Comet Ping-Pong - GM James Alfantis' Pizza and Ping-Pong on Connecticut Avenue in Upper NW

Hate to be negative about such a raved-about place, but it was a bit of a let-down. I might have a chance to go again around New Year's for lunch, so I'm willing to give them a second chance...but it's sort of a long haul to go for the off chance that they ease up on the salt. Has anyone had any success asking the kitchen to be easy on the salt?

Thank you for posting your honest experience. Sometimes, places just aren't to your liking, and people don't or are afraid to post that (see other thread). So kudos.

Funnily enough, I have only asked the kitchen at Chinese restaurants, and they do end up easing up on the salt. Asking never hurts, right?

Went to Comet Ping Pong last night for the first time. I'd heard a LOT of good things about this place (plus having a Living Social coupon didn't hurt!). Comet was packed as expected, indoors and out, even on a Wednesday. My friend and I shared two apps and two pizzas, with a couple half carafes of red wine. First of all, their hot wings blew me away. I almost didn't order them, as I consider myself to be a bit of a buffalo wing snob (I've been to Anchor Bar multiple times and use Anchor Bar sauce at home). But the waitress highly recommended them, so I gave them a shot. The flavor was dark and smoky, unlike anything I'd ever had on a wing. They also came with a creamy horseradish dipping sauce which complemented them really well. I'd come back just for those! Our other app, the wood-roasted cauliflower, was surprisingly good as well. My first thought was "Who puts a cauliflower appetizer on the menu at a pizza place?" I'd recently discovered that roasting cauliflower is the only way I like it, and their cauliflower was the best I've ever had.

On to the pizza. My friend ordered the Stanley, and added garlic. I ordered a simple cheese and pepperoni pizza. At first glance, their pizzas don't look like much. They're smallish and have a kind of greasy appearance. But once you taste it, you finally realize that everything Don has been saying is true. Even my friend noted that my simpler pizza was better because it allowed the basic ingredients to shine. I don't think I've ever been this impressed by a pizza and wings combo. Not to mention that the place has more character than fifty other restaurants put together.

If I didn't live in old town Alexandria, I would come here all the time. Nevertheless, I will return as soon as possible.

James

Comet Ping-Pong reminds me of a former straight-A honor student that has figured out exactly how much effort to put out in order to get "good" grades. I had a late lunch here yesterday, and ordered a bloody mary and The Smoky (smoked bacon, smoked mushrooms, melted onions, smoked mozz, garlic). This was a favorite once upon a time, but I wouldn't order it again based on yesterday's pie. Heavy toppings with thick doughy outer crust, stretched too thin in the middle and sodden with oil. The quality of the ingredients is still there, but the execution is lacking.

As my high-school guidance counselor used to say, "you're just not achieving to your potential."

(A downloadable PDF menu? I'm sorry, but that's going down on your permanent record.)

• Like 1

Second Heather's assessment, based on dinner last week. The duck salami pizza was just ok, with that doughy outer crust, and covered with a mountain of greens.

The salad was nicely dressed, though, and the wings remain a standout. I'd go back for beer and wings, but the pizza is not worth the trip at this point.

6 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Comet used to bottle their own tomato sauce at Toigo Orchards, and they still may be - it was Carole Greenwood who started this (there are pictures of this on her chat), and they still may be using Toigo - I suspect they were using Toigo's surplus of non-perfect-looking tomatoes in order to make this wonderfully fresh sauce. . . Folks, please don't forget that these other surrounding businesses took a hit as well - please throw your support their way if you're in the area; Comet is doing just fine!

Little Red Fox next-door sells the Comet Ping Pong tomato sauce in glass jars, I am sure it is on the label . . . will check it out.  

17 hours ago, DaveO said:

Big big crowd tonight.  Too crowded. Going elsewhere

You unknowingly walked into a shitstorm - this weekend is #StandWithComet.

A lot of well-meaning folks (including me) may want to rush over to support Comet, but believe me, they don't need your support right now - they are *packed*. 

I think it would be better to support neighboring businesses who may still be hurting; Comet is busier now than I've ever seen it (and, to be perfectly honest, not as good as it was when Carole Greenwood was in charge of the food, although it's still good).

Better still would be to support businesses close to you who sit empty, night-after-night, even though they're putting out a good product.

"Patrons Use Dough To Back Pizza Place Targeted by Fake News" by Jessica Gresko on abcnews.go.com

On 12/8/2016 at 5:51 AM, DonRocks said:

Comet used to bottle their own tomato sauce at Toigo Orchards, and they still may be - it was Carole Greenwood who started this (there are pictures of this on her chat), and they still may be using Toigo - I suspect they were using Toigo's surplus of non-perfect-looking tomatoes in order to make this wonderfully fresh sauce. . . Folks, please don't forget that these other surrounding businesses took a hit as well - please throw your support their way if you're in the area; Comet is doing just fine!

The tomato sauce is still made with Toigo tomatoes, you can buy jars of the sauce at Little Red Fox, and perhaps at Comet directly.  

• Like 1