What Are You Eating Right Now?

Heather

I can't find a "Lunch" thread, so I'll put this here:

We just had Chesapeake Bay Oyster Stew from John Shields' book (I used leeks instead of onions).

For a few decades, oyster stew has been a traditional lunch for us on Thanksgiving and Christmas, always made by my mother-in-law. I was never able to get her to give me the recipe, mainly because I don't think it was written down anywhere and she never measured anything. Shields' recipe is not the same, but it is good and rich, and close enough. Merry Christmas, Catherine!

I luuuuuuuuuuuurve oyster stew. Although our traditional one is little more than butter, milk, cream, salt, pepper, and oysters. I sometimes put bacon, ginger, or a bit of leek in, but I am them slammed for being a ridiculous moderniste. My wife, who'll barely touch the raw ones, also loves oyster stew.

Right now, I'm eating an average sandwich from Corner Bakery. But I'm still thinking about the most caloric thing I ate over the Christmas holiday: chicken "wing" dip which contained not just cream cheese, but also cheddar cheese, chopped chicken, other mystery ingredients and about a bottle of hot sauce. Kinda gross, kinda good.

Stopped at Full Kee:

Won Ton Soup

Pea Shoot Greens with Garlic

Chicken and Eggplant with Garlic

2 Fortune Cookies

Act 2 of Siegfried (Boulez version on DVD)

Several glasses of Grappa Marolo di Barolo e di Brunello di Montalcino

Bye bye cold!!!

Have you tried the Shrimp stuffed eggplant? So good.

The peanut and I ran over to Kotobuku to pick up dinner tonight. Rainbow roll, california roll, eel roll, 2x(scallop, eel, tuna, and salmon) sushi for the adults and an order of edamame for peanut.

Soup: duck base, Andouille sausage, chunks of Blue Ballet squash, Rancho Gordo Rio Zapé beans (dark brown, almost a coffee-chocolate flavor to them), mushrooms, dried chipotle and dried cayenne chiles, and a boost of organic chicken broth. I'll probably build some more into it today: roasted corn or something.

Mmmmm, mmmmm, good for a sun-finally-broke-out-on-the-California-coast winter's day.

Half an Italian sub leftover from Vace last night. I know everyone raves about the pizza (including me!), but, people: This Is an Amazing Sandwich. Just meats and cheese and pepper oil & vinegar on a roll... I usually like the works on my sammies, but with ingredients this good, you just don't need anything else. Ahhhh...

Turkey Chipotle Chili Soup from Produce Galore here in Columbia. It's ground turkey (some big chunks) with chipotle chilies, onions, navy beans, and green peppers in a light turkey broth (very little broth I might add). Not at all spicy, but it has a very strong and flavorful taste. I added a dollup of sour cream and sprinkled some chopped cilantro on top. Washing it down with a SoBe Green Tea iced tea. MAN ALIVE that's a meal right there!!

I just had a few spoonfuls of anasazi beans cooked with ham and ancho chiles. Very good. I was making sure they were still okay before serving for dinner. The container kind of got pushed to the back of the fridge :lol::huh:

Ingredients: Enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate [vitamin B1], riboflavin [vitamin B2], folic acid), vegetable oil (canola, cottonseed palm, sunflower and/or partially hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ for freshness), skim milk cheese (skim milk, whey protein, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes, annatto extract for color), contains two percent or less of milk, salt, paprika, yeast, paprika oleoresin for color, cheese cultures, soy lecithin.

Mmm, paprika!

A lovely orange cracker with none of the ramifications (on your fingers/keyboard), that reign supreme with their bastard brother, Cheeto.

Cheese Nips, Orange Goldfish, not the same.

God damn Kellog's company fooled me. I am___________?

Today's impulse purchase at Whole Foods: Skyr. It's Icelandic, kind of like yogurt, made with cultured, concentrated skim milk. It's really creamy, and tastes kind of cheesy at the end. It also appears to have vanilla seeds in it (WF also had blueberry). Mr. Xochitl thought it was like icing. The more garbage-disposal-like of my two Akitas did not like it so much, his picky friend seemed to.

Today's impulse purchase at Whole Foods:  Skyr.  It's Icelandic, kind of like yogurt, made with cultured, concentrated skim milk.  It's really creamy, and tastes kind of cheesy at the end.  It also appears to have vanilla seeds in it (WF also had blueberry).  Mr. Xochitl thought it was like icing.  The more garbage-disposal-like of my two Akitas did not like it so much, his picky friend seemed to.

I tried the Skyr when it was on sale at the end of the Icelandic food featured at WF, and really liked it. I bought it in SS and I looked for it again, but since they did not have any, I figured they wouldn't be carrying it anymore. Did you get it at the WF in SS?

(right now I'm sharing Godiva truffles with my DH--they were a Valentine's gift from MIL)

I tried the Skyr when it was on sale at the end of the Icelandic food featured at WF, and really liked it. I bought it in SS and I looked for it again, but since they did not have any, I figured they wouldn't be carrying it anymore. Did you get it at the WF in SS?

(right now I'm sharing Godiva truffles with my DH--they were a Valentine's gift from MIL)

I did. They had a small display of it in the cheese section, between the dairy case along the back wall and the freestanding cheese displays. I was craving it again today. Did you have the vanilla or the blueberry?

Now I'm eating leftover chicken fried steak. Mmm.