"Top Chef" (2006-) Reality Chef-Competition Series on Bravo - Now in Season 16

cheezepowder

Happy that Josie got kicked off. Brooke did a crappy job this week, but she has been good all season, if she and Kristin got kicked off in back to back weeks, it would have been a shame.

Overall, I am still not impressed with this bunch. If Kristin makes it through LCK, I am pretty sure that she will come back and win.

One more thing, the judges were drunk as shit while tasting the fried chicken. I don't get jealous often, but it would have been awesome to sit at the table with all of those people (especially Padma), eat that chicken, drink that wine and look out onto the water.

I was impressed, and shocked, but how funny Wolfgang Puck was on the episode. He had some definite laugh out loud lines.

• Like 2

The whole "last chance kitchen" concept is suspect, since Tom Collicchio is the only one who tastes and decides who the winner is.

You are right...Tom Collicchio has the power to put someone back in who he regrets kicking off too soon, which has to be Kristen.

It's getting close to the final four, so we'll know soon enough.

I've been craving fried chicken. really, really good fried chicken.

You are right...Tom Collicchio has the power to put someone back in who he regrets kicking off too soon, which has to be Kristen.

It's getting close to the final four, so we'll know soon enough.

I've been craving fried chicken. really, really good fried chicken.

Gilian Clark. Will she fry again? :(

Padma's arrogance is hitting critical mass. I'm not sure how much longer I can tolerate her. I have no problem with arrogant celebrity chefs who have worked their way up the line and gained their fame, but she is no chef and some of her comments are just unbearable. She is a privileged brat and hasn't earned anything.

/Sorry about that.

Anyways. Speaking of arrogant, those comments Josie made about how she had the competition in the bag, haha, too funny, I knew someone's comments would come back to bite them, her's certainly did.

That was one of the most educational episodes. The comments about Josie leaving the skin on, I never thought about that, but its bound to be greasy with floppy skin. Also, I want to try Josh's smoked and fried chicken, such a great simple idea !

If Brooke doesn't win, I will be shocked. I have watched every season of Top Chef and I can't remember a chef dominating in a way that she is. Now, I am getting older and my memory is turning to mush now that I change a million diapers each day, but she is killing it.

By the way, I think that it is BS that the Last Chance Kitchen winner has to face the Save a Chef winner. I didn't even know that there was such a thing, but God forbid a reality show without the audience coming in and fucking everything up by voting a crappy ex-contestant back into the competition at the very end.

Still learning how this show works--made no easier by the fact that clearly there are new experiments going on all over the place.

Just when I thought I finally figured out the TV vs. online stuff*, the one this week didn't follow.

* episodes are broadcast Weds nights and then replayed an hour before new episodes the following the week. Can't watch an already-shown episode in the week following its first broadcast unless you buy it from itunes? last chance kitchen only online.

What was the deal with yesterday's LCK between Kristen and Lizzie ending before the winner was announced?! Was that also a new thing to build suspense and thus viewership for the finale? If so, this show is getting more annoying with every experiment IMHO.

Not sure what you mean by new experiments? Yes, they didn't show the last chance kitchen winner to build suspense for the finale. That makes sense to me and I don't see anything wrong with it.

I also don't have a problem with the viewer pick getting a chance to compete for the spot. It was almost certainly going to be somebody who deserved a shot at it, but left because of one screw up. It's practically inevitable that at least one very deserving chef will go home (arguably) too soon because of the way the judging rules are set up (each elimination decision is made based only on that challenge, not a chef's history on the entire show) and as a long time viewer of the show (have watched every season) it doesn't get less frustrating over time. Kristin leaving before Josie is the perfect example. Having the viewers pick a contender for LCK is a way for the viewers to feel like they have a chance to "right" one of those "wrongs" so to speak. Not that I actually bothered to vote, but that's my take on it. I was actually surprised it wasn't CJ, but it made my pick for who I hope to win simple.

• Like 1

Not sure what you mean by new experiments? Yes, they didn't show the last chance kitchen winner to build suspense for the finale. That makes sense to me and I don't see anything wrong with it.

I also don't have a problem with the viewer pick getting a chance to compete for the spot. It was almost certainly going to be somebody who deserved a shot at it, but left because of one screw up. It's practically inevitable that at least one very deserving chef will go home (arguably) too soon because of the way the judging rules are set up (each elimination decision is made based only on that challenge, not a chef's history on the entire show) and as a long time viewer of the show (have watched every season) it doesn't get less frustrating over time. Kristin leaving before Josie is the perfect example. Having the viewers pick a contender for LCK is a way for the viewers to feel like they have a chance to "right" one of those "wrongs" so to speak. Not that I actually bothered to vote, but that's my take on it. I was actually surprised it wasn't CJ, but it made my pick for who I hope to win simple.

Yeah, I'm with you on most all of that, choirgirl. By "experiments," I just meant that various new programming innovations like LCK, save a chef and the use of online to complement on air. while I was more annoyed when I posted the post just above yours than now, guess I'd just have preferred they not change the formula and let everyone know who won LCK. I'd bet that generates more annoyance in the tv-o-sphere than excitement and anticipation but could well be wrong. after all, the big suspense for next week is who'll win Top Chef, right? So the little hide-the-prize on LCK seemed a bit unnecessary but I'm guessing lots of people would see that differently too. I don't have much background with this show so I probably don't fully appreciate it.

Is next week the finale or is it a two-parter?

Oh, wow. For some reason (call it cluelessness), I thought next week's one-hour (maybe a two-hour) show would be it. Have they done it as a two parter in the past?!?! Hide the baloney on LCK winner and then don't conclude with a winner for two more weeks? That'd be madness. :wacko:

If Brooke doesn't win, I will be shocked. I have watched every season of Top Chef and I can't remember a chef dominating in a way that she is. Now, I am getting older and my memory is turning to mush now that I change a million diapers each day, but she is killing it.

Brooke won 5 elimination challenges. She would've been challenged more if Kristen didn't boot herself off after Restaurant Wars. Up to that point, Kristen had 4 vs. Brooke's 2. Paul Qui from last season won 9 elimination challenges. Although Kevin G. didn't win season 6 (lost to M. Voltaggio), he had 5 elimination wins. I had recalled B. Voltaggio being dominant in his season but he only won 4 elimination challenges. I didn't go back and count the QF challenges though.

Questions I had after catching up on LCK today:

1) What was the timing of this cook-off? I'm guessing it's right before they taped the finale. Kristen mentioned Josh had lost weight and he said he'd seen himself on TV. I would've guessed the LCK was done right after Josh got kicked off, but then they wouldn't have been able to bring in the fan favorite.

2) How pissed is CD that he wasted all the time, emotional energy and maybe money to go to LA, thinking he'd have a chance to be in the finale and then get booted in the first few minutes of taping.

c) IIRC, didn't Josh have his own pig-sort of restaurant during the show? He was wearing a different restaurant's coat in LCK...and it said PASTRY CHEF! Has Josh switched sections? I will have to admit it doesn't seem like he can cook meat for shit so maybe it's a good move.

Seemed inspired by, or at least similar to, Iron Chef.

Yes, definitely more Iron Chef-y, but I found myself warming up up to the new format.  It sort of opened up the black box on how the winner was determined, and I liked having that additional info/insight.

How stupid was it that it was 10:57pm and they were only on course three. Real surprising Bravo. Maybe I'm the only one that watched live TV anymore.

Doesn't matter if you watch it live. I just finished watching now on Tivo and when I fast forwarded through the commercial prior to them judging the dish I saw how much was time left and immediately knew who was going to win. Moronic. I wasn't a fan of the new format to start with, but that just ruined it. I've been seriously considering getting rid of cable and Top Chef is the only show I can't get elsewhere, which was giving me pause. Fuck it.

• Like 2

What I ended up liking best about the finale was the chance to see all the past winners. But the time they spent on that part of the show really took time away from Brooke and Kristen and the actual competition. I didn't like the entire judging process and thought it perhaps forced some judges to vote differently just to keep the drama going. i.e. if everyone preferred Kristen's dishes after the first two rounds, it would all be over. Tom Colicchio tweeted that he didn't really like the format and they probably won't do it this way again. I think that's a good thing.

I often give credit to Top Chef for keeping it fresh all of these seasons, but the format last night was a real shame. The Iron Chef feel to it was fine, and I did like hearing the judges feedback from course to course, but whenever you make it clear who the winner is going to be, it kind of kills the whole purpose of the show. And, while it was interesting to see all of the past winners and what they have accomplished after the show, do we really need to see Ilan talking about anything!?

I'll keep it unanimous here in not liking the format this year. My main complaint was the best-of-five format for the courses, rather than looking at the entire meal. I think it is quite plausible that one person could win only two rounds, but do so very convincingly cooking the two best dishes of the night, while the other person barely wins the other three, with each of them essentially being a tie. In that case I'd argue that the first chef should win, and in the past the judges had the flexibility to make that happen.

That said, I think we had a deserving winner this time around, so I can't really complain. It was an ok season.

I haven't watched Top Chef much over the years but did tune in more this season. I also think the right woman won. She seems incredibly talented, driven and I love how her significant confidence is both backed up and tempered by humility; at least as much as one can sense from television.

As for the format, think I'm also in the camp of not liking the Iron Chef format for all the reasons discussed upthread. But I'm encouraged by the tweet that foodobsessed6 shared with us:

Tom Colicchio tweeted that he didn't really like the format and they probably won't do it this way again. I think that's a good thing.

Maybe Colicchio has a bit of humility as part of his big personality also. I also "think that's a [very] good thing." :)

Anyone watching this season in New Orleans? I finally caught up on the first few episodes this weekend.

Yes. I find it rather challenging to get super-involved, however, until they cull the herd a bit. Otherwise I pretty much just root against certain contestants (like the obnoxious dude from New Orleans this season) rather than for anyone in particular.

I usually need one or two people to root for early on to engage me.  Or at least someone from DC to root for.  (Goodness knows they are never going to get a Chef from St. Louis on there...)

I just don't feel like there is a narrative arc or quiet moments to get to know people beyond "loud" or "mean" or "kooky" right now.

So this is something I watch alone because it isn't engaging enough for Mr. BLB to watch with me. Sigh..

This last one wasn't a particularly exciting episode, but if I was one of the chefs doing arancini (3 versions), I 'd have been sweating. The quickfire (similar to a previous season, where they wrapped all the ingredients in foil) wasn't as interesting, wrapping the utensils didn't add much, & having Gail & Padma's moms pick everything was fine, but they got a lot of extra stuff.

I still love Top Chef. I think they're thinning the herd, & it should get better soon.....

I watch it and keep hoping it will get better. :huh:

I think they start out with too many chefs and it's sometimes slow-moving thinning the herd. I do like a few of them, and am pretty happy with who's been culled thus far. I like the woman with the Rosie the Riveter hairdo, as coined previously, as she's from Minneapolis and likable but not infallible. I also am rooting for the guy from NOLA from La Petite Grocery--I think his name is Justin. Nina seems to come out on top a lot, and could end up in the finale. I just don't find her that appealing.

• Like 1

One of the things that strikes me every season is how many of the contestants are completely unfamiliar with local culinary specialties, like deep-dish pizza in Chicago, or beignets and gumbo in NOLA, and I've often wondered why they don't research these before the competition. Then it occurred to me that maybe the contestants don't know where the season will be shot until they get there. Anyone know about this?

Leaving aside knowledge of local specialties, some of them still seem to show up without a dessert that they can consistently make. That suggests that perhaps it's less about not knowing the location and more about not spending the time to prepare (which might be understandable given that they all have demanding day jobs).

• Like 1

I think too many of them are way too arrogant.  If I were going on national television for any type of reality show, especially for something that I am supposed to be a professional in, I would have taken a few days and prepared and researched what mistakes were made in prior years and how can I avoid making the same mistakes that are made over and over again.

I have been to both winners restaurants and people's restaurants who have been kicked out early.  There have been really good restaurant and really mediocre restaurants in both of these catagories.

The two consistent things that I have found in eating at a contestants restaurant both before and after appearing on the show - BEFORE FAME CHEF IS BETTER AND HALF THE PRICE!!!

• Like 1

Of those Top Chef guys, I've always said that if Voltaggio was Pearl Jam (quality and commercially successful), Isabella was Stone Temple Pilots (easy punchline but actually underrated) and Spike was Creed (Creed).

Dan O'Brien of Sundevich has also been on Top Chef.  :)  Maybe he would be the Belle and Sebastian of Top Chef.

• Like 1