What Are You Eating Right Now?

Heather

Consider this is the gastro equivalent of "What are you wearing?" laugh.gif

Right now I'm eating a late lunch: a bagel thinly spread with cream cheese and piled with cold smoked wild salmon, slivers of vidalia onion, and very thin slices of brandywine tomato, pausing every few seconds to lick the tomato juice running down my arms.

What are you eating?

Late lunch also, after picking up the kids at summer school-in our quest to find a good Chinese place close by, my son suggested we try Hunan East, at the south end of Rt. 1 (Sacramento Shopping Center), close to Ft. Belvoir. After being stuck in traffic, after a school bus crash!, we went down & ordered fried dumplings (my son's benchmark), Hunan Shrimp, & Cashew Chicken-after a decent wait (they warned us the fried dumplings would be at least 20 minutes), we carried everything home & dove in-this will definitely be a takeout place, fried rice was PLAIN-no veg, just the way the kids like it, nice large portions, hunan shrimp not as hot as China Garden (over near Kingstown library), but still good-we've been feeling kind of left out, as we haven't found too many good take-out places where we've moved (south end of Rt. 1, close to Ft. Belvoir-good location for BRAC, but not much in the way of restaurants, wish I had the cash to finance one)...Thistle

Pizza from CPK (I was at the mall to buy a baby gift and both kids wanted pizza :P ). Goat cheese, roasted red pepper & eggplant, and surprisingly good bacon. Just wish the sauce and crust weren't so sweet. With a San Pellegrino Aranciata.

Seal Bay triple creme cheese that I just picked up from Cheesetique. I didn't see it in the case when I went in, but asked for it. It was already out on the back table where it had previously been cut for an earlier customer. That meant it was perfect goo and I bought the whole, albeit small, chunk.

It's now in my kitchen about half gone, accompanied simply by some WB Lanham bread that I bought yesterday at Penn Quarter market. Washing it down with a glass (and soon to be an entire bottle) of Ommegang belgian-style ale from Cooperstown, NY.

The Mrs. better get home soon, or she's going to miss out on the Seal Bay.

Diet Coke With Lime and some chocolate from Montana that a guy brought in as a thank-you.

Too many disappointing centers in the chocolate, though. Lots of marshmallow ones. And one fruit jelly, ew. I'd rather have a box of See's, where I might occasionally alight upon the delicious sugary sweetness of unexpected marzipan.

overly fried and overly salted oysters on a bed of ancient arugla, followed by a dried peice of tuna that was served rare - at least they got that part right. oddly it was paired with a poorly executed burre blanc and topped with a "sweet raisin chutney" which did nothing to compliment the flavors - what little there were. the plate was finished with truffled mash potatoes that had neither the hint of truffle or a single crystal of salt.

had a meeting at a restaurant and someone orderd for me as i was running late. note to self - be more punctual.

overly fried and overly salted oysters on a bed of ancient arugla, followed by a dried peice of tuna that was served rare - at least they got that part right.  oddly it was paired with a poorly executed burre blanc and topped with a "sweet raisin chutney" which did nothing to compliment the flavors - what little there were.  the  plate was finished with truffled mash potatoes that had neither the hint of truffle or a single crystal of salt.

Staff meal at Notti Bianche? :P

Careful, you could get drummed out of DR.com for admitting to this.

Well, I didn't toast it, does that help? Are there Pop Tart Factions I need to watch out for?

The scary thing is, the huge box of Brown Sugars came with four free... I don't know if I can even say it...

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pop Tarts.

:P

I'm eating a gin and tonic right this minute.  However, for lunch I made a Bacon, Tomato, and BASIL sandwich.  Does anybody else substitute basil for lettuce?

had not substituted basil for lettuce before today. i had that as a pre-shift snack, i made a few modifications though.

grilled soprasota, sliced proscutto, heirloom tomatoes, and fried basil, and a thin layer of garlic agliata on toasted flat bread.

had not substituted basil for lettuce before today.  i had that as a pre-shift snack, i made a few modifications though.

grilled soprasota, sliced proscutto, heirloom tomatoes, and fried basil, and a thin layer of garlic agliata on toasted flat bread.

:P:wub::P I don't have access to all of that. I'm thinkin' Pepperidge Farm "Italian" bread with Hellmann's mayo and whatever bacon is on sale at the Safeway and tomatoes from the farmers' market. (I buy a bag of basil every week at the farmers' market all during the summer--some of it goes bad before I can use it, but not often. I just think it adds such a wondeful flavor.)

At the risk of sounding sad and pathetic, here goes...

Chicken Tikka Masala takeout in front of the computer in my hotel room in San Diego

Finishing it off with the free bottle of water and chocolate chip cookie they gave me when I checked in yesterday

Wishing I was brave enough to go have dinner at the bar by myself at a nice restaurant but there is no Palena here

Lunch a la Madeline (that's my 10 year old daughter)

Quinoa topped with grilled veggies and "Mama Maddie's Zesty Vinegrette". she's quite the mix master. She used three kinds of fresh herbs, two types of vinegar, lemon, lime and pineapple juice. And you know what, it awesome! But I'm a little biased!