1365 replies to this topic

#1351 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,124 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

[If anyone can advise me on how to split up this thread, I’m all ears. I just don’t know this program.]

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#1352 jiveturk21

jiveturk21

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

The chefs this season, for the most part, seem pretty good, but two of my least favorite contestants are in the finale.  It's like if the Red Sux and the Patriots somehow ended up in the NBA Finals against each other.

I would say that if I were a chef, this season would have been a good one to be on because I feel like they had a lot more "social time" than in past seasons.

#1353 Mark Dedrick

Mark Dedrick

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

Hmm, Nina has probably been my favorite chef from the very beginning (perhaps because of my pro-St. Lucia bias), and she's done nothing since to make me dislike her. Nicolas has been by far my least favorite chef of the second half of the season. I feel like Shirley really should be here. I feel like the finale will be a classic execution (Nina) vs creativity (Nicolas) battle. Nicolas has tons of ideas but frequently puts too many components on the plate or messes up a seemingly simple thing (his consistent battles with underseasoning). Nina seems to operate within a relatively narrow band, but executes the hell out of everything she does. Hard to see her making a mistake in the finale.

• ScotteeM likes this

Formerly DCDuck

@markdedrick on Twitter

#1354 jiveturk21

jiveturk21

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

I am probably the most judgmental person in the world and I simply cannot get past some of the comments that Nina made early in the season.  I am likely exaggerating the exact amount of times she said this, but I swear that three or four episodes in a row she blurted out "suck a d*ck" or suck my d*ck" or some version of that.  While I am shocked that they didn't bleep it out on TV, I am just personally freaked out hearing that from someone on TV (particularly a woman).  And, yes, call me sexist from saying that it is worse hearing that from a woman as opposed to a man, but it just is (according to me).

#1355 weezy

weezy

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

I am probably the most judgmental person in the world and I simply cannot get past some of the comments that Nina made early in the season.  I am likely exaggerating the exact amount of times she said this, but I swear that three or four episodes in a row she blurted out "suck a d*ck" or suck my d*ck" or some version of that.  While I am shocked that they didn't bleep it out on TV, I am just personally freaked out hearing that from someone on TV (particularly a woman).  And, yes, call me sexist from saying that it is worse hearing that from a woman as opposed to a man, but it just is (according to me).

I recall that, but I believe it was only in relation to one other chef, that goofball with the curly hair that was eliminated first or second.  I think I might have said similar to him.

Louise Comninaki

Lady Goodknife, LLC

a knife & scissor sharpening service

ladygoodknife at gmail dot com

#1356 weezy

weezy

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

I have mixed feelings about Nick.  At least in the way the show has been edited, he certainly has come off as an ass for the second half of the season, but I think the partially self-imposed pressure he's feeling to win this is higher than anyone else's.  Remember, he had an exec chef position up until last year and the management fired him and kept his menu and everyone else in his kitchen (that's gotta hurt), he's got a young family that he's the primary breadwinner for, and he hasn't gotten another full-time gig since. 

Nina has shown herself very well throughout the season and will be sought after if she wins or not.  I think Nick needs the win more.

• ScotteeM likes this

Louise Comninaki

Lady Goodknife, LLC

#1357 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,805 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:09 AM

Nina was robbed. It looked like Tom Collicchio wanted the win for Nick, and he bulldozed the rest of the judges. Nick's meal was inconsistent between the two panels of judges and consistency was supposed to be one of the criteria. His first course lacked salt and his dessert panna cotta had too much gelatin. The first panel of judges who ate his meal didn't like the scallop noodles or the duck. The second group of judges thought those two dishes were great. And he had a meltdown and screamed so loudly at the expediter and servers that everyone in the dining room heard him yelling and cursing. Hugh tried to bring that up--The Top Chef award is supposed to be about leadership. When he called in to the after show, Tom admitted  that Nina had out-cooked Nick throughout the season, but wishy-washed and said that he wished that they didn't have to be quite so ethical in that the award supposedly is only about the final meal cooked. But the judges had it evenly split, two courses went to each of the contestants, so the decision needed to have been made about consistency and leadership--in that meal and throughout the season. In both of those, Nina clearly was superior.

#1358 Bart

Bart

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

I agree.

I think Nina also got screwed by not having an ice cream maker in her kitchen.  I have no idea if that's a standard piece of equipment, but she seemed to expect one to be there.

Also Emeril said he couldn't eat Nick's duck dish, but he ate all of Nina's swordfish.  To me, that should have eliminated Nick right there.

#1359 weezy

weezy

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

I agree.

I think Nina also got screwed by not having an ice cream maker in her kitchen.  I have no idea if that's a standard piece of equipment, but she seemed to expect one to be there.

Also Emeril said he couldn't eat Nick's duck dish, but he ate all of Nina's swordfish.  To me, that should have eliminated Nick right there.

He could eat it all, but he didn't like it.  He did like Nick's dish, with the pieces of duck that were done enough for him to eat. 

We're at the mercy of the editing, but throughout the competition, Nick showed a lot more willingness to experiment and really push his creativity, even to his detriment.  Nina certainly produced a lot of good-tasting food, but she appeared to stick  fairly close to things she already knew.  That could have been weighed by the judges as well.

Louise Comninaki

Lady Goodknife, LLC

#1360 bookluvingbabe

bookluvingbabe

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

I liked both Nina and Nick but I stopped watching a few weeks ago with no regrets. I nearly quit the show last season and the year before.

Absent a compelling DC-based chef, I think I've broken up with Top Chef for good.

#1361 jiveturk21

jiveturk21

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:12 PM

I don't like Nina or Nick, as I stated earlier, but I think that this decision clearly came down to which judge has the most pull (in this case, Tom Collicchio).  When it comes down to a close decision, someone is going to get their way, and Tom got his way.  I don't think this is particularly good or bad, that is the way it is when the vote is that close.

#1362 Mark Dedrick

Mark Dedrick

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

FWIW, this was Tom's explanation on Twitter after the finale:

This is how we scored last nights challenge

1st course 5 to Nina

2nd 3 Nina 2 Nick

3rd 1 Nina 4 nick

4th 0 Nina 5 to nick

Nina 9 nick 11

With the obvious caveat that none of us can taste the food, that seems like a reasonable explanation (and I was 100% behind Nina in this episode and season). Nina killed the first course, and failed to deliver what the judges felt was a real dessert at the end. The second course was obviously closer than editing showed.

Formerly DCDuck

@markdedrick on Twitter

#1363 hungry prof

hungry prof

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

Top Chef Rule #1:  Whatever Tom wants, Tom gets.

• Mark Dedrick likes this

#1364 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,124 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:59 PM

"Wolfgang Puck: Many Of The Top Chef Contestants 'Don't Know How To Cook'" by Emily Tess Katz on huffingtonpost.com

No, but they sure know how to paste their faces on frozen pizza boxes. -_-

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#1365 Deac

Deac

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:22 PM

"Wolfgang Puck: Many Of The Top Chef Contestants 'Don't Know How To Cook'" by Emily Tess Katz on huffingtonpost.com

No, but they sure know how to paste their faces on frozen pizza boxes. -_-

and one of those chefs who couldn't make an omelette was Dan O'Brien from Seasonal Pantry. he never even made it onto the main show.

#1366 thistle

thistle

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:29 AM

SPOILER-boom, right off the bat, we've lost both local contestants (George Pagonis & Joy Crump). It's a shame, because I would have liked to see more from both of them. It's early to call a favorite yet, but i already have my LEAST favorite chef picked out. This episode wasn't much fun, team challenges are such a pain in the butt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users