The Cereal Bowl, Cleveland Park - Closed

Well, I get the idea, but the case for any of that being infantile is subjective, I'd think. What about any of that makes it infantile in your point of view?

How about I substitute the word "infantile" with "solipstic" and apologize to anyone's work which I may have insulted unduly?

I should also note, in apology, that in regards to some of the trends I may have criticized above, there is a GREAT difference between being the innovator (or being a chef whose entire body of work embraces that philosophy or technical approach) and being a follower who merely turns the exciting breakthroughs of another chef into just another tired, trite, over-hyped trend.

And, really, and this is the point I was making, is "catering to your every whim and desire while indulging all of your senses in the utmost of luxury and spoiling you with the rarest and most decadent of tastes and costliest of ingredients" any better or more adult than going to some place for an over-priced bowl of cereal when you don't feel like cooking but do feel like meeting friends out?

I should also note, in apology, that in regards to some of the trends I may have criticized above, there is a GREAT difference between being the innovator (or being a chef whose entire body of work embraces that philosophy or technical approach) and being a follower who merely turns the exciting breakthroughs of another chef into just another tired, trite, over-hyped trend.

I agree, what a Kroc. :angry:

What was that guy's first name and middle initial again?

I will roast in Hell for this.

mushroom gelee shaped in a mushroom-shaped mold so it will look like a "mushroom" on the plate (kinda like Beavis and Butthead's butt-shaped tatoo of a tatooed butt that they wanted to get tatooed on their butts)

Sorry, just had to call this one out because it is one of the funniest things I have ever seen on TV.

How about I substitute the word "infantile" with "solipstic" and apologize to anyone's work which I may have insulted unduly?

And, really, and this is the point I was making, is "catering to your every whim and desire while indulging all of your senses in the utmost of luxury and spoiling you with the rarest and most decadent of tastes and costliest of ingredients" any better or more adult than going to some place for an over-priced bowl of cereal when you don't feel like cooking but do feel like meeting friends out?

Inherently? It's tough to say either way, I'd think. Restaurants and their appeal are subjective. Like I said, it's not a "bad" idea, it just rubs me the wrong way- but my opinion is certainly not absolute truth. My weakness comes with the inability to understand why this restaurant idea resonates with people (save for those with kids- that isn't something that I thought about) to the point where it's a viable market option.

But then the paragraph above that, that's where the interesting stuff lies. Isn't that the nature of any movement or period in art? Every single breakthrough in any artistic field ends up being copied in some form or another, and then gets turned into a cliche- it's the nature of being on the cutting edge. Food, however, has this great system of measurement, mentioned a couple of weeks ago to me in a discussion with my chef, is that it's measured by one standard over all others- "Is it fucking delicious?" No matter what it is, taking aside the obvious subjectivity and idiosyncrasies that come with it, if food is delicious, people will like it. Thanks to the innovators of so many things in both classical and modern cooking, we have a vast range of techniques that can be utilized in achieving that goal, and I think that the argument is clear that we're all the better off for it.

But, then again, what do I know? I have to be up in six hours to go get my tweezers, house-cured salmon, and isi-whip ready for brunch service.

FYI- It appears that the project is moving forward as planned:

Many of you have already heard that the "Cereal Bowl" will be replacing Starbucks on Connecticut Avenue between Newark and Ordway Streets. Representatives from the "Cereal Bowl" will be introducing themselves and the "Cereal Bowl" at the next ANC meeting (January 19; 7:30 at the 2nd District police station). This will be a wonderful opportunity to hear about their concept and ask questions. You can also go to http://www.thecerealbowl.com/home.html to find out more about them.

Leila Afzal

ANC3C

I stopped in last Saturday mid-morning out of curiosity and I totally agree that the place is the strangest food establishment I've visited in a long time. But knowing what businesses go through in this city to find a retail space and then navigate the DC business bureaucracy and (in CP at least) occasional neighborhood busybodies, and considering the thought of yet another empty CP storefront, I just can't bring myself to snark on the place.

Not that I can really help them succeed. I wanted to try something just to put a little money into the neighborhood economy but unfortunately I don't like oatmeal, sweet yogurt, or coffee. (And I've got plenty of cereal at home.) The place was busier than I expected though, and most of the patrons seemed to be having the aforementioned oatmeal or yogurt or coffee. Considering it's replacing Starbucks, a coffee shop with light breakfast fare just might make it.

I also poked my head in for a couple of minutes.

Granted, it was on a weekday afternoon, but even so the two friendly, youthful employees dressed in pajama bottoms looked as if they really wanted something to do.

Spartan, uninviting environment.

Two customers. The one closest to the window might have been eating something, though it wasn't a bowl of cereal.

The other, I am guessing, was a woman who lives in the neighborhood who knows this is the place to take your laptop where you won't have many distractions.

Did anyone seriously think this place could survive????????????????????

This seriously has to be one of the dumbest investments ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perhaps next to a college...but whoever owned this or started it must be either mobbed up, in the sex slave trade or a terrorist cell laundering money :)

If the owner is reading this....I would like to open an ICE store and would love the capital to open it...just think...we can call it "The Ice Store".....all types of ice...cubed, block, baged...pick your own...and Vintage Ice tray....we charge extra for that!!!!!! :)

Did anyone seriously think this place could survive????????????????????

This seriously has to be one of the dumbest investments ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perhaps next to a college...but whoever owned this or started it must be either mobbed up, in the sex slave trade or a terrorist cell laundering money :)

If the owner is reading this....I would like to open an ICE store and would love the capital to open it...just think...we can call it "The Ice Store".....all types of ice...cubed, block, baged...pick your own...and Vintage Ice tray....we charge extra for that!!!!!! :)

In all seriousness, they were scheduled to open one in Qatar.

Cleveland Park was not a good location for this (picture Kenneth Radar vs. Frank Ruta).

....I would like to open an ICE store and would love the capital to open it...just think...we can call it "The Ice Store".....all types of ice...cubed, block, baged...pick your own...and Vintage Ice tray....we charge extra for that!!!!!! :)

We have (or had) an ice store in DC- Metropolitan ice and beverage. Stores selling water are ubiquitous in LA. I do think this place picked the absolute worst location - it might have survived a bit longer up in College Park, but then again College Park couldn't keep South Side subs going.

Is there a list somewhere of Shortest lived restaurants?

Dad's Backyard Burgers in Merrifield has got to top the list. After trying to open for at least two years, the place stayed open for all of two weeks before closing for good in the face of the massive Merrifield redevelopment project.

I actually tried Dad's during that very brief window and it wasn't bad at all.

It is sad to see a business close. Here the young men who opened it had signed a franchise agreement before securing a location near GW, which was their goal. Unable to secure an affordable space near GW, and with a deadline looming likely in the Franchise Agreement, they signed for the former Starbucks space in CP. It was a terrible location but at least they made a go of it. This will be a story I tell about the need to engage competent legal counsel before signing any agreements.

It is sad to see a business close. Here the young men who opened it had signed a franchise agreement before securing a location near GW, which was their goal. Unable to secure an affordable space near GW, and with a deadline looming likely in the Franchise Agreement, they signed for the former Starbucks space in CP. It was a terrible location but at least they made a go of it. This will be a story I tell about the need to engage competent legal counsel before signing any agreements.

Actually, one of the ideas I presented to Don for an independent restaurant association would be to have a panel of experienced restauranteers offer advice, support and guidance to prospective first-time operators.

It is one area where the input of experienced board members would be invaluable in growing and fostering the local dining scene, and a way in which those of us who have profited so greatly through this board could pay it back/pay it forward.

Not to mention one of the real, valuable services that RAMW fails to provide--and only one of the many for which this community is uniquely and singularly positioned to serve as a network of mutual support and shared vision.

Actually, one of the ideas I presented to Don for an independent restaurant association would be to have a panel of experienced restauranteers offer advice, support and guidance to prospective first-time operators.

It is one area where the input of experienced board members would be invaluable in growing and fostering the local dining scene, and a way in which those of us who have profited so greatly through this board could pay it back/pay it forward.

Not to mention one of the real, valuable services that RAMW fails to provide--and only one of the many for which this community is uniquely and singularly positioned to serve as a network of mutual support and shared vision.

That really really sucks for them. :) Plus if Starbucks can't make it somewhere, that has to say a little something about the location. Not that I am a fan of Starbucks, but they seem to have a game plan of some sort when selecting sites.

I think it would be good to have a "business only" board of some sort one day. Don..hint hint.

The demise of Cereal Bowl was totally inevitable. Like others, I feel sorry for the young franchisees simply because they were earnest and committed but just really off base with the concept. The problem wasn't the location IMO. It was a flawed concept, aimless strategy, ineffective marketing and silly pricing. One of the owners posted regularly to the local CP listserv desperately trying to make the case that it was about "more than cereal" and a place to get "great coffee" among other adult options. The tragedy of it is that they did have decent coffee, sourced from a southern roaster and definitely better than the big coffee chains. But, when you name a place for one product most appealing to kids and design the space to feature that product with flat screen tvs showing cartoons on weekends, well...it wasn't meant to be.

Interestingly, this was a food-serving establishment that failed despite having people behind it with business experience (and having a totally uninteresting product mix). More common is the restaurant that fails because it has no business people behind it and can't get it's strategy, marketing and financials in order to ensure sustainable positive cash flow. The idea to have a DR sponsored board of experienced restaurant operators to help out first timers is a great one. But, maybe it'd be even greater with a few business people on it also.

Fantastic idea. Financial, spreadsheet modeling, business strategy and lease negotiation advice etc are invaluable to a new entrepreneur. As mentioned, it is sad to see any business fail. Especially to those who have been through the trials and tribulations of creating one. A diverse panel comprised of members with culinary strengths and those with business/financial acumen would be a tremendous asset to the small business restaurant community in this area.