Thread

"Thread" asked me to post this:

I have lost 6 pounds so far thanks to a week and a half bout with the flu where I had no interest at all in eating. Not a good way to loose weight, but let me tell you it's got me motivated.

Once I turned 50 everything went downhill. As with most women, unwanted pounds tend to migrate south towards the hip and belly region, not up north where I could really appreciated it. My downfall is bread and desserts, especially chocolate. So far I have been doing pretty well. My strategy right now is to only eat half of what is on my plate and I limit my bread to one portion a day. So if I have a piece of toast in the morning, that's it. I haven't had any desserts since I started 1 Jan except for an occasional Hershey Kiss. And then I only have one. In addition, where I would normally have 2 spoonsfulls of suger in my coffee, I have cut it to one. I tried using splenda but I don't like it. Perhaps I can wean myself off the sugar completely by cutting down further. I use non dairy creamer which has no carbs. The big test will be this Sat as my husband and I are heading to one of my favorite restaurants, Marcel's. I don't think I can eat only half of what will be on my plate, but perhaps I'll do an extra 1/2 on my bike that day to counteract the calories.

Another report from "Thread":

I am regressing in the weight loss challenge. I have gained 2 pounds. I attribute this to my overzealousness of deciding to clean out my freezer this weekend. I stumbled upon an unopened box of Girl Scout Thin Mints, a major weakness. Like the saying goes, "you never can eat just one". I managed to polish off the entire box over the weekend. I couldn't help myself. Now I am seriously considering visiting Jenny. I have no will power. I have a small frame and 132 pounds does not suit me. None of my good work clothes fit. I am starting to repeat my wardrobe of the few things I can wear more frequently. I have at least 10 suits in my closet I can not wear. I am starting to get disgusted with myself. I think I need to be in a strictly managed diet program where I don't have to make any decisions what to eat or when to eat it. Has anyone here had success with Jenny? If so, I would love to hear your story....."

I managed to avoid the Girl Scout cookie scam this year. They always seem to be delivered right around the time you feel like slipping from your New Year's resolution.

The only really structured program I've done is Nurti-System when I was in college. I lost about 40 pounds, but the food wasn't great. Of course in college the convenience of popping stuff in the microwave makes things pretty easy. I'd assume the food has improved over the 18 years since I did it.

When you're really struggling like the way you report, I can totally understand the appeal of a strictly managed weight loss program (no choices about what or when, just instructions and food). I caution you to really consider it before investing any time or money. I think the biggest difficulty with those programs is that they don't help you make better choices within the context of your life away from the program.

Do you have the time/energy to consider weight watchers, or perhaps weight watchers online? The thing I liked about WW was that it wasn't so dictatorial, so it was easy for me to make the program work within my own food preferences (a not particularly stringent vegetarian who really loathes what I consider to be fake foods, e.g. fat free sour cream, non-dairy creamer, etc.)

I think you hit the nail on the head with some of what you reported in your first post--when you hit menopause (or thereabouts) a woman's metabolism just plummets and where you put on weight changes. It becomes a lot harder to eat what feels like a normal amount of food and not put on weight. Exercise would probably help, but I know it can be hard to fit that in to an already busy life.

Good luck; losing weight is definitely hard.

Another update from 'Thread":

"Because I seemed to be regressing in the weight loss challenge I decided to join Jenny Craig. One of the good things about this is one of my co-workers is also doing the plan so we are supporting each other in our weight loss goals. The downside is it is a bit expensive. I spent $117 on food plus another $30 at the grocery store for lettuce, spinach, other veggies, fruit, skim milk and non dairy creamer. The plan I did (and I got a discount through my health insurance) was the lifetime membership which you only pay $39/year to renew. I figure in the fall/winter I always get worse and gain weight, so I have the option of starting up again if I need to. My grand total for the food and the lifetime membership was $426. With the rewards plan, your food gets cheaper the more you go. I must say that the plan is easy to maintain and the first 2 weeks they give you a menu to follow and you eat what they give you. Basically you try all of their foods for the 1st two weeks and week 3 you get to pick what you want. It is working so far. I am eating 6 times a day, drinking at least 4 big bottles of water in addition to my morning coffee (splenda/non dairy creamer). I am not hungry in between. Might seem like alot of money to lose weight but to me it is going to be worth it. The food isn't that bad either (for diet food). My goal is to lose my weight and keep it off while eating healthier and wiser. The big test will be a few days from now as my husband and I are going up to our house in Maine and I am bringing my Jenny foods. I don't know how much willpower I will have knowing the best lobster roll place is down the street. I had re-gained the weight I had initially lost, but I am back down to 132 now and the Girl Scout cookies are hidden away in the freezer. I have 12 pounds to go."

Thread's latest update. Keep up the good work.

First weigh in at Jenny Craig today. I lost 2.5 pounds. This is especially encouraging considering the fact I was away for 4 days and although I brought my Jenny food, I did veer off the wagon slightly, though I tried to stick as close to the diet as possible.

I couldn't resist a lobster roll while we up in Maine over the weekend. I ordered it mayo on the side and barely skimmed the lobster with it. We also met friends for dinner and I managed to only order clam chowder and a caesar salad.

This week I have to travel 2 days for work and will be without a refrig to store and without a microwave to heat up my lunch and dinners. So again I will try to eat out as closely as I can sticking to the diet.

I'm looking forward to next week when I will actaully be home for 7 days and will be able to follow the diet by the letter.

I have 8.5 lbs to go now.

The latest from "Thread":

Week #2 Weigh-in at Jenny Craig. Lost 2 lbs this week. The only food I did not like this past week was the Cheesey Enchilada and the Southwest Rice, Beans abd Chicken (I'm not partial to southwestern foods so this doesn't surprise me. The best thing I ate this week - Low Fat Lemon Cake, Stuffed Chicken and Broccoli Sandwich and Salisbury Steak. I don't mind the skim milk anymore, I hardly notice it's skim. Again, hardest thing is drinking all the water. Total 2 week loss - 4.5 lbs. Total lost since 1/1/07 = 7.5 lbs. Over the halfway mark now!

Since it turned nice this week, in the mornings I walk from the Pentagon to my job at the Annex (17 minutes uphill).

I feel like I have alot more energy. This weekend I'm going to buy a bike.

"Thread" continues to do well with Jenny Craig...

Today was week #3 weigh in at Jenny Craig. I lost another 2 pounds, for a total of 6.5 lbs lost at Jenny and almost 9 1/2 pounds since the challenge began. I have been adding alot of walking to my regime, and this has helped alot. It's enabled me to start doing some meals on my own. Sunday, I made eggs benedict and had 1 serving, 1/2 grapefruit with strawberries, and a mimosa. I need to learn to eat in moderation. I think I have been a binge eater in the past and I also tend to eat when I'm bored, so I'm trying to stay busy and focused. I think I'll be able to make my goal of 14 lbs. I'll be tested again this weekend when hubby and I travel to Myrtle Beach for Easter weekend with family. I plan on eating Jenny Craig meals for breakfast and lunch, but will try to do dinners on my own. Hopefully the worst case scenario is I don't gain anything.

Are there any sort of meetings involved with Jenny Craig, a la Weight Watchers?
There are no group meetings at Jenny Craig. Visits consist of one on one consultations. Basically you are assigned a counselor and when you go for your visits you do a weigh in and then discuss how the week went, how you felt (i.e. hungry, satisfied), your goals, if you've had problems sticking to the diet, discuss what exercises if any you've been doing. If you're past week 2 you can pick your owns meals and a counselor will assist you if needed. There are alot of weight loss manuals and guides you can get access to. I don't feel I need to be in a support group per se, as I said earlier, a co-worker and I are doing the diet together and support each other. I know there is a Jenny message board where people can post messages and ask questions. And don't think it's just for women. My initial consultation was done by a young man who lost 75 lbs on Jenny Craig!

Week 4 weigh in at Jenny Craig - lost 2.2 lbs. Total lost at Jenny Craig: 8.3 lbs. Total loss since 3 Jan....11.6 lbs. Almost to my goal of 122. Got my picture taken again as I made my halfway point and was re-measured. Lost about an inch and a half overall. I actually wore a suit to work today that I haven't been able to wear in over 8 months. Even my husband noticed that my "fat" jeans were baggy. And the best part - I even went off the wagon Sunday while at my father-in-law's. Had a little brie and French bread, filet with bernaise sauce, twice baked cheese potato and 2 glasses of wine. My exercising has definitely paid off. Next week I have to go out of town again for business and I am going to try to eat completely on my own. My goal is not to gain any weight, yet enjoy myself. I'm taking the jogging clothes with me. My husband is losing weight also, but only because I'm cooking sporadically for him when I feel like it and he has mainly been reduced to eating Healthy Choice dinners. If I can get down to my goal, I might try to slim down another 2 pounds or so. Also motivated by the fact I will have to buy new clothes. I'm looking forward to meeting the other challengers at the end of May, as I think I'm going to make it.

The latest update:

Week 7 at Jenny Craig. Even though I was on travel last week and decided to stay at a Bed and Breakfast, where I did enjoy the breakfast, I brought my JC food for lunch and dinner. I lost a total of 1.3 pounds. I am 1.3 pounds away from meeting my goal. I have decided to try to drop another 2 pounds after I reach my goal. This week I will try to do more walking and I am going to buy a jump rope and use it in the evenings. I decided this week to do all my meals thru JC without any variations. It cost me $96 with the 10% discount for those of you who are wondering what price the food it. This is for 3 meals/day plus allowed snacks. I have to buy some fruit (grapefruit, strawberries) which goes with my breakfast. Yougurt for a mid morning snack. I usually pick up a side salad from Mickey D's to go with lunch and some veggies i.e. squash, asparagus and green beans which accompany my evening meal. Really, when I follow this regime I am never hungry.

This diet has really worked out well for me, I have been dropping between 1-2 lbs a week which is exactly what they want. I am even starting to wear clothes that haven't seen the light of day in quite a while! I am quite pleased with the results.

More progress:

Lost 1.1 pounds. I mainly ate what I wanted to this weekend but in moderation.

Marinated some leg of lamb in wine with garlic and spices and made shish kebabs with plenty of veggies, wild rice and grilled pita bread.

Sunday breakfast 1 1/2 eggs benedict , cantelope and mimosas.

Sunday dinner chicken breast stuffed with spinach, pine nuts and bacon with 1/2 stuffed cheese potato and green beans.

Stayed on the Jenny food during the week.

I decided to start doing evening meals on my own, but continue with the Jenny food for breakfast and lunch.

Still walking in the mornings to the Navy Annex from the Pentagon.

I am only .2 lbs away from my goal. I have every intention of making it next week plus some.

Congratulations to "Thread":

Week 9 on Jenny Craig.....MADE MY GOAL!!

14.7 pounds lost. I'm going for 2 more by Memorial Day. I've been walking, walking, walking. I've been

doing dinner on my own, but using the JC plan for breakfast and lunch. Next week I bought JC plan breakfast food and will try adding lunch on my own. I have discovered that by cutting my portions in half and eating more frequently I have basically been shaving off a little over a pound a week since joining Jenny Craig. I feel great and have so much more energy. I have to thank Rocks for giving me that little extra bit of motivation to lose the weight by coming up with this challenge.

Way to go Thread! Congratulations on your progress so far and good luck as you continue with your plan.

I love that several of us are having success with walking as their form of exercise... I know lots of people who think that if exercise isn't cardio, it doesn't count. You don't have to run to lose weight. It has benefits, obviously, but no one should feel like they have to choose between sweaty, hard, knee-punishing exercise and no exercise at all.

Hip-hip hooray for Thread!

Thanks to all who have given me support and encouragement on this website. I'm coming out today! I am ctay122.

For the past 6 days I was out of town and ate basically whatever I wanted but watched how much I ate and ordered healthy except I went off the wagon with fish and chips and a microbrew one night (hey I was in Maine and I couldn't pass up fresh haddock!) and also molten chocolate cake (but I only ate 1/3). I managed to maintain my weight at my weigh in at Jenny Craig yesterday and am still under my goal. I hope to lose a little more by 1 June. I feel inspired by my new healthy lifestyle and all the walking I've done. As a result, I'm kicking it up a notch and I registered for the Marine Corps Marathon that takes place the end of Oct. I am training with a friend of mine who did it last year. Our goal is to make it between 5 1/2 - 6 hours (what can I say, we are 50+++ women). But without this challenge I doubt I would even have considered trying. It made me get off my fat behind! Congrats to everyone who participated in this challenge.

Week 10 weigh in at Jenny. Lost a half pound and didn't even try. I've lost almost 15 pounds now. I started my training program yesterday for the Marine Corps Marathon. I ran 3 miles, but it took me 45 minutes and then I had to walk some but at least I didn't stop. I obviously have a long road ahead of me. Thank goodness I have 5 months to train...again I doubt I will be able to run the whole way, but my goal is to finish. The good side is I am going to have to increase my calorie intake from my present 1200 calories due to the running so I probably will be able to take a break from the Jenny Craig food. I've weaned myself down to only 5 breakfasts and 5 lunches on Jenny, the rest I do on my own. I might have to go back on during the winter, but hopefully my experience the five months have given me a better sense on how to eat healthy. Perhaps I won't need her.

Final report. Weigh in at Jenny Craig. Lost another pound although this weekend I ate like a pig...brats, potato salad, corn on the cob. Rib eye steak, baked stuff potatoes and more corn on the cob. Happy hour cocktails and appetizers (wings and potato skins) at Fridays. Life is good. Lost a total of 16.2 lbs total since Jan 1st. Now I am able to increase my calories from 1200 to 1500 and will try to maintain my weight on my own. Summer time is easy, but will see what happens this winter when it's hibernation time.