"Top Chef" (2006-) Reality Chef-Competition Series on Bravo - Now in Season 16

cheezepowder

Rocco's next reply here. Alas, I think Rocco's attempt to equate Bourdain's often (but not always) interesting and intelligent work on No Reservations with his own shilling of frozen pasta dinners falls more than a bit flat.

I like Bourdain's show, but who does he think he is? He sold out more than Rocco did, and from what I understand, Rocco was a better cook. Hey, so what if he is selling frozen dinners; he has to support himself somehow.

I like Bourdain's show, but who does he think he is? He sold out more than Rocco did
Uh, what? How is writing books and/or doing TV shows "selling out" more than hawking your mother's meatballs on QVC, or trying to convince people that frozen pasta is a good choice for dinner when you know he doesn't believe a word of it? Please.

I like Bourdain's show, but who does he think he is? He sold out more than Rocco did, and from what I understand, Rocco was a better cook. Hey, so what if he is selling frozen dinners; he has to support himself somehow.

Well, I'm not sure he "sold out" more than Rocco did. I guess it depends on how you define it. But the fact that Rocco is a better cook is precisely the point. Perhaps Bourdain recognized that there was a limit on how good he was going to be as a chef, so he moved on to other things for which he's better suited, like writing (at which I'd argue he's very talented).

The issue that so many people, including Bourdain, have with Rocco is the squandered talent. He got 3* from the NYT, and a few years later he's hocking frozen pasta dinners. While Bourdain may be a better writer than he is a chef, is Rocco really a better QVC salesman than he is chef?

Uh, what? How is writing books and/or doing TV shows "selling out" more than hawking your mother's meatballs on QVC, or trying to convince people that frozen pasta is a good choice for dinner when you know he doesn't believe a word of it? Please.

How do we know what any of these people believe? There is nothing wrong with selling frozen pasta, if it pays the rent.

How do we know what any of these people believe? There is nothing wrong with selling frozen pasta, if it pays the rent.

I know restaurant margins are tight, but I suspect that most 3* New York chefs can at least pay the rent if they continue to cook.

I suppose there's nothing actually "wrong" either legally or morally with Rocco's career trajectory, but there is something unfortunate about it (note: I avoided the overwrought "tragic."). The guy was at the top of his profession--the rarefied air of 3* from the NYT--and he left it all behind to be a glorified salesman. I'm stretching for an analogy here, but it's like a great filmmaker deciding he's going to make tv commercials for the rest of his or her life.

With Rocco's looks, charisma, and talent, I suspect he could have easily done what Tom Colicchio has done. Heck, in some alternative universe, it's probably Rocco who's hosting Top Chef.

“Sell Out”, in this context, is a very polarizing term – fighting words for some. I do not think it appropriate to either Bourdain or Dispiritto. I do, however, agree with HungyProf’s point that Rocco’s career took an unfortunate turn – although I would argue that it is more disappointing than unfortunate. It is disappointing when someone of such obvious talent chooses to squander it for whatever reason. Though not knowing either man well, I will not second guess their life choices.

My only quibble: stop calling yourself a chef. Chef’s cook. Many people spend the better part of a career to earn that title but it is not an emeritus position in my mind. I think it a misrepresentation when TV Personalities continue to use the title.

The guy was at the top of his profession--the rarefied air of 3* from the NYT--and he left it all behind to be a glorified salesman.... With Rocco's looks, charisma, and talent, I suspect he could have easily done what Tom Colicchio has done.
At the 2006 Food & Wine classic in Aspen, Rocco hired several blonde model-type assistants -- all wearing black dresses and the same turquoise colored necklace -- to work the crowds at the event and invite them to a local gallery for a free copy of Rocco's cookbook. The book-signing was sponsored by Fancy Feast cat food :angry: and did not have appear to have any association with Food & Wine at the time. Basically Rocco used their event to promote himself and the book.

A smiling Beau with one of Rocco's 'assistants':

post-241-1187217100_thumb.jpg

and Rocco signing a book (hey, it was free...) Notice the "Chevron" jacket. Sponsor perhaps? New job maybe?

post-241-1187217118_thumb.jpg

Back to Top Chef, note the clues they drop in the first few minutes or so about who will be leaving. Last week they focused on the close friendship between Sara and Dale so you knew one of them would be axed. Dale's immunity made the answer pretty obvious. Any bets on when Howie leaves?

Back to Top Chef, note the clues they drop in the first few minutes or so about who will be leaving. Last week they focused on the close friendship between Sara and Dale so you knew one of them would be axed. Dale's immunity made the answer pretty obvious. Any bets on when Howie leaves?

This might be Howie's week. It's another team challenge--the "dueling restaurants." As we know, Howie doesn't exactly excel at teamwork. Then again, I could see the producers completing this story arc by having Howie have an epiphany this week, realize his past errors, and turn into some great team player. In that case, it's Sarah's time to go.

It's got to be tonight, unless he ends up on Tre's team in the restaurant wars. Are we getting to the point where his fellow contestants look to set him up for a fall? The body language toward him (or more accurately, away from him) at the end of last week's show was a killer.

Two topics gets two replies...

1. I watched The Restaurant and Rocco looked awful on that show. But, I kept reminding myself that someone always looks awful on reality TV, even if they really aren't that bad. My guess is that Rocco was somewhere in between average and awful during that show. At the same time, he was, and probably still is, a great chef. But, when people start giving you serious cash to do a much easier job, it is hard to fault them for doing so. Just because you wouldn't do it doesn't make it bad. Everyone gave crap to Johnny Damon for signing with the Yankees, but instead of a 3 year $30 million contract that the Red Sox were offering him, he got a 4 year $52 million contract from the Yankees. What person, in their right mind, wouldn't take that!? Especially when you consider that the life of an athlete is so short, I would take the money and setup my family for generations to come. And, as far as slinging frozen pasta is concerned, I would never use the stuff, neither would most people on this board, but I would rather somone make the effort to make it better for people that really have to use it. Rachael Ray is popular for a reason, we may not like her, but millions do, not everyone has to be just like us.

2. I knew that no one was getting kicked off that show last night, it had that general feel as they were at the judges table. Maybe that will cause them to get rid of two people next week, who knows. I think that Howie is a bit crazy, but I also think, as I said before, that they play him up that way. He may not be the nicest guy, but my guess is that he is not that bad. And, to be honest, he can cook pretty well, he consistently is in the top tier of the Quickfire Challenges.

Two topics gets two replies...

1. I watched The Restaurant and Rocco looked awful on that show. But, I kept reminding myself that someone always looks awful on reality TV, even if they really aren't that bad. My guess is that Rocco was somewhere in between average and awful during that show. At the same time, he was, and probably still is, a great chef. But, when people start giving you serious cash to do a much easier job, it is hard to fault them for doing so. Just because you wouldn't do it doesn't make it bad. Everyone gave crap to Johnny Damon for signing with the Yankees, but instead of a 3 year $30 million contract that the Red Sox were offering him, he got a 4 year $52 million contract from the Yankees. What person, in their right mind, wouldn't take that!? Especially when you consider that the life of an athlete is so short, I would take the money and setup my family for generations to come. And, as far as slinging frozen pasta is concerned, I would never use the stuff, neither would most people on this board, but I would rather somone make the effort to make it better for people that really have to use it. Rachael Ray is popular for a reason, we may not like her, but millions do, not everyone has to be just like us.

2. I knew that no one was getting kicked off that show last night, it had that general feel as they were at the judges table. Maybe that will cause them to get rid of two people next week, who knows. I think that Howie is a bit crazy, but I also think, as I said before, that they play him up that way. He may not be the nicest guy, but my guess is that he is not that bad. And, to be honest, he can cook pretty well, he consistently is in the top tier of the Quickfire Challenges.

I missed it last night, but I'll see it tonight. If they didn't whack one this week, they'll whack two next week or the week after that. And Sara will probably go, with Howie being on thin, thin ice. And he's not really too skinny either.

I love watching TC, not the least is wondering what you would do in their place. This last test was particularly challenging, 'Restaurant Wars' divided the chefs, but not along lines that were quite fair. I want to see all the chefs, operating on a level playing field, with a challenge that is creative & inspiring....

Last night's show was pretty good (except for Tre getting the boot)-the Quickfire was awesome, I loved seeing Sara & Hung work the knives! I really think CJ should have been ousted though, he's starting to really annoy me... I thought Tre would make it all the way to the finals, too.

Last night's show was pretty good (except for Tre getting the boot)-the Quickfire was awesome, I loved seeing Sara & Hung work the knives! I really think CJ should have been ousted though, he's starting to really annoy me... I thought Tre would make it all the way to the finals, too.

Yeah, that mise en place challenge was probably my favorite moment of the season so far! The "Dream Team" got SMOKED!! Watching Hung breaking down those chicken was a work of art. And the look on Tom's face, as he was doing it, was priceless! I've gained a new respect for Hung over the past few episodes. He seems to be much more humble than I originally thought. And what was Casey doing trying to dice onions with a serrated knife? The "Bad News Bears" really came together for that challenge and it was great. I also liked it when Dale pulled Stephen aside and told him not to talk as much.

I was completely floored when Tre got the boot. This will be the first time that the winner of the first Elimination Challenge didn't go on to win the whole thing. I guess the favorite now has to be Hung.

My daughter got 2 new Nintendo DS games recently-Hamsterz (she named her hamster Hung) & Cooking Mama, which was not nearly as much fun as I thought it was going to be. Both my kids smoked me on this ( I know cooking, but they know games). I'm almost embarassed to admit one of my favorite knives is a 6.5" Spyderco serrated. After my risotto class on Sat., I think I really need to take a knife skills class...

Wow, as soon as Tre said, "I could make bread pudding in my sleep," I knew he wasn't long for the Top Chef world. Famous last words.....Too bad--he was one of the more focused and professional contestants, and I believe he has a lot of talent and drive.
What he served didn't even LOOK like bread pudding.

I also enjoyed the quickfire quite a bit. I think Hung's knife work was amazing. I so not think Tre should have been ousted. They should have ousted Casey or CJ. The only reason Casey survived was that she's one of the last two ladies and I am sure they're trying to not make this a guys only competition. CJ's dish could have been good, but I think he blew it. Tre took all of the heat for the menu line-up. I am frankly surprised they did not change up more of their menu with all the criticism from the day before.

Yeah, that mise en place challenge was probably my favorite moment of the season so far! The "Dream Team" got SMOKED!! Watching Hung breaking down those chicken was a work of art. And the look on Tom's face, as he was doing it, was priceless! I've gained a new respect for Hung over the past few episodes. He seems to be much more humble than I originally thought. And what was Casey doing trying to dice onions with a serrated knife? The "Bad News Bears" really came together for that challenge and it was great. I also liked it when Dale pulled Stephen aside and told him not to talk as much.

I was completely floored when Tre got the boot. This will be the first time that the winner of the first Elimination Challenge didn't go on to win the whole thing. I guess the favorite now has to be Hung.

I wouldn't have called them the 'Dream Team' by any means, I mean, their team didn't have Hung on it. And Casey needs to go take a freaking knife skills class. I think many of us here on the site could have beaten her.

I wouldn't have called them the 'Dream Team' by any means, I mean, their team didn't have Hung on it. And Casey needs to go take a freaking knife skills class. I think many of us here on the site could have beaten her.

The blogs online mentioned that her knives were not sharp--one reason she was having such a difficult time. But the fact that they were not sharp was an error in itself. I called it from the beginnning, with how they featured Tre's attitude of "playing it safe" and taking responsibility for the entire menu, I figured if his team lost, he'd be the one to go.

I wouldn't have called them the 'Dream Team' by any means, I mean, their team didn't have Hung on it.

I called it that because CJ had won the Quickfire Challenge the episode before and was able to handpick the three others that he wanted to work with, leaving the other four to form their own team.

Watched the episode last night.

Quickfire:

I'm still amazed, in a good way, by what Hung did to those chickens and, in a bad way, what Casey didn't do to those onions (not having a sharp knife is her own fault).

Elimination:

Disappointed to see Tre go. Not only did I like him, but I think this season just got much more boring. Who among those left can cook with Hung? Casey, CJ, Brian, Dale, Sara, Howie? None of them as far as I can see. I think everybody, contestants included, expected the finale to be Hung and Tre. As long as Hung doesn't self-destruct (and, as Bourdain points out on his blog, Hung seems to have come to his senses in the last few episodes), I can't see anybody beating him.

Every season, either on this reality show or another competition reality show (i.e. Project Runway), a good contestant gets the boot about halfway through and one, or more, shockingly sticks around. Basically, you just can't suck on any given week, you don't have to win all of the time or be in the top, but if you blow it one week, you are toast.

It seemed like Tre was good, but who really knows with all of the editing that they do. He did, however, win three elimination challenges, the most on the show. Hung seems like the best one left, but who knows, he has only won one quickfire challenge. Howie actually is second with two elimination challenge wins, and several high finishes, but he also finishes in the bottom group a lot as well, it is hit or miss with him.

My guess is that Casey is better than she appears on the show. Granted, she is damn good looking, but I think that she is a better cook than they show her to be, same with Dale. Along with Hung, I see those three at the end.

Elimination:

Disappointed to see Tre go. Not only did I like him, but I think this season just got much more boring. Who among those left can cook with Hung? Casey, CJ, Brian, Dale, Sara, Howie? None of them as far as I can see. I think everybody, contestants included, expected the finale to be Hung and Tre. As long as Hung doesn't self-destruct (and, as Bourdain points out on his blog, Hung seems to have come to his senses in the last few episodes), I can't see anybody beating him.

I see the final 4 (remember last season it was 4, not 3) are likely to be Hung, Howie (yes Howie, he's got talent, and entertainment value), and then two of either Dale, CJ or Brian (in that order most likely). I think Sara and Casey will be out in short order.

Overall I agree that it'll likely be Hung since I think he's clearly the most talented. But then again, I don't think the most talented contestant won last year.... :angry:

I see the final 4 (remember last season it was 4, not 3) are likely to be Hung, Howie (yes Howie, he's got talent, and entertainment value), and then two of either Dale, CJ or Brian (in that order most likely). I think Sara and Casey will be out in short order.

Overall I agree that it'll likely be Hung since I think he's clearly the most talented. But then again, I don't think the most talented contestant won last year.... :angry:

It's Hung's to lose.

Goodbye Howie :angry: - he was fun to watch, even if he was annoying at times. If his fate wasn't sealed when he didn't present anything in the quickfire, it was a done deal when he offered himself up during the judges' panel! The text on the DirecTV guide (which was clearly not for last night's episode) made it look like they might be going on a cruise...at least in a few episodes - it referenced an episode called "Chef Overboard", talked about the remaining 3 contestants and a buffet challenge!?

Goodbye Howie :angry: - he was fun to watch, even if he was annoying at times. If his fate wasn't sealed when he didn't present anything in the quickfire, it was a done deal when he offered himself up during the judges' panel! The text on the DirecTV guide (which was clearly not for last night's episode) made it look like they might be going on a cruise...at least in a few episodes - it referenced an episode called "Chef Overboard", talked about the remaining 3 contestants and a buffet challenge!?

The description was wrong on Verizon FiosTV, too.

Sorry to see Howie go, but he's been overdue. I did think they would keep him until the Final Four, though, as he provided a rabble rouser type that most of these shows seem to need to be 'interesting' (whatever that means). I was surprised how generally pedestrian some of the canapes were considering the skill set of some of these folks. Sheesh.

I am personally glad to see Howie go. In a total wuss move, he decides to "excuse" himself from the competition rather than face the fact that they were going to kick him off anyway. His canapes looked horrible. WTF was that mushroom thing, I expected much better from all of the contestants on that challenge. Salmon mousse on a cucumber slice? I loved how Cohliccio (sp?) called him out on that one. Still my favorite show on TV, by far.

Howie needed a fork stuck in him, he was done. I think this show is just plain wearing even those with a strong constitution. Being isolated and worked at all hours has to take it's toll. We saw the same thing with Mia last season. She came to the end of her rope and had nothing left to offer. It's a marathon, for sure. And...go girls! :angry:

...Salmon mousse on a cucumber slice? I loved how Cohliccio (sp?) called him out on that one. Still my favorite show on TV, by far.

I think a very serious argument can be made that Hung's empty-shirted effort should have gotten him the boot. Sure Howie's dishes were hideous, but the lack of respect that Hung showed to the food and his guests was equally bad in my book.

My prediction for the sub-title of one of the next three episodes

"Hung's Hubris Heads Home to Roost"

I think the Chef Overboard was this week's episode. It was set on a yatch.....Howie threw himself overboard when he said he'd step down.

I think a very serious argument can be made that Hung's empty-shirted effort should have gotten him the boot. Sure Howie's dishes were hideous, but the lack of respect that Hung showed to the food and his guests was equally bad in my book.

My prediction for the sub-title of one of the next three episodes

"Hung's Hubris Heads Home to Roost"

I agree that Hung's effort was lacking and he was obviously playing it safe. However, I think Hung has much better potential as a "Top Chef" than Howie. That being said, I think Hung started off the series quite strong, but he seems to have been beat down a bit by his peers and is not producing the same caliber food that he was at the beginning of the show. I hope he can turn it around, even though he seems a bit cocky. Did you see him break down those f--king chickens last episode......

Did you see him break down those f--king chickens last episode......
He left the f--king oysters attached to the chicken carcasses. Anyone who so arrogantly professes earth-quivering culinary passion and holds the corporate rank of Executive sous-chef at Guy Savoy would know to keep the oysters intact to the thigh or removed from the carcass and saved for royalty since the French equivalent of "poultry oyster" le sot l'y laisse is "the fool disregards it"...unless the executive title prefix specifies elite bathroom and parking privileges.

He left the f--king oysters attached to the chicken carcasses. Anyone who so arrogantly professes earth-quivering culinary passion and holds the corporate rank of Executive sous-chef at Guy Savoy would know to keep the oysters intact to the thigh or removed from the carcass and saved for royalty since the French equivalent of "poultry oyster" le sot l'y laisse is "the fool disregards it"...unless the executive title prefix specifies elite bathroom and parking privileges.

Sooooooooo, in a timed race challenge where he isn't asked to remove the oysters and nobody's going to be eating the product, the truly passionate chef is supposed to handicap his team just so he can assert his chefly pride by performing an additional task that is completely meaningless within the context of the situation?

Or am I not understanding the criticism?

I was hoping it would be Sara, but I knew it was going to be CJ with editorial foreshadowing in the early part of the show. When he said how excited he was about going to New York I knew the gig was up for him :angry: . So much for my visions of a CJ vs Tre final. Now I'm thinking Hung vs Casey...

If only he'd pulled that nasty-looking broccolini! So, Brian or Sara next week... I mean really, how many more weeks can Brian skate by!?

I was hoping it would be Sara, but I knew it was going to be CJ with editorial foreshadowing in the early part of the show. When he said how excited he was about going to New York I knew the gig was up for him :angry: . So much for my visions of a CJ vs Tre final. Now I'm thinking Hung vs Casey...

If only he'd pulled that nasty-looking broccolini! So, Brian or Sara next week... I mean really, how many more weeks can Brian skate by!?

It could also be Hung vs. Dale

Do you guys think these challenges are as tough as they seem? I know they must edit things out, but are you telling me that they really just throw guys into an airplane and tell them that they have ten minutes to cook food in some bastardized oven that they have never laid eyes on!?

If so, these are tough challenges, I am surprised that any of the food turns out well.