Homemade Wine

"Prison's not so bad. You can make sangria in the terlet. Of course, it's shank or be shanked." --Rusty, The Janitor

Edited for: Wow, "Steve, Don't Eat It" updated?! I love that guy!

Edited by shogun

Any other home winemakers out there? I've been making my own wine for a couple of years with pretty good results & wanted to seek out others with the same hobby/obsession/addiction... It would be great to share tips/techniques and, of course, samples! Feel free to email or post if interested.

Cheers!

On 7/8/2005 at 9:27 AM, bigpinot said:

Any other home winemakers out there? I've been making my own wine for a couple of years with pretty good results & wanted to seek out others with the same hobby/obsession/addiction... It would be great to share tips/techniques and, of course, samples! Feel free to email or post if interested.

Cheers!

I have never tried this. I have had some other home made wines from grapes sourced from CA, but honestly, stuff never quite goes right when the fruit takes that long to be shipped. Not a fan generally, and prefer to let the experts do their thing.

I do remember fondly helping out as a volunteer for a few afternoons at Serpent Ridge in MD and learned a lot. Maybe when I retire some day I can use those skills in a hobby vineyard.

My grandmother used to make both dandelion and blackberry wine. We used to sneak in and drink it when we were kids. I remember the blackberry as being Kool-Aid like and the dandelion tasting strongly of something i did not like (alcohol) at the age of 10.

I would really like to learn how to make homemade wine.  (It's part of my, I want to retire in Croatia learning necessities along with learning to make cheese, grow olives and learning the language, of course.)  If anyone out there would like an apprentice let me know.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

I would really like to learn how to make homemade wine.  (It's part of my, I want to retire in Croatia learning necessities along with learning to make cheese, grow olives and learning the language, of course.)  If anyone out there would like an apprentice let me know.  

Making cheese is great fun. Start easy and work your way up. Science at work!