Chicago, IL

Walrus

the menu at sola looks very good to me, and the seafood influence would definately be appealing to my mother in law. have also heard good things about schwa, north pond, and spring. are you able to compare or speak to the relative advantages or shortcomings of these?
Spring is fantastic- we've been there a dozen or so times. Don't bother with the tasting menu though, it's generally just a selection of things off the menu. Schwa is impossible to get a reservation at- only because their staff is totally unresponsive. We haven't been to NorthPond but we expect to go there this weekend. Another place you might look at is sweets and savories. http://www.sweetsandsavorieschicago.com/

My experience with bubble tea is fairly limited, but I'm also a fan of Saint's Alp, across the street to the south. It's an outpost of a Hong Kong chain.
Does St. Alp use real fruit? I've been curious about that chain. Since the real appeal of Joy Yee's is the fresh fruit and one thing I miss when I leave Chicago -- most places out here use concentrated syrups or powders for fruity bubble drinks....

Does St. Alp use real fruit? I've been curious about that chain. Since the real appeal of Joy Yee's is the fresh fruit and one thing I miss when I leave Chicago -- most places out here use concentrated syrups or powders for fruity bubble drinks....

Y'know, I get almost exclusively teas and sesame and other non-fruity drinks, so you've got me -- I'm not sure :-)

Finally getting around to writing up my Chicago weekend. Much thanks to Dmnkly: we didn't end up getting to many of the places you recommended, but I'm definitely planning trips back to Chicago and plan on doing so.

Thursday night we arrived and headed out to Piece, where we got a massive (and pretty tasty) pizza, some surprisingly good beers. their smoked porter was delicious. Walked up to Map Room - awesome beer bar, everything I had heard it would be. Alpha King on Tap! On our walk home, we decided to stop in at Cans for a couple cheap beers in can. Atmosphere: lacking. Can choices: mostly crappy, but some gems hidden away in there. Nightcap at the Pontiac Cafe & Bar. High Life in bottle and a nice patio on a gorgeous night.

Friday was an epic. On a recommendation from our host, woke and headed up to Ann Sather on Broadway for a large and tasty breakfast. Walked up to Wrigley Field, then back down a bit to the Goose Island nearby. That summerfest is delicious kölsch and their IPA ain't bad either. On a long walk down towards DePaul we stopped at the Home Tavern, a total dive that happened to have a few decent german beers on tap in addition to the requisite Old Style. Continued down to Local Option, the surprise hit of the weekend and definitely our favorite beer bar of the trip (although Map Room was up there). ~25 taps, but all well-chosen and interesting stuff. The Three Floyds Pride and Joy Mild was delicious, and a nice "slow it down a bit" beer. Walked up to Delilah's afterwards and had a couple tasty beers there (Boon Geuze!). Massive selection of whiskey, but I wisely held off in anticipation of the long evening ahead. Cab to Tore's for an italian beef. I don't have anything to compare it with and I was fairly buzzed by this point, but I thought it was pretty excellent. Walked down to Quencher's for a couple beers. We liked this place, but there was far too much emphasis on random beers from other countries. Good for the novelty effect, but not necessarily good for beer. At this point, our friends L & C showed up and took us bowling at the incredible Fireside Bowling. Stopped in at the Bob Inn for a beer after bowling, then hung out at Mutiny while we waited for our host to get off work (Quenchers was at capacity and Mutiny was the closest bar).

Saturday was a breakfast sandwich at Cold Comfort. Shortly after, we tried to go to Hot Doug's, but seeing the 50-people ahead of us in line, headed to Kuma's Corner for some metal, a burger, and a couple beers. I had a Goblin Cock (10oz of beef, Bacon, Cheddar Cheese, ¼lb. Vienna Hot Dog, Tomatoes, Onion, Neon Green Relish, Sport Peppers, Pickles, Celery Salt, Mustard). Needless to say, breakfast was unnecessary. I ate the whole burger, but just barely, and didn't even touch the fries. Food coma followed. We eventually rallied and headed downtown, walked around to see some stuff, then took the elevator up to the top of the Hancock Tower for a cocktail. Done there, we hiked back towards Wicker Park, stopping at Angels and Mariachis, a cool little spot that had just opened. First time I've had a michelada that I unreservedly loved. Dinner at Podhalanka, a tiny little divey polish restaurant. The food was decent, but the atmosphere was incredible: it felt like the lady's living room had just been expanded to fit a few more tables. Total of two employees that we could see (cook, waitress). No liquor license. Wine tasting party at a friend's place after dinner, then headed back. We walked over 7 miles this day.

Sunday was a quick stop at Cold Comfort again for a breakfast sandwich, then flight out, stopping at the little hot dog stand between Terminal 1&2. Goose Island Honker's Ale on tap. I love you, little hot dog stand.

Saturday was a breakfast sandwich at Cold Comfort. Shortly after, we tried to go to Hot Doug's, but seeing the 50-people ahead of us in line, headed to Kuma's Corner for some metal, a burger, and a couple beers. I had a Goblin Cock (10oz of beef, Bacon, Cheddar Cheese, ¼lb. Vienna Hot Dog, Tomatoes, Onion, Neon Green Relish, Sport Peppers, Pickles, Celery Salt, Mustard). Needless to say, breakfast was unnecessary. I ate the whole burger, but just barely, and didn't even touch the fries. Food coma followed. We eventually rallied and headed downtown, walked around to see some stuff, then took the elevator up to the top of the Hancock Tower for a cocktail. Done there, we hiked back towards Wicker Park, stopping at Angels and Mariachis, a cool little spot that had just opened. First time I've had a michelada that I unreservedly loved. Dinner at Podhalanka, a tiny little divey polish restaurant. The food was decent, but the atmosphere was incredible: it felt like the lady's living room had just been expanded to fit a few more tables. Total of two employees that we could see (cook, waitress). No liquor license. Wine tasting party at a friend's place after dinner, then headed back. We walked over 7 miles this day.

Holy smoke. The burgers at that Kuma's Corner place combine my two greatest non-wife loves: food and metal. Neurosis? Mastodon? High on Fire? Awesome.

Not sure if you know, but when you were at Pontiac you were right across the street from one of the top speakeasy's in the US and certainly one of the top bars in Chicago ;) I'd imagine you loved Chicago- it's a big beer town!

I forgot to mention that we tried to stop in there that night and were understandably turned away. We were all in t-shirts, and it was pretty late. Whether the bouncer was fibbing when he said it was "after last call" or not, it was probably for the best that we ended up at Pontiac :)

I forgot to mention that we tried to stop in there that night and were understandably turned away. We were all in t-shirts, and it was pretty late. Whether the bouncer was fibbing when he said it was "after last call" or not, it was probably for the best that we ended up at Pontiac ;)
There's no dress code there, believe me there isn't, but they also don't allow much standing inside- if you don't have a seat they generally don't let you in. Also, last call is at 2:30 there I believe (I rarely make it to last call there as I usually start around 8-10PM) :)

Going to Chicago next month with my gf, and I've started scoping out some places for a nice dinner. Alinea is pretty much out of the question (girlfriend is somewhat picky and rather vehemently opposed to expensive dining), but North Pond looks rad, but I could use some suggestions using Central as a price point reference.

I just returned to DC from a quick weekend home in Chicago, and once again had some great meals. The highlight this time was dinner at Bin Wine Cafe (the more casual restaurant to Bin 36). The feel is similiar to Cork, and their wine flights are a fun idea. They give you tasting notes for each glass, and I loved the way the wine is paired with each dish on the menu. The food is light and great for sharing. Just FYI--it is loud, in a good lively way. Though it is probably off the beaten path for tourists, we really enjoyed it.

Holy smoke. The burgers at that Kuma's Corner place combine my two greatest non-wife loves: food and metal. Neurosis? Mastodon? High on Fire? Awesome.

I'm so excited to go to this place. I'm really shocked that they don't have a Pelican burger since that band is from Chi-town.

I'm so excited to go to this place. I'm really shocked that they don't have a Pelican burger since that band is from Chi-town.

Maybe they had too many people coming in and complaining about a restaurant serving pelican meat.

Although you'd think the same hypothetical person would take issue with a restaurant serving "Goblin Cock" first. :lol:

I get to go to Chicago for a few days (June 5-7) and am excited to be staying at The James. But I crave some excellent dessert & coffee and no longer know where to go. :lol: Although I do have a car, I prefer to walk (or can grab dessert to go when I leave on the 7th), as I'm near Water Tower area, I believe. Recommendations please?

Also, is it worth going to Intelligisia (I know I'm butchering the spelling, sorry)? I've heard it's good coffee and am curious ( I know I'll have to drive to this place) on your opinions.

Thanks so much!!!

I get to go to Chicago for a few days (June 5-7) and am excited to be staying at The James. But I crave some excellent dessert & coffee and no longer know where to go. :lol: Although I do have a car, I prefer to walk (or can grab dessert to go when I leave on the 7th), as I'm near Water Tower area, I believe. Recommendations please?

Also, is it worth going to Intelligisia (I know I'm butchering the spelling, sorry)? I've heard it's good coffee and am curious ( I know I'll have to drive to this place) on your opinions.

Thanks so much!!!

Intelligensia is certainly great coffee, though it's not where I'd go for dessert in that area. I'd go either to Pops! which is a champagne lounge, or I'd go to oEnology in the Intercontinental hotel which is a chocolate/cheese/wine bar. Also, for really high end desserts you can always go to the bar in NoMi (at the Park Hyatt) for dessert. One final place- Cafe Spiaggia at about 900 N. Michigan, so very close to you, has an amazing Italian doughnut dessert.

I only wish I had more time to go to many of the places recommended here, but it was so good to be back in Chi-town! These past few days I have enjoyed such beautiful, sunny, warm weather (despite the humidity, which is unusual for this time of year, btw). Apologies to jpschust, as I didn't get to make it to your recommended places.

Hotel: I stayed at The James Hotel on 55 E. Ontario St. (Streeterville area). Very conveniently located to a TJs (right across the street!), and very zen modern. Didn't get to hit the noted J Bar (downstairs), which is supposed to be a trendy place to go.

Thursday: Had a pre-arranged dinner with my meeting group at Brasserie Jo on 59 W. Hubbard St. I thought it was funny that it's next to an adult bookstore. The hors d'oeuvres were ok, but typical fare -- nothing spectacular. They had great, warm, soft baguettes, which was the highlight of my meal. Salad was pretty much pieces of lettuce. Attendees could choose between steak, skate wing, or vegetarian crepes for dinner, and I was amongst the lucky ones who chose skate, as 1) the steak looked dry (and tasted flavorless, from what I was told) and 2) the veggie crepes looked unappetizing (and were also a bit bland). The polenta served with the steak looked like firm tofu that you could throw and was left almost untouched by most people who ordered steak. Dessert was freshly made vanilla ice cream with chocolate mousse on the bottom. I thought the mousse was closer to pudding than mousse, unfortunately. I hate to be so negative, as I remember this place getting great reviews a few years ago. Perhaps it was just that night.

Friday: Most of my time was spent in Hyde Park, as I was there for alumni weekend. Had a great cup of iced coffee at Istria Cafe, which serves Intelligensia Coffee. I didn't feel like there was an acidic or bitter aftertaste to this cup, which was a nice break from what I usually encounter. I love the location, since it's pretty neatly under the 57th Street Metra tracks. Must try its gelato next time, which my friend has told me that it's par with the gelato she's had in Italy.

Also hit my fave haunt for Cinnamon Rolls at The Medici Bakery.

Was very lucky to get a late reservation at Blackbird with 2 of my friends. I split a very tasty Suckling Pig appetizer with a friend, whom found out they sous vide the meat, as he was unlucky to get a sliver of the plastic covering used. We were able to enjoy extra dessert for that. My other friend enjoyed a refreshing Stinging Nettle soup as her appetizer. The entrees ordered were the: Grilled Wagyu Flatiron; Grilled California Sturgeon; and Slow-roasted Alaskan Halibut. The combinations of fruits & fish used were very interesting -- there was rhubarb paired with the sturgeon and grapes with the halibut. For dessert, we split the: Kalamata Olive Cake (which was fantastic!); Chocolate Pave (very rich and tasty, although I didn't like the caraway ice cream that accompanied it -- I'm not a fan of that flavor); and the complimentary Meyer Lemon Sorbet with honeyed-granola and pumpkin seeds (I can still taste that flavor!). Mmm. Service was wonderful there -- I haven't had so much fun chit-chatting and feeling so welcomed at a nice restaurant for a long time. The most interesting part of dinner was seeing Pres. candidate/Sen. Barack Obama coming out from the private dining room upstairs and cameramen rushing to take his photo/video footage.

Somehow taking my one friend back to HP and driving back up to wait for the other friend to return a phone call put us past last call for the night. :lol: So, we only got to see the inside of NoMI, but not enjoy its view or second desserts/drinks. Ended up grabbing a beer at the 4am bar at the corner of State and Ontario (forgot the name), and then wandered into the Berry Chill for a post-beer snack. I've never been to a Yogurt bar, so it was kind of cool, new experience. I guess it's frozen yogurt without the extra sugar and has live cultures for the original, plain, yogurt taste. There are 2 additional flavors fo the day + the Original plain, and then it's priced depending on the flavor + number of toppings. I split an Original Small with side toppings of mochi and mango ($4) with my friend, and really enjoyed the chewiness and texture of the mochi. I would go back for the mochi topping.

I miss the city already, but was happy to get my Chinatown fix on the way out, and have time to wander in the wonderful Chicago Architecture Foundation store. was sad to miss The Blues Festival, Ribfest, Printers' Row book sale & HP art festival this weekend. *sigh* Thanks for reading!

was sad to miss ... Ribfest

Don't be. Chicago has two signature styles of BBQ (well, one BBQ and one "BBQ"). The first is epitomized by rib tips and hot links slow-cooked over hardwood in an aquarium smoker. The second is epitomized by mushy baby back ribs that are boiled, slathered in sickly sweet BBQ sauce and slapped on the grill. Ribfest is, I believe, almost exclusively comprised of the latter.

My gf and I are hashing out our options for Chicago next weekend, and she's gotten recommendations about a few places, but searches in this thread aren't turning up anything and it's making me nervous about whether or not these places are worthwhile. Any info about Coco Pazzo, Copper Blue, Saloon and Le Colonial would be greatly appreciated.

I had a nice lunch at Coco Pazzo during my last trip to Chicago. It was a nice meal, but nothing ground breaking. If you have a hankering for Italian, go to Spiaggia.

Or Spiaggia Cafe, if you aren't up for the full-on fine dining experience.

Walked up to Map Room - awesome beer bar, everything I had heard it would be. Alpha King on Tap!

We were in Chicago last weekend, and I was really excited to find out that the Map Room was right around the corner from the restaurant where my brother-in-law works (Hot Chocolate; don't be put off by the dessert-oriented theme here. The menu is seasonal and really, really well done.). Anyway, I was pretty disappointed with the Map Room aside from Midwest brews that just aren't distributed on the East Coast. Don't know what I was expecting, but I wasn't blown away. Being able to get 3 Floyds on tap again was nice. The bottle list looked pretty good, heavy on the Belgians. Atmosphere in the place was great, though.

Here's the wrap-up on the weekend's Chicago trip. What a great town, I loved visiting there and hope to return soon.

Friday:

Arrived in Chicago and proceeded back to my gf's hotel in Greektown, and I was starving, so we stopped by local cafe Artopolis to get some food before we ran off to the Art Institute and dinner later that night. Artopolis had some nice single serving pitas that are reminiscent of the various pitas that you can get at any corner bakery in Greece. Had one with ham and cheese and the puff pastry was pretty good and fluffy, while the filling was perfectly decent but clearly nothing special. After our museum trip and a chance to catch my breath, we headed up to Kuma's Corner near Avondale (if Google Maps is right...). The primary reason I wanted to go to this place is because it's essentially a metal bar that serves sandwiches named after metal bands. I'm sorry, but there's no way I'm NOT going to go somewhere that celebrates eating and metal, two of my favorite things in the world. So, upon arriving, we were dismayed to see that it was packed, but we put our names down and went inside to get a beer. They have a pretty damn good selection, and actually quite reasonably priced, so thumbs up to that. While I was drinking my Fin Du Monde, the tattooed hostess told us that the wait would probably be a bit shorter than the initial 1+ hour she quoted because most people were either scared off by the wait time or they wanted to sit outside. However, because I wanted to sit inside and enjoy the awesome soundtrack, we were able to get a table quickly. However, it should be noted that Kuma's has a tiny kitchen, so we waited close to an hour to get our food. Br00tal. However, I ordered the High On Fire sandwich with chicken breast, partially because HoF is one of my favorite bands and also because the sandwich involved Sriracha, roasted repper, sweet chili paste, grilled pineapple, and prosciutto. Needless to say, it was hot, hot, hot. The sandwich was pretty good and was served on a pretzel roll, but it was basically above average pub food, with the exception of the lousy fries. However, the real reason to go is that Kuma's a really fun, non-pretentious pub and they actually played a song by my sandwich's namesake while I was eating. Totally moshing.

Saturday:

Quick bagel grab before a long day of running around the downtown loop area and catching the awesome architectural boat tour. Once we wrapped that up, we walked over to the Hancock building to head up to the lounge to grab a drink and a bite. This involved the world's most expensive crappy grilled cheese. You pay for the view.

However, dinner totally made up for that. Dinner at Sola was truly excellent. A very Hawaiian and Pacific-influenced menu backed up by excellent service hit all the right notes. The lady and I's appetizers were a bacon & pineapple salad and artichoke fritters respectively, and the mains were pork, two ways and barramundi respectively. My main consisted of bacon-wrapped tenderloin and braised cheeks on a golden beet and pineapple puree (I think). This was pork worship that would make Eric D/ferment everything lose his mind. Truly great stuff, and the cooling Hawaiian flavors were really excellent for a warm summer night. The split dessert of a taffy apple pie was very nice, but nothing that was blowing minds. But overall, I loved Sola and I even spotted Dale from Top Chef Season 3 working there.

Sunday:

A quick brunch at Greektown local joint Meli Cafe was a great last bite with hyper-efficient service. We're talking super-quick turnover and an exceptonally fast line operation in the kitchen. A hearty turkey & scrambled egg sandwich on multi-grain toast was perfect for a tasty Sunday brunch to hold me over til I got back home.

However, the real reason to go is that Kuma's a really fun, non-pretentious pub and they actually played a song by my sandwich's namesake while I was eating. Totally moshing.

Though I have not been, what's earned them the rep and the crowds are the burgers, which are supposed to be flat-out fantastic -- for future reference :-)

Though I have not been, what's earned them the rep and the crowds are the burgers, which are supposed to be flat-out fantastic -- for future reference :-)

Well, just so you know, I definitely saw what appeared to be frozen, pre-packaged burgers going on the grill, but I should note that I say sandwiches because you have the option of having a burger, grilled chicken breast, chicken tenders, or garden burger as the meat of the sandwich. I actually opted for grilled chicken because I was just not feeling a burger that night.

You should still go to Kuma's though but clearly not at peak hours!

Well, just so you know, I definitely saw what appeared to be frozen, pre-packaged burgers going on the grill, but I should note that I say sandwiches because you have the option of having a burger, grilled chicken breast, chicken tenders, or garden burger as the meat of the sandwich. I actually opted for grilled chicken because I was just not feeling a burger that night.

Hmmm... that they use frozen veggie burgers is well-documented, but one of the things people praise about Kuma's is that they'll actually cook to requested temperature rather than going through the farce of asking and then cooking however they damn well please (and most seem to feel they usually hit their target, right down to borderline raw), and there's been a lot of discussion recently about slight changes in the size of the patty -- neither of which would seem possible with a pre-packaged frozen patty. Not to mention which, some of the folks who have been Kuma's most vocal supporters are those who have done some research into why the frozen patty otherwise dominates Chicago's burger scene (meatpacking history, and all), and have made it a quest to find great fresh burgers around town.

To be clear, I don't know the answer. But I do know that a revelation like that would shock an awful lot of people who, generally speaking, know what they're talking about. Are you sure it wasn't a run of veggie burgers? I feel silly writing this having never even been there, but I know so many who love it that I feel compelled to raise the question by proxy :-)

Hmmm... that they use frozen veggie burgers is well-documented, but one of the things people praise about Kuma's is that they'll actually cook to requested temperature rather than going through the farce of asking and then cooking however they damn well please (and most seem to feel they usually hit their target, right down to borderline raw), and there's been a lot of discussion recently about slight changes in the size of the patty -- neither of which would seem possible with a pre-packaged frozen patty. Not to mention which, some of the folks who have been Kuma's most vocal supporters are those who have done some research into why the frozen patty otherwise dominates Chicago's burger scene (meatpacking history, and all), and have made it a quest to find great fresh burgers around town.

To be clear, I don't know the answer. But I do know that a revelation like that would shock an awful lot of people who, generally speaking, know what they're talking about. Are you sure it wasn't a run of veggie burgers? I feel silly writing this having never even been there, but I know so many who love it that I feel compelled to raise the question by proxy :-)

From what I could tell, these appeared to be red beef patties. HOWEVER, I'm not discounting the possibility that they may very well have been a run of garden burgers and I was unable to truly distinguish them from beef patties in the dark light. Whatever the case, a further investigation by any Chicago locals would be well warranted.

I'm not much of a cocktail drinker, but I really enjoyed The Drawing Room. The cocktails are prepared tableside, using a rolling bar cart thing. Our bartender was a friendly guy who explained what he was doing and how they had come up with the recipes. He was very knowledgeable about the cocktail scene in the US (we chatted a bit about PX)

Sepia was decent, but we weren't blown away or anything. The flatbreads and the appetizers were disappointing, but my Cod with Saffron Noodles and Boar Sausage was pretty great, as was a huge Berkshire Pork Chop. Our great waiter steered us towards a white Burgundy that was a steal for the price.

Hot Doug's was closed for the weekend-- a crushing disappointment!

The best meal ended up being lunch at the tiny Table 52. Chef Art Smith was Oprah's personal chef. Forget whatever you think about that, though-- this was some fantastic southern cooking. The goat cheese biscuits, brought to each table in a cast iron skillet fresh from the oven, were one of the best things I've had this year. He's supposed to be opening a place here in DC soon.

I'm not much of a cocktail drinker, but I really enjoyed The Drawing Room.

It sounds like an interesting place. Did you just walk in or did you have a reservation? I'm wondering how easy it is to just walk in, maybe early in the evening. Also, is it more like a restaurant where you're expected to order food or would it be ok just to order cocktails?

It sounds like an interesting place. Did you just walk in or did you have a reservation? I'm wondering how easy it is to just walk in, maybe early in the evening. Also, is it more like a restaurant where you're expected to order food or would it be ok just to order cocktails?
We were able to walk in and grab a table at about 9pm on a Saturday. Definitely looks like they get busier as it gets later. They had no problem with us just sitting down to drinks. Food did look pretty good, though: small plates done by Shawn McClain (chef at Green Zebra, Spring, and others).

From what I could tell, these appeared to be red beef patties. HOWEVER, I'm not discounting the possibility that they may very well have been a run of garden burgers and I was unable to truly distinguish them from beef patties in the dark light. Whatever the case, a further investigation by any Chicago locals would be well warranted.

Just a little postscript on this question... though I don't know from whence comes this information, word is that the beef is fresh, it is not ground on the premises, but the patties are formed on the premises:

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f...a&start=480

And the patties shown in the photos clearly aren't pre-formed.

Does anyone here have any recommendations for somewhere in Chicago for NYE? I have reservations at North Pond, but was hoping to go to one of the better BYOB spots and bring some of my wine. Bonsoiree and Schwa are booked/closed. Something along those lines or anywhere in Chicago that reminds you of Komi. Cuisine doesn't matter, and prefer cost to be ~$100 per person for tasting menu, or a la carte. Thanks.

Does anyone here have any recommendations for somewhere in Chicago for NYE? I have reservations at North Pond, but was hoping to go to one of the better BYOB spots and bring some of my wine. Bonsoiree and Schwa are booked/closed. Something along those lines or anywhere in Chicago that reminds you of Komi. Cuisine doesn't matter, and prefer cost to be ~$100 per person for tasting menu, or a la carte. Thanks.
They may allow you to bring for corkage, but I'd try Sola- it's a favorite of mine. Even if they don't allow you to bring, their list is VERY good and reasonably priced.

heading to Chicago for the weekend. We are stating in Rosemont and am looking for suggestions. Where can I get a great chicago dog? We want to have a dinner in the city and one not far from Rosemont. We will have a car.

Bourdain apparently stopped at Hot Doug's (I haven't seen the episode), which will probably make it even more of a mob scene than usual.

heading to Chicago for the weekend. We are stating in Rosemont and am looking for suggestions. Where can I get a great chicago dog? We want to have a dinner in the city and one not far from Rosemont. We will have a car.

Hot Doug's is good, for their 'gourmet' dogs, if you will. Superdawg is a classic, on Devon and Milwaukee [if you're driving from Rosemont into the city/north side, it's on the way].

Well, you have a few great options right nearby. They're not exactly in the heart of things, though at least one is technically within the city limits.

First up, you have Superdawg. This is very close to Rosemont and it's a ton of fun, if somewhat controversial among Chicago hot dog junkies. It's one of the oldest stands in the city, but it's somewhat non-canonical. Though they use pickled green tomato rather than fresh tomato, the main point of contention is that it's a skinless dog, which is borderline offensive to some hardcore purists (even if Superdawg has been around a few decades longer than other stalwarts of the canonical dog). All of the other elements are in place. Strictly canonical or not, though, it's a great dog and the place is a trip. The website will illustrate it far better than I could.

Another stalwart that isn't too far away is Gene & Jude's, which is in river grove. Gene & Jude's is also something of a lightning rod of controversy, as it's one of the most favored spots of the "minimal" Chicago-style dog enthusiasts. The whole "garden on a bun" thing is actually a rather recent invention, which seems to have standardized sometime in the mid-'70s. But many feel that this was as much a creation of Vienna marketing -- wanting to sell more condiments -- as it was a natural evolution. Most of the really old school hot dog stands, and really just about all of those that have been around since the '50s, dress their dogs solely with onion, mustard, possibly relish and the optional sport peppers. This is what Gene & Jude's does, and they're one of the best at it. Their dog is a natural casing Vienna beef frank. Incidentally, there's noplace to sit at Gene & Jude's if that's important... unless you count the hood of your car. But there are counters for standing.

If you want the new standard (which, at the risk of getting uber-nerdy about it, I usually call the Vienna/Royko standard), which is the whole natural casing Vienna beef, poppyseed bun, mustard, onion, neon green relish, tomato slices, pickle spear and optional celery salt and sport peppers (even if only a small percentage of Chicago dog stands actually serve it this way), frankly (no pun intended) one of the best and easiest options is to hit one of the Portillo's locations, which are strewn all over the city and suburbs. It's a chain (if a local one), and they lack the charm of some of the hole in the wall joints, but they make a great dog and many a hardcore Chicago food nerd will defend them despite their ubiquity.

Alternatively, a solid rendition can be had at Hot Doug's, which you may have heard of. Hot Doug's has the benefit of also being a great stop for his specialty sausages (check the weekly specials on the website), they have duck fat fries on Fridays and Saturdays, and Doug is just an awesome guy. Another upside is that it's just off the Kennedy (interstate 90/94), so it'll be an easy stop coming in from Rosemont. Downside is you'll wait. Outside. In the cold.

There are a lot of other favorites strewn about the city. Here's a good thread at LTH on the subject:

Chicago Hot Dogs for Tourists

Oh, and incidentally, if you're only going to get one of Chicago's holy trinity of downscale food (dog/pizza/beef), I say skip the dog and get an Italian Beef... I think there's a bit upthread on this already, but I'm always happy to revisit that subject :-)

Great ideas, what about a dinner place, med price for a Friday near Rosemont? Google returned Nick Fishmarket (which I think I have been too), but I bet there are better choices. I am sure there are plenty of places upthread for the city (which we want to hit Saturday night).

Rosemont's a tough area for dinners out. There are plenty of options, but they tend to be of the run-of-the-mill expense account variety. Perfectly good, but nothing exciting.

If you don't want to truck into the city, I have one really good recommendation a short drive away. Smak-Tak is potentially the best Polish restaurant in the city, and given that Chicago's Polish populaton is second only to Warsaw, that's saying something. It's a cozy, casual little place run by friendly folks. Everything is massive and delicious. As I said earlier, it's the kind of place that makes you rethink using "meat and potatoes" as a pejorative. Outstanding pierogi, smoky hunter's stew, fabulous soups, killer liver and onions when they have it (a special)... my favorite is probably the Hungarian style pancake. Thick, crisp potato pancake folded over and stuffed with a spicy, rich goulash and topped with cream. The menu undersells the place, and their photography doesn't help (their pictures are rather sterile... the food is most certainly not). It may not look like much, but trust me, it's shockingly good. It's awfully casual for occasion dining, but I can't imagine a better Chicago thing than some great homey Polish on a cold winter's night.

Oh, and BTW, it occurs to me that Johnnie's is also a short drive from where you'll be. That's the benchmark for the most traditional style of Italian Beef in Chicago. Again, no seating -- just a very crowded counter and picnic tables outside. But this is my singlemost highly recommended of Chicago's downscale foods. Be sure to get it hot and dipped if you go.

Forgive me if I'm misremembering, but aren't new restaurants (such as Rick Tramonto's) in Wheeling these days? It'll be a short drive from Rosemont. Plus, there's the timeless seafood of Bob Chinn's in Wheeling, where it's fresh (although not as good as it used to be...) and busy and a blast.

But, I still recommend Chinatown. If you go for dim sum, Happy Chef is the place to go and Joy Yee's for bubble drinks after (or you can eat there too, but the menu is overwhelming).

ETA: Oh, and if you miss home, there's now a Super H Mart out near the city (I forgot the neighborhood it's in) with a nice food court.

Ok, I'm going to be a bit cheesy and recommend that you take the Blue line into the city and take a romantic walk down Michigan Avenue toward Water Tower Place. If you can, stop by The Chicago Architecture Foundation for a walking tour (or downtown tour, given the season) and take in the real Chicago. On the way, stop by the cheesy popcorn place and buy an expensive bag of Caramel popcorn to share. Don't forget to stop in the Art Institute for an afternoon of the best Impressionist collection ever. Once you walk to Water Tower place area, stop for a drink inside the John Hancock tower in the Signature room or one of the nearby hotels (such as the Hyatt) for a bar with a view. Before you walk down there, don't forget to take a picture of you two at the Bean in Millennium Park. That's what I like to do downtown at least....

Forgive me if I'm misremembering, but aren't new restaurants (such as Rick Tramonto's) in Wheeling these days? It'll be a short drive from Rosemont. Plus, there's the timeless seafood of Bob Chinn's in Wheeling, where it's fresh (although not as good as it used to be...) and busy and a blast.

True, but none of the above are anything you couldn't get anywhere else, Tramonto's included (though I base the latter on heresay).

Well, you have a few great options right nearby. They're not exactly in the heart of things, though at least one is technically within the city limits.

First up, you have Superdawg. This is very close to Rosemont and it's a ton of fun, if somewhat controversial among Chicago hot dog junkies. It's one of the oldest stands in the city, but it's somewhat non-canonical. Though they use pickled green tomato rather than fresh tomato, the main point of contention is that it's a skinless dog, which is borderline offensive to some hardcore purists (even if Superdawg has been around a few decades longer than other stalwarts of the canonical dog). All of the other elements are in place. Strictly canonical or not, though, it's a great dog and the place is a trip. The website will illustrate it far better than I could.

Another stalwart that isn't too far away is Gene & Jude's, which is in river grove. Gene & Jude's is also something of a lightning rod of controversy, as it's one of the most favored spots of the "minimal" Chicago-style dog enthusiasts. The whole "garden on a bun" thing is actually a rather recent invention, which seems to have standardized sometime in the mid-'70s. But many feel that this was as much a creation of Vienna marketing -- wanting to sell more condiments -- as it was a natural evolution. Most of the really old school hot dog stands, and really just about all of those that have been around since the '50s, dress their dogs solely with onion, mustard, possibly relish and the optional sport peppers. This is what Gene & Jude's does, and they're one of the best at it. Their dog is a natural casing Vienna beef frank. Incidentally, there's noplace to sit at Gene & Jude's if that's important... unless you count the hood of your car. But there are counters for standing.

If you want the new standard (which, at the risk of getting uber-nerdy about it, I usually call the Vienna/Royko standard), which is the whole natural casing Vienna beef, poppyseed bun, mustard, onion, neon green relish, tomato slices, pickle spear and optional celery salt and sport peppers (even if only a small percentage of Chicago dog stands actually serve it this way), frankly (no pun intended) one of the best and easiest options is to hit one of the Portillo's locations, which are strewn all over the city and suburbs. It's a chain (if a local one), and they lack the charm of some of the hole in the wall joints, but they make a great dog and many a hardcore Chicago food nerd will defend them despite their ubiquity.

Alternatively, a solid rendition can be had at Hot Doug's, which you may have heard of. Hot Doug's has the benefit of also being a great stop for his specialty sausages (check the weekly specials on the website), they have duck fat fries on Fridays and Saturdays, and Doug is just an awesome guy. Another upside is that it's just off the Kennedy (interstate 90/94), so it'll be an easy stop coming in from Rosemont. Downside is you'll wait. Outside. In the cold.

There are a lot of other favorites strewn about the city. Here's a good thread at LTH on the subject:

Chicago Hot Dogs for Tourists

Oh, and incidentally, if you're only going to get one of Chicago's holy trinity of downscale food (dog/pizza/beef), I say skip the dog and get an Italian Beef... I think there's a bit upthread on this already, but I'm always happy to revisit that subject :-)

The exception to that rule is that there's a Gibson's in Rosemont. One of the better steaks in a steak town!

I know this is non-responsive, but, seriously, drive to the south side (311 E. 75th Street) and get an order of rib tips with mild sauce (or a small end) from Lem's bbq. Drive back to your hotel, open the sauce-soaked paper bag and enjoy. You will smell the smoke two blocks away from Lem's, and, depending on when you go, there may be a line. Be assertive when you place your order, kinda like you have to do at Eastern Market. Tell them you are from DC and they will love you.

I know this is non-responsive, but, seriously, drive to the south side (311 E. 75th Street) and get an order of rib tips with mild sauce (or a small end) from Lem's bbq. Drive back to your hotel, open the sauce-soaked paper bag and enjoy. You will smell the smoke two blocks away from Lem's, and, depending on when you go, there may be a line. Be assertive when you place your order, kinda like you have to do at Eastern Market. Tell them you are from DC and they will love you.

Or, far more accessible from Rosemont, of the same genre and arguably as good as Lem's, hit Honey 1 for the same... plus links :-)

(Don't misunderstand, Halloween -- Lem's is a great suggestion and I'm not trying to undercut it. Just trying to provide an alternative Chicago-style BBQ joint of comparable quality that Scott is more likely to get to, given his location.)

Or, far more accessible from Rosemont, of the same genre and arguably as good as Lem's, hit Honey 1 for the same... plus links :-)

(Don't misunderstand, Halloween -- Lem's is a great suggestion and I'm not trying to undercut it. Just trying to provide an alternative Chicago-style BBQ joint of comparable quality that Scott is more likely to get to, given his location.)

No misunderstanding, Dominic. :P I grew up on the south side, so I'm recommending what I know and love. I've never had Honey 1.

So I'm in Chicago for the month on business, living in the Lakeview area (Belmont and Lakewood), and was wondering what's in the area that I shouldn't miss. I'm at work for most of the day (and night), so I don't have a lot of time, but I'd like to hit some of the highlights while I'm here.

Slim pickings in that area. You're kind of straddling the line between Wrigleyville and Lincoln Park there, which means there are a ton of restaurants nearby, but most of them completely forgettable if not terrible. There are some gems nearby, though, even if they aren't in the immediate area. But presuming you're looking for stuff that isn't too far away, here are some of my favorites:

First off, one of my absolute musts for the city is close by. TAC Quick is about a mile from that intersection, and it's one of the best Thai places in the city. I made a mention of it upthread with a number of dish recommendations. Do not, under any circumstances, miss it, and be sure to ask for "Erik's Menu", which is Erik M's translation of the Thai specialties, rather than the typical Americanized Thai items. If you're loving that and want to try another great nearby option while you have the chance, Aroy Thai, a few doors to the north, is also pretty awesome. I believe Erik did a translation for them, but I'm not sure if they make it available or not. If you're interested, drop me a line or post to the thread and I'll look up what I have for them. But TAC first.

One place I haven't been but about which I've heard remarkable things is Terragusto for Italian. Apparently they have a lot of weird rules, are kinda pricey and will lecture you like you're a child, but the food makes it worthwhile. Similarly, I hear very good things about Tango Sur, though I can't speak from experience.

A couple of miles west is Hot Doug's Sausage Superstore and Encased Meat Emporium, also mentioned upthread. Standard menu is good, but the weekly specials are where it's at. The man is also a foodie folk hero for basically giving the finger to the Chicago City Council during the whole foie gras debacle. (He fought the law and the law won, but he made his point and probably played a part in getting the ban overturned).

Not that you're looking for cheesesteakes in Chicago, I imagine, but you have a really good one right there at Philly's Best on Belmont.

Spacca Napoli, home to exceptional uber-traditional Neapolitan pizza, is about a mile and a half up Ashland. One of my favorite spots in the city, hands down.

Weiner Circle makes some pretty fine Chicago-style dogs, and late on drinking nights, they're home to a tradition so weird and creepy, it was heavily featured on an episode of This American Life. The ladies working the counter are all African American, in the middle of a white bread neighborhood where the frat boys come to get a dog after getting hammered. At some point, they start insulting each other. For many, it's the only reason they go. And the later it gets, the nastier and more racially charged it gets. In theory, it's all a big schtick. But even though, on the surface, everybody is "just joking", not everybody really is. And that's what makes it creepy. And controversial. Good dogs, though, and great cheese fries if you're into the Merkt's cheddar kind. Total grease bomb.

Best suggestions off the top of my head.