Pilin Thai, Route 7 in Tysons Corner - Falls Church Location Has Closed

Pilin Thai has been discussed in several Tyson's threads and I felt it was high time for the restaurant to have it's own thread. One location (Tyson's) was often speculated that it might close due to escalating rents for the strip mall (which was the demise of Mr. Smith's). A new location is opening in Merrifield, in a small strip mall across from Merrifield Gardens, that also houses "Dad's Backyard Burgers".

The food and service are great. Not high on ambiance (at least the Tyson's location), but the wonderful cooking.

---

[Note: The Merrifield location never opened.]

Any idea when the Merrifield location of Pilin Thai and the burger place are supposed to open? There has been signage on this little strip mall for well over a year for four tenants: Pilin Thai, zPizza, Carvel/Cinnabon and Dad's Backyard Burgers. The zPizza and Carvel shops opened about six months ago, but the other two have been boarded up and dormant looking the whole time. There has been a new burst of signage there for the burger place within the last couple of weeks, though, so maybe something's happening there. But the RFP you included as a PDF on your post is all about the relocation of these four businesses as well as other nearby businesses hard up on Gallows Road, presumably due to the long-awaited reconstruction of the Lee Highway-Gallows Road intersection. This makes me wonder if Pilin Thai and Dad's Backyard Burgers will ever actually open. There's only a small parking strip between the building and the road, and if that's taken for road construction I don't see how any business could viably operate in that building. So the state must be going to relocate them somewhere else per the RFP you referenced.

I agree with you about Pilin Thai being good food in an unpretentious setting, and since I live not far from this little strip building I was looking forward to having them come in there. Also, I was curious to see if this Dad's burger place would be any competition for Five Guys and Elevation Burger which are both nearby.

Any idea when the Merrifield location of Pilin Thai and the burger place are supposed to open? There has been signage on this little strip mall for well over a year for four tenants: Pilin Thai, zPizza, Carvel/Cinnabon and Dad's Backyard Burgers. The zPizza and Carvel shops opened about six months ago, but the other two have been boarded up and dormant looking the whole time. There has been a new burst of signage there for the burger place within the last couple of weeks, though, so maybe something's happening there. But the RFP you included as a PDF on your post is all about the relocation of these four businesses as well as other nearby businesses hard up on Gallows Road, presumably due to the long-awaited reconstruction of the Lee Highway-Gallows Road intersection. This makes me wonder if Pilin Thai and Dad's Backyard Burgers will ever actually open. There's only a small parking strip between the building and the road, and if that's taken for road construction I don't see how any business could viably operate in that building. So the state must be going to relocate them somewhere else per the RFP you referenced.

I agree with you about Pilin Thai being good food in an unpretentious setting, and since I live not far from this little strip building I was looking forward to having them come in there. Also, I was curious to see if this Dad's burger place would be any competition for Five Guys and Elevation Burger which are both nearby.

With the new condos going up on the south side of Lee Hwy, there's going to be increased demand for these kinds of restaurants, for the busy professionals who I suspect will fill the new buildings.

With the new condos going up on the south side of Lee Hwy, there's going to be increased demand for these kinds of restaurants, for the busy professionals who I suspect will fill the new buildings.

This is my fervent hope! I work in Merrifield, and I've also been waiting for Pillin Thai to open, as neighbors of mine have recommended it. If only it would deliver at lunch, my life would be complete!

Quick question, has anyone ever gotten a meaty crispy honey roasted duck? As in big chucks of meat, battered and fried as opposed to thin strips tasting mostly of batter and mystery substance inside?

I remember Pilin Thai in Falls Church being meaty last time I had it there, but that was years ago.

Pilin Thai has closed at 116 W. Broad Street in Falls Church, and has been replaced by the second location of Hot N Juicy Crawfish (the first is in Woodley Park). This is the same shopping center that contains the *outstanding* Brown's Hardware - if you're looking for a great, independently owned hardware store, look no further).

The Pilin Thai in Tysons Corner on Route 7 remains open. Along with a Lamb Vindaloo at the Falls Church Haandi, the Pilin Thai in Tysons Corner served me one of the hottest dishes (a salad, if I recall) I've ever eaten, but this was a good fifteen years ago.

"Pilin Thai Closes After 22 Years in F.C." by Sally Cole on fcnp.com

P.S. Pilin Thai never did open in Merrifield, correct?

16 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

They’re all kind of gloppy generic Thai joints in my view.  I wouldn’t go to any one of them.

I can't remember what it was, but I had one of *the* hottest dishes of my life at Pilin Thai (the one in North Tysons Corner) - it was ferocious.

Ah, yes - I see I mentioned that three-years ago, just above.

Unlike Indian Vindaloos, which can be tamed somewhat with Raita, Thai cuisine has *zero* dairy to ease the agony of hot chili - there's nowhere to turn, not ice water, not rice, not nothing. It's a superficial burn on your lips that feels like your skin is literally cracking open from the Scoville Units.