps cheese) when I might prefer to purchase another appetizer, or maybe a side, really rubs me the wrong way. I guess I'm saying that I want to go there for the savory, not the sweet.

^And my issue is the amount of food. I've been on the weight gain-loss roller coaster all my life, and sadly MrP joined the ride when he married me. The only way to keep the weight down while still eating what we love is to eat less of it (and exercise). In most restaurants typically we will each order an appetizer for a first course and an appetizer for a second course, or a half-order of pasta for a seond course, or we'll share an entree so we can each get a dessert, or we share a dessert... or something like that.* None of those scenarios is possible at REB on Fridays or Saturdays, though.

I could be wrong (I hope I'm wrong), but the prix-fixe policy strikes me as greedy. Do so many people eat the way I do and is RE running on such a thin margin, that the policy is really needed? What other reason could there be?

*and btw, not that it should matter, not that we should have to, but we typically tip very well to compensate.

Yes, but a long time ago I admired Ben and Jerry for their compensation policy, so I'm sure my opinion is in the minority. I admire individuals and corporations who can say "you know, this really is enough money, we don't need to squeeze people for more." ... now, where did I put those rose-colored glasses?