Porcini Powder

zoramargolis

Yeah, that'll show 'em. :)

Wild mushrooms, with cream, thyme, sherry and brown chicken stock. Thinking about that might be enough to get my appetite back.

When I was last at Surfas chef supply store in L.A., I found a product I had not seen before: porcini powder, which is exactly what it sounds like: dried porcinis pulverized to a fine powder. I can add it to risottos, stews, soups, etc. to add some wonderful porcini flavor without having pieces of mushroom there that <he who doesn't think he is a picky eater> will bite into and complain about.

When I was last at Surfas chef supply store in L.A., I found a product I had not seen before: porcini powder, which is exactly what it sounds like: dried porcinis pulverized to a fine powder. I can add it to risottos, stews, soups, etc. to add some wonderful porcini flavor without having pieces of mushroom there that <he who doesn't think he is a picky eater> will bite into and complain about.
This is ingenious on the part of the porcini packer- all of the little bits that crumbled off in the packing process can be collected (or swept off floor :) ) and still be sold! Brilliant!

ETA: Zora, do you recall the price differential between the dried whole porcinis and the dust?

I got some as a gift from a chef friend once and it is great stuff. Try adding it to the flour when making pasta, wonderful!

ETA: Lot of shroom powder here, but I have no experience with this vendor.

I actually make my own porcini powder from the dregs of the bags of them that I get. Honestly, when that is gone, I also sometimes used the bigger bits too. I have a whirly grinder I keep solely for spices and that is what I use to make my powder. It's great to coat a veal chop with this before grilled and then finishing with really excellent balsamico right before serving.

• Like 1

i love this stuff, add a bit to all sorts of pastas or stews when i want a bit of non-salty umami. and of course if i'm making anything with mushrooms, particularly a cream based sauce, it's great, i often find that the mushrooms don't flavor the sauce as much as i'd like, and this helps. i bought mine on amazon, it wasn't very expensive at all. 

• Like 1

Please be aware that porcini allegies exist!  My husband gets horrible stomach cramps and chills for a 4-6 hour period after eating porcini.  We always confirm that "mushroom" listed on a menu does not include them, but should you use this powder in a dish served to others, please do mention it in the dish description!  

• Like 1