Molecular Gastronomy

MeMc

Chow's discussion today on molecular gastronomy. . . (And, of course, Alinea.)

I've eaten at Moto twice (the 9 course and the GTM), Minibar once, and have reservations in February at WD-50. I think it's all a lot of fun and often the food can be excellent (in the case of Moto, not so much Minibar). I think the whole concept reminds us of a few things- first, food can be more than just a meal, but a full experience. It also reminds us that it's fun to play with your food. Success or failure on each dish isn't as important to me as the fact that here are a bunch of chefs truly doing something highly unique and different, and for that I applaud them. By the way, by course 17 of Moto's GTM I think you could have rolled me out of there. If people want I'm happy to provide a comparative review of Moto vs. Minibar (and I'll even leave out the reasons I don't like Chef Andres).

If people want I'm happy to provide a comparative review of Moto vs. Minibar (and I'll even leave out the reasons I don't like Chef Andres).

I'd like to hear that - my one experience at Moto (GTM) was probably the worst high end restaurant meal I've ever had, from the food (too many similar courses/presentation techniques/flavors) to the setting (cheap and unimaginative compared to the menu and prices) to the service (items listed as part of the $160 tasting menu being presented as "a gift from the chef"). Minibar simply served much better food at better prices in a more engaging setting.

I've done the tasting menu at wd-50 a couple of times - the first was very personalized with great service, the second was assembly line.

I'd like to hear that - my one experience at Moto (GTM) was probably the worst high end restaurant meal I've ever had, from the food (too many similar courses/presentation techniques/flavors) to the setting (cheap and unimaginative compared to the menu and prices) to the service (items listed as part of the $160 tasting menu being presented as "a gift from the chef"). Minibar simply served much better food at better prices in a more engaging setting.

I've done the tasting menu at wd-50 a couple of times - the first was very personalized with great service, the second was assembly line.

I'll be glad to, though I'm going to guess just from your post that we had completely opposite experiences at each place. I'll post it later tonight or tomorrow night. I also have a copy of Moto's GTM at home so I can more accurately go course by course with that. As a reference we ate at Moto on 12/30/06 for the GTM and at Minibar on or about 10/28/06.