"Top Chef" (2006-) Reality Chef-Competition Series on Bravo - Now in Season 16

cheezepowder

The chefs this season, for the most part, seem pretty good, but two of my least favorite contestants are in the finale.  It's like if the Red Sux and the Patriots somehow ended up in the NBA Finals against each other.

I would say that if I were a chef, this season would have been a good one to be on because I feel like they had a lot more "social time" than in past seasons.

Hmm, Nina has probably been my favorite chef from the very beginning (perhaps because of my pro-St. Lucia bias), and she's done nothing since to make me dislike her. Nicolas has been by far my least favorite chef of the second half of the season. I feel like Shirley really should be here. I feel like the finale will be a classic execution (Nina) vs creativity (Nicolas) battle. Nicolas has tons of ideas but frequently puts too many components on the plate or messes up a seemingly simple thing (his consistent battles with underseasoning). Nina seems to operate within a relatively narrow band, but executes the hell out of everything she does. Hard to see her making a mistake in the finale.

• Like 1

I am probably the most judgmental person in the world and I simply cannot get past some of the comments that Nina made early in the season.  I am likely exaggerating the exact amount of times she said this, but I swear that three or four episodes in a row she blurted out "suck a d*ck" or suck my d*ck" or some version of that.  While I am shocked that they didn't bleep it out on TV, I am just personally freaked out hearing that from someone on TV (particularly a woman).  And, yes, call me sexist from saying that it is worse hearing that from a woman as opposed to a man, but it just is (according to me).

I am probably the most judgmental person in the world and I simply cannot get past some of the comments that Nina made early in the season.  I am likely exaggerating the exact amount of times she said this, but I swear that three or four episodes in a row she blurted out "suck a d*ck" or suck my d*ck" or some version of that.  While I am shocked that they didn't bleep it out on TV, I am just personally freaked out hearing that from someone on TV (particularly a woman).  And, yes, call me sexist from saying that it is worse hearing that from a woman as opposed to a man, but it just is (according to me).

I recall that, but I believe it was only in relation to one other chef, that goofball with the curly hair that was eliminated first or second.  I think I might have said similar to him.

I have mixed feelings about Nick.  At least in the way the show has been edited, he certainly has come off as an ass for the second half of the season, but I think the partially self-imposed pressure he's feeling to win this is higher than anyone else's.  Remember, he had an exec chef position up until last year and the management fired him and kept his menu and everyone else in his kitchen (that's gotta hurt), he's got a young family that he's the primary breadwinner for, and he hasn't gotten another full-time gig since.

Nina has shown herself very well throughout the season and will be sought after if she wins or not.  I think Nick needs the win more.

• Like 1

Nina was robbed. It looked like Tom Collicchio wanted the win for Nick, and he bulldozed the rest of the judges. Nick's meal was inconsistent between the two panels of judges and consistency was supposed to be one of the criteria. His first course lacked salt and his dessert panna cotta had too much gelatin. The first panel of judges who ate his meal didn't like the scallop noodles or the duck. The second group of judges thought those two dishes were great. And he had a meltdown and screamed so loudly at the expediter and servers that everyone in the dining room heard him yelling and cursing. Hugh tried to bring that up--The Top Chef award is supposed to be about leadership. When he called in to the after show, Tom admitted  that Nina had out-cooked Nick throughout the season, but wishy-washed and said that he wished that they didn't have to be quite so ethical in that the award supposedly is only about the final meal cooked. But the judges had it evenly split, two courses went to each of the contestants, so the decision needed to have been made about consistency and leadership--in that meal and throughout the season. In both of those, Nina clearly was superior.

I agree.

I think Nina also got screwed by not having an ice cream maker in her kitchen.  I have no idea if that's a standard piece of equipment, but she seemed to expect one to be there.

Also Emeril said he couldn't eat Nick's duck dish, but he ate all of Nina's swordfish.  To me, that should have eliminated Nick right there.

I agree.

I think Nina also got screwed by not having an ice cream maker in her kitchen.  I have no idea if that's a standard piece of equipment, but she seemed to expect one to be there.

Also Emeril said he couldn't eat Nick's duck dish, but he ate all of Nina's swordfish.  To me, that should have eliminated Nick right there.

He could eat it all, but he didn't like it.  He did like Nick's dish, with the pieces of duck that were done enough for him to eat.

We're at the mercy of the editing, but throughout the competition, Nick showed a lot more willingness to experiment and really push his creativity, even to his detriment.  Nina certainly produced a lot of good-tasting food, but she appeared to stick  fairly close to things she already knew.  That could have been weighed by the judges as well.

I don't like Nina or Nick, as I stated earlier, but I think that this decision clearly came down to which judge has the most pull (in this case, Tom Collicchio).  When it comes down to a close decision, someone is going to get their way, and Tom got his way.  I don't think this is particularly good or bad, that is the way it is when the vote is that close.

FWIW, this was Tom's explanation on Twitter after the finale:

This is how we scored last nights challenge

1st course 5 to Nina

2nd 3 Nina 2 Nick

3rd 1 Nina 4 nick

4th 0 Nina 5 to nick

Nina 9 nick 11

With the obvious caveat that none of us can taste the food, that seems like a reasonable explanation (and I was 100% behind Nina in this episode and season). Nina killed the first course, and failed to deliver what the judges felt was a real dessert at the end. The second course was obviously closer than editing showed.

SPOILER-boom, right off the bat, we've lost both local contestants (George Pagonis & Joy Crump). It's a shame, because I would have liked to see more from both of them. It's early to call a favorite yet, but i already have my LEAST favorite chef picked out. This episode wasn't much fun, team challenges are such a pain in the butt.

I was incredibly disappointed to see Chef George go first, especially as I had enjoyed a fantastic meal at Kapnos just a few nights before. Although my disappointment is ameliorated a bit by the fact that I think he let his ego get in the way. I get it, but there were so many "worse" chefs that he could have chosen to go up against that I believe would have kept him in the game.

And seeing Joy go soon after was another disappointment. Less surprising perhaps, but I did have one opportunity to enjoy a lovely brunch at her restaurant and would have liked to see her do well. Leaves me much less invested, especially since a few of the presumably better chefs turn me off with their attitudes.

And yet, I will keep watching. Can't stop myself.

I was said to see Joy go so soon.  I'm reserving judgement on the rest but some of them need to get off my tv sooner rather than later.

I'm concerned about how much air time is being devoted to someone like Aaron, who is thoroughly despicable- at least in terms of how is coming across on the show.  The editors/producers may be thinking this is what viewers want to see, but judging from many posts I see on Twitter or elsewhere, I don't think this is the case. The previews for this week's episode suggest that we have more suffering to endure.  I enjoy the show too much to give it up, but it is getting more difficult to watch the drama.

Yeah, Top Chef won me back a good bit last night. Mainly because Chef Pagonis is back, but also because they had some interesting twists with the way they brought a chef back and the judges shopping for the contestants (just fun). I honestly don't see how Gregory won't win, but I have high hopes that George will make it far this time around. 

Cheftestants announced for Season 13 and there are 3 local chefs to root for:

This season's cheftestants include: Karen Akunowicz (Boston, MA), Angelina Bastidas (Miami, FL), Carl Dooley (Boston, MA), Garret Flemming (Washington, DC), Jeremy Ford (Miami, FL), Renee Kelly (Shawnee Mision, KS), Phillip Frankland Lee (Los Angeles, CA), Marjorie Meek-Bradley (Washington, D.C.), Kwame Onwuachi (Washington, D.C.), Amar Santana (Orange County, CA), Grayson Schmitz (New York, NY), Jason Stratton (Seattle, WA), Frances Tariga-Weshnak (New York, NY), Isaac Toups (New Orleans), Wesley True (Atlanta, GA), Giselle Wellman (Los Angeles, CA), and Chad White (San Diego, CA & Tijuana, Mexico).

New season starts airing in December
  • Like 2

Yeah for this:

Garret Flemming (Washington, DC),

Marjorie Meek-Bradley (Washington, D.C.),

Kwame Onwuachi (Washington, D.C.),

I don't know if any of the others are repeats from past seasons, but Grayson Schmitz is. (I remember the unusual name)

• Like 2

Yay, TC is back! SPOILER- of the local chefs competing, 1 is kicked off in the first episode & 1 wins the 2nd episode.& it's amazing how quickly certain chefs can become annoying, even after maybe 10 minutes of screen time-unfortunately, lots of these will stick around, because quiet, competent chefs make for boring tv.

• Like 3

I've only watched the first episode so far but it was a doozy with DC's Garret Fleming providing some great quotes.  The first was his out of the blue attack on Mike Isabella, who he accused of "serving one of the worst bastardizations of Italian food in the history of the world".  Just a bit hyperbolic.

HIs next quote took me two or three watchings to realize I'm not smart enough know what the hell he's talking about.  I like the first line, but he loses me with the rest, but hey, I'm just a dumb engineer, not an English or philosophy major!  (and it was trying to understand statements like this that drove me to engineering school in the first place!!)

"If you have your head up your culinary ass, you're never going to grow as a chef. Cooking is a continuation of philosophy because it's a study of aesthetics. Gustatory aesthetics. But there's nothing more connective with human existence than the cultural manifestation of cuisine."

Guess who was the first one voted off?

• Like 2

Guess who was the first one voted off?

He's now competing on "Last Chance Kitchen," where those who are voted off Top Chef can fight to return to the on-air competition. He has already defeated two chefs. It's unlikely he will survive long enough to make it back on the show- he has a long way to go.  I'm wondering about the quality of his restaurant "Barrel."  Has anyone been?

• Like 1

really enjoying this season with chefs Kwame & Marjorie. I had an opportunity to eat their food at a collaborative dinner at Ripple earlier this week. Kwame is really quite talented and I'm hoping his performance in the last two episodes is just a blip. This week Tom Colicchio tells Marjie she is the best baker who's been on the show, after she makes milk bread.  Great comment and it looked delicious, but what exactly is milk bread?

This week's challenge was quite odd- with judges' expectations not explained until it was too late to meet them, and an unexplained appearance by Colin Hanks.

Still it's fun to watch.  I look forward to what's ahead for Marjorie at Ripple and Smoked & Stacked and Kwame's upcoming Shaw Bijou due to open in the spring.

• Like 3

really enjoying this season with chefs Kwame & Marjorie. I had an opportunity to eat their food at a collaborative dinner at Ripple earlier this week. Kwame is really quite talented and I'm hoping his performance in the last two episodes is just a blip. This week Tom Colicchio tells Marjie she is the best baker who's been on the show, after she makes milk bread.  Great comment and it looked delicious, but what exactly is milk bread?

This week's challenge was quite odd- with judges' expectations not explained until it was too late to meet them, and an unexplained appearance by Colin Hanks.

Still it's fun to watch.  I look forward to what's ahead for Marjorie at Ripple and Smoked & Stacked and Kwame's upcoming Shaw Bijou due to open in the spring.

Yeah, also no offense to the Judges, but wanting huge hunks of meat, then sending them off to Whole Foods just made the whole things a bit odd on expectations.  On Last Chance Kitchen they brought in big chunks of meat that were not available for the Beefsteak, so if they wanted big meat, why didn't they recognize that was going to be hard to get at Whole Foods in that quantity? I thought that was a little disingenuous.  Someone seemed to comment about it briefly on the show.

• Like 1

Totally agree with Lori and kt........it seemed like none of the clearly understood the concept of the "meat bowl" or whatever it was called.  I got a little annoyed at the judges being annoyed at the chefs!  If all 10 of them got it wrong, it's obvious that the directions were not at all clear.

I also thought it was a little weird and surprising that they were falling all over themselves to praise Phillip's lamb dish.  It looked almost identical to the frozen, pre-seasoned lamb you get at Trader Joes........throw it on the grill for 4 or 5 mins a side, let it rest, cut it up, and you're done.

• Like 2

I have to disagree -- the chefs were told that it was a meat fest, no utensils, a throwback to a politico-mafia dinner, and it's called Beefsteak.  My mind immediately went to basically a swordless churrascaria sort of meal and I was very surprised that most of the chefs didn't understand that's what was asked for.   I'm glad that Marjorie continues to do well, and hope that Kwame gets his head back in the game.  I think his idea of the peel-and-eat shrimp was a good one, but it's just hard to  prepare that much shrimp so that each one is perfect when it hits the judge's table.

• Like 1