Olive Oil

Greek vs. Italian.  Discuss.

Well, a lot of the "Italian" oil actually comes from Spain, Morocco and Turkey. That kind of muddles the discussion.

To unmuddle the conversation let's assume you can guarantee, which over here is relatively easy to do, that the Italian olive oil was produced from olives grown and pressed in Italy.

Greek v. Italian...

For all-around use we really like Frantoia, a Sicilian oil available at the Italian Store for about $25 a liter. Nice fruit with a hint of pepperiness. Holds up well to sauteing; doesn't overpower salad dressings; and makes a nice finish on pastas, meats, and veggies. I think Batali used it on his old "Molto Mario" show.

It is Californian and one of the best I`ve had along with Valderrama. My wife caught me while I was literally drinking this olive oil from the bottle. Single bottle did not last me 3 weeks. Frantoio Grove makes single olive, extra virgin oils. Very good balance of fruit, acidity and a smooth peppery finish. You should find at Union Market.

Just to be clear, David is referring to Frantoia from Siciliy; Ferhat is referring to Frantoio Grove from California - two completely different oils.

(I suspect I was the only person to become momentarily confused by this, or even notice.) :)

To unmuddle the conversation let's assume you can guarantee, which over here is relatively easy to do, that the Italian olive oil was produced from olives grown and pressed in Italy.

Greek v. Italian...

Well, I haven't had extensive experience with Greek olive oil, but I like the kalamata oils I have tasted on several occasions. Italian oils vary a lot, expensive ones that is, but I don't much care for the aggressively grassy, peppery ones I have tasted. So, for me--Greek.

We recently did a taste test of four oils, all extra virgin: one from southern Italy, one from Ticino, Switzerland, and two from Greece. All were grower or family made thus ensuring they were pure.

The unanimous winner was the liter I picked up at gas station in the middle of nowhere Greece, somewhere between Delphi and Athens.  It was bottled by the family that own the gas station made from olive grown in their groves near by.  The liter cost me 6.50 Euros, or less than $9.  It has a beautiful color of golden with a tinge of green.  The flavor full but not overpowering, peppery but not bitter.  For me, it is the perfect olive oil and I'll probably never find it again.

• Like 4

^ That is a deal for today only, so run, don't walk, etc. etc.

I didn't realize that. I was just happy to go there a pick up a couple of baskets and then wandered around the store and found the olive oil for a ridiculous price. Oh, and grabbed another bottle of Sriracha for $2.99 (what with the possible closing of the plant and all).

Ok, so I have a couple empty glass bottles from which I used all the olive oil.  They are from the place in Charlottesville Oil and Vinegar in Charlottesville- which I LOVE.  My problem is I won't be down there for a little while.  Is there anywhere that will let you refill bottles you own, with olive oil? Preferably in NOVA?

None of the WFM have bulk oil.  I called Ah Love and Olio in Old Town.  Neither refills bottles (although they sell them there, so I think that is completely stupid).  I don't know why I am feeling stubborn about this, but I just don't like having to buy glass bottle after bottle. I do recycle them, but I live in a condo with a small kitchen so I don't have room to buy a big container and keep it and then just pour it into small bottles.  I can't imagine that you can't just go somewhere weigh your empty container, fill it, weigh again and pay for the olive oil.

Not NoVa, but I'm quite sure that Asadur's market in Rockville will let you use your own bottles to fill up on olive oil.  They have a big container of, I believe, Greek oil (there's a sign on it explaining where the olives were harvested) and empty bottles that one can use.  The market is located at:

5536 Randolph Rd. (it's actually on Nebel St.)

It's a nice little Middle Eastern market.  Besides the normal products (feta, olives, mezze things), they have Lebanese wine, which seems unusual, certainly in MoCo.

There's a MOM's Market in the same shopping center and across the street is the very good Dana Bazaar (Indian) so it may be worthwhile for you to make the trip.

• Like 1

Not NoVa, but I'm quite sure that Asadur's market in Rockville will let you use your own bottles to fill up on olive oil.  They have a big container of, I believe, Greek oil (there's a sign on it explaining where the olives were harvested) and empty bottles that one can use.  The market is located at:

5536 Randolph Rd. (it's actually on Nebel St.)

It's a nice little Middle Eastern market.  Besides the normal products (feta, olives, mezze things), they have Lebanese wine, which seems unusual, certainly in MoCo.

There's a MOM's Market in the same shopping center and across the street is the very good Dana Bazaar (Indian) so it may be worthwhile for you to make the trip.

Thank you so much!  I am going to enjoy checking all these places out.  It sounds worth the trip.  (Not in rush hour of course, that would just be crazy.)

Last time, I ended up getting my bottles filled in Charlottesville at the Whole Foods, which has a very nice bulk section.  I don't think any Whole Foods that I know of in this area have bulk olive oil, so I will call the above market in Montgomery County, as I am very quickly dissipating my wonderful Croatian olive oil (hoping for a trip back in the foreseeable future but I am going to Japan in July, so it probably won't be until next year at the earliest). But if anyone knows of any new places to get bulk olive oil where one can fill their own bottles let me know. I am going to see if La Cuisine in Old Town does this.  

Should you be traveling and near a Fairway (NYC and environs), they have an olive oil sampling station.  We are enamored of their house brand unfiltered EVOO, which is grassy and peppery.  We liked it more than other offerings that are 3x the price.  It is often on sale for $8.99/liter. 

On 5/26/2016 at 10:43 AM, PollyG said:

Should you be traveling and near a Fairway (NYC and environs), they have an olive oil sampling station.  We are enamored of their house brand unfiltered EVOO, which is grassy and peppery.  We liked it more than other offerings that are 3x the price.  It is often on sale for $8.99/liter. 

"Grassy" is a hallmark characteristic of Tuscan olive oils - I suspect if you examine the container, it might say it's from Tuscany.

1)I now have Montenegrin friends bringing me olive oil to quench that particular love.   Istrian/Balkan olive oil is something I think has a very unique flavor, not like much of the Italian olive oil I have tasted.  I really like it. Istrian is more fruity and was particularly intriguing to me.  But I don't want to use my really good olive oil for general cooking...

2)I am really perplexed at why more places won't let you refill glass bottles of olive oil.  I understand they make more money on selling you bottles, BUT it seems so wasteful to me when I have a perfectly good glass bottle, especially stores that sell olive oil out of taps anyway- wouldn't selling more olive oil regardless of the fancy bottle be better for the store and keep the oil fresher?  This is just madness to me.  And I am really shocked that none of the Whole Foods or Wegman's around us that I have been to have bulk olive oil- it seems like such a no-brainer in terms of bulk products.  (I am trying to get better about reducing my overall waste and this is just really bothering me.)