Comet Ping-Pong - GM James Alfantis' Pizza and Ping-Pong on Connecticut Avenue in Upper NW

Anybody know what that rumoured pizza place thing was about? Can't think of any "popular" joints on Connecticut that have an empty space next door, except maybe Dino, and I figured it's a little early to start speculating about Dean's second location considering his first one has been open exactly a week.

Carole Greenwood is opening up a New Haven style pizza place next to Buck's! Maybe the "he" Sietsema is referring to is James Alefantis (co-owner of Buck's).

One site explains that the crust on a New Haven pizza is a little thicker and doughier than New York style.  Additionally, there sauce/cheese ratio is more heavily focused on the tomatoes than the mozzarella.  Lastly, New Haven places seemed to leave the pies in long enough that the oil separated from the cheese, rose to the top of the pie, and almost seemed to "fry" the mozzarella, giving it a mottled golden-brown color

To be real honest - that actually sounds a little nasty to me. :P

Details people, I need details!!!!!  This is potentially life changing (my life anyway :P )

I think it's supposed to be open by fall. More casual than Buck's. White Clam Pizza will be on the menu. Wish I had more details!

Carole Greenwood is opening up a New Haven style pizza place next to Buck's! Maybe the "he" Sietsema is referring to is James Alefantis (co-owner of Buck's).

This makes more sense... I can't think of a space next to Palena and doubt someone is moving into the old Bricks so quickly.

I've never had the style myself, but whenever I read or hear Jeffrey Steingarten on New Haven Pizza, it seems to me the 'za equivalent of an orgasm. In every bite.

I once lived only a half hour away from New Haven in Waterbury and the idea of this place gets me really excited. I can still remember what the pizza tasted like. I always preferred it to NY-style pizza, which has a tendency to have a weak crust and be overly greasy. Does anyone have info on the when it might open???

Grease is good!! I give NY pizza two paper towels myself!! Last time I got a real good one, I was at my brother -in-law's outside of NY, in Fairhaven NJ. Holy crap, I couldn't contain myself!!

I'm with you. I'm going to be in NY tomorrow on a last minute trip and I have already told my mom we will be having pizza for lunch. And maybe Friday too.

I'm with you.  I'm going to be in NY tomorrow on a last minute trip and I have already told my mom we will be having pizza for lunch.  And maybe Friday too.

Ten minutes after the train pulls out of Manhattan, I always wish I had an extra slice or two. :-)

Ten minutes after the train pulls out of Manhattan, I always wish I had an extra slice or two. :-)

And a box of rainbow cookies. And a pastrami sandwich.

I keep telling my parents that they are welcome to come visit me anytime as long as they find a way to bring me a pizza.

Grease is good!! I give NY pizza two paper towels myself!! Last time I got a real good one, I was at my brother -in-law's outside of NY, in Fairhaven NJ. Holy crap, I couldn't contain myself!!

You must have been at Umberto's , he's a surly guy and he makes a mean pie.

His pizza has just the right saltiness, it's crispy, greasy and very good. I grew up in Fair Haven, NJ eating that pizza a few times a week. The great thing about NY and New Haven Pizza is that it is usually available by the slice. DC lacks that big time. Cappucino's in GTown is the only place that I know of that sells slices- and it's not very good.

His pizza has just the right saltiness, it's crispy, greasy and very good.  I grew up in Fair Haven, NJ eating that pizza a few times a week.  The great thing about NY and New Haven Pizza is that it is usually available by the slice.  DC lacks that big time.  Cappucino's in GTown is the only place that I know of that sells slices- and it's not very good.

The burnt out Alberto's used to sell slices. Axe Rocks.

It's Connecticut, so it's upper-crusty.  :P   :wub:

Joe H where are you when we need you??? I am sure that Joe H has gone on a long road trip to eat New Haven pizza. What's the name of that famous place Joe H??? The name isn't "Franks" but it's something like that. The pizza there is top notch. Many national magazines have written about New Haven pizza. I lived in New Haven for almost 2 years and ate lot's of good pizza.

His pizza has just the right saltiness, it's crispy, greasy and very good.  I grew up in Fair Haven, NJ eating that pizza a few times a week.  The great thing about NY and New Haven Pizza is that it is usually available by the slice.  DC lacks that big time.  Cappucino's in GTown is the only place that I know of that sells slices- and it's not very good.

My bro in law picked it up in town, so I'm not familiar with the name of the pizza place, but I'm sure you're right on if it's the best pie in town. It was rectangular also, that stood out. BTW Fair Haven is beautiful. They have a house on the water, just gorgeous.

Edited by monavano

I found out today that it is going to be a while before we get to indulge in any ping pong pizza. My source tells me that it's going to be "very low-brow" and that we shouldn't expect to see anything soon. That gives everyone plenty of time to sharpen their paddle skills.

I am curious that when it opens will people be able to order the pizza with the toppings that they want or will they have to eat the pizza the way Greenwood envisions it should be?

LOL! This reminds me of commercial from 10-15 years ago for chef boyardee pizza at home, in which one of the virtues they touted was that you got the pizza with the toppings *you* like. I always wondered who ordered pizza with toppings other than the ones they wanted!

I am curious that when it opens will people be able to order the pizza with the toppings that they want or will they have to eat the pizza the way Greenwood envisions it should be?

And anyone who mentions 2 Amys will get chucked out the front door like a drunkard being ejected from a saloon...

No idea but I have to drive past tonight and will check.  Didn't notice anything when I drove past last week but I may not have been looking!

Please do! As someone who lives up there and is dying for some more options! (I am waiting with baited breath for Indique Heights and Sushi Ko to open in Friendship Heights.)

I just took a walk over to where the pizzeria will be. It is definitely not open yet.

The old Thai Room sign is still up, as is the hand written note letting it's customers know it was closing.

The windows were covered with brown paper. I couldn't tell if anything was going on since it is dark outside and in.

There won't be any New Haven pizza for dinner tonight.

Did the same mission myself tonight.  I think there was some wishful thinking as folks whizzed by and caught a view of the forgettable storefront delivery joint immediately next to Buck's. 

whoops. My bad. Although i wouldn't call it wishful thinking (it was simply a mistake), I took the forgettable storefront delivery joint for Bucks' venture. sorry.

From today's The List:

Comet Pizza: This offshoot of Buck's Fishing & Camping opens in July. Along with pizza, look for salads with local ingredients and more in a retro setting; visual highlight is a large neon sign from the long-gone Comet liquor store in Adams Morgan. (5037 Connecticut Avenue, NW)

visual highlight is a large neon sign from the long-gone Comet liquor store in Adams Morgan

Y'know, when I saw them taking that sign down piece by piece, I wondered where it was going. Now I know.

Comet's only been "long-gone" for a few months, though. I wonder if they decided on the name before or after the sign became available.

Comet's only been "long-gone" for a few months, though. I wonder if they decided on the name before or after the sign became available.

Carole decided on the name, and in fact the general concept, as a logical extension of her disdain for the dining public.

Instead of using this, they're going to use this.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Carole decided on the name, and in fact the general concept, as a logical extension of her disdain for the dining public.

Instead of using this, they're going to use this.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Good one, Rocks! :unsure: We actually inquired about buying the Comet sign when we saw that the liquor store was closing. The owners told us that they had had several offers already, starting in the $1000s. Now we know who ended up with it.