Special Occasion Meals in Baltimore

So this Monday my SO and I are heading up to Baltimore to wander around for a day & celebrate 5 years together. Looking for a place to have dinner - it can be romantic or not, fancy or not, doesn't matter - we're just looking for amazing and innovative food. So far I've narrowed it down to Pazo and Charleston. Anyone want to pick for me? :o

I've read both threads and can't really compare the two from what's posted - they seem really different, but which has better food? And Pazo sounds kind of like a club - is it? I'd also welcome any other suggestions.

I realize it's last minute. But thanks for your help!

Carolyn

Interesting that you picked out two of Cindy Wolf's restaurants. Pazo's atmosphere is more noisy, club-like. Charleston is more quiet, more upscale. If I wanted to go somewhere for a five-year occasion, I'd go to Charleston. More focus on seasonal menus and the like. Since you seem to be into these Cindy Wolf-type restaurants, Petit Louis Bistro is also quite nice.

I'd opt for Charleston over Pazo in a heartbeat, though if you're considering restaurants with as diverse atmospheres as Charleston and Pazo (even though they've got the same owner, as Jamie points out), you should consider Sotta Sopra in Baltimore's Mount Vernon district. I had dinner there last night and was quite impressed by the food preparation, the deft seasoning, and the quality of the ingredients (though the service was a tad off, perhaps owing to the fact that I showed up toward the end of the pre-theater rush). Tried the osso bucco, the veal agnolotti, the crab gnocchi, the beet salad, the duck confit salad, the ricotta cheesecake, the arugula salad, blood orange sorbet, and the giandula pot de creme -- very, very good, all of it. Happy to describe in more detail if you'd like to PM me.

Michael

I didn't say that it was, Joe. But then again, neither is Pazo, which Carolyn said she was also considering, among others. And I'd personally prefer Sotta Sopra over Pazo. Do you have any suggestions to offer her?

Sotta Sopra isn't in the same league as Charleston, Baltimore's best restaurant.