American Flatbread, Broadlands - Closed

We're hoping to head out here for dinner on Sunday evening after I pick my husband up at Dulles (that is, if his flight arrives remotely on time). Two questions: One is what to order. I've been rereading the posts but was wondering if there were specific recommendations. To clarify what Joe said elsewhere: Is the bbq pie typically available off menu? It sounded interesting and I don't have any idea when we'll get back that way, so I think I'd like to try it if possible. I realize that the pies are dependent on the availability of ingredients, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Additionally, I have Dan's directions to get there from the toll road but am unsure how to head that direction on the toll road from the airport. I know that's a silly question, but the last time I drove to Dulles before this trip was over a decade ago. I tried to identify the route when I was there dropping him off at the beginning of the trip but couldn't figure it out.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We're hoping to head out here for dinner on Sunday evening after I pick my husband up at Dulles (that is, if his flight arrives remotely on time). Two questions: One is what to order. I've been rereading the posts but was wondering if there were specific recommendations. To clarify what Joe said elsewhere: Is the bbq pie typically available off menu? It sounded interesting and I don't have any idea when we'll get back that way, so I think I'd like to try it if possible. I realize that the pies are dependent on the availability of ingredients, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Additionally, I have Dan's directions to get there from the toll road but am unsure how to head that direction on the toll road from the airport. I know that's a silly question, but the last time I drove to Dulles before this trip was over a decade ago. I tried to identify the route when I was there dropping him off at the beginning of the trip but couldn't figure it out.

My guess is that if the BBQ pork isn't on the specials board, it's not available - the menu isn't very big, and they do run out of the specials pretty regularly. The current special pizza, as of last night, has shrimp, swiss chard, corn, and derby cheese. Pulled pork was nowhere to be seen. That being said, the maple sausage is excellent, and you're not going to be missing out if you get that instead.

Directions-wise, you need to get on the Dulles Greenway headed towards Leesburg - from there it's exit 6. There's no telling what the airport signage looks like at the moment because they're in the midst of redoing that whole interchange.

I think there's a Dulles Greenway exit before the RT 28 exit. If not, you can exit onto 28N then onto the Greenway. But, that would have you cutting across three lanes of traffic in about 1/4 mile to the exit on the left.

Map: That little road running N/S just west of 28 and between those parking lots is probably what you'd use.

My guess is that if the BBQ pork isn't on the specials board, it's not available - the menu isn't very big, and they do run out of the specials pretty regularly. The current special pizza, as of last night, has shrimp, swiss chard, corn, and derby cheese. Pulled pork was nowhere to be seen. That being said, the maple sausage is excellent, and you're not going to be missing out if you get that instead.

Directions-wise, you need to get on the Dulles Greenway headed towards Leesburg - from there it's exit 6. There's no telling what the airport signage looks like at the moment because they're in the midst of redoing that whole interchange.

Thanks! It sounds like anything with sausage/pork is good there, and I love maple with sausage. I also like shrimp, but my husband doesn't. I guess there's always the option of splitting pizza toppings, as it seems like people are satisfied with that,.

I'll look for the Greenway signs. I tried to assess things when I was there, but since I was navigating through the traffic and headed towards DC, I didn't see anything that looked like the signs I wanted. My husband is better with directions, so I guess we can figure it out.

I think there's a Dulles Greenway exit before the RT 28 exit. If not, you can exit onto 28N then onto the Greenway. But, that would have you cutting across three lanes of traffic in about 1/4 mile to the exit on the left.

Map: That little road running N/S just west of 28 and between those parking lots is probably what you'd use.

Thank you very much for mapping that out. I should be able to handle that :angry:

New Special:

Coming Week of August 4th - Fields of Athenry lamb sausage, Stone Manor Farm organic sweet yellow peppers, Wheatland Farm organic scallions, Oak Spring Dairy derby cheese , Green Alchemy Farms fresh rosemary, our own organic tomato sauce, sundried tomatoes + herbs,

Took the family to AF tonight. First the good...

The flatbreads were excellent. Due to my wife's desire to not eat cute little baby lamb's, we skipped the special (lamb sausage) and went with the Virginia Sausage. Loved the sundried tomatoes and caramelized onions. There was a nice sweetness in certain bites. The sausage and mushrooms were also extremely tasty. As everyone else says, the crust is perfect.

We ordered the kids the "cheap" flatbread (Cheese and Herb). I liked that they brought it out first, when it was ready. The kids were able to get started and it was a nice appetizer for us. It was like a REALLY good cheese bread. With minimal ingredients, you could easily taste each one, especially the garlic oil.

While the prices were high, I thought the flatbreads were certainly worth it. Now the bad...

Drinks. I see Clay addressed this concerning Coke and Pepsi products. That's not my problem. My wife and I decided to order water anyways to save $5. Then there were the kids drinks. We have 3 kids, ages 4, 2, and a few weeks. i'm guessing we aare the target customer.

The waitress asked us what the kids want to drink. I asked what drinks they have for kids. She said apple juice and milk. So, one kid ordered milk, the other apple juice. They came in cute little kids cups with animals on them and we'll have those in our house for a while and get good use out of them. So far, so good.

They were both somewhat thirsty and needed refills. So, we asked for refills. We got refills. Then the bill arrives. Kids drinks are $2? That seems expensive, but not a big deal. Live and learn, I guess What is a big deal, to me at least, is that we were charged for the refills and were not told about it. That's right, we paid $8 for kids drinks! That's ridiculous. If you want to be in Ashburn because of families, then don't charge us for refills on expensive kids' drinks. It's not like their downing 5 cups of juice. I don't think a toddler is going to put you under by taking advantage of free refills.

At the very least, tell us. It is expected, especially in the burbs, that refills are free. If that's not the way you want to run things, that's cool, but tell us. Anything short of having the waiter clearly say so, NOBODY in a community like Ashburn is going to assume they have to pay for kids' refills.

Anyways, rant over. We'll definitely return. But, the kids will have water, thank you.

At the very least, tell us. It is expected, especially in the burbs, that refills are free. If that's not the way you want to run things, that's cool, but tell us. Anything short of having the waiter clearly say so, NOBODY in a community like Ashburn is going to assume they have to pay for kids' refills.

I think this paragraph is really good advice to the restaurant - the challenge for American Flatbread will be how to "drop the hint" without offending. I'm picturing Colorado Kitchen-like comments on the menu ... 'We're not serving corn syrup here, so if junior is thirsty, have him load up on the garden hose before ushering him into the Tundra...'

Cheers,

Rocks.

What a difference a review makes! We were in Friday night around peak time. From a measly three full tables a few months ago to packed with a ten minute wait! Janice (the co-owner) said it was all from the review.

Everything we had was amazing! Virginia sausage, sundried tomato, "punctuated equilibrium." I don't know how they do it, but every inch of the pizza flatbread is perfectly cooked - the mushrooms are caramelized to a sweet juiciness without singing the bottom of the pizza flatbread.

My parents who, like me, had a lot of experience at the original Vermont location were exceptionally pleased.

Both the evolution salad and the caesar were light years ahead of our first experience - deeply fresh and flavorful. Blandness did not exist within the salad! The caesar came with these sweet and juicy grape tomatoes that had this tantalizingly surprising smokiness to them - a real treat!

Just for reference, they do a pretty good job of keeping their specials updated (I have GOT to try that ham & maple fennel pie flatbread!!):

http://www.americanflatbread.com/ashburn/specials_pop.htm

Also, check out their announcements page for complimentary wine tastings, benefits, and other special events:

http://www.americanflatbread.com/ashburn/a...cements_pop.htm

I went back to AF last night. Yeah, I know I had just gone on Friday. So what, wanna fight about it?

This is very good stuff:

Wood Trail Farms slow roasted fresh Ham with a maple fennel, roasted chili barbecue sauce baked with Snow Bear Farms Swiss Chard, Adams Farm sweet onions and sweet corn

Great big chunks of roasted ham. Drool drool drool.

Still gotta give their desserts another shot...

So, sometimes the third time isn't alway the charm.

The first two times I went to American Flatbread I was blown away, great pizza, good service and nice drinks, never a complaint at all. But, when I was there on Saturday night with three friends, I felt like I was in a different place.

We got there around 7:30, so it was more crowded than I have ever seen it, but it was still only half full. We got seated right away and our waitress came over a few minutes later. She asked us for our drink order, we got two beers, a bottle of wine and four glasses of water. In the end, it took four trips back to our table and 20 minutes to get all of our drinks! The first trip resulted in one beer, the second trip in the other beer and two glasses of water, the third trip with the bottle of wine and the fourth trip included the wine glasses and the last two glasses of water. Not a promising start.

Once we had the drink situation settled, it was onto ordering. The waitress told us about the salad and the pizza special, but it didn't sound right at all (I read the board when we came into the restaurant). It just so happens that she put some of the salad ingredients on the pizza and some of the pizza ingredients on the salad. No big deal, we figured it all out and ordered the specialty salad (organic romaine, Pebble Knoll Farm rasberry housemade creamy vinaigrette blended with carrots, local roasted sweet corn, Snow Bear Farm heirloom tomato, and red onions garnished with orange slices) and two pizzas, really four halves (Fields of Athenry Farm free range chicken tossed with Green Alchemy Farm housemade basil pestoand finished with Snow Bear Farm tomato, red onion and green pepper confetti - New Virginia Sausage - Punctuated Equilibrium - Pepperoni and Peppers). We were looking forward to our meal.

About 15 minutes later, we get one pizza brought out by some guy from the kitchen. The pizza is right, but where is our salad? We asked him about it and he asked who our waitress was, we told him and he said he would check on it. About 15 minutes later we got our second pizza brought out by our waitress, the pizza was correct, but still no salad. We asked about it again and she basically told us that she forgot to order it. We told her not to worry about it, we already had the pizza, but she insisted on giving to us for free. Sounds good. We ate both pizzas, completely gone and delicious, and then the hostess came out to our table to drop off our salad...but it was the wrong salad. The hostess looked at us and said, "This is the wrong salad?" We said, "Yes." She then proceeded to say, "Sorry about that." and walked away! Are you kidding me!?

Whatever. We ordered dessert, the orders were right, but the apple pie and brownie were not every good. Next time I go there, I will stick with the ice cream, never had good luck with anything else.

So, the food was still exceptional, except for the baked dessserts, but the service was awful. For a second, I wanted to give them a pass since it was crowded, but it was only half full, just more crowded than I have seen it before, and it has been open for a while, so they have no excuse at this point. My friends and I discussed the tip for a while and settled on 10%. My base tip is 20% and I go up and down from there. I have only tipped 0% twice in my life, my friends were arguing for a third time, but I couldn't do it. Why? It seemed like a process issue, not a particular server issue. We had lots of people at our table that night, so I didn't want to just blame our waitress, she probably got a bit lucky.

Anyway, I still recommend that everyone got there to try the pizza. And, since this was my first bad service experience, I will chalk it up to bad luck this time.

Anyway, I still recommend that everyone got there to try the pizza. And, since this was my first bad service experience, I will chalk it up to bad luck this time.
We had some service issues the last time, but all were forgiveable in that our waitress's other party consisted of 19 people who each wanted separate checks (this is NOT an exaggeration).

Did you say anything to Janice about your service issues? She's very receptive.

We mentioned our issues to the waitress who was serving us and the hostess that was there. I did see the owner from time to time while we were there, but when we were leaving, and looking for her to tell her what happened, she was not in sight. I would have even waited a few minutes, but we had to run to a movie.

Just so you know, I always let the servers/hostesses/owners know when I have problems, generally as they are occurring, I figure that is the only way that they will be fixed. But it was weird on Saturday night, every chance we got to say something got taken away by something else going on, just a weird situation.

Hit up AF on Friday after a sloggingly stressful week at work. Nothing makes you feel warm and cozy after a week of mental cold and desolation like a flatbread with "Woodtrail Farm naturally raised Bluemont pork in a homemade, nitrate-free maple-fennel sausage baked with sundried tomatoes, caramelized onions, mushrooms, three cheeses and herbs." Served with that best Virginia wine I've ever had, but which I regrettably fail to remember the name of.

My wife was going away to visit her sister at college in Michigan (go Blue), so I figured what better way to laze away the weekend then just taking a pie home with me to munch on? I ordered half sausage, half Punctuated Equilibrium (Kalamata olives, clay oven-roasted sweet red peppers, handmade gaots cheese, fresh rosemary, red onions, mozzarella and garlic).

Now, usually when I'm there I try the special, but I had such a crappy week I just wanted my comfort food. Co-owner Janice came over to say hi, and described to me what I was missing: Steve Bakers “ Nitrate and Antibiotic Free “ Country Ham, organic baby Spinach, Red Onions, And Tomato with All Natural Mozzarella Finished with Steve’s Own BBQ Sauce.

So I took TWO pies home with me. What a way to nibble away the weekend!

As to the special pie...... GET IT WHILE THEY HAVE IT. I'm usually put off by the grocery store concept of "Virginia Ham," so I had my trepidations. The ham here is really more like prosciutto, and it crisps up magically in the wood fired oven. The BBQ sauce has just the right ratio of sweetness to complement the salt in the ham without making everything sugary.

God I'm so hungry.

We FINALLY made it to AF this past weekend. And since we had some out of town relatives in tow, we got to try four pies: Med Bread (basic cheese and tomato), Punctuated Equilibrium (see above), Sun-Dried Tomato and Mushroom, and the Meat Special (sausage and ground beef).

All were at least very good -- the standouts were the Punctuated Equilibrium, and the Sun-Dried Tomato and Mushroom. The former was a perfect combination of toppings, while the latter was covered with mushrooms -- really too much for the thin crust, but the taste more than made up for the sogginess. Service was also excellent.

Last week my wife and I went to AF (again). Two amazing special pies, one with this incredible pork meatball that really tasted like PORK. The other had tons of cool stuff (swiss chard, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.) topped off with a great goat cheese.

Our appetizer was a salad with a homemade buttermilk dressing and this INCREDIBLE bacon. I mean to-die-for bacon. "They have GOT to put this on a flatbread," we said. Sure enough, Janice said that next week's special would include it, and here it is:

Bacon & Potato Special

Steve Baker's Smoked Bacon, Spiral Path Farm's Lacinato Kale,

Sweet Onions, and Organic Herb Roasted Gold Potatoes

$21.99

We'll be there on Sunday evening to sample it, so if any Rockwellians want to make the trek to Ashburn, feel free to say "hi."

PS - They now do lunch on Saturday and Sunday.

Last week my wife and I went to AF (again). Two amazing special pies, one with this incredible pork meatball that really tasted like PORK. The other had tons of cool stuff (swiss chard, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.) topped off with a great goat cheese.

Our appetizer was a salad with a homemade buttermilk dressing and this INCREDIBLE bacon. I mean to-die-for bacon. "They have GOT to put this on a flatbread," we said. Sure enough, Janice said that next week's special would include it, and here it is:

Bacon & Potato Special

Steve Baker's Smoked Bacon, Spiral Path Farm's Lacinato Kale,

Sweet Onions, and Organic Herb Roasted Gold Potatoes

$21.99

We'll be there on Sunday evening to sample it, so if any Rockwellians want to make the trek to Ashburn, feel free to say "hi."

PS - They now do lunch on Saturday and Sunday.

Is the $21.99 price for an individual pizza? While I am not one to shy away from spending stupid money on food, the incredibly increasing prices for a single pie are getting somewhat out of hand.

Is the $21.99 price for an individual pizza? While I am not one to shy away from spending stupid money on food, the incredibly increasing prices for a single pie are getting somewhat out of hand.
These aren't one-person pizzas unless you're starving, a competitive eater, or planning for leftovers - they're roughly the size of a Pizza Hut medium, so the markup isn't that heinous.

These aren't one-person pizzas unless you're starving, a competitive eater, or planning for leftovers - they're roughly the size of a Pizza Hut medium, so the markup isn't that heinous.

Thanks for the info, it makes the price much more reasonable.

Thanks for the info, it makes the price much more reasonable.
And they're not "pizzas." It's flatbread. :(

Seriously, the price isn't that bad, especially for the quality you're getting. Yes, it's double what you'd pay at Pizza Hut, but look at it this way:

Pizza Hut

Cost: $10

Flavor Quality: 80-90 milliyums*

Cost to Flavor Ratio: $0.111 to $0.125 per milliyum

American Flatbread

Cost: $20

Flavor Quality: 900-1100 milliyums

Cost to Flavor Ration: $0.018 to $0.022 per milliyum

The cost to flavor ration is more than five times at Pizza Hut what it is at AF. That's just pathetic.

*One yum is the amount of flavor required so that there is a 50% chance of the average diner saying "mmm" on any particular bite. Cardboard is generally used as a baseline - one 10"x10" cardboard box is considered to be one milliyum.

Usually my wife and I will order two flatbreads. We'll get crazy full on one at the restaurant, then take the second one home to nibble on throughout the weekend.

I am pretty sure that I have gotten through the entire menu at this point, minus specials, even though I have only been there four times. That is the advantage of generally going with a larger group (last night there were three of us) and having a restaurant willing to make you half pizzas without charging you extra or getting their panties in a bunch.

The winner on the menu is clearly the New Virginia Sausage, one thing that I have had every time there and always been impressed with. The meat special last night - Steve Baker's Smoked Bacon, Spiral Path Farm's Lacinato Kale, Sweet Onions and Organic Herb Roasted Gold Potatoes - was fine, but I think that I have an adversion to potatoes on my pizza (and in my pasta).

The service was great last night too, much better than my experience during my previous visit. Then again, last night was pretty light, so maybe they simply struggle when the house is crowded. Has anyone else experienced this issue? If that is the case, once they figure out how to get consistently good service when they are crowded, this will become a great restaurant.

By the way, I always like their wine list and willingness to let you try things without asking or even hinting that you are about to ask. Some more Virginia wines on there would be nice though.

The meat special last night - Steve Baker's Smoked Bacon, Spiral Path Farm's Lacinato Kale, Sweet Onions and Organic Herb Roasted Gold Potatoes - was fine, but I think that I have an adversion to potatoes on my pizza (and in my pasta).
As I explained in my pizza blog, I'm not a toppings purist. I do not believe that cheese, tomato, and basil are the only "acceptable" ingredients to layer onto a pizza. I do believe, however, that it's very important with toppings to follow certain rules of texture: they should be either crisp without being dry or hard, pleasantly chewy without being tough, or (rarely) creamy without being runny, gooey, or mushy.

I admit that I was a bit apprehensive about potatoes on a pizza, given that they lend themselves so easily to dryness or mushiness. I must say, though, that the magic of the high-temperature oven, the quality of the spuds, and the size of the pieces meant that they came out perfectly. There was no clash of textures between the potatoes and the dough like I feared. In fact, I'd say this was probably my favorite of their specials so far, and definitely a good match for the cold weather.

I believe pizza toppings should be of the "Type 1" variety (see my blog for more, but basically this means that the individual ingredients should shine on their own before melding into a new whole in your mouth). Because GOOD Type 1 relies so much on the strength of the various flavors, it is SO IMPORTANT that, for GOOD pizza, your toppings be of the highest quality. The absolutely fantastic thing about AF is that, because they get everything locally and from quality sources, you can rely on getting top-notch toppings on your pizza, which is SO ESSENTIAL!

According to their website, they are still running this special. Please try it, if only for the bacon!

I finally tried American Flatbread on Saturday. We had the sausage flatbread, and thought that the flavor of was very good, my only issue was that the texture of the sausage was too dry and crumbly. The beer list is quite a nice change from the normal mega-brew heavy lists I keep running into.

I finally tried American Flatbread on Saturday. We had the sausage flatbread, and thought that the flavor of was very good, my only issue was that the texture of the sausage was too dry and crumbly. The beer list is quite a nice change from the normal mega-brew heavy lists I keep running into.

My thoughts exactly on the pizza and beer after my first visit right before the holidays. We also had the previously mentioned bacon and potato pizza, but the sausage was much better.

We also shared a slice of the apple pie for dessert and they need to bake it longer. The crust is not flaky and tasts of uncooked pie dough, yuck.

Question: Dan, are you really going to report on every single trip you make to AF?

Answer: Is that a problem?

This week's meat flatbread special:

Ham and Apple Flatbread:

Steve Baker's Country Ham, Spiral Path Farms' Organic Leeks, Organic Apples, Baby Arugula, Oak Spring Dairy's Yellow Chedder and All Natural Mozzarella

As I've said before, ingredient quality is why I go out to eat. I have cookbooks from some of the finest chefs in the world in my library, but no matter how skilled I get the level of my cooking will never reach the same level as I would get if I went to a restaurant with informed, well-sourced ingredients. AF is an estalishment I can trust to present me with unique examples of foods I encounter pretty regularly - unique in eye opening ways.

The interplay of sweet and salty in savory dishes is nothing new - it's something most diners find pleasurable and most chefs strive to balance. It would be easy to say, "Ooh. You mixed apples and ham. Big whoop." You could dismiss attempts to synergize sweet and salty as almost being trite. But it's such a staple - it would be like taking Hamlet out of high school English classrooms. The fact that a large percentage of people are exposed to Hamlet does not diminish its quality nor its importance to the world of English literature.

You can see it performed, and sometimes that performance is horrible. It doesn't alter the brilliance of the source material. Conversely, sometimes no matter how many times you've read or seen Hamlet, nor how familiar you are with the story, you will encounter a performance where the actors convey the emotive power of the words to you in such a magical way you cannot be helped but be moved, as if the Bard's works are being shown before you for the first time.

The ham and apple flatbread did that for me. It reaffirmed for me the joy and comfort of sweet-salty in a way that made me close my eyes and smile on each bite.

Why, look you now, how unworthy a thing you make of me.

One of the nice things about AF is that there's almost always something new - usually based on what they're able to find in the area. Tomato bruschetta came on bread that was light, moist, and crispy. Their Aromatic Spice-Braised Lamb Flatbread with Fields of Athenry Aromatic Spice Braised Lamb, Organic White Wine Sautéed Kale, Sweet Onions, Toasted Pine Nuts, and All Natural Mozzarella made my wife question her usual aversion to lamb. The spices and texture of the meat could have made a top-notch standalone lamb dish, and on flatbread it's simply divine.

I can't find a link to sign up for their e-mail list, but try the contact page and see if you can get yourself on their list - they send out frequent e-mails about the latest specials.

Dan,

Thanks for your thoughts - There are many who are Lamb averse - glad we were able to get your wife on the other side of the fence with lamb. It is a great meal and American Flatbread Special.

I wanted to respond to your note about not having a link to the email list. I just updated our website to give you access to the email list. (that way you can prepare yourself prior to the lamb special coming up again).

Just send an email to this address: contact@americanflatbreadah.com

You can access it on the Ashburn page as well now: http://www.americanflatbread.com/ashburn/index.htm

From the latest e-mail from AF:

"Rachel Ray voted American Flatbread’s Cheese and Herb 'Best Overall' in her March 2008 issue!"

It's so wonderful that two of my biggest food obsessions have intertwined thusly. Clearly I am at some sort of universal culinary nexus.

Stopped by on Sunday night around 7:15 and we were the only ones in the restaurant. I think maybe two families showed up while we were there. While I've definitely seen an upswing in the number of patrons since I first started coming here, it made me very sad to see the place so empty (even with the Oscars coming on)! I know it's in Ashburn, but it's really worth a special trip - so get out there!

This is a place that really embodies the gaping hole that is dining in the exurbs of DC. In a desert of Olive Gardens and Chilis, here is an oasis that really strives to evoke a feeling of community. A map of local farms adorns the wall, fliers from local businesses and organizations dot the lobby, live music is sometimes provided by a local high school student/part time waitress, and even the apple pie is baked by a woman from one of the nearby (oft-mislabeled "soulless") suburban communities.

On a board where "locavore" isn't just the buzzword of the hour and "neighborhood restaurant" is something aspired to, I'm surprised more people haven't made the trip (or at least posted on their experience!).

Anyway, we went back for the lamb pizza, and had a wonderful chat with Megan (who, like all the employees there, was as warm as the oven) about what she does to make it so moist and delicious.

18817264lg4.gifThe result? Smoked Bacon and Portabello Flatbread.

Steve Bakers Oven Smoked Bacon, Organic Portabello Mushrooms, Baby Spinach, Sweet Onions and All Natural Mozzarella. Never has the marriage of sweet and salty been so good! Juicy yet caramelized 'bellos melt in your mouth and meet the porktastic crunch of smoky bacon and crust. You're basically tasting what's going on behind the door in the last panel. Spheres of soap from a bubbled bath waft gently through the perfume-scented air while Barry White plays out on the stereo. The bacon lays the mushroom down on the 600 thread count, Egyptian cotton sheets and gently caresses her gills, using a mushroom brush to remove dirt from all the right places. There are rose petals everywhere. The lovers light some candles. Then the magic happens.

Anyone been since the chef left?
I have, obviously. :mellow: Now replacing John LoBuglio in the kitchen, coming up with the fantastic combinations and prepping things like the teleport-you-to-Morocco spiced lamb from a few weeks ago is Megan (Meghan? Meaghan?), a relative newcomer to the professional cooking world but someone with an obvious appreciation of quality ingredients and a definite natural knack for expressing the best each has to offer, something that's not always an easy task when baking something in as finicky heat as a wood-fired pizza oven (how did she keep that lamb so juicy?).

I've gone a few times now, but the last time was last fall. It really is very good pizza. However, if you don't already live out here, it's 7 bucks in tolls, XXX dollars in gas, and then 19-20 bucks a pizza. Not a cheap proposition. I wonder how they are doing these days... I guess I'll stop in again.

AF has their Country Ham and Apple Flatbread again (Oak Spring Dairy's Sharp Yellow Chedder, Steve Baker's Country Ham, Organic Apples, Baby Arugula, and All Natural Mozzarella).

If the mushroom-bacon interaction from my previous post was a loving marriage, this is a wild orgy of culinary delight. If you have the time, definitely stop in this week!

AF has their Country Ham and Apple Flatbread again (Oak Spring Dairy's Sharp Yellow Chedder, Steve Baker's Country Ham, Organic Apples, Baby Arugula, and All Natural Mozzarella).

If the mushroom-bacon interaction from my previous post was a loving marriage, this is a wild orgy of culinary delight. If you have the time, definitely stop in this week!

well with a description like THAT- how can i resist?? is it just for a limited time? why haven't i seen it advertised out here in ashburn?