"Top Chef" (2006-) Reality Chef-Competition Series on Bravo - Now in Season 16

cheezepowder

Did anyone else find the teams completely superflous? I mean if they were all doing "trios" why even bother with a team? Each person seemed to work independently of the other two and they all took credit for their own piece and the only one that really seemed to have any cohesive (and successful) theme was the shrimp. But the entire meal should have been linked together and flowed if executed correctly so why inexplicably link their performance to someone else because the dish shared the same plate space? I understand the concept when the team creates a single dish to see how they worked as a team towards a singular goal but this just seemed forced.

I was wondering if anyone who had seen the most recent Top Chef knew anything about the blue-ribbon adorned Chaine des Rotisseurs who were part of the tasting group on the elimination challenge.

I confess, I knew nothing about this group when I saw them. Personally, I found them to of be rather snooty.

When looking at their US website- it's kind of chintzy. The Baltimore chapter has professional members which are chain restaurants like Ruth's Chris and Mccomack and Schmidt's. And also- no group in NYC, Vegas, or LA.

Anyone know the deal about this group?

I don't know anything about them, but I think they looked utterly stupid and I agree seemed a bit pompous. Maybe next time we have a DR event, we can dress up also. We can start something up and have little ribbons and color code them according to how many DR events we have attended. Add little star pins for how many posts we've done. Add Twenty Dollar Tuesday bling bling (bronze, sliver and gold for number of events attended).

Padma hasn't returned any of my calls yet. I guess she must be busy with the divorce proceedings. I plan to cut my calls down to 5 times a day-- I'm sure she has a lot on her plate.

Clearly she's playing hard to get!

is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a significant increase in the number of gratuitous t&a camera shots in this season?

I've noticed a bit of that, too. Not that much, but more than in the prior two seasons for sure. Doesn't make sense.

For last night's quickfire challenge of making something creative out of premade pie crust, there were a lot of tarts. I thought they could have used the pie crust more imaginatively. I also thought it was interesting that two people made tatins. I was sorry to see Lia go.

For last night's quickfire challenge of making something creative out of premade pie crust, there were a lot of tarts.
did anyone else notice that in the quickfire challenge they didn't show (asian) sara n. and her dish? they showed her making it, but then at the end when the pastry chef and padma were walking around tasting, hers was nowhere to be seen.

What's the deal with the scar on my lovely Padma's arm?

She was in a car accident some years ago. Her scar has been her trademark in her modeling career, setting her apart from others. At the begining of this (TC)season, I caught her on an episode of The View. She said she is not ashamed of the scar, and has no desire to hide it. Indeed, this season, they are shooting her from the right side, whereas last year, she was shot almost exlusively from the left. Hence, it's apparent this season.

I thought they could have used the pie crust more imaginatively... I was sorry to see Lia go.

Agreed on both counts.

Overall positive review of the show over here. She responds to a comment from Jamie Lee Curtis (of all people) about how the show seems hurtful and we shouldn't want to watch it. Whereas I think that "Top Chef" isn't nearly as bad about humiliating its contestants as most reality TV. I don't watch it to see people break down, I watch it to see people cook.

By the way, they're taking Season 4 applications through August 22nd or so -- get in there! We need the DC area represented.

did anyone else notice that in the quickfire challenge they didn't show (asian) sara n. and her dish? they showed her making it, but then at the end when the pastry chef and padma were walking around tasting, hers was nowhere to be seen.

I hadn't noticed that at the time, but now that you mention it...They haven't been giving her much screen time in these episodes. She probably hasn't had much exciting-for-tv drama going on, and she hasn't been doing that well with her dishes either.

I'm hoping that in one of the final episodes, the Season 3 finalists will have to cook for the chefs from Seasons 1 and 2 who were in the Season 1 v. 2 matchup. See how the Season 3 finalists feel with the tables turned. ;)

inside-dvd-streetcar2.jpg

"ZOORRRAAA!!!!!"

So you think "I coulda been a contender?" LOL! Love ya, babe. But have you noticed that there doesn't appear to be anyone over 40 in the group of contestants this year? Especially among the women. That counts me out right away.

And other than Micah, the caterer, they all work in restaurants. So who among our talented YOUNG restaurant chefs in town is willing to take 3 months off of work to do the show next season? We could work up a list and draft someone.

So you think "I coulda been a contender?" LOL! Love ya, babe. But have you noticed that there doesn't appear to be anyone over 40 in the group of contestants this year? Especially among the women. That counts me out right away.

And other than Micah, the caterer, they all work in restaurants. So who among our talented YOUNG restaurant chefs in town is willing to take 3 months off of work to do the show next season? We could work up a list and draft someone.

I would LOVE to see Landrum and Poivrot Farci on this show. The entertainment value would be through the roof. The only two potential problems: Wikipedia crashing every Wednesday night as people all across america try to figure out obscure French philosophical references and the good chance that Michael would be brought up on manslaughter charges after some judge inevitably says that he isn't venturing outside of his Ray's the Steaks comfort zone...

Was it just me and my poor eyesight, or were all of Gail Simmons' shots through a filter (à la Cybil Shepard in Moonlighting) in last night's "Watch what Happens" special? Would have liked to hear a bit more from 'silent Sam' and I wish Dave was in every season - love him!

And didn't you love how Micah had to jump in and remind us all ONE MORE TIME that she has a child (after Camille mentioned she'd left her restaurant and child to be on the show).

I hope Al D. got to see the tribute to his 'lovely Padma' and her kitchen fashion statements :angry: .

Last night's show was pretty boring. I enjoyed the Padma tribute, but my favorite part was the mock quick fire challenge performed by the 2nd season cast! Thirty seconds to cook steak, eggs, and........a potato.

Last night's show was pretty boring. I enjoyed the Padma tribute, but my favorite part was the mock quick fire challenge performed by the 2nd season cast! Thirty seconds to cook steak, eggs, and........a potato.

Now, Padma, that's a work of art. That was a funny scene, they were drunk as hell. Back to Padma, my new GQ arrived a few days ago, and there a pretty nice layout of her this month. I swear GQ is a much better than esquire. There is a full section on men and cooking. Check the the slideshow of padma out. They left some of the best photos out the this month's issue

http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_5768

Missed it... B)
Not to worry, I'm sure they'll rerun (and rerun and rerun) the show today and in the next week. Didn't miss a whole lot, just quick shots of her throughout the season thus far (in practical gear like short shorts, laceup espadrilles, etc). But as she said on the show (and it appears in the GQ article): "On the show, all I have to do is think, talk, and eat, and I think I’m dressed to do all those things.”

I also got a kick out of the Tim Gunn 'questions' - especially the one about whether or not Steven (Season 1) was "real" :angry:

Ilan, in his trademark attention-starved wardrobe, suggested that Simple-pickle Sam surrounds himself with attractive women as a result of his insecurities.

What the producers and Ilan omitted, notably after Episode 9, Season 2, aired Jan 3, 2007 in which he instructed Marcel to continue producing foams and then locate a corner in which to cry, was that on the last day of Ilan's 2001 externship at a reputable New York City restaurant he himself cried in the corner cavity of a changing-room locker after a prankster colleague soaked, vacuum sealed and froze his civilian pants (wallet included).

Heavily edited, contrived drama and humiliation deserves the paltry $60K after taxes and stigma of being “that clown” throughout an industry and is very entertaining.

Interesting story about Ilan. I can tell you right now, I really dislike that guy, he does not seem genuine at all and, honestly, he didn't seem like a very good cook. He won, that's fine, but his personality and skills pale in comparison to many others on the show.

Yeah, I can't STAND Ilan!! A typical example was during the final 4 episode when he orchestrated the whole "we need to tell the judges about how unprofessional Marcel is" thing. He went on and on about how the judges needed to know how he acts in the kitchen. During the Judges Table, Elia initiated the debate about Marcel's professionalism, she turned to Ilan for support and Ilan just stood there speechless. He wouldn't defend her. He just made her look like a cry-baby.

Yeah, I can't STAND Ilan!! A typical example was during the final 4 episode when he orchestrated the whole "we need to tell the judges about how unprofessional Marcel is" thing. He went on and on about how the judges needed to know how he acts in the kitchen. During the Judges Table, Elia initiated the debate about Marcel's professionalism, she turned to Ilan for support and Ilan just stood there speechless. He wouldn't defend her. He just made her look like a cry-baby.
Did anyone notice how when discussing people brought on for looks Collichio said that one girl from first season, "Can't compete with the skills of someone like Harold or Sam". I thought that was hilarious. I was waiting for Ilan to be like, "Yo I won second season!". Also about 4 or 5 times during the show they mentioned Sam along with the two winners or talked about how he got screwed. At first I thought Ilan made that insecurity comment as a joke but then it started to look like they had a falling out at some point after the show. I think he is just pissy about Sam getting all the attention.

Also when they showed Sam making the duck fat comment I was really expecting Padma to be stripped down slathering duck fat all over herself when the camera came back to her. She loves that guy. It is so obvious.

Interesting to see the recurring themes/challenges between the chef competition shows. HK did a 'home cooking/comfort food' challenge this week and we saw that on Top Chef a few weeks back. This week TC had a taste/sight ingredient identification quickfire; HK did a blind taste test a few weeks ago.

I thought this week's episode was a good one. I enjoyed both the ingredient ID quickfire and the challenge to recreate a package frozen meal. It was interesting to see how the 'science' behind the deconstructed packaging of the ingredients was lost on most of the contestants. (And what the hell happened to Rocco Dispirito - he looks like the freakish lovechild of Martin Short or David Gest and Jocelyn Wildestein :angry: - I much prefer the 'old' Rocco!)

I wasn't sorry to see Joey go, but he kind of got to me with his over the top emotional exit interview (the extras on the Bravo website are priceless - he holds nothing back in sharing his opinion of Rocco).

So who among our talented YOUNG restaurant chefs in town is willing to take 3 months off of work to do the show next season? We could work up a list and draft someone.

I had a chance to talk to Joey Zumpano last night--he's the former executive chef and current manager of BlackSalt. I was pitching him on the idea of applying for the next season, and he's actually been considering it already! He'd be PERFECT. He's a very talented and experienced chef, plus he knows front of house issues as well. And it doesn't hurt at all that he's young, attractive and an extremely nice person. He wouldn't be another Marcel or Stephen--they would have to look elsewhere for their bad boy. He's more the calm, organized leader like Harold who really has all of the Top Chef qualities. Seriously, Joey could WIN this, if he could get in.

I thought this week's episode was a good one. I enjoyed both the ingredient ID quickfire and the challenge to recreate a package frozen meal. It was interesting to see how the 'science' behind the deconstructed packaging of the ingredients was lost on most of the contestants. (And what the hell happened to Rocco Dispirito - he looks like the freakish lovechild of Martin Short or David Gest and Jocelyn Wildestein :angry: - I much prefer the 'old' Rocco!)

I think it was a pretty good episode overall. Joey's departure was pretty emotional. I think that had it not been for Rocco speaking up when the other judges were questioning whether the truffles were Mediterannian, CJ and Tre wouldn't have won.

Wow! Anthony Bourdain REALLY doesn't care for Rocco much!

I thought it was refreshing to see a male contestant actually showing some real emotion when he got kicked off....I still think Joey was destined to not last into the top half of the competition, though. I actually expected him off a while ago.

No, apparently he doesn't - what a well-written piece with lots of great observations about the various contestants. Interesting that Bravo allowed this trashing of one of their guest judges to be posted! Well, they did allow Rocco to respond :angry: (and it sounds like he's not done yet).

It sounds like Rocco took the trashing well. What did Rocco do on his "The Restaurant" show that pissed so many people off? I only caught a few of episodes, but he made the comment: "Apparently, I have a long road ahead of me before I am forgiven for my behavior on 'The Restaurant.'"

What did Rocco do on his "The Restaurant" show that pissed so many people off?
It pretty much boils down to him spending the bulk of his time during the run of the series either off site promoting his book, or chatting up women in the dining room, while the FOH and BOH staff, including his mother, were dealing with all the pacing and supply problems you'd expect at a new restaurant. Add to that Jeffrey Chodorow, who kept throwing various "managers" into the equation to try to fix things, and you have a massive trainwreck.

It sounds like Rocco took the trashing well. What did Rocco do on his "The Restaurant" show that pissed so many people off? I only caught a few of episodes, but he made the comment: "Apparently, I have a long road ahead of me before I am forgiven for my behavior on 'The Restaurant.'"
I actually thought that Rocco was a decent judge. I think that Bourdain, and many others, are dissapointed in Rocco more than anything else. I still remember the meals I had at Union Pacific during Rocco's tenure there - he was (is?) an incredibly talented chef. Bourdain correctly notes that since leaving UP he has crashed and burned - I mean Rocco ran a 3 * NYT restaurant, and is now not cooking, but rather hawking Bertolli frozen dinners and hosting an on-line cooking show. Were it Rachel Ray or some other purveyor of schlock, I doubt Bourdain would be as bothered. Rocco is tremendously talented - it's just a shame that he would rather be a b-list reality star.

The svelte 4-episode French version "Plus Près des Etoiles" (Closer to the Stars) follows 7 of the country's highest rated apprentices as they compete, without flabby saddlebag drama, for a 6 month internship in judge Joël Robuchon's restaurants... possibly more substantial to a culinary career than a lifetime supply of disposable tupperwares.

The televised distraction's host station suffers in terms of limited budget, audience (4am. Sunday time slot preceded by "Riptide" reruns) no cultured tension or silly Whole Foods sourced reinvent-the-bagel-sandwich-with-traditional-Ashkenazi-condiments challenges. It's sensational liabilities are compensated by the presence of elite chefs. Cameras focus on technique and horsepower rather than producer prodded squabbles and horse shit. 3 final candidates must create as well as write a methodical savory and sweet recipe with artisan products and are coached by starred stove heavyweights: 4th Generation chef Marc Haeberlin, Bruce Willisish Thierry Marx and creepy Raider of the Lost Arkish Marc Veyrat.

It was obvious almost from the start which team was going to lose on last night's episode. And so it came to pass. It's also no surprise that Howie was associated with another losing team (he's never under the radar, either winning it or more often being near the bottom of the barrel). After watching the episode as edited unravel, it also became obvious that either Sara or Howie were going to get whacked. Howie is more 'entertaining' if you can call it that and this is likely why he avoided being ejected.....

And why the heck weren't there more fried foods? The falafel idea was a great idea that never got made.