Breakfast - The Early-Morning, Polyphonic Food Blog

txaggie

I don't often eat pastries and don't like sweet things early in the day but nonetheless just polished off almost half of a chocolate croissant-type confection.  P&C Market sells pastries from Bonaparte Breads on Sunday mornings.  They're usually sold out by 9:30 (or before I typically get there).  I was out early today and arrived right after they opened.  There was quite a spread to choose from.  The pastry I bought is called a schneike. Looking online, I see that it also contains pastry cream, which makes sense.  There was something else in this that I couldn't identify and now I see that's what it is.

The remainder has been stored away for my husband to eat later.

Also a cup of their coffee to round things out.  They sell Vigilante in packages at P&C, but the to-go coffee is their own blend, which I think comes from someone else.  I forget :unsure:.

J. went out to Homestead Farm on Saturday with a friend and picked blueberries. He was inspired to make a blueberry pie--including the crust !!! The pie was eaten for breakfast and dessert on successive days until it was gone. I made blueberry preserves and today for breakfast had the last of the little bit that didn't fill out a whole half-pint jar on toast with goat cheese.

First meal of the new year:

Scrapple

Swiss cheese soufflé (leftovers)

Pumpernickel bagel with light cream cheese

And my husband also had some shredded mini wheats (the TJ's generic version).

The scrapple (served with a choice of ketchup or maple syrup) came from South Mountain Creamery.  It had been in the freezer quite a while.  I don't know if they make it themselves or who makes it for them, but it was pretty good.  I'd order it again if they still offer it.

• Like 1

So two questions here if okay? How much rum?  And, how high were the flames?  Have always been a sucker for desserts that involve fire.

1. A pour count of three or four, maybe?  2.  Zero flames.  I poured the rum, screwed the cap back on the Barbancourt bottle, set it down on the counter, took a moment to think about the fact that my robe is microfiber and is, therefore, probably extremely flammable, and then realized everything had bubbled out and the sauce was ready.  I'm not a morning person.

• Like 1

our snow-day tradition:

steel cut oatmeal cooked in a mix of almond milk, coconut milk and water, with chopped ripe banana, chopped golden raisins and dried green figs, vanilla bean, cinnamon stick, slices of ginger, whole black cardamom, orange peel. The oatmeal is cooked on the lowest possible flame for at least 45 minutes and the solids are removed prior to serving.

our snow-day tradition:steel cut oatmeal cooked in a mix of almond milk, coconut milk and water, with chopped ripe banana, chopped golden raisins and dried green figs, vanilla bean, cinnamon stick, slices of ginger, whole black cardamom, orange peel. The oatmeal is cooked on the lowest possible flame for at least 45 minutes and the solids are removed prior to serving.

Is the almond milk/coconut milk to accommodate a lactose-free diet of for flavor? This sounds great btw. Can't believe I have all the ingredients for it. Will do.

Is the almond milk/coconut milk to accommodate a lactose-free diet of for flavor? This sounds great btw. Can't believe I have all the ingredients for it. Will do.

No dietary issues involved. I used to make it with a mix of skim milk, coconut milk, and water. The coconut milk is for flavor, and it adds creaminess. One time, I was low on regular milk, but had lots of almond milk, so I substituted it. I liked how the oatmeal came out, so I eliminated the skim milk. J likes to eat his with some half and half, a pat of butter, and maple syrup. I find it almost sweet enough with the dried fruit in it, so I just add a tiny bit of maple syrup. And I like a bit of cold almond milk poured around it--just because I like the taste.
  • Like 1

Snow Day Breakfast:

Scrambled eggs with dill

Toasted Ezekiel English muffin with cream cheese

I put some of the eggs on the muffin half to make an open-faced sandwich.  Really good.

My vegetarian BIL and SIL are staying here with us this weekend, to attend a birthday celebration for their son-in-law. We hosted them and the niece and nephew for brunch today. I made shakshouka with the addition of feta, and burnt eggplant, which I cooked in the woodstove last night. We started with prosecco, and ate the shakshouka with afghan flatbread I bought at Halalco. J and his brother made their mother's recipe for crumb cake while I was out at the farmers' market this morning, and we ate the cake with fresh pineapple, strawberries, and blood orange slices.

• Like 2

I am doing a "Summer Slim Down" challenge at my CrossFit box, so I am trying to get a lot of protein without also getting a ton of fat (some is fine, but it's hard not to go over when dealing with animal protein).  I found a recipe for protein pancakes - made with cottage cheese, gluten-free rolled oats, eggs, banana, almond milk, and cinnamon - and they really do the trick.  We don't even use syrup - with some sliced strawberries on top, they are plenty sweet.  It's a nice change of pace from scrambled eggs.

Today I had leftover injera and buttermilk scrambled eggs.  Eggs are great picked up with injera, especially injera that still has the remnants of some spicy aware sauce on it.  I was out of regular milk so splashed a little full-fat buttermilk into the egg mixture.  Buttermilk worked great with the eggs.

• Like 1

I've been making a lot of this baked apple cherry oatmeal recipe lately. Because I don't like regular rolled oats, this is a nice way to get some whole grains and fruits in the morning without added fat or sugar. The baby loves it and always demands his fair share. It doesn't really need it, but tastes nice with a dab of maple syrup.

On 5/16/2016 at 1:31 PM, Katya4me said:

I prefer to make my weekday breakfasts on Sunday night, and last week I ate a Paleo version of egg foo young on toast.  

That looks really good, I just saved it!  I have been trying to eat more protein first thing in the morning and that looks like a nice combo of egg, meat, spinach.  I do a lot of egg white breakfast sandwiches or hard boiled egg breakfast sandwiches on light whole grain english muffins with various toppings, so this fits right in, but with a little bit of a twist.  Thanks for sharing.    

If you're looking for tasty muffins that freeze well, I've made Blue Sky's bran muffins (posted on Smitten Kitchen here: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2014/05/blue-sky-bran-muffins/) in several fruit variations, and enjoyed them every time.  Today, however, I learned something - that if you're going to make banana-coconut, don't use thickly-flaked coconut and don't use too much as the muffin will separate into halves, bounded by that blob of coconut.  :angry:  They still taste great, though.  I also made a batch of mixed-berry.

Half a muffin, plus a sandwich of Stachowski pastrami topped with melted Di Palo sharp provolone that I picked up in NYC a few weeks ago, made a weirdly excellent brunch.

• Like 1