Breakfast - The Early-Morning, Polyphonic Food Blog

txaggie

Yesterday was the Festival of the Seven Herbs in Japan, so we had nanakusa gayu (seven-herb, or grass, porridge). The seven herbs are are hakobera (chickweed), suzushiro (daikon radish), gogyou (cudweed), nazuna (shepherd's purse), seri (water dropwort, or Japanese parsley), suzuna (turnip), and hotokenoza (nipplewort). There's also some toasted mochi in it because the herb set package told us to put some in.

nanakusa_gayu.JPG

The seven herbs are are hakobera (chickweed), suzushiro (daikon radish), gogyou (cudweed), nazuna (shepherd's purse), seri (water dropwort, or Japanese parsley), suzuna (turnip), and hotokenoza (nipplewort).
Man, it hurts like hell to have one of those removed... and please don't tell me the plant has milky sap or a sweet, creamy taste. Eat gogyou with a spoon?

I apologise.

Micro green salad with mozzarella, micro basil and myer lemon oil. Second round had lavender balsamic vinegar and lots of tomato powder added.

For breakfast? Way too healthy. We had buttermilk biscuits with meyer lemon curd and meyer lemon marmalade (all homemade).

Nigella's Dense Chocolate Loaf Cake. I've got loads of baking chocolate right now, and in support of Mr lperry's attempt to lose a few pounds, I figure I need to eat it at breakfast. This cake is really good, and I'l probably make it this summer to serve with berries and whipped cream, but it's not what I was looking for in a breakfast food. I'm going to try Dorie Greenspan's cocoa-nana bread next subbing chocolate for the cocoa.

orange-blueberry muffins (Dorie Greenspan's recipe, made with frozen wild blueberries) which one guest pronounced "the best muffin of my life"... compliment appreciated, but then he's only in his mid-twenties.

canteloupe

bagels, choice of homemade chevre or cream cheeses from Russ & Daughters (all of the lox got eaten day before yesterday)

Russ&Daughters creamed herring

oj

Peet's

This morning, I stumbled into the fortune of having the ingredients on hand to make a Mexican-inspired breakfast. Pasted below is the recipe for Adobo Egg Tortillas. Yes, there's a shortcut by using Penzey's adobo seasoning, but damn yo, it's breakfast.

From the sweetness of the corn tortilla and slight kick from the adobo-spiced eggs to the slight crunch from the bell pepper, this was a highly addictive and filling breakfast. A picture is (hopefully) attached, and the improv recipe pasted below (from my Flickr-based Food Forum).

Because this was pre-caffeine, laziness hit me, so the filling in the picture is about twice as much as belongs in a single tortilla. I shamefully ate it anyway, however, making more of a mess than is probably legal in some states.

=====

Adobo Egg Tortillas (for one, can easily be doubled or tripled)

1/4 to 1/2 an avocado

1 to 2 tsp chopped cilantro

Spray oil

2 eggs

Splash of milk

Penzey's Adobo Seasoning (features Mexican oregano)

Salt

2 TB chopped red bell pepper

1 to 2 TB chopped onion (purple makes for good color contrast)

2 small corn tortillas (organic if you can; the Whole Foods 365 brand is *amazing*)

Mix the avocado with the cilantro, and add a touch of salt. A fork works well for mashing. Set to the side to let the flavors meld.

Heat a nonstick pan over medium, spritz with the oil. Add the onion, let saute for a half minute or so, then add the bell pepper. Add a pinch of salt and a quick shake of Adobo seasoning. Saute for a minute or two, stirring occasionally to avoid browning, cooking just long enough to slightly tenderize the vegetables.

Crack the two eggs into a small bowl, add the splash of milk and two more shakes of the Adobo seasoning. Whisk until yolks appear blended, but large bubbles remain.

Increase the heat of the pan to medium-high, add the eggs, and immediately use your spatula to fold and mix the eggs. Continue cooking, lifting and folding the eggs, until eggs are cooked through. Remove pan from the heat, cover to keep eggs warm.

Use a damp paper towel to clean off the pan. Spray the pan once again with oil and place it back on the burner, medium heat. Place a corn tortilla directly into the pan, about fifteen or twenty seconds each side, flipping back and forth until the tortilla is highly pliable and may show some browning marks. Conduct the same steps for the second tortilla, keeping the first one to the side where it can stay warm.

Place the tortillas on a plate, divide the egg mixture evenly between the tortillas, and then top evenly with the avocado mixture. Enjoy immediately--in every sense of the word, these will go quickly!

post-5654-1243128961_thumb.jpg

This morning, I stumbled into the fortune of having the ingredients on hand to make a Mexican-inspired breakfast. Pasted below is the recipe for Adobo Egg Tortillas. Yes, there's a shortcut by using Penzey's adobo seasoning, but damn yo, it's breakfast.

From the sweetness of the corn tortilla and slight kick from the adobo-spiced eggs to the slight crunch from the bell pepper, this was a highly addictive and filling breakfast. A picture is (hopefully) attached, and the improv recipe pasted below (from my Flickr-based Food Forum).

Because this was pre-caffeine, laziness hit me, so the filling in the picture is about twice as much as belongs in a single tortilla. I shamefully ate it anyway, however, making more of a mess than is probably legal in some states.

That sounds (and looks) quite good. At first I thought there were some beans in there, but that must be the red onion. Nice color combinations.

[Your photo attached just fine. I was trying to upload photos in the dinner thread and ended up embedding them because I couldn't get the upload to work. Is there a secret to this, or was I not waiting a long enough time for the upload to be successful?]

My favorite food writer, Stan Sesser, reports in the Asian Wall St Journal that he had a kaiseki breakfast in Kyoto that featured "the best hard-cooked egg I've ever had." Is hard-cooked the same as hard-boiled? Short of mixing it with other stuff, or sprinkling it with spices, how is one egg better than another? Does it have to do with chicken feed?

^ Hard-cooked is what I heard growing up in the south. It's the same as hard-boiled. And the eggs we used to get from my grandmother tasted much better than the best organic, free-range, vegetable-fed ones that I can get at the store. Happy foraging chickens make great eggs.

This morning is cocoa-nana bread from Dorie Greenspan. I like the flavor, but I'm not super happy with the texture. The crumb is too tight.

Mr. Sesser's reply to my query:

<< I grew up calling them hard-boiled eggs, but outside the U.S. no one knows what you're talking about. Okay, this hard-boiled egg first of all was cooked just to the point where it was hard but the yolk a tiny bit runny, in other words it had some juice to it. The yolk was the darkest orange I've ever seen. I don't know how to describe the taste, but the chicken definitely wasn't running around pecking at dirt. The taste was so fantastic you wouldn't want to do anything to it, not even sprinkle on some salt.>>

Mr. Sesser's reply to my query:

<< I grew up calling them hard-boiled eggs, but outside the U.S. no one knows what you're talking about. Okay, this hard-boiled egg first of all was cooked just to the point where it was hard but the yolk a tiny bit runny, in other words it had some juice to it. The yolk was the darkest orange I've ever seen. I don't know how to describe the taste, but the chicken definitely wasn't running around pecking at dirt. The taste was so fantastic you wouldn't want to do anything to it, not even sprinkle on some salt.>>

There's a Dutch saying: "An egg without salt is like a kiss without a moustache"... I'll allow all of the clean-shaven men and their fans throw things at me now, while I duck. I definitely require salt with my eggs. And my man is mustachio-ed. But I'm not Dutch! They said it, not me!

I have to take issue with Mr. Sesser in another way as well: the tastiest eggs come from chickens that have their feet on the ground, and get sun on their feathers. And different breeds of chickens and different types of feed can influence how deep yellow the yolk is.

Spoon-sized shredded wheat w blueberries and nectarine (peel eaten separately)

2% milk

Coffee w rich milk from Clear Springs Creamery

Had dinner in late afternoon yesterday, so needed more protein.

Fried an egg to sandwich between halves of a buttermilk biscuit; dab of quark

Local nectarine was still tiny, tart and best for green salads or cooking, but berries perfect and I love this combination of fruits.

Cheerios with the last strawberries of the season, the first peaches of the season <snip>

Peaches?!?! Woohoo! From where? I missed the markets this past weekend. :D

I think Oikos has going downhill; there is something about the milk used by Stonyfield Farms, but I can't place my tastebuds on it. Oikos is mentioned as I had Oikos Honey-flavored with my Cascadian Farm granola. Not as cool as Cheerios, though.

I think Oikos has going downhill; there is something about the milk used by Stonyfield Farms, but I can't place my tastebuds on it. Oikos is mentioned as I had Oikos Honey-flavored with my Cascadian Farm granola. Not as cool as Cheerios, though.

Peaches at Dupont Circle last Sunday were firsts, so I am guessing they'll crop up elsewhere throughout the week.

When I poured milk on my market blueberries (last week's were on sale at Harris Teeter) and generic, store-brand shredded wheat this morning, it came out in clumps! Date on the container: Jul 07. Capitol Hill Safeway.

Homestead Farms just started picking theirs; white nectarines, too. Unfortunately they were all rock hard and almost odorless. Like too many other places, the more popular Homestead becomes, the lower the quality gets. :blink: The tart cherries are still really nice, though.

The Talkative Lady at Dupont had them (on your right facing south, about half-way between the dueling Sunnysides). I was skeptical but she was dealing out free slices and, lo and behold, they were real. The peaches at Quaker Valley at Mt. P and and DC were unimpressive.

The Talkative Lady at Dupont had them (on your right facing south, about half-way between the dueling Sunnysides). I was skeptical but she was dealing out free slices and, lo and behold, they were real. The peaches at Quaker Valley at Mt. P and and DC were unimpressive.

You mean the short one who sometimes wears roller blades to move quickly from one side of her stand to another? Whose son got a huge scholarship to Stanford? Who used to have a sign requesting that you not whistle, spit or sing whilst examining or purchasing her wares?

Black Rock Orchard's Emily.

Quaker Valley's nectarines may not have been all that this early in the season, but the black raspberries were a works of art. Delicious. Too good for cereal, but perfect for Greek yogurt. Looking forward to the goldens they brought only to their other markets this past week.

Outdoors on a beautiful day with no humidity:

Thick slab of toasted Pugliese covered w mostly melted, fresh mozzarella, slivers of basil, Black Prince tomato, fleur de sel

3 Nicoise olives

2 bites dressed chopped, cooked beet greens

Coffee w plain old ordinary 2% milk from Safeway

Half a yellow peach

Handful of blueberries

Bit more of black raspberries

Some of above splattered on novel from the DC public library

Yesterday: leftover roasted apricots, fresh red raspberries and honey w large dollop of Greek-style yogurt

Toasted Struan w peanut butter

Coffee w milk, second one iced

Today: first cantaloupe from the farmers' market, blueberries and mint

Poached egg on thick, buttered slab of toasted Pugliese

Coffee w milk

In the summer, especially after a sultry night when clouds are all talk and no action, breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.

This morning:

visiting my friend's new house on a small lake in the Catskills I got up at six this morning, compelled to pick wild highbush blueberries in the thickets along the edge of the lake thick mist perched on top of the water. The berries have just started ripening, and there's been so much rain here the bushes are thick with them, small dark and dusky and millions of still green ones.In half an hour, my friend joined me and we picked about a quart of them--they are tiny and it takes a lot of picking to fill a pint, but they are so abundant. She knew they were there, but hadn't picked any before. they are a bit sour on the tongue, straight from bush to mouth, but when they are cooked with sugar o what intense flavor.

For breakfast we had:

wild blueberry pancakes (Edna Lewis' skillet cake recipe with berries added)

wild blueberry sauce

sliced peaches

cappuccini

This morning:

visiting my friend's new house on a small lake in the Catskills I got up at six this morning, compelled to pick wild highbush blueberries in the thickets along the edge of the lake thick mist perched on top of the water. The berries have just started ripening, and there's been so much rain here the bushes are thick with them, small dark and dusky and millions of still green ones.In half an hour, my friend joined me and we picked about a quart of them--they are tiny and it takes a lot of picking to fill a pint, but they are so abundant. She knew they were there, but hadn't picked any before. they are a bit sour on the tongue, straight from bush to mouth, but when they are cooked with sugar o what intense flavor.

For breakfast we had:

wild blueberry pancakes (Edna Lewis' skillet cake recipe with berries added)

wild blueberry sauce

sliced peaches

cappuccini

this morning I used some of the wild blueberries I picked yesterday afternoon, from the bushes that the landscapers had cut down to make a small pebble beach by the boat ramp, before they hauled them away, and made

buttermilk blueberry muffins with almond streusel topping

and my friend made bacon and fried local farm eggs

and we drank espresso.

then we went for a 2 mile hike through the woods to a deserted lake in the state park across the road from my friend's house and found black trumpet mushrooms (also known as black chanterelles) and boletus edulis (porcini) along the way. a forager's paradise.

the muffins had an amazingly light, tender crumb and we ramped up the blueberry action with the leftover blueberry sauce from yesterday's pancakes.