Breakfast - The Early-Morning, Polyphonic Food Blog

txaggie

Pirates of the Carribean Eggo waffles. My son is currently gaga for anything to do with pirates and went nuts when we saw these in the frozen food section.

With plums and Whole Foods slab bacon - available at the Kentlands location. I hope hope hope the Silver Spring Whole Foods carries the slab bacon, because while driving to Gaithersburg from Rockville for bacon is an annoyance, driving from Takoma Park to Gaithersburg for bacon would be insane.

I hope hope hope the Silver Spring Whole Foods carries the slab bacon, because while driving to Gaithersburg from Rockville for bacon is an annoyance, driving from Takoma Park to Gaithersburg for bacon would be insane.

Note that she doesn't suggest that she won't do it, just that it would be insane to do so. I mean, it IS bacon we're talking about...

And a handful of broken glass.

From bio on Marcus Samuelsson:

Back in the kitchen, Marcus uses the plate as his canvas - think Pollack with less splatter. Marcus's most prized tool in the kitchen is his brush: "It's something I've had forever, since I was a kid. I paint on plates. Anything is a vehicle for me to serve food on." Contrasting colors and texture is one of Marcus's trademarks. He'll often paint a striking, ribbon of balsamic reduction or a spoon of black mustard on a stark, white plate. He eagerly draws on New York's multiculturalism, from East Village grunge to Park Avenue pristine - and he mixes them. Take for instance, how he serves osetra caviar on broken glass… junk culture juxtaposed with luxury and prestige.
Sounds more like Chris Burden, but here's the source.

roasted ear of sweet corn from spring valley (dupont circle farmers market). as i peered into the refrigerator wondering what to have for breakfast, a lone ear of corn caught my eye. i wondered is corn appropriate for breakfast? happily i remembered that grits are a corn product, so i grabbed the ear, shucked it and threw it in the oven.

yum. summer.

Whole wheat English muffins from Trader Joe's slathered with Plugra and German Tannen-Honig from the German Gourmet on Lee Highway. (A couple nights ago I also grilled a few Thí¼ringer from the German Gourmet--it was the first time I have ever had sausages in the US with the taste and texture that they have in Germany. This place is going to be a regular stop for us.)

my breakfast didn't come 'til lunch (Popeye's has a deal here on Tuesdays, 2 pieces of dark meat for $.89, times 2, plus tax = $1.92 for 2 legs and 2 thighs, spicy) but my dog's breakfast was two scrambled fairly tight (as he prefers), three slices of crispy bacon, two pieces buttered toast and about a half cup of left-over champ w/ chewy bacon that my wife made for dinner last night with the idea that it would be another medium to get him the bacon he loves.

(we got a bad diagnosis from the vet so we're spoiling him rotten for what will be a regrettably short time.)

12 1/2 years he got no human food whatsoever, we're making up for it.

Cinnamon Buns

Dough:

3/4 cup 4% milkfat cottage cheese

1/3 cup buttermilk

1/4 cup sugar

4 Tbs unsalted butter, melted

1 tsp. vanilla

2 cups flour

1 Tbs baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp baking soda

Filling:

1 1/2 Tbs unsalted butter, melted

2/3 cup brown sugar

1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp ground all spice

1/2 tsp ground cloves

1 cup pecans, chopped

Glaze:

2/3 cup powdered sugar

2-3 Tbs cold milk

1 tsp vanilla

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a springform pan (or whatever baking dish you're using).

In a food processor, combine cottage cheese, buttermilk, sugar, butter, and vanilla until smooth. Add flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda and pulse until dough clumps together. The dough will be soft. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth. Roll dough into a 12X15 rectangle.

Brush dough with melted butter, leaving a 1/2 inch border along the edges. Combine brown sugar and spices and sprinkle over the buttered area. Sprinkle nuts over sugar mixture.

Starting at the long edge, roll up dough jelly-roll style. Cut the roll into 12 pieces. Set pieces, cut side up, in pan. Bake until golden brown/firm to touch, about 20-28 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes.

Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle glaze over the rolls.

Three varieties of Russ and Daughters lox--Baltic (smoked), wild Alaskan, and Balik (smoked fatty loin)

Plain, caviar and vegetable cream cheeses

N.Y.C. bagels--onion, poppy seed, sesame

Herring in sour cream

tomato, sweet onion, Kalamata olives, capers

cappucini with Peet's Italian roast beans

:blink: eat your hearts out with envy out there, cause when you are talking lox and bagels, it does not get any better than Russ and Daughters...