• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So just use the initials: G-SPOT.
I think I just hurt myself laughing.

I look forward to seeing the menu. Wonder if I could get onions rings instead of fries... :o The location should be great as there is a whole lot of nothin' in that area of Silver Spring.

This is excellent news!! This is less than a 2 minute walk from my house. FINALLY - a place to get a bite and I don't have to get in the stinking car. I am really looking forward to this.

Oh come on. You know you're just happy there's a bar you can stumble home from :o

"So, you guys want to hit up the G-SPOT tonight?"

Oh come on. You know you're just happy there's a bar you can stumble home from :lol:
You are wise beyond your years. :o

I'm going to drop by this afternoon and see what stage they're at. I'm hoping to see a beer/liquor application notice on the door.

This is terrific news. We live literally around the corner, just off Capital View. We can walk through the woods and be there. We've seen other businesses come and go in that building--a few years ago there was a little restaurant/general store that had a decent Sunday brunch. Several fires resulted in the county condemning the building for a time, but we've been watching with interest as the building has been spiffed up and restored.

I've been wanting to try Colorado Kitchen for some time. This could be the neighborhood gathering spot that we've needed for a long time.

I went by earlier today. There are two buildings - the larger white "Castle at Forest Glen" which appears to still be for rent and occupied. Next to it is the smaller "General Store". MUCH SMALLER. There was construction work going inside when I went by. Broken windows, and lots of wood being assembled. In other words, a long way away from being any kind of business.

Of course, now that the cat's out of the bag, maybe the proprietor(ess??) could give us an update?? :o My neighbours were very excited when I told them the news this afternoon.

Crackers, the building is on the corner of Forest Glen and Capitol View. If you face the structure that include the castle, the General Store is on the right. The front door faces Forest Glen, but there is also a side porch facing Capitol View and back porch, as well as a downstairs space. Once you are in the building, there is a surprising amount of room. Just behind that building is a refurbished canary-yellow house that sits at the bend of Capitol View. That's a landmark you can't miss.

When I first moved to the neighborhood fourteen years ago, someone had just opened a restaurant that served a full menu, mostly comfort food like meatloaf, etc. It was really quite good, but business was always slow and the place eventually went under. (In fact, I even talked about waiting tables part-time there until I could find a full-time job, but the restaurant closed before I had a chance to tie on an apron.) The front of the building--the General Store--remained open for a few years and there was even a Sunday brunch buffet that many in the neighborhood liked. But the place proved to be a firetrap and it was eventually closed.

There's a small parking lot in front of the building and an even smaller one on the Capitol View side, the latter having room for maybe four or five cars. If the restaurant gets popular, parking could be an issue.

Is it the building to the right or to the left of the castle in this map?
Right you are! And as JeffC points out, this is much larger than it looks like from the front. My mistake! So this must be the building that will house the G-SPOT.

A new townhouse complex is being built across the beltway at the old seminary site. This is going to add greatly to the number of potential customers. I can see this place getting REAL busy!

I live right around the corner too and would love to see this happen but beware. I wanted to open something in this spot but aside from being under-capitalized (the main issue for me) the county is a big problem. Codes, zoning, historic district, fire hazard (at least two that I know of) and basement ceilings that are very low. However it’s a VERY cool space, open back porch and a great location off the beaten path near the railroad tracks, kind of like the old Garret Park Café. I hope Ms. Clark can make this work away from the chain hell that is downtown Silver Spring.

"General Store and Post Office Tavern" is one of the worst restaurant names I've ever heard.

Gee, The Hersch (which is a great name by the way). Sorry I didn't consult you first. The actual name is "The General Store at Forest Glen". We came up with this genius idea because the place was--guess--A GENERAL STORE. It also served as a post office. We have some of the original furniture from the post office days that we are going to use in the space.

Gosh, I am stunned at how quickly folks on DR.com love to take it out and take a whiz on stuff just for general purposes. I frankly see nothing wrong with the name. I guess we could have called it Popeyes or Quiznos but those are taken. When you name a business in Montgomery County you have to do your research and name it something that no one is using (active). We plan on using the name in making it very general store like.

I guess if the name really kills your appetite you can eat at the Woodside Deli or Kirsten's or Armands. The place is a general store. Shucks it was built somewhere around 1898. We are trying to keep it as original as possible. We're doing this to a bulding in a historic area and trying to fit in with the history of the neighborhood and the place. Doing this and meeting codes is challenging. But we have a great team of people working on it and the landlord has done a great job on the outside.

I majored in English in college but I could well have majored in history. I'm fascinated by it and am glad that Robin is with me on this. We could have changed the whole thing inside and made it glitzy and flashy. But we are taking the time to get the right stuff in there to make it feel like a general store. It is somewhat of a process for us and we enjoy doing this kind of thing. You won't find us in a strip mall or anything like that. We seek out the places with character and breathe life into them. The space on Colorado Avenue, complete with restored tin ceiling and vintage advertising, was built in 1903.

I guess there is no way you could have known what we are about. If you've never been to CK then you have no idea of the kind of work we do. Something that I would like to continue to do. I hate when people are critical of silly things like the name. Criticize my use of buttermilk or that I don't serve enough vegetarian items. But to go after the name of my store--sheesh that is petty. I think it is a fine name. This reminds me of when we put the sign up in the window on Colorado Avenue. I had someone tell me that if I'm going to name my restuarant Colorado Kitchen I'd better be serving neck bones. After all, what did Juliet say "would a rose not smell as sweet?"

We're really excited about The General Store. And agreeing on the name (pretty much just tweeking the name that is already on there) was part of that. Naming a place and making it official is like turning on a switch. So much stems from that. It's the first building block for a lot of things, a lot of ideas. We've decided on furniture and paint colors--these are milestones.

Can we all just be positive and stop using this web site to beat up on folks that are trying to do cool things? It takes a lot of energy and money to make a place and even more to make it work. But it sure is easy to sit back behind a computer screen and throw stones. All of us on this site that are in the business appreciate the enthusiasm but would also like some understanding. Before you start shaking your fists about someones name or that someone has run out of fried chicken or a cut of steak, recognize what goes into it. I may run out of something because I got shorted on my delivery. Maybe a prep cook didn't show up or the dishwasher and while washing dishes I burnt it.

I had a couple send me an angry email because they waited for Sunday Brunch to start and it was 11:05. How dare I make them wait another five minutes. They had been out there since 10:30. Well, when I apologized and said that I had been lifting a hot pot full of potatoes off of the stove and tore my thumb nail off. I needed five extra minutes to wrap the nail back on with tape and plastic wrap. They were kind enough to write me back and say, "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen."

It's really easy to pick on us and complain. We've had other things to worry about and glad that the name was in stone with the county and the IRS and that we had a Fed ID number, phew. But it took months for the plans to be finalized and now we have to wait and twiddle our thumbs waiting for inspections. Is the plumber going to actually show up today or is he a no show and I'm paying rent on a building that is still months from being finished.

So whatever, Hersh. Too bad if you don't like the name. You probably won't like the food either or the wine or the beer or anything. Thanks for giving me this opportunity to vent. Its been a long week.

Chef Clark, I hope next week goes better for you. :blink:

"General Store and Post Office Tavern" was what the Post said the name was. It did sound like a huge mouthful of a name, which is probably all that The Hersch meant. But you have to admit, it makes for a very catchy acronym! "General Store" will be easier to remember and say, but not nearly as much fun.

Will there be a "Tavern" component, or did the Post get that wrong too?

Well, Chef Clark, I hope you read the part about some of us being VERY excited about your new venture. Our house was built about the same time, so I'm guessing the original builder got his mail and goods at your restaurant-to-be. Our house was originally a farm house in the middle of nowhere and is still surrounded by a hardwood forest.. We love the neighborhood and hope to be here for a long time.....and hope you will be, as well.

This is a pretty long thread about a restaurant-yet-to-open, so I think you'll be very happy to see what happens when you finally open your doors. You've chosen a prime location, in a neighborhood starved--literally--for a good local place to go for a drink and something good to eat. And that development at the old Academy is going to bring a huge number of people to our once quiet little burg.

You can believe that people are truly excited about your new venture...

After all, what did Juliet say "would a rose not smell as sweet?"

Actually, she didn't!

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet;"

Long ago, I was in a really baaad film based on the play - Toolio and Harlot. This is one of the ones that I'm not so proud of. In fact it was towards the end of my career, when I was being consistently mocked by my starlets, and this girl had the unmitigated gall to say "What's in a ruler? That which rose, by any other measure would look as small." I remember storming off the set and having a cup of coffee.

Actually, she didn't!

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet;"

Long ago, I was in a really baaad film based on the play - Toolio and Harlot. This is one of the ones that I'm not so proud of. In fact it was towards the end of my career, when I was being consistently mocked by my starlets, and this girl had the unmitigated gall to say "What's in a ruler? That which rose, by any other measure would look as small." I remember storming off the set and having a cup of coffee.

Actually Juliet said, "Don Rocks is an Ass. If only a point were a rock twould hit him in the head and we'd hope he'd get it."

Yes I have read all of the positive comments and thank you. When Robin and I drove up to that little house it stole our hearts. It has not been an easy year. It was a year ago that we saw it and decided that we'd take on the project. We came really close not long ago to dropping the whole thing. Landlord troubles, permit hassles, etc. But we've invested a great deal of energy. We don't expect anyone to call it The General Store at Forest Glen. Robin and I often just call it The Store. So many people head on over to the "Kitchen" we're told.

I believe when they were serving food there before it was called The Forest Glen General Store. The landlord has dug out the basement for us to increase the ceiling height so we do hope to have a prep kitchen downstairs as well as a really small beer and wine bar that will serve much of the same food as upstairs, but also late night snacks like pizza, and stuff I haven't thought of yet. Robin neglected to tell Tom that I'm putting a big old convection oven down there so she can spend her days making pies. They sell really well at the "Kitchen" so we will do a few at the Store.

Chef: Forgive me. Believe it or not, I was thoughtless, and it didn't even occur to me that there would be someone out there I would offend by my comment. "The General Store", especially with the background you give in your post, is a pretty good name. It's that "and Post Office Tavern" bit that kind of dragged it down. I wish you every success.

Personally, Hersch, I think you have nothing to apologize for. It is okay to like or respect a particular thing without liking the name that someone has attached to it. (And I don't think you expressed an opinion either way on this particular thing.) Why should a place's name be off-limits? Is decor off-limits too? Is location off-limits? Service? Are we out of bounds in commenting on anything other than food? Sure, you used strong language, but ... ahem ... opinions on this board are often stated strongly, and yours was not atypically strident.

Anyway, I don't think you deserve the response you got, and I think the apology should be flowing in the other direction.

Are we out of bounds in commenting on anything other than food?
Sometimes it seems we aren't allowed to comment on that either, at least not if the owner or chef has an account here.

I didn't think Hersch had anything to apologize for. This is a forum for opinions, and we know what everyone says about those.

Gee, The Hersch (which is a great name by the way). Sorry I didn't consult you first. The actual name is "The General Store at Forest Glen". We came up with this genius idea because the place was--guess--A GENERAL STORE. It also served as a post office. We have some of the original furniture from the post office days that we are going to use in the space.

Gosh, I am stunned at how quickly folks on DR.com love to take it out and take a whiz on stuff just for general purposes. I frankly see nothing wrong with the name. I guess we could have called it Popeyes or Quiznos but those are taken. When you name a business in Montgomery County you have to do your research and name it something that no one is using (active). We plan on using the name in making it very general store like.

I guess if the name really kills your appetite you can eat at the Woodside Deli or Kirsten's or Armands. The place is a general store. Shucks it was built somewhere around 1898. We are trying to keep it as original as possible. We're doing this to a bulding in a historic area and trying to fit in with the history of the neighborhood and the place. Doing this and meeting codes is challenging. But we have a great team of people working on it and the landlord has done a great job on the outside.

I majored in English in college but I could well have majored in history. I'm fascinated by it and am glad that Robin is with me on this. We could have changed the whole thing inside and made it glitzy and flashy. But we are taking the time to get the right stuff in there to make it feel like a general store. It is somewhat of a process for us and we enjoy doing this kind of thing. You won't find us in a strip mall or anything like that. We seek out the places with character and breathe life into them. The space on Colorado Avenue, complete with restored tin ceiling and vintage advertising, was built in 1903.

I guess there is no way you could have known what we are about. If you've never been to CK then you have no idea of the kind of work we do. Something that I would like to continue to do. I hate when people are critical of silly things like the name. Criticize my use of buttermilk or that I don't serve enough vegetarian items. But to go after the name of my store--sheesh that is petty. I think it is a fine name. This reminds me of when we put the sign up in the window on Colorado Avenue. I had someone tell me that if I'm going to name my restuarant Colorado Kitchen I'd better be serving neck bones. After all, what did Juliet say "would a rose not smell as sweet?"

We're really excited about The General Store. And agreeing on the name (pretty much just tweeking the name that is already on there) was part of that. Naming a place and making it official is like turning on a switch. So much stems from that. It's the first building block for a lot of things, a lot of ideas. We've decided on furniture and paint colors--these are milestones.

Can we all just be positive and stop using this web site to beat up on folks that are trying to do cool things? It takes a lot of energy and money to make a place and even more to make it work. But it sure is easy to sit back behind a computer screen and throw stones. All of us on this site that are in the business appreciate the enthusiasm but would also like some understanding. Before you start shaking your fists about someones name or that someone has run out of fried chicken or a cut of steak, recognize what goes into it. I may run out of something because I got shorted on my delivery. Maybe a prep cook didn't show up or the dishwasher and while washing dishes I burnt it.

I had a couple send me an angry email because they waited for Sunday Brunch to start and it was 11:05. How dare I make them wait another five minutes. They had been out there since 10:30. Well, when I apologized and said that I had been lifting a hot pot full of potatoes off of the stove and tore my thumb nail off. I needed five extra minutes to wrap the nail back on with tape and plastic wrap. They were kind enough to write me back and say, "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen."

It's really easy to pick on us and complain. We've had other things to worry about and glad that the name was in stone with the county and the IRS and that we had a Fed ID number, phew. But it took months for the plans to be finalized and now we have to wait and twiddle our thumbs waiting for inspections. Is the plumber going to actually show up today or is he a no show and I'm paying rent on a building that is still months from being finished.

So whatever, Hersh. Too bad if you don't like the name. You probably won't like the food either or the wine or the beer or anything. Thanks for giving me this opportunity to vent. Its been a long week.

Wow. 900 words because someone didn't like the name. In a forum where 95% of the posts about CK are gushingly positive. On your one day off. And a warm, sunny Monday, at that.

Interesting priorities.

Damn I don't see why you apologized Hersch. Its just an internet chat board not the floor of the Senate. I never understood why there was such bruhaha over anything posted here much less your benign little post. Its just a bunch of chit-chat and small talk among people with similar feelings about food. Which is why the response seemedd like using an Abrams to try and kill a fly.

Gosh, I am stunned at how quickly folks on DR.com love to take it out and take a whiz on stuff just for general purposes.

I guess if the name really kills your appetite you can eat at the Woodside Deli or Kirsten's or Armands.

If folks at DR.com kill your appetite you can go read egullet, chowhound or the comment section of the Post website. ZING!

-Edited to remove douche-baggery. -Blake

"General Store and Post Office Tavern" is one of the worst restaurant names I've ever heard.

Okay folks. Heather opens the thread with a link to the Post. This is the first response in the thread. I'm sorry Hearse but that is like a slap in the face. Those are fighting words. They are aggressive. I'm never aggressive on this post just explaining my side of things. I've never met you or seen you. But if I were introduced to you by Heather and the first thing that came out of my mouth was, "Gee, man. What an ugly shirt." How would you feel. I don't want an apology. I just want you folks to understand what we're doing and what we do.

If you don't like the name. That's fine. You have a right to your opinion. But if you believe the name is too long. Why not say that? Why say it is the worst name you've ever seen. We often drive by a place in Maryland called RIP's. How's that one? Its short but kind of scary.

I did not write those 900 words today on this bright sunny Monday (I was at the chiropractor). I wrote it at 1 am. Yes, that is how I ended my 48 hour weekend standing on my feet was those 900 words. Explaining to Hearse the background of the name. Which he admittedly did not know. Kind of reminds me of the comment about my foie gras from someone who had never had HOT foie gras before.

My mother always told me that keep your mouth shut if you are loose on the facts and never use superlatives--worst, stupidest, etcest will always get you in trouble.

I do not go on this site to be beat up or to start fights. It was 900 words of explanation. Sometimes during my day like when people call me at 8am on Sunday morning and exclaim "Oh good your open now." They can't hide their disappointment when I answer, "No, we open at 11." They want to know what the hell am I doing in the building at 8 if I'm not open. Well it takes me 3 hours to get ready to serve brunch to 149 people. There's 10 pounds of sausage to roast, and a case of eggs to poach, etc. I just think sometimes it is good to have chefs on here because some folks just don't understand what it takes to do this thing. I was on a thread about Rays answering someone who could not believe that a popular menu item sometimes has to leave the menu. That lack of understanding has many folks on this board foaming at the mouth. But even the explanation satisfied Hearse.

I was invited to participate on this board by Don Rockwell. He created my screenname and all of that. I unfortunately have no funky nickname to hide behind. So I really can not say what I want and not pay for it. I'm out here just telling you guys when I think you're wrong about something. I think you can not like the name. That was not being obnoxious. If you find the name distasteful then maybe it is not the place for you. Can't say it to the cab driver? Well, maybe RIP's is for you.

I think you folks have a great time on this site and there are nights I read it just to see what place is getting a lot of talk and buzz and business or is popular. I don't really like eGullet or chow hounds. I really can't tell you why. I just don't. I log on occassionally. I don't have very much time to sit here and follow everything, just a thread that sounds interesting. And if I feel like I have two cents to throw in I do it.

If you don't want chefs or me in particular to read and respond I will cancel my thing (can I do that Don?) and I will never log on again. However, if I'm on here and someone says that my "name is the worst." I'm going to defend it. Human nature, no?

I don't have much time. I've got to go to my daughter's school then meet a friend at Central. This took me 10 minutes if you're counting. I type 65 wpm. I'm also a former English teacher and I'm a writer. Words come easily to me. I've lost a few (used to teach shakespeare--sorry about that juliet misquote, Don.) I've still got a little in me though.

If you don't want chefs or me in particular to read and respond I will cancel my thing (can I do that Don?) and I will never log on again. However, if I'm on here and someone says that my "name is the worst." I'm going to defend it. Human nature, no?

It's absolutely human nature, and I steadfastly encourage you, or any other restaurant professional, to speak your mind, pro, con, or whatever. And if that means coming on here and questioning something Hearse (!), DonRocks, or anyone else writes, then so be it.

We often drive by a place in Maryland called RIP's. How's that one? Its short but kind of scary.

And it's Rip's, you dodo. The guy's name is Rip. It's at the T-intersection of Route 197 and Route 301 in Bowie.

To all who posted similar things: I apologized because I unintentionally gave offense. That's what one does. I must say, though, that what one also does is accept an apology with good grace.

But of course I accept your apology. I really didnt think it warranted either. I admire your admission that you really did not know the building's history and that we really don't expect folks to walk in and say the entire name before they order. Legally, you have to give things a name and sometimes you have to add more words than you may need so it does not duplicate a name active in the county tax register. The General Store at Forest Glen came up after several attempts to just call it The General Store. We did want to add the component of the Tavern. So we agreed on The General Store and Post Office Tavern. There are certain legal requirements that can force your hand here. But again, I like the name.

I just got back from Central and had way too much to drink. Time for me to shop for an island online.

Any word on how the Store/Post Office project is progressing? I drive by the old Forest Glen Gerneral Store several times a day and haven't seen much activiity of late. The parking lot looks good and it appears from the outside that the interior has come along nicely.

I'm really, really looking forward to this.

Any word on how the Store/Post Office project is progressing?
Thankfully, there's an update from TS:
Ask Tom: General Store Update

Sunday, October 21, 2007; Page W22

"Any news on Gillian Clark's new venture?" a chatter asked me during a recent online discussion. "It looks like work has totally stopped on the project" -- the General Store and Post Office Tavern in Silver Spring's Forest Glen neighborhood -- which Clark, the chef and co-owner of the popular Colorado Kitchen in Brightwood Park, was hoping to open over the summer. Named for what the structure used to be, the new restaurant is slated to feature family-style Sunday suppers and a pub serving beer and pizza.

I could hear Clark sigh when I called her for an update. "We had the usual construction delays," she said, adding that everyone involved was also "overly ambitious," given the challenge of transforming a building built in the 1890s into a Montgomery County-approved place to eat. "Right now, we're at the mercy of contractors." There are hints that the restaurant might open before the end of the year. New floors are in place, Clark said, and "we're totally wired" with electricity. But given the setbacks, she said, "I'm not giving a [start-up] date anymore."

Given how long other new places have taken to open, this sounds like it's on track.

Keep your fingers crossed. We are hoping to open the doors any day now. A few loose ends and inspections are all that stand in the way.

This is great news...congrats on the progress. I'm keeping my fingers are crossed that all goes well with the inspections!

(I'd also be interested in a sneak of the menu)

As Tom teased on Wednesday, here's an update:

Sunday, November 23, 2008; Page R03

COMING UP NEXT: "A Cracker Barrel with good food."

That's how Gillian Clark is referring to the General Store (6 Post Office Rd., Silver Spring; 301-562-8787), the neighborhood restaurant she hopes to open with partner Robin Smith -- this month, if all the inspections are approved. "We're going through the final look-throughs" in the two-level former country store, Clark said last week.

She won't be handling the day-to-day cooking there but instead plans to "make an appearance and refine things." A cook has yet to be named, although Clark said she has somebody she has worked with before in mind.

The chef and owner of the late Colorado Kitchen in Brightwood Park said she has "actually been to a Cracker Barrel"; her General Store will feature a menu of "American road food" to include chicken and dumplings, casseroles and chili. She's considering opening early in the morning, too. "We're testing recipes for breakfast sandwiches and crullers," she said.

But don't expect doughnuts. Those are "a Colorado Kitchen thing. This is a different place."

Then she dangled an intriguing possibility before fans of the shuttered eatery. "I don't want to steal any of Colorado Kitchen's thunder, in case it might reemerge."

Say what?

"We never closed the door on that."

-- Tom Sietsema

Did a drive-by this week and they're getting close! Will the parking spaces behind the castle ever be available to us?

From the Georgia Avenue Meeting House Thread:

A little more news on Clark's new venture.
In the meantime, the opening of their General Store and Post Office Tavern in the Forest Glen neighborhood of Silver Spring has run into another bureaucratic snag: Montgomery County, Clark says, requires at least 30 parking spaces for the twin-concept operation.

"We're short 23 spaces," she says. "We had no idea that this was a requirement."

Clark and Smith have applied for a parking waiver. If that fails, Clark says, there is an office next door that has agreed to let the restaurant use its lot. The chef is confident the General Store and Post Office Tavern will open in early January.

Sigh. On a positive note, this gives me time to lose 10 pounds before they open [which would make it nearly impossible].

Parking minimums for businesses is total suburban BS. You shouldn't mandate that kind of thing, especially since people should be encouraged to take public transit whenever possible. Just my 2cents...
While I agree you should not mandate that sort of thing I disagree why. But your reason makes me wonder if you are familiar with the location of the restaurant.

Parking minimums for businesses is total suburban BS. You shouldn't mandate that kind of thing, especially since people should be encouraged to take public transit whenever possible. Just my 2cents...

I disagree (depending on the area). It's perfectly reasonable to expect people to pay for use of scarce resources one way or the other. And public transit is not always a reasonable alternative.

On the other hand, dropping a bomb on a business owner at the last minute is absurd.

I disagree (depending on the area). It's perfectly reasonable to expect people to pay for use of scarce resources one way or the other. And public transit is not always a reasonable alternative.
Forest Glen Metro station is a healthy 10 min walk away. Or a 45 minute crawl (in my case).

On the other hand, dropping a bomb on a business owner at the last minute is absurd.

Are we sure that this was just dropped on them at the last minute? Just because someone doesn't know the requirements doesn't mean that it is the bureaucracy's fault (although I pretty much could find a way to blame ANYTHING on red tape).

Are we sure that this was just dropped on them at the last minute? Just because someone doesn't know the requirements doesn't mean that it is the bureaucracy's fault (although I pretty much could find a way to blame ANYTHING on red tape).

I do not doubt it...according to Chef's blog on myspace from Sept 24th, they've had quite a trying time with the landlords. I wish them luck!

Hoping for an opening date as soon as possible...