A Place At The Table, Rosslyn

Michael Landrum

Sundays only, beginning Sunday April 1, Ray's The Steaks will transform into A Place at the Table, a temporary format and temporary home for a new concept I've been working on.

Each Sunday will be dedicated to an organization which endeavors to improve the lot of under-served communities and which will receive the direct donation from the dinner service as descibed below. Three tiers of dining options are offered and in one way or another our full menu is available.

For more insight and information, check the Post tomorrow.

Thanks for everything,

Michael

Ray’s The Steaks presents:

A Place at the Table

$25 Per Person

Your Choice of:

Caesar Salad

Mixed Baby Field Greens With Balsamic Vinaigrette

Sherried Crab Bisque

Burgundian Onion Soup Au Gratin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

North Atlantic Salmon–Grilled, Spicy Diablo Style, or Blackened

Hanger Steak (Onglet)–The Richest, Most Intensely Flavored Cut

Entrecote–Lean End of The Rib; Ideal For Medium-Well and Well Done

Sirloin Diablo–Top Loin Grilled With Our Secret Chipotle Marinade, Garlic and Grilled Onions

Portobello Mushroom Caps–Balsamic Glaze or Spicy Diablo, with Broccoli, Grilled Onions and Aged Bleu Cheese

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dessert Selection

$30 Per Person

Choice of Soup or Salad As Above

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New York Strip

New York Strip With Brandy Mushroom Cream

New York Strip Au Poivre–Seared With A Cracked-Black Peppercorn Crust, With Port Wine-Peppercorn Sauce

The Black and Blue New Yorker–New York Strip Au Poivre With Aged Bleu Cheese Sauce

The House Special–New York Strip Au Poivre With Brandy Mushroom Cream, Topped With Bleu Crumbles

Rib-Eye With Horseradish Cream Or Blackened With Cajun Spices and Garlic

Filet Mignon With Brandy Mushroom Cream, Aged Bleu Cheese Sauce Or Bearnaise

Filet Mignon Au Poivre–Seared With A Cracked-Black Peppercorn Crust, With Port Wine Peppercorn Sauce

Chateaubriand For Two–With Mushrooms, Onions and Your Choice of Sauce;Rare, Medium Rare, or Medium Only

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dessert Selection

$35 Per Person

Choice of Soup or Salad As Above

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

20 Ounce Custom Cut New York Strip–Rare or Medium Rare Only

The Cowboy Cut–A 28 Ounce (At Least!) Bone-In Rib-Eye, With Grilled Onions and Horseradish Cream

Twelve Ounce Filet–Rare or Medium Rare Only

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dessert Selection

ADD ONS:

Cold-Smoked Norwegian Salmon–With Caviar, Capers, Cream Cheese and Red Onion......8.95

Blackened Jumbo Sea Scallops–Topped With Sauteed Garlic......8.95

Jumbo Scampi–Grilled with Wine, Garlic and Herbs, Spicy Diablo Style or Blackened.......8.95

Fresh Italian Buffalo Mozzarella and Garden Tomatoes, Fresh Basil, Field Greens, Balsamic Vinaigrette......7.50

Sauteed Mushrooms...4.00 Fresh Broccoli Crowns...5.00 Grilled Red Onions...3.00

$10 per person will be directly donated to announced charity. (No solicitations, please).

If no dessert is ordered, the donation will be $12.

You go Michael! Even though we have all know that you have always given back, maybe this will raise community awareness. For my husband and I, we consider it our duty to give back a percentage of what has been given to us. If every business and individual would give back even a miniscule amount like 1% of your net, (or gross), what a differance it would make.

I like the way your mind works. (that is scary :o )

Congrats, Michael, on getting there, and so quickly!

Probably a silly question, but will patrons of A Place at the Table (great name) be given the opportunity to donate additionally on top of the $10/$12?

TOTAL: $30

TIP: _________

ADD'L DONATION: __________

TOTAL: __________

Thanks for giving us all the chance to contribute through all these years!

Michael, two questions:

1. Will the regular RTS reservation policy (put your name down when doors open for later table) be in effect for "A Place at the Table", or will you modify it in some way?
  2. Do entrees on Sundays still come with mashed and spinach? I didn't see them itemized on the a la carte sides list.

Michael, two questions:
  1. Will the regular RTS reservation policy (put your name down when doors open for later table) be in effect for "A Place at the Table", or will you modify it in some way?
  2. Do entrees on Sundays still come with mashed and spinach? I didn't see them itemized on the a la carte sides list.

Still no reservations, but people can put their name on the list starting at 4, when we guarantee that someone will be there, or stop by sooner if you don't mind taking the chance that either Danielle or I will be out on errands.

Mashed potatoes and creamed spinach forever!

The blurb in the Post talks about meals that will be priced at $15 or less. Doesn't seem to correspond with the prices for aPatT listed above. Did the Post make a mistake?

I expect the Post is talking about the prices once RTS has moved into its new digs and APAT is running full time in the RTS space. Meanwhile, Michael is gearing up with the Sunday thing.

I think...

Jennifer

Basic question: What is "Memphis style." Ribs with everything? Souther/soul food? Sun records greatest hits on the juke?

Or is that just a different phrase for the old "blue plate special?"

First, kudos to Michael on this very special occassion. What a great mitzvah!

Second, Memphis style "meat & three" generally consists of your choice of one meat and any three sides chosen from a list of "seasonal" veggies. For example, you might choose meatloaf and mac & cheese, candied yams and mashed potatoes as your meat & three. The veggies are generally cooked with pork of some kind unless of course it is a new fangled meat & three that is "vegeterian." The meats change daily while the veggie selection may be the same for days on end.

Another bonus of Memphis "meat & three" are the breads that are served: savory cornbread, dinner rolls and white bread. Tea is sweet unless you ask for unsweetened tea!

Oh, I don't recall that the meat is ever actual Memphis BBQ--> more like meatloaf, fried chicken, broiled chicken, pork chops...

Hmm... think I know where I want to go to lunch today!

What a great concept! For those that are interested, Heros Inc. was the charity chosen for tonight's donation.

I was most amazed at watching the staff turn the place into a restaurant in a flash after the butchering instruction, which BTW was great fun. Keep watch in the other thread for pictures.

I am wondering if you are looking for organizations to support with this or if you already have them lined up. I know a GREAT organization start at GWU this past summer, it deals with Darfuri students and I'm not sure if you are only looking for organizations that support this area. If not, Im sure the GWU group (BAANA www.baana.org) would love to raise awareness and funds as Trachtenberg who "supports" the program hasnt supported them at all.

I am wondering if you are looking for organizations to support with this or if you already have them lined up. I know a GREAT organization start at GWU this past summer, it deals with Darfuri students and I'm not sure if you are only looking for organizations that support this area. If not, Im sure the GWU group (BAANA www.baana.org) would love to raise awareness and funds as Trachtenberg who "supports" the program hasnt supported them at all.

[No doubt this is a fine organization, but I think suggestions for charities are probably best sent to Michael via PM or email. (I'll leave this up for a few hours because I don't want to appear a grinch.)]

[No doubt this is a fine organization, but I think suggestions for charities are probably best sent to Michael via PM or email. (I'll leave this up for a few hours because I don't want to appear a grinch.)]

I think Michael also said he didn't want to be solicited at all.

I think Michael also said he didn't want to be solicited at all.
It seemed unclear as to which part he was talking about. That said, I offered if he was willing to do a charity for me that I'd match him dollar for dollar and he never replied, so I'll assume it's both.

1 Giant, perfectly cooked NY strip with mushrooms, brandy cream, and bleu cheese

+

1 Deeply beefy hangar steak

+

6 slices of smoked salmon with caviar, red onions, capers, cream cheese, and nicely textured toasts

+

1 White chocolate mousse

+

1 Caramelized pecan chocolate cake

+

1 Glass Rock Rabbit Syrah

+

1 Bowl of crab bisque

+

1 Bowl of insanely toasty and hearthy onion soup

+

Tax

+

Tip

=

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

$93.33

/

Two people

/

Leftovers

=

$23.33 per meal per person

+

Metaphor

=

Culinary equivalent of a gorgeous woman inviting you up to her place when all you did was hold the door for her.

This really is the best deal in town. If you have room in your belly, I highly recommend the salmon. The chocolate pecan cake was really good, too, although Danielle says it's made off-site and they only have it on Sundays because they have so many dessert covers. It's no key lime pie, though.

My wife volunteers for the Reading Connection* and the work is at a transitional housing location very close to Ray's the Steaks East River. She has coordinated with Michael Landrum for a Sunday "A Place At the Table" donation to be to this organization. The date is Sunday, September 12th at the East River location and 25% of proceeds on the bistro special will be donated to the Reading Connection. Whether you have wanted to go or try it again this would be a great time to do so.

*The Reading Connection (www.thereadingconnection.org) is a nonprofit organization that promotes literacy to kids in transitional housing through a read-aloud program. The Reading Connection is dedicated to improving the lives of at-risk children and families by helping them create and sustain literacy-rich environments and motivation for reading. The Reading Connection staff and volunteers read to children in local shelters and community centers each week; work with parents and family members to promote reading and literacy development; and provide free books to children.

My wife volunteers for the Reading Connection* and the work is at a transitional housing location very close to Ray's the Steaks East River. She has coordinated with Michael Landrum for a Sunday "A Place At the Table" donation to be to this organization. The date is Sunday, September 12th at the East River location and 25% of proceeds on the bistro special will be donated to the Reading Connection. Whether you have wanted to go or try it again this would be a great time to do so.

*The Reading Connection (www.thereadingconnection.org) is a nonprofit organization that promotes literacy to kids in transitional housing through a read-aloud program. The Reading Connection is dedicated to improving the lives of at-risk children and families by helping them create and sustain literacy-rich environments and motivation for reading. The Reading Connection staff and volunteers read to children in local shelters and community centers each week; work with parents and family members to promote reading and literacy development; and provide free books to children.

Bump.