Ice Cream Machines

wahoooob

Okay, so as someone living in an small apartment, hand crack/rock salt/ice isn't too practical for me.

Does anyone have any good reccomendations for a good ice cream/gelato machine?

I have the Cuisinart, click, and I like the results. Just need to keep the bowl in the freezer.

I have the Cuisinart Flavor Duo ice cream maker and have always been happy with the results I get from the machine. I keep the two bowls in the freezer and store the machine in a cabinet when not in use. With the two bowls I can make double batches or two flavors at the same time.

Does anyone have tips on making fresh mint ice creams? I have some spearmint and pineapple mint in the garden that I would love to make into ice cream. I did a quick web search on epicurious, but most recipes call for extracts rather than fresh leaves. I'm interested in tips on infusing the mint flavor without getting a grassy or bitter taste.

Okay, so as someone living in an small apartment, hand crack/rock salt/ice isn't too practical for me.

Does anyone have any good reccomendations for a good ice cream/gelato machine?

If money is no object, then this. Otherwise, I have that same Cuisinart ICE 20 that most people do (sometimes you'll see refurbished ones for as low as $25). I've made a lot of ice creams and sorbets with that Cuisinart. I'm not always that pleased with the results, though. I agree with the verdict of this article, that the Cuisinart 20 does a pretty poor job with French style ice cream (haven't tried a Philly style one). The results aren't inedible, by any means (I seem to be the only one that thinks there's anything wrong with them when I serve them to people), but they aren't ice cream perfection either. The best ice creams have been those where there is some ingredient that helps cut down on ice crystals (peanut butter, white chocolate, etc). Been trying a few tricks and tips to improve things lately, though, (it's getting out of hand-- I just got ahold of some stabilizer :) ). I'll post my results here (the peach-bourbon ice cream base is cooling in the fridge right now).

I have that same Cuisinart ICE 20 that most people do (sometimes you'll see refurbished ones for as low as $25). I've made a lot of ice creams and sorbets with that Cuisinart. I'm not always that pleased with the results, though.

That machine works a lot better for smaller batches - don't believe it when the lit says it makes up to 1 1/2 quarts. I make no more than half a quart at a time and it works fine.

Otherwise, I have that same Cuisinart ICE 20 that most people do ... The best ice creams have been those where there is some ingredient that helps cut down on ice crystals (peanut butter, white chocolate, etc).

I have the same one and have the same results - my go to is a White Chocolate Mint ice cream I got from a class at L' Academie. It's the only one that somes out right every time.

Any other recommendations in the middle ground between the not-recommended Cuisinart ($45) and the overkill Lello ($200)? I'm only looking to make like 1-2 quarts at a time, and I haven't made ice cream since I was a kid.

This dual-bowl Cuisinart ($72) looks like it might do the trick (two flavors at once!) but I'm wary of going Cuisinart if that other model is not recommended.

Or maybe the KitchenAid ice cream attachment ($72)? Would be nice to use an existing appliance and take up less space...

Any other recommendations in the middle ground between the not-recommended Cuisinart ($45) and the overkill Lello ($200)? I'm only looking to make like 1-2 quarts at a time, and I haven't made ice cream since I was a kid.

This dual-bowl Cuisinart ($72) looks like it might do the trick (two flavors at once!) but I'm wary of going Cuisinart if that other model is not recommended.

Or maybe the KitchenAid ice cream attachment ($72)? Would be nice to use an existing appliance and take up less space...

My Step-mother has the Cuisinart dual-bowl one and she loves it and makes really good ice creams from it (she had a walnut recently that was great). She likes the dual bowls because my Dad really likes ice cream and it allows her to switch it up a bit. She has only owned it for a few months now, but has used it consistently and it has worked very well.

We ended up getting the KitchenAid ice cream maker to use with the mixer. I recall using it 5 or 6 times resulting in some tasty soft style ice creams. However it ended up next to the bread maker. :lol:

I have "gelato by lello" and love it, although I have had it for so many years now that I am sure there is a new model out. We use it regularly. It does take up space, and was a big investment, but we use it a LOT more than we would use one that required freezer space.

Oh, and my favorite ice cream recipe book is "The Perfect Scoop" by David Lebovitz. He has a (now dated, but still useful) post about ice cream makers here.

On 5/12/2017 at 3:55 PM, saf said:

I have "gelato by lello" and love it, although I have had it for so many years now that I am sure there is a new model out. We use it regularly. It does take up space, and was a big investment, but we use it a LOT more than we would use one that required freezer space.

Oh, and my favorite ice cream recipe book is "The Perfect Scoop" by David Lebovitz. He has a (now dated, but still useful) post about ice cream makers here.

I have one of those as well.  I think it was my 40th birthday present to myself.  It is starting to yellow with age but continues to work the few times a year we call upon it.