Bagels

amyblues

I don't like toasted bagels, so it's got to be good on its own. Cosi seemed to specialize in greasy egg/bacon/cheese concoctions, so the taste of the roll is probably unimportant.
Really good, fresh bagels I'll eat without toasting. Most times I eat them toasted :mellow:.

So, this Saturday is National Bagel and Lox Day. I'm trying to decide between the Georgetown Bagelry in Bethesda or going for H&H at Calvert Woodley. But where should I go for good lox?

Dean & DeLuca and Georgetown Bagelry across the street. Still open last weekend.

But where should I go for good lox?

Anyone been to the latest incarnation of Krupin's lately? Deli has been hit or miss over the years, but whenever one of the Brothers Krupin has been involved in any way, the hand-sliced lox has been hard to beat.

2 Amy's was serving house made bagels and lox last Saturday. Quite good.

Show me the boiler.

So, this Saturday is National Bagel and Lox Day. I'm trying to decide between the Georgetown Bagelry in Bethesda or going for H&H at Calvert Woodley. But where should I go for good lox?

I'd be shocked if C-W doesn't have lox. But I agreee with Mrs. B -- and not just because I have to -- that the trip to G'Town for the Bagel Bakery (Related to bethesda's? I thought they were a one-off) and the mutliple salmon options from across the street si worth the trip.

Bageltowne in the Traville shopping center(Rockville) has some of the best belly lox around. Nova just doesn't do it for a true New Yorker, it has to be belly.

Bagel City on Rockville Pike had very good bagels. I haven't been there in a while but authentic and good.

I thought the Georgetown location had closed already; very glad to hear I can still head over there and pick up lox at D&D in one fell swoop.

All the thinking about appropriate celebration of National Bagels and Lox Day sent me into a fit of NYC food nostalgia/longing. So a package from Barney Greengrass, containing mini chocolate babka, half-sour pickles and bagels, is winging its way to DC. I'm looking forward to comparing those to the Bagelry.

For those lamenting the "closing" of the Georgetown Bagelry, I just read in the Georgetowner that the shop is merely relocating. It is moving to a spot right across from the CVS on Wisconsin Avenue in Georgetown. According to the paper, it will have the same owners/menu.

For those lamenting the "closing" of the Georgetown Bagelry, I just read in the Georgetowner that the shop is merely relocating. It is moving to a spot right across from the CVS on Wisconsin Avenue in Georgetown. According to the paper, it will have the same owners/menu.

Has anyone been by this site recently and notice any activity?

On a related note, I stopped by the relocated "original" Georgetown Bagelry on River Road this morning and found the bagels still to be a strong contender for the best in the area. Took home a "Miami Burger" (Cream Cheese & Lox) on an Everything Bagel. Nice.

Big fan of Goldberg's in Rockville. This after having given up eating bagels in Arlington because most of them were horrible.

I used to really like Greenberg's in the Georgetown Square shopping center - not the best, but serviceable, closest to me, and they always had good coupons - but they closed. Must have been the coupons. Drifted to Bagel City, to Ize's, then settled down at Goldberg's, who does have a decent bialy at that - nice and oniony. Their challah is also pretty good, but they might be getting that from a kosher bakery in Baltimore.

FWIW, I would still go to Ize's and BC (BC's bagels are noticeably smaller than the others, and Ize's sometimes get "fluffy.") Greenberg's is closed on Saturday ("what, you want we should sell bagels on shabbas? GOY!" :lol:

They're all better than this:

http://weblogs.variety.com/theknife/2008/0...s-dont-get.html

Has anyone been by this site recently and notice any activity?

On a related note, I stopped by the relocated "original" Georgetown Bagelry on River Road this morning and found the bagels still to be a strong contender for the best in the area. Took home a "Miami Burger" (Cream Cheese & Lox) on an Everything Bagel. Nice.

Did this ever happen, or was this idea another victim of the economy?

I'm a fan of The Bagel Place in College Park. Whether that's because they're that good or because they're a five-minute walk from my apartment is up to you to decide, but I've always been pleased by the bagels I get there. They must be doing something right anyway, because on Sunday mornings the line will go out the door, and you will NOT be able to find a place to sit inside. I especially can appreciate getting a hot breakfast sandwich there in the morning before classes. Yum.

In fact, I think I'll head over there now......

I'm a fan of The Bagel Place in College Park. Whether that's because they're that good or because they're a five-minute walk from my apartment is up to you to decide, but I've always been pleased by the bagels I get there. They must be doing something right anyway, because on Sunday mornings the line will go out the door, and you will NOT be able to find a place to sit inside. I especially can appreciate getting a hot breakfast sandwich there in the morning before classes. Yum.
I haven't been there in years, but I used to think the bagels were pretty decent. I'd forgotten about that place.

On occasion, I shop at the Giant at Baileys Crossroads, which has recently undergone a significant renovation. On a couple of recent visits, I've bought some bagels from the in-store bakery, and they've been pretty good. They're not NY deli bagels or Chesapeake Bagel Bakery bagels, but I've been pleased with them. Before I tried these, I had pretty much given up on buying bagels locally.

It's a bit of a small trek for me to Herndon, but has anyone been to KSB Cafe? They claim to be NY bagels.
I am happy to report that KSB's bagels are very acceptable indeed. They've got a proper crisp-but-not-shattery crust, a nice chewy inside, and they toast up nicely if you prefer your bagels toasted (we got one sesame toasted, one untoasted for comparison purposes). Their scallion and salmon cream cheeses are also very good, which even if the bagels weren't better would give them a substantial leg up over their main Herndon/Reston area competitor, Bagel Cafe.

I'd have to give them another shot before I say they're worth trekking out from DC or Maryland, but I'd certainly recommend them to the Northern Virginia folks right now.

Hate to get off topic, but I haven't found a good NY style bagel in DC yet. Any suggestions?

I know Arrowine and Chutzpah bring down H&H dough and bake it off here.

Of the "mass-market" bagels I think Wegmans' are probably the best, better than Chesapeake, Einstein, and the like.

Georgetown Bagelry on River Road in the same shopping center as the Whole Foods. Best bagels I've had in the DC area.

I agree. These are the same folks that used to be in Georgetown. Another strong contender is the Capital Bagel Bakery in the Bradlee Shopping Center in Alexandria (3610 King Street). Same style as the Georgetown bagel; not overgrown like the Brooklyn Bagel Bakery nor anemic and lacking in flavor like the Chesapeake Bagel Bakery.

Calvert-Woodly does the same but it's a mockery of the real thing.

You have a point. I'm not sure why, but the few times I've bought H&H bagels at Calvert-Woodley, they've been kind of hard. Not very good at all. I love Calvert-Woodley for wine and cheese, but I won't buy bagels there any more. Have yet to find a decent NY bagel here in DC.

It's all about Bethesda Bagels. This morning I Had one for the first time since moving back in at AU for the year, and it was delicious. The line was out the door, but well worth the wait. Plus I see they have a new cream cheese up for grabs: caramelized onion with black pepper, definitely gonna give it a try next time.

Anyone have any suggestions for COOKING as opposed to buying bagels? Is there any difference between bagels and bread other than the boiling before baking part? Different dough ratio? Longer/shorter proofing?

Don't wing it. First effort: use Peter Reinhart's thorough recipe which I've seen online (also in The Bread Apprentice). You can find the malt you'll need at Whole Foods. He also recommends a spray can of canola.

I love and often miss living in DC but right now the yeasty smell of bagel baking is wafting up from H&H (down the block) and through my open window. Point to NYC...

Lucky you...

Quick question: do you like H&H bagels better than Absolute or Ess-a-Bagels? I like H&H bagels and think Ess-a-Bagels are pretty good. Have yet to try Absolute Bagels. Thanks.

Don't wing it. First effort: use Peter Reinhart's thorough recipe which I've seen online (also in The Bread Apprentice). You can find the malt you'll need at Whole Foods. He also recommends a spray can of canola.

7.75 cups of flour to 2.5 cups of water? (852g : 591g)

That's 70%. Do all bagels use such wet doughs?

I'm pretty sure they do, frankly; my grandmother used to complain about it and that's why she refused to make them after a while. To the extent that she wouldn't give us the recipe card (a first) and so I can't share if it's the same.

3478715432_6dc5002465.jpg

OVEN SPRING: (n) Describes the phase during baking when the bread dough rapidly expands during the first few minutes of baking.

See also: the reason my homemade bagels look like puckered anuses.

They're delicious, by the by.

LOL re: the (accurate) description of your homemade bagels. :rolleyes:

I second the using of Reinhart's recipe, they are clear and have never failed me when trying something new. I have clearly been making too much focaccia and such as 70% doesn't sound like a wet dough to me at all. :rolleyes:

Bodo's Bagels in Charlottesville, Virginia offers a good product for those of you passing through the area wanting a good bagel. http://bodosbagels.com/

My in-laws in Charlottesville always go get fresh bagels for us when we are there from Bodo's, I really like them, but I probably haven't had any of the big heavyweight NY bagel names. But there is nothing better than warm and fresh.

I made my first batch of bagels for brunch this morning. I used a recipe from the internet that used my bread machine to make the dough, then I boiled them on my stove and baked them in the oven. They were markedly better than any bagel I have ever purchased in the Washington DC metro area. That didn't surprise me, because the half-life of a fresh bagel is about 30 minutes. What did surprise me is that they are now, 8 hours later, still significantly better than any bagel I have ever purchased in the Washington DC metro area. What gives? Why can nobody here make a decent bagel? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

In case you were curious, the recipe:

BREAD MACHINE BAGELS

Ingredients

1 cup warm water

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

2 tablespoons white sugar

3 cups bread flour

1 package active dry yeast

large pot of boiling water

cornmeal

egg white

Directions

1. Place water, salt, sugar, flour and yeast in the bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select "Bagel Dough" setting.

2. When cycle is complete, let dough rest on a lightly floured surface. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil.

3. Cut dough into 8 equal pieces, and roll each piece into a small ball. Flatten balls. Poke a hole in the middle of each with your thumb. Twirl the dough on your finger or thumb to enlarge the hole, and to even out the dough around the hole. Cover bagels with a clean cloth, and let rest for 5-10 minutes.

4. Sprinkle an ungreased baking sheet with cornmeal. Carefully transfer bagels to boiling water. Boil for 2 minutes, turning half way through. Drain briefly on clean towel. Arrange boiled bagels on baking sheet. Glaze tops with egg white, and sprinkle with your choice of toppings.

5. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 25 minutes, or until well browned.

Topping

1 tablespoon poppy seeds

1 tablespoon sesame seeds

1 tablespoon dried garlic flakes

1 tablespoon dried onion flakes

1 tablespoon kosher salt

This recipe is foolproof. I know this, because I am a fool.

• Like 1

Didn't see them mentioned above...

Since I live in Arlington, Brooklyn Bagel is a decent option. But, having grown up in Brooklyn,  Bullfrog Bagels on H St. are the only acceptable "gifting" bagels in my repertoire (as in, the only ones I'll bring into the office for others). Ignore me if this is all obvious: they're located in a side operation within Star & Shamrock, and thusly keep limited hours (7am-1pm). But they have a convenient online ordering system on the website so you can make pickup super quick. Decent breakfast sandwiches, and highly recommend the jalapeno cream cheese.