porcupine (Ouch)

Porcupine's On-Line Food Diary

I'm going the shame route: trying to stay accountable through the fear that others will read my diary and laugh at my shortcomings.

Yesterday:

braekfast: tangerine juice, coffee with whole milk, two homemade oatmeal cookies

late breakfast: bowl of oatmeal cooked with 1/4 c 1% fat milk (the rest water), with 1 tsp brown sugar

very late lunch after several mile hike: tzatziki with fennnel and celery for dipping; 1/4 c leftover spaghetti with marinara

dinner: 2/3 small bowl lentil and sausage soup, 1/2 calette, 1/2 serving "butcher's stew", 3 bites Mr Ps mac-n-cheese, 1 glass shiraz, 3 bites blueberry cobbler, decaf coffee with milk. Not low fat but a lot less mass than I would normally eat at dinner

Today:

breakfast: 6 oz low fat yogurt, 1 tbs maple syrup, 1 medium banana, coffee with whole milk

off to training day at work - very physical - biggest challenge will be not snacking from the office commissary.

planned lunch: the other half of the calette, butchers stew, and the last few bites of mac-n-cheese

contemplating throwing away the cookies

Make that on-line food and exercise diary.

Resisted temptation at office commisary. Snacked on two homemade cookies instead. After lunch, sat at new "for us" office computer to catch up on donrockwell.com, read some pm-s, said to self "what the fuck?!", logged out, and walked/jogged 2 miles in 27 minutes. Was utterly creamed by new boss and two coworkers, who jogged the whole way, but at least was out there moving my fat ass.

Later creamed one of said co-workers on dirt roads time trial but that's a different story. :lol:

Dinner: leftover homemade beef stew, 1/2 bottle beer, small hunk Irish brown bread, one cookie.

Thanks for the support, purplesachi. :unsure:

Make that on-line food and exercise diary.

Resisted temptation at office commisary. Snacked on two homemade cookies instead. After lunch, sat at new "for us" office computer to catch up on donrockwell.com, read some pm-s, said to self "what the fuck?!", logged out, and walked/jogged 2 miles in 27 minutes. Was utterly creamed by new boss and two coworkers, who jogged the whole way, but at least was out there moving my fat ass.

Later creamed one of said co-workers on dirt roads time trial but that's a different story. :unsure:

Dinner: leftover homemade beef stew, 1/2 bottle beer, small hunk Irish brown bread, one cookie.

Thanks for the support, purplesachi. B)

I have to say, as one of the anonymous members of this challenge, that I admire the brass ones you've grown. (Can Girrrrls say that about other Girrrls? What other terminology is there? Boobies doesn't seem quite relevant, although I don't quite know why. :lol: )

I have to say, as one of the anonymous members of this challenge, that I admire the brass ones you've grown. (Can Girrrrls say that about other Girrrls? What other terminology is there? Boobies doesn't seem quite relevant, although I don't quite know why. :lol: )

Anyone can have balls. Some are on the outside and some are on the inside.

:unsure: As a woman working and playing in a testosterone-dominated arena, I get this all the time. Boy do I have some stories about that. But not to be posted on the internet.

Saturday, January 13

breakfast:

coffee with whole milk

oatmeal cooked with water and 1/4 c lowfat milk; with apple chopped up and cooked in 1 tsp butter and 2 tsp brown sugar

left about 1/4 of this in the bowl

For me, weight loss is about portion control. My frugal nature deplores throwing out uneaten food, but now I'm playing a mind game with myself. Leaving some on the plate is part of the game.

Today's challenge: to keep from pigging out on Ethiopian food at lunch with Mr. P, Gubeen, and ol_ironstaomach. When having a good time, engaged in lively conversation, I totally lose track of how much I've eaten. Social eating is one of my biggest problems.

Saturday, January 13

Today's challenge: to keep from pigging out on Ethiopian food at lunch with Mr. P, Gubeen, and ol_ironstaomach. When having a good time, engaged in lively conversation, I totally lose track of how much I've eaten. Social eating is one of my biggest problems.

I was going to suggest we order less and drink more water. Don't worry, I too am on the challenge so we can all reinforce eachother.

coffee with whole milk

Here's a trick to make skim or 2% milk palatable with your coffee--pour the appropriate amount of milk into the cup first. Heat the milk just shy of the boiling point in the microwave. Then add the coffee. Voila! cafe´au lait...

Something about heating low or nonfat milk thickens it. When we make cappuccino at home, we always use skim milk. Believe it or not, it's much better than if made with whole milk. And it has the added benefit of allowing you to feel virtuous at the same time you are satisfying your coffee addiction.

Here's a trick to make skim or 2% milk palatable with your coffee--pour the appropriate amount of milk into the cup first. Heat the milk just shy of the boiling point in the microwave. Then add the coffee. Voila! cafe´au lait...

Something about heating low or nonfat milk thickens it. When we make cappuccino at home, we always use skim milk. Believe it or not, it's much better than if made with whole milk. And it has the added benefit of allowing you to feel virtuous at the same time you are satisfying your coffee addiction.

As a life-long coffee addict, I found the easiest thing was cutting out the half-and-half I put in my coffee, a little more than 3 years ago. I was drinking so much of it that I was going through a whole lot of the high-fat, high-calorie dairy product. Now, if I could just cut out the sugar . . .

Dubious, but willing to try... :lol:

Depending on how you like your coffee... I like vanilla soymilk. It adds some sweetness, and while it does have fat, you also have other benefits such as cholesterol reduction. Silk also makes a creamer that I've never tried. It's also great with oatmeal for a power-packed cholesterol sweeping meal.

Saturday update: probably ate too much at lunch, but at least I wasn't hungry for dinner. To fulfill the psychological need to eat*, I quick-cooked some collards with lemon olive oil and ate them with brown rice. Hit the spot, very low fat, good nutrition.

Brisk walk for half hour between rain squalls.

Opened a new bottle of rye and treated self to a small pour.

* Does anyone else experience this? When I've had a major lunch or other large midday meal, around dinner time I feel a strong urge to eat - even if I'm not hungry. Very irritating.

Sunday, January 14

breakfast: 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese, 1 small banana, coffee with low fat milk

today's challenges:

1. going to motorcycle show* at convention center - can I resist the call of a Steve Klc dessert and semi-sweet Turkish coffee at Zaytinya?

2. M-i-l and b-i-l taking us to restaurant where I usually drink too much and graze on cheese plate and cured meats. Can I find something a bit lower in fat to enjoy? Tune in later...

eta lunch: sour cherry juice, 2 fries, 1/4 order hummos, 3/4 piece of flatbread, 2/3 order pork and orange rind sausage with white beans; entire apricot yogurt dessert, semi-sweet Turkish coffee.

snacks so far: 1 homemade cookie; 1 chai (Teaism)

exercise so far: ever try parking near the Washington Convention center late on a Sunday morning? :lol: Plenty of walking around the greater Penn Quarter area today.

eta dinner: well, I didn't eat everything I ordered. Only one piece of bread, all the burrata, much of the pasta, half a dessert, and a (big) glass of wine. This is the most food I've eaten in one sitting in almost a week, and I'm feeling it.

Tomorrow, more hiking. Lots more hiking, rain or no rain. :unsure:

*in case any of you are riders: I do believe I've found my new love

Monday, January 15

today's challenge: staying on the straight and narrow; should be easy with no social commitments.

breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled in one tsp butter; coffee with lowfat milk (not too bad after all! but I still can't stand skim milk - it's just evil).

eta:

lunch: a few oz. collards, a baked potato with 1 tsp butter

snacks: a pot of tea with sugar; later a bubble tea (I don't want to know what's in that stuff)

dinner: homemade chicken vegetable soup, 1 oz Gruyere, 1/2 small slice of something masquerading as a baguette :lol: , half a beer

today's failing: no exercise. My ass has been at the computer for six hours while trying to finish details of difficult project for work. Deadline is Friday. If I have any hair left by then it'll be a miracle.

Tuesday, January 16

One pound off, 19 to go.

today's challenges: get some good walking in, work project or no; eat sensibly at celebratory dinner at fine restaurant

breakfast: 6 oz orange/tangerine juice; coffee with lowfat milk; bagel with smallest possible schmear cream cheese

brisk half hour walk mid-morning

eta lunch: uh-oh. Two things happened unexpectedly that could not be postponed; as a result lunch was a latte and four bites of crappy cheesecake from Mayorga; a later snack of hot chocolate could be be turned down out of politeness; it's 4:30 and I'm starving and I don't want to let myself eat becuase I'm going out later, but if I don't eat I will pig out at dinner... :unsure: oh dear.

eta: snack was 1/2 cup brown rice

dinner at Blue Duck Tavern: 1/2 order beet, goat cheese, endive salad [which had two pieces endive :lol: ]; 1/2 order chanterelles and brussels sprouts; 1/2 order pork chop; 1 cheddar biscuit; 1 glass wine; 2 scoops vanilla ice cream with spiced pear compote, cup of coffee with dairy.

I'm totally on for this. I had managed to cut myself down to whole milk, but thought that skim milk was revolting in coffee. I now have upped the amount of milk I drink in my coffee, but it's skim (not sure if the increased amount offsets the nonfat issue!), by heating it to just below boiling in the nukyular oven before adding the coffee. Totally satisfying.

Have you given it a try, porcupine?

I'm totally on for this. I had managed to cut myself down to whole milk, but thought that skim milk was revolting in coffee. I now have upped the amount of milk I drink in my coffee, but it's skim (not sure if the increased amount offsets the nonfat issue!), by heating it to just below boiling in the nukyular oven before adding the coffee. Totally satisfying.

Have you given it a try, porcupine?

I have, and find that don't mind 1% fat milk at all. I still find skim milk to be the single most revolting 'edible' substance in the known universe, except for mustard. I'm trying to lose weight, not create hell on earth for myself. :lol:

• Like 1

Wednesday, January 17

today's challenge: training day at work will consist mostly of meetings - talk about opportunities for mindless snacking! Taking tzatziki and veg for dipping for lunch, thermos of lapsang suchong with sugar and milk to stay awake, mango juice for snack; will try again to walk fast for two miles and not get creamed by new boss and coworkers.

Breakfast: 6 oz orange/tangerine juice; 6 oz low fat yogurt with 1 tbs maple syrup and 1 banana; coffee with lowfat milk.

update: I was able to stick to the plan - no mindless snacking - yay, me. Only got half hour for lunch, spent 20 min of it walking/jogging.

dinner: big bowl of leftover chicken veg soup with 1 oz Gruyere, 1 beer. It's now 8:09, I'm finishing the last of my beer and going to bed. Seriously. I will be so glad to get this week over.

dinner at Blue Duck Tavern: 1/2 order beet, goat cheese, endive salad [which had two pieces endive :lol: ]; 1/2 order chanterelles and brussels sprouts; 1/2 order pork chop...

I'm curious about the half-portions... looking for some ideas on how to do it myself in restaurant situations. Are you asking for a half-order from the kitchen, or splitting what you order with someone else at the table, or eating half and boxing/leaving the rest?

Keep up the good work!

eta lunch: uh-oh. Two things happened unexpectedly that could not be postponed; as a result lunch was a latte and four bites of crappy cheesecake from Mayorga; a later snack of hot chocolate could be be turned down out of politeness; it's 4:30 and I'm starving and I don't want to let myself eat becuase I'm going out later, but if I don't eat I will pig out at dinner... :lol: oh dear.

eta: snack was 1/2 cup brown rice

First, congratulations, too, especially on the measures taken at the restaurant meal. Suggestion:

I found that if I bring an apple to work it sits on my desk or in the bottom of my lunch bag.

Instead, I'd recommend spending time in the morning or even the night before, coring and cutting up the apple into eight slices and putting it in a container with red pepper strips, carrot sticks and other things you could easily reach for and snack on while working.

I don't know how available ripe mangoes are this time of year, but a good peeled mango sliced and eaten with a fork can be more satisfying than juice.

The brown rice might be more appealing, too, if you made it into a salad. Pour on some (Meyer) lemon juice while it's still warm. Some zest. A little cayenne and cumin. Sliver scallions. Diced cukes.... Possibilities are endless. It could be a meal with chickpeas, parsley and a conservative number of sultanas (raisins are caloric) or chopped dried fruit of your choice.

I'm curious about the half-portions... looking for some ideas on how to do it myself in restaurant situations. Are you asking for a half-order from the kitchen, or splitting what you order with someone else at the table, or eating half and boxing/leaving the rest?

Keep up the good work!

Thanks. I just ate half and took the rest home (lunch tomorrow). Often Mr P and I will split dishes though we always feel funny about doing that in nicer restaurants. We make sure to leave the waiter a bigger tip to compensate.

Thursday, January 18

today's challenges: will be spending all day on work project due Saturday, which means plenty of opportunity for stress snacking. Perhaps I'll try taking my laptop and papers to another room far away from the kitchen. Can't believe I haven't thought of this before. :lol: Also cooking chili for friends bringing over beer for tasting tonight; will try to enjoy small portions eaten slooooowly.

breakfast: 6 oz orange/tangerine juice; coffee with whole milk; oatmeal cooked with part lowfat milk, with 1 tsp brown sugar.

eta update: lunch = remains of chicken veg soup; snack = 1/2 cup plain brown rice (I really, really like rice);

dinner: not too large :unsure: a serving of chili with just a little cheddar, 2 pieces cornbread(each piece = 1/16 of 8"x8" pan), and one brownie (1/16 of a pan). And waaaay too much beer. Friend brought two growlers from Old Dominion: Aviator Amber Lager and Oak Barrel Stout. B) Friends went back for seconds of chili and one person took all the leftover brownies home for the kids - yay! they aren't here to tempt me.

No exercise but at least I made very real progress on the work project from hell - should have time for a nice long walk tomorrow.

Okay, so yesterday was a losing today, today was a maintaining day.

How wedded are you to the morning juice? Believe me I understand - I grew up in Florida, and I had fresh squeezed juice every morning for breakfast.

Unfortunately, it's twice the sugar compared to eating an orange, about 30% more calories, and you lose all of the fiber.

How wedded are you to the morning juice? Believe me I understand - I grew up in Florida, and I had fresh squeezed juice every morning for breakfast.

Unfortunately, it's twice the sugar compared to eating an orange, about 30% more calories, and you lose all of the fiber.

Entirely wedded. It is the so-called fresh-squeezed juice from WF. If it's nothing but unstrained juice how can it have more sugar and less fiber? :lol: At any rate it's the only sure way for me to get one serving of fruit a day, since I detest tasteless plastic out of season fruit. And I tire of bananas quickly.

Because juice doesn't have the natural fiber that is in the flesh of the fruit, so the sugar is concentrated.

"unstrained"? Have you ever seen the stuff WF sells? I think they just skin the fruit and pulverize the rest. Anyway, moot point. I've said before I'm losing by not overeating, not by denying the things I love.

Entirely wedded. It is the so-called fresh-squeezed juice from WF. If it's nothing but unstrained juice how can it have more sugar and less fiber?

Even unstrained, more than half the pulp is left behind. And it takes 2-3 oranges to make a 6 oz glass of juice, hence more sugar.

It's not out of season for oranges, though...

The sugar isn't concentrated, you just aren't ingesting all of the cellulose that gives structure to the fruit. Think of all the planty (for lack of a better word) stuff left behind when you squeeze citrus -- that makes up a lot of the fiber count of an orange.

The sugar isn't concentrated, you just aren't ingesting all of the cellulose that gives structure to the fruit. Think of all the planty (for lack of a better word) stuff left behind when you squeeze citrus -- that makes up a lot of the fiber count of an orange.

Okay, that I understand. Of course, I wouldn't eat that stuff, anyway.

Still, I appreciate all of you pointing things like this out to me - definitely something I hadn't thought of before, and worth considering. I really appreciate all the support people here have given me.

Okay, that I understand. Of course, I wouldn't eat that stuff, anyway.

Still, I appreciate all of you pointing things like this out to me - definitely something I hadn't thought of before, and worth considering. I really appreciate all the support people here have given me.

I've long since read that you should NEVER drink "fruit juice." Rather, you should EAT fruit. Just think about the difference between eating an apple and drinking a glass of apple juice. No contest.

And, a helpful, if unacknowledged person on this board, pointed me to the word "Thatchers" to describe women with "balls." Works for me. Discuss.

My theory on the juice--until you hit a spot where you aren't losing any weight, keep the juice as you obviously get great enjoyment out of it.

Exactly why I asked. I used to drink juice every morning, because, well, I always had. Ever since I was a kid. Once I understood the nutrition value of fresh fruit rather than juice, I tried switching, and realized that I didn't miss it as much as I thought I would. I still love fresh juice, but I discovered I'm fine with having it once a week, rather than daily.

porcupine, I'm totally with you on the juice as a necessity in the morning. I used to drink grapefruit juice all the time. It was my default beverage of choice. Once I started doing WW, i realized I was going to have to cut back. But there was no way I was going to eliminate my 6-8 oz. in the am. Nothing was worth the agony that would cause!

Friday, January 19

today's challenge: lunch at A&J with friends; so many good things to eat!

breakfast: orange/tangerine juice, coffee with lowfat milk, lowfat yogurt, one peach

lunch: 1/2 order peanut cilantro tofu salad, most of a bowl of spicy beef noodle soup, Schezuan style

successfully managed to avoid drinking bubble tea

dinner: probably kabobs and rice from Moby Dick; will try to limit hummus consumption

exercise: probably no time today; need to finish one more piece of work for tomorrow's event; am procrastinating right now, typing this instead. :lol:

eta

snack: pot of tea with sugar (2 tsp); one caramel

dinner: 1/2 order chicken kabobs and rice, 1/2 flatebread, less than 1/2 order hummus from Moby Dick.

dessert: 8oz 1% fat milk.

Despite what I wrote earlier about hating fruit out of season, I picked up a peach at WF yesterday. To my great surprise it actually tasted like a peach and had decent texture (usually they're mealy out of season). This gives me hope, as I tire of bananas quickly, and pear, papaya, and mango are unreliable. Nothing else that's worth eating at this time of year goes well with yogurt. I am too texture fussy for my own good.

Saturday, January 20

Discouragement

Confession: I never weigh myself, because the numbers depress me. Mr. P has been weighing me for this challenge. It appears I am at the same weight as Tuesday. Looking over my food diary, I see that my caloric intake is just over half of usual. So, I've eliminated all this food from my diet and there's no change. whoopee.

The most successful diet I've ever been on involved no measurements except the jeans test: hen it came time to buy new jeans, I had lost a lot of weight. And kept it off. Now I'm trying the scale thing and there's no difference. :lol: This makes me want to binge on everything passed up this week.

Did manage to get a brisk walk/jog in yesterday, 1.6 miles in 24 minutes.

breakfast: tangerine juice, coffee with lowfat milk, yogurt with maple syrup and 1/4 c mango. Damn mangoes. They look so good in the store and you cut into them at home and they're mostly rotten except where they're too hard. feh.

today's challenge: I'm running an all-day training seminar based on a newly-developed curriculum in which none of my co-workers have experience. They're good, talented people and I trust them to get it right, but I'm still going to be a nervous wreck all day. Historically I react to that in one of two ways: binge snacking or total loss of appetite. Neither is healthy.

Will I be able to avoid the morning donuts? Can I dine lightly at the catered lunch? Will I arrive home too exhausted to do more than gorge on a delivered pizza and beer before falling into bed at 8:30? Stay tuned...

Saturday, January 20

Discouragement

All I can say is it sounds like you are doing great, so try to focus on the fact that you've made it this far. I react to stress similarly (um, ok, I never experience a lack of appetite or an inability to eat) and I have found that weight loss is not a straight line. Usually I hit a plateau, or what feels to me as my body mocking me. But in the past, when I've stuck with the plan and kept going (and maybe added a little more exercise for a bit), the weight came off. You're doing the right things. Even if you eat more than you want to now -- or don't have time to exercise-- if you stick as close as you can to your plan, you'll be ok. Before we all started this challenge I had been annoyed with myself for waiting so long to take care of this, but now I'm just happy I'm doing it. I am having some difficultiesl, I have been walking almost every day for 30-40 minutes and yesterday I decided to really up the speed and incline on the treadmill. Not a good idea for my ankle that I thought, mistakenly, had recovered from a bad sprain a few months ago. But for once in my life, I've been able to look at this "fitness challenge as a health experiment and not a diet per se (please, don't get me wrong, I'll still be thrilled to fit into my old wardrobe!). In any event, I hope today is easier for you than you think it will be and I hope I'll see you tomorrow.

Despite what I wrote earlier about hating fruit out of season, I picked up a peach at WF yesterday. To my great surprise it actually tasted like a peach and had decent texture (usually they're mealy out of season). This gives me hope, as I tire of bananas quickly, and pear, papaya, and mango are unreliable. Nothing else that's worth eating at this time of year goes well with yogurt. I am too texture fussy for my own good.
Have you tried frozen blueberries? I've found that they're reasonably quality, a quickie defrost in the microwaves keeps them cold, but not pebble like, and they taste great for me in plain yogurt.

I think that our bodies all go through cycles that can effect our weight loss or gain. You might be going through one of those cycles now. Since it looks like you have been exercising more, you might be adding muscle which, while it weighs more than fat, will eventually allow you to burn even more fat. It is good weight.

There is no way that the work you are putting into this isn't going to have a long term effect.

Try not to be discouraged! Give it time. I think it will pay off. Are you drinking lots of water?

I am. Guess I ought to be reporting that, too.

Smokey: love the blueberry idea - thanks!

cucas and bilrus - thanks for the encouragment!

Saturday update: lunch was most of the meat from a really awful barbeque sandwich; didn't eat the soggy bread. Only snack was a thermos of hot tea with sugar - and a beer with the staff during our wrap-up meeting - but no donuts! Whoo-hoo!

It's easy to be discouraged at 5:40 in the morning, looking at a day full of responsibility. But the day went well, in terms of both the job and appetite management. Feeling more encouraged now.

Tomorrow's challenge: it's a Dim Sum Sunday. Will probably have to skip dinner.

further update: dinner was 2 slices pizza from a small pie. Not a healthy thing, but I used to eat four pieces from this size pizza after a long day at work. Also avoided drinking beer with dinner. Am trying to stick to one serving alcohol/day. Boy is that tough sometimes.

Have you tried frozen blueberries? I've found that they're reasonably quality, a quickie defrost in the microwaves keeps them cold, but not pebble like, and they taste great for me in plain yogurt.

Note: Trader Joe's carries frozen organic blueberries (and other berries) and they're great! Also the good thing about frozen berries in plain yogurt is that the juices release in the microwave, so they get swirled in the yogurt. Yum! :lol:

Confession: I never weigh myself, because the numbers depress me.
OK. I've finally learned my lesson. When I still lived at home with my parents, I would weigh myself every time I went to the bathroom. Stayed unhappy. As an adult without a scale, I would go through periods of trauma (or unintended lifestyle changes) and would drop a dress size or so. Of course, I always put it back on, without knowing how much I had lost in the first place or how much I had gained back. Surprise, surprise: my "base" weight kept going up.

Now, with the fancy new scale, I am forcing myself to get on it at least once a week. I'm going to learn what it takes to take it off and keep it off. I've reached the age where all of this gets harder, so "blissful" ignorance is no longer an option. Long passed the age where I can even imagine making a living off my looks (like THAT was ever a possibility!), I just want to look presentable and not have clothes shopping be so problematical.

Note: Trader Joe's carries frozen organic blueberries (and other berries) and they're great! Also the good thing about frozen berries in plain yogurt is that the juices release in the microwave, so they get swirled in the yogurt. Yum! :lol:

I highly recommend what Whole Foods calls "wild" frozen blueberries, sold in tall thin foil bags (silver, blue & white).

However, the variety of frozen fruit at TJ is excellent and there is one type of Canadian blueberries that might be comparable to the type at WF. With the exception of the blueberries, the prices of frozen fruit seem best at TJ. I noticed something called Tropical Blend (?) that might appeal to you since it contains chunks of mango.

I personally like crisp apples cut into small slices in yogurt. I'll compromise by eating the variety called Pink Lady at Giant, but otherwise I have to say that there is no comparison between a good crisp apple purchased from the right vendor at the farmer's market and something from a grocery store.

Another possibility at breakfast: smoothies made from banana (I buy over-ripe ones, slice & freeze them individually), a favorite frozen fruit, skim milk and yogurt. No sweetener is needed if you use very ripe bananas. You could also do this with ice cubes and some of your beloved orange juice, no dairy. You'd still have the fiber of the frozen fruit and an entire day's quota of fruit.

N.B. A glass of orange juice=two servings of fruit. One serving of produce= 1/2 cup. (I've made the switch to fresh fruit only because I love grapefruit. I'll go back to juice once the season for good citrus fruit ends.)

Sunday, January 21

breakfast: the usual juice, coffee, yogurt, this time with a pear

lunch: dim sum at Lucky Three; ate a good amount of Chinese broccoli and the usual assortment, a la "choose one from each column"

shrimp / boiled

pork / steamed

veg / fried

no snacks today

dinner: a small bowl of leftover chili and one piece of cornbread

Really want a big bowl of ice cream right now. Will settle for a small glass of lowfat milk.

PS I can't figure out how to make columns here. phooey