Rip's Country Inn, Roadside Inn, Deli, Bar, and Liquor Store on Route 301 and 197 in Bowie Since 1952

Gillian Clark said:
We often drive by a place in Maryland called RIP's. How's that one? Its short but kind of scary.

Rip's is a good old-fashioned wayside inn, located on the east side of Rt. 301 south of the BaySox stadium. It is connected to a package store and has a small motel out back in case you feel like a quick lie-down after your meal (or get lucky at the bar). It's not going to win any culinary prizes, but they make very good meatloaf, Maryland crab soup, etc. They have classic sides like beets, stewed tomatoes, sweet potatoes, cole slaw, etc. Last time I was there I think I had a crab cake special, and it was pretty tasty. Prices are amazingly low.

A friend of a friend used to be the wine buyer & host wine tastings there - Andy used to be the wine guy at a wine store in Ft. Washington whose name escapes me. Not sure if that's still the case, but if it is he's worth seeking out.

This is a restaurant that I have eaten at a lot while overnighting in Bowie. It's not the fanciest place around but the filet and the crabcake are definetly satisfying after a long day at work. I have actually stayed at the Motel several times. With varied success. :blink:

Joe H said:
Silesia in Ft. Washington is one of the best stores in the D. C. area.

Silesia wasn't it. This was about fifteen years ago, and the place is in a nondescript strip mall on Oxon Hill Road. I tasted many seriously good wines there, and scored some good deals, like the '89 Beaucastel Ch. de Pape right after it's release (the special price for the tasting was $24.99/bottle.) and some fine vintage ports. Andy moved on at least ten years ago.

Back on topic...Rip's ain't great, but it's close to the Bowie Baysox stadium.

Andy D'Epanier (sp) is more than just a wine guy. I have bought wine from him for 25 years and he has taught me much besides selling me such joys as Beaucastel 90, 88 AND 90 Cos D'Etournel, Caymus 90 AND 91, and 90 Philipponnat "Clos de Goisses (drank my last bottle Friday-stunning). I never remember the food at Rips being more than ordinary but a trip to their companion wine store (especially on Mondays when 2 or more bottles are 20% off) is worth a visit.