Breakfast - The Early-Morning, Polyphonic Food Blog

txaggie

I hosted a cocktail party last night, and one of the dishes was supposed to be chorizo and goat cheese "egg rolls." The filling turned out great, but I fought the phyllo dough and the phyllo dough won. No matter--that chorizo and goat cheese (and chive) filling made some DELICIOUS omelets this morning. Hooray for hangover food!

Smelling salts.

Because it's so beautiful out there, I am going to faint! :angry:

Actual, consciousness-elevating as opposed to consciousness-saving, breakfast will soon include:

*oven apple oatmeal; thick rolled oats baked with local apples, cinnamon, and milk

*Jehovah-Jireh farm eggs, scrambled with herbs

*Applegate farms breakfast ham with a whisper-touch of maple syrup

*the nectar of life (coffee)

...and a hopeless dose of cheese (Pandora's "Mannheim Steamroller Holiday" music).

A rare Sunday morning without a visit to Dupont Circle--even after I would have been able to get out of my street, I foresaw big trouble finding a place to park near the market.

The likelihood of having a plow come down our 1-block-long, dead-end street is somewhere between zero and none. So J and I were out with our neighbors this morning, digging out and taking turns packing down the snow with our cars--starting with the guy next door who has a Jeep. We worked up quite an appetite and had a nice breakfast afterward: chanterelle omelets, Eco-Friendly bacon and whole grain toast, and café au lait. No Sunday newspapers, unfortunately.

Yolk-rich, gently steamed skillet eggs (Jehovah Jireh farm) over chopped baby spinach (Earthbound), with a healthy punch of finely ground sea salt and freshly ground tellicherry. Bizarrely unseasonal yet immensely satisfying chopped fruit blend of pineapple, cantaloupe, and honeydew.

Counter Culture's Holiday Blend cut in half with Chocolate Mint Teeccino.

One last leisurely breakfast as the charm of this snow wanes into exasperation.

Bob's Red Mill oatmeal with golden raisins, cooked with coconut milk, vanilla bean and cinnamon stick

cappucini made with the newly repaired espresso machine

we tried out Kill Devil espresso beans from Arrowine as a potential replacement for mail-order, fresh roasted Peet's beans and while I liked it as straight espresso, milder and more refined than Peet's Italian Roast, it got lost in the steamed milk and lacked the power of Peet's. <sigh> I was really hoping this would be the one.

A torta with eggs, Italian hot sausage, roasted red peppers, spinach, fontina cheese, heavy cream, milk

Fresh fruit and berries

Dark German pumpernickel bread -- baked by my German daughter-in-law

French champagne (Montaudon)

Peet's Holiday Blend

:Where can I buy this?

Groff's Content Farm sells at the Silver Spring farmers market on Saturday mornings during the regular season--I'll be glad to let you know if they're returning for the winter market on January 9.

I know it's not their only market, so you might try a web search for their name and see if there is a more convenient location. Not the only terrific bacon around, but worth trying at least once as I just did.

:Where can I buy this?

Groff's Content Farm sells at the Silver Spring farmers market on Saturday mornings during the regular season--I'll be glad to let you know if they're returning for the winter market on January 9.

I know it's not their only market, so you might try a web search for their name and see if there is a more convenient location. Not the only terrific bacon around, but worth trying at least once as I just did.

GlutenFreeda's Gluten Free Breakfast Beef Burrito (stupidly tasty for a microwave gig, but it could be this morning's workout talking)*

Half Counter Culture Shakisso Natural Sundried/Half Chocolate Mint Teeccino with warmed goat milk

*If anyone has a technique for a white corn or rice flour savory breakfast burrito that freezes well, PM me. Eternal adulation will be yours.

Leftover mashed potatoes and parsnip turned into potato pancakes with chevre and dill. Topped with sour cream and more dill.

Not quite as good as my mom's, but so far my best effort yet. I make them from memory; Mom added flour, baking soda? and eggs. I just eyeball it and see what happens.

4299922805_22232a965e.jpg

Goodeats, do you have a good recipe for blueberry waffles? Hubs and I got a waffle iron as a wedding present, but we haven't used it yet because we haven't found a good batter to start with.

Bettyjoan - good waffle recipes are hard to find! - probably not, but this was pretty good for a work in progress. Gelittleman liked it enough to eat an entire waffle, so I guess that's a pretty nice endorsement. Hope you like it - and others - please feel free to add tips to the recipe!

*Makes 2.5 waffles*

2 cups flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 to 1/2 cup of sugar

1 to 2 cups of milk (I used soy, but really, buttermilk is best. I used roughly about 1.5 cups of soy milk -- probably closer to 1 if using buttermilk?)

2 splashes of rice vinegar (should be vinegar with milk, but NOT add if you use buttermilk, and it was the only vinegar I had)

1 stick of butter

1 egg, separated

Washed blueberries (handful)

Sift dry ingredients together and set aside. Melt butter and set aside to cool.

Separate egg yolk and egg white - beat white until almost stiff - to fold in for later.

Once butter has cooled, beat yolk and butter together until mixed. Add that to sugar and mix until blended.

Fold that into the dry ingredients, and slowly add milk + vinegar (I added vinegar after I added the milk, but before folding in the whites) or buttermilk to mix well for a thick batter. Fold whites into batter well.

Heat waffle iron, pour in batter, then add blueberries and follow instructions for doneness. Mine had a little red light that went off after it's cooked.

Enjoy!

Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes.

Today's breakfast wasn't a waffle, sadly--instead, I had Egg Beaters on a flour tortilla with homemade tomatillo salsa. The salsa was awesome, and it made me forget (at least for a moment) that I was eating fake eggs.

I received a tip from a co-worker that the best egg-white substitute is Lucerne, found up here in Safeway. Not sure if you have access to it in Atlanta but I heartily concur.

Breakfast for the floor:

Pan Sized Pancakes (8-10 inch diameter, and crazy fluffy - like1 to 2 inches thick)

Frittata with potatoes, onions, monterey jack, and cheddar

Scrambled eggs

Whole Foods Maple Chicken Sausage

Fake Meat Sausage (for the vegetarians, ugh)

Awesome! You are spoiling them, and I am sure they love it. In return, make them at least host a dessert party for you sometime soon.

Gawds I miss dorm life.