Calling All Baltimoreans

There is no reason this forum couldn't take on more prominence if 1) it gains critical mass and 2) I can find a clone of myself who lives in Baltimore to be forum host. Is anyone out there? Baltimoreans, can you get your friends to sign up and post? We need to seed the field, so to speak.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Replying to my own post almost two years later, sixteenbiticon and HowChowblog have reaffirmed my hope that struggling to keep this forum afloat might one day bring in a core group of experts. If activity keeps up, I'm going to take some of my own attention away from Washington, DC, and start traveling to Baltimore and Baltimore suburbs a couple days a week to lend whatever hand I can.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Replying to my own post almost two years later, sixteenbiticon and HowChowblog have reaffirmed my hope that struggling to keep this forum afloat might one day bring in a core group of experts. If activity keeps up, I'm going to take some of my own attention away from Washington, DC, and start traveling to Baltimore and Baltimore suburbs a couple days a week to lend whatever hand I can.

Cheers,

Rocks.

It isn't happening.

Although there's no sense of urgency, don't be surprised if you wake up one day, and this forum is merged into The Intrepid Traveler. I'm no Robert Irsay, but I've thrown way too much of my mental energy into giving Baltimore equal billing here as a restaurant town, and have gotten absolutely nothing in return.

That having been said, Brooks Robinson is still the greatest defensive baseball player ever to live, period.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Maybe Downtown Dollar Days at the B'more Museums this weekend may attract folks to venture up there and browse and eat?

If only it was that simple...

My ambition for the Baltimore forum was to attract Baltimoreans to the community, not to get more Washingtonians traveling to Baltimore. Without the native substance of people who actually live and work in Baltimore, the best we can do is a traveler's approximation of the real thing.

Rocks, I still think you should leave it alone as a stand alone forum section. The DC-Balto megalopolis is big enough, yet inclusive enough to allow for this. Enough people here wander through and around Baltimore and environs that I think it is worthwhile to keep it more easy to find on your site...

Rocks, I still think you should leave it alone as a stand alone forum section. The DC-Balto megalopolis is big enough, yet inclusive enough to allow for this. Enough people here wander through and around Baltimore and environs that I think it is worthwhile to keep it more easy to find on your site...

Other than Yelp, this is the only major forum that has given Baltimore the respect it deserves - as its OWN city, and not lumped in with Washington, DC. But, to quote that great philosopher, Kenny Rogers, "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em...."

I have to confess that I'm a bit geography impaired. So I'm not sure why Howard County stuff is in this forum and not in the DC forum. I'd actually rather see this forum folded in to the DC forum rather than folded into the Intrepid Traveler. I found the forum pretty helpful when I had a conference in Baltimore over the summer.

I have to confess that I'm a bit geography impaired. So I'm not sure why Howard County stuff is in this forum and not in the DC forum.

Columbia, the largest city in HoCo, is about 10 miles from downtown Baltimore, is adjacent to Baltimore City/County, and has a 410 area code. There certainly are people in Howard County that commute to DC, but nobody who lives there considers it suburban DC - it's suburban Baltimore.

I have to confess that I'm a bit geography impaired. So I'm not sure why Howard County stuff is in this forum and not in the DC forum. I'd actually rather see this forum folded in to the DC forum rather than folded into the Intrepid Traveler. I found the forum pretty helpful when I had a conference in Baltimore over the summer.

Howard County is here because, when I was growing up, people that lived in Howard County identified with Baltimore waay more than with W"ohr"shington. My dad's sister was Assistant Superintendent of Schools for Howard County, and was one of only five people inducted into the inaugural class of the Howard County Women's Hall Of Fame - way back when "Columbia" was "Ellicott City" - and I spent a lot of time there, then. I remember very well microwaving vending-machine hot dogs at the Department of Education, and loving them - they were 35 cents. I loved spending Sunday afternoons sprinting down the empty hallways of the Howard County DOE, pushing a rolling office chair, then jumping into it, spinning around, and finishing the run-ride down the long, smooth floor, as the chair sputtered out of momentum. There was also a little building, off to the side of Route 29 (the old Columbia Pike), with a sign in front called, "Amazing Facts, Inc." Right or wrong, I was convinced that this was a branch of either the Guinness Book of World Records, or Ripley's Believe It Or Not.

No way this forum is going to be folded into DC; it doesn't belong there.

Columbia, the largest city in HoCo, is about 10 miles from downtown Baltimore, is adjacent to Baltimore City/County, and has a 410 area code. There certainly are people in Howard County that commute to DC, but nobody who lives there considers it suburban DC - it's suburban Baltimore.

You guys might experiment with a few other tones if you're looking to *encourage* people to post here. There are many people who live in Howard County with me and DanielK who consider this suburban DC. (I only assume DanielK's residence from his certainty about the opinions of everyone who lives here.)

I love my memories of the 1970s as well, but that was when the DC TV stations didn't report on traffic outside the Beltway and the radio stations didn't report school closings in Stafford, Fauquier, or Anne Arundel counties. We would drive to Woodbridge, and it was country. Now, the DC suburbs run north into Columbia and far south past Woodbridge. Hell, I thought the Washingtonian barely got outside the MD Beltway, but even it named one of the "Top 100 Restaurants in Washington" in Columbia.

You guys should run the site however it works best for you. I think it's great, and I have encouraged people to join. But it seems a little strange to write like this on a post that I thought was trying to encourage people to participate.

I really think Columbia should link to DC. Maybe to both. I can tell you from my crappy morning commute that a hell of a lot of people work in DC and live in Columbia, probably many more than work in Baltimore. 95 is backed up well north of Laurel virtually every morning. They are coming from somewhere...

Oh and in general this move seems like it would kill the Bmore forum period. Kinda like moving a struggling drama to Friday night; it's a death knell.

I'm late to the game apparently. When the forum got moved, I was disappointed to say the least, but I somehow missed this explanation (?) for why. As someone who cares considerably about the Baltimore dining scene, who identifies more with Baltimore than with DC (perhaps b/c I actually grew up in Pgh, although I have lived in Laurel for the last 7 years, of all of the restaurant forsaken places), and who makes an effort to post in here when I do eat out in Baltimore, I agree with Juliusc91 that the move is just putting the nail in the coffin. I also don't see what the harm was in leaving it as a stand alone where it was. What negative effect was it having that it needed to be moved?

In terms of making the Baltimore thread more active, did you consider contacting Baltimore restaurant owners and encouraging them to post & tell their customers about this place, getting something in the Baltimore City Paper, making a FB page, etc.? I'm sure someone smarter than me can come up with even better marketing ideas, other than just telling the apparent few Baltimore members to tell their friends or else.

I'm late to the game apparently. When the forum got moved, I was disappointed to say the least, but I somehow missed this explanation (?) for why. As someone who cares considerably about the Baltimore dining scene, who identifies more with Baltimore than with DC (perhaps b/c I actually grew up in Pgh, although I have lived in Laurel for the last 7 years, of all of the restaurant forsaken places), and who makes an effort to post in here when I do eat out in Baltimore, I agree with Juliusc91 that the move is just putting the nail in the coffin. I also don't see what the harm was in leaving it as a stand alone where it was. What negative effect was it having that it needed to be moved?

In terms of making the Baltimore thread more active, did you consider contacting Baltimore restaurant owners and encouraging them to post & tell their customers about this place, getting something in the Baltimore City Paper, making a FB page, etc.? I'm sure someone smarter than me can come up with even better marketing ideas, other than just telling the apparent few Baltimore members to tell their friends or else.

Believe me when I say I would like nothing more than to have an active, vibrant Baltimore forum, placed right alongside the one in Washington, DC. But I tried for years to get it cranked up, and it just didn't happen.

Finally, I gave up because if this (currently moribund) forum is at the top of the main page, it's pushing other forums (Help Needed, Shopping and Cooking, etc.) down, and that just doesn't seem right given the relative amount of participation.

Honestly, I don't have time to contact Baltimore restaurant owners (I've never contacted Washington restaurant owners either); I was hoping the Baltimore forum would grow organically.

I'll make everyone a deal: Get this thing going, and I'll put it right back where it was.

Cheers,

Rocks.

It might be easier to have an active board if it was a bit more organized. I often don't know what has threads already and what doesn't and they may help participants find places to review, or know that they need to start a new topic. If I was more computer savvy I would offer to do this, but alas, I have very little technical skill of any merit. I also don't know Baltimore neighborhoods that well, although I am ok with suburbs.

I know a lot of active Baltimoreans on the chowhound board that get frustrated they don't have their own board if only we could get them to take over, they would have their own board!

Do you check the Baltimore Dining Guides? :( 1000yregg works really hard to keep those up to date.

Actually I thought it hadn't been updated in a while last time I was there and then looked down through threads, but I see there has been some recent additions from threads I know I started, so 100yregg is definitely working hard, I thought I had wrote about more places in Annapolis, the number of topics just looks really low. Maybe I haven't and should start the engine back up.

Poor 100yregg, this is probably a thankless job as I don't think many people seem to use this board. I feel like the only person who posts about Annapolis besides Cantler's. This really perplexes me as there are so many people on Chowhound who want Annapolis advice and post about Annapolis and Baltimore. I wish they would wander over.

Actually I thought it hadn't been updated in a while last time I was there and then looked down through threads, but I see there has been some recent additions from threads I know I started, so 100yregg is definitely working hard, I thought I had wrote about more places in Annapolis, the number of topics just looks really low. Maybe I haven't and should start the engine back up.

Poor 100yregg, this is probably a thankless job as I don't think many people seem to use this board. I feel like the only person who posts about Annapolis besides Cantler's. This really perplexes me as there are so many people on Chowhound who want Annapolis advice and post about Annapolis and Baltimore. I wish they would wander over.

[i'd love to lie and say I'm qualified to mastermind a Baltimore and Annapolis board, but I'm not. We need native expertise, and yes, that probably means the Charm City Hounds whom I'm not going to pirate. Again, I've tried and tried in the past, and haven't been able to drum up support - I can't leave this forum up at the top of the website, because it doesn't get enough traffic. If we could get 2-3 topics a day (as opposed to the 20 topics we get a day on the DC board), I'd move it back up to the top - it deserves greater recognition than it has (I love Baltimore, and want it to be considered a peer with DC here), but I can't do it based on current participation. But I can still dream about it. :(]

[i'd love to lie and say I'm qualified to mastermind a Baltimore and Annapolis board, but I'm not. We need native expertise, and yes, that probably means the Charm City Hounds whom I'm not going to pirate. Again, I've tried and tried in the past, and haven't been able to drum up support - I can't leave this forum up at the top of the website, because it doesn't get enough traffic. If we could get 2-3 topics a day (as opposed to the 20 topics we get a day on the DC board), I'd move it back up to the top - it deserves greater recognition than it has (I love Baltimore, and want it to be considered a peer with DC here), but I can't do it based on current participation. But I can still dream about it. :)]

Well at least the DR.com Baltimore Board is busier than the entire egullet DC & Delmarve Board! :(

[i'd love to lie and say I'm qualified to mastermind a Baltimore and Annapolis board, but I'm not. We need native expertise, and yes, that probably means the Charm City Hounds whom I'm not going to pirate. Again, I've tried and tried in the past, and haven't been able to drum up support - I can't leave this forum up at the top of the website, because it doesn't get enough traffic. If we could get 2-3 topics a day (as opposed to the 20 topics we get a day on the DC board), I'd move it back up to the top - it deserves greater recognition than it has (I love Baltimore, and want it to be considered a peer with DC here), but I can't do it based on current participation. But I can still dream about it. :(]

we get 20 topics per day on the DC board?

Why not just mush it all together then. Annapolis and Baltimore are closer to DC than Frederick, which is considered DC. I guess I just don't get the fascination with separating them, but of course I live right in the middle. Columbia, Fulton, Hoco in general being mushed onto the Baltimore board is the only part that bugs me a bit, because plenty of people I know that identify with DC--and not with Baltimore at all--frequent those areas. Those areas are as close to DC as Centreville, where I would never go except on the way to Shenandoah, but is considered DC.

Baltimore, as much as its residents would hate to hear, is basically a suburb of DC now anyway.

[i'd love to lie and say I'm qualified to mastermind a Baltimore and Annapolis board, but I'm not. We need native expertise, and yes, that probably means the Charm City Hounds whom I'm not going to pirate. Again, I've tried and tried in the past, and haven't been able to drum up support - I can't leave this forum up at the top of the website, because it doesn't get enough traffic. If we could get 2-3 topics a day (as opposed to the 20 topics we get a day on the DC board), I'd move it back up to the top - it deserves greater recognition than it has (I love Baltimore, and want it to be considered a peer with DC here), but I can't do it based on current participation. But I can still dream about it. B)]

Baltimore, can we try again? :D

I want to say how much I appreciate 1000yregg's efforts in running this forum. Ultimately, it's the people of Baltimore themselves - or, perhaps I should say, "my failed marketing efforts to them" - that aren't making this work.

Who knows, maybe we'll give this yet another go a few months from now (Baltimore, sigh, I still have hope for you), but at this point, I think it's my responsibility to have made this a bit more enticing and "known" to people, and I haven't done that job yet.

So, more than likely, down it goes ... again. :mellow:

This is so terribly frustrating. There's no reason why a core group of 20 Baltimoreans can't vault this forum into critical mass, but it's not catching on (only nine topics posted since August 1st ).

Cheers,

Rocks

Rocks,

At least you can take solace in the fact that over the past month, the Baltimore board was 1000% busier than this .

No solace taken from the decline of others (truly - it's why I don't short stocks (because I can't bring myself to cheer when something is on the downswing)).

And, I owe it to Brooks Robinson, 1000yregg, HowChowBlog, and synaesthesia to make this forum work (can not turn my back on people who have helped here).