Chicago, IL

Walrus

Oh... one addendum in case you get to TAC... there's currently a special dish there that Tony (the prorpietor) is making with a curry mix that Erik blended up, and it's supposed to be a very interesting southern Thai treat. The Roti Kaeng Karii Neau is a Muslim-style beef curry with sweet potatoes, I believe, and it won't be around for long. Erik only made so much curry :-)

Kuma's Corner near Avondale (if Google Maps is right...). The primary reason I wanted to go to this place is because it's essentially a metal bar that serves sandwiches named after metal bands. I'm sorry, but there's no way I'm NOT going to go somewhere that celebrates eating and metal, two of my favorite things in the world.........it should be noted that Kuma's has a tiny kitchen, so we waited close to an hour to get our food. Br00tal. However, I ordered the High On Fire sandwich with chicken breast, partially because HoF is one of my favorite bands and also because the sandwich involved Sriracha, roasted repper, sweet chili paste, grilled pineapple, and prosciutto. Needless to say, it was hot, hot, hot. The sandwich was pretty good and was served on a pretzel roll, but it was basically above average pub food, with the exception of the lousy fries. However, the real reason to go is that Kuma's a really fun, non-pretentious pub and they actually played a song by my sandwich's namesake while I was eating. Totally moshing.

Was in Chicago last week and ventured out to Kuma's. I'd generally agree with the above poster. Even on a BRUTALLY cold Tuesday night they were busy, with an estimated 1 hour wait for a table. We managed to snag some seats at the bar after about 10 minutes so were lucky. One thing that really stood out for me was the staff - they were some of the most delightful people I have ever come in total contrast to say, the staff at The Big Hunt who are a bunch of surly, unrepentant jerks (not some random slam - I see them as similar outfits in different cities). Burger (Bongzilla, how the hell am I gonna get that one past accounting?) took forever and was good but cooked a little more than I had indicated. Beer was outstanding, I had a 3 Floyds something or other, a local imperial stout, and Big Bear stout. Overall vibe was just great - music was incredible and the advantage of sitting at the bar was they took requests, so munched away to the sounds of Big Black, Ministry and Minor Threat among others. :P

Hi everyone,

I wanted to bump this up because I am heading to Chicago for Memorial Day weekend and would love some suggestions. I am meeting a friend there and are looking for dinners along with some inexpensive lunches and bakeries/snack shops. For dinner we would be looking for restaurants at price points up to that of Central. I looked through the thread and sola looks promising. Has anyone eaten there lately? My friend doesn't eat red meat or pork so that restricts us somewhat. Its our first trip to Chicago and we are both really excited to visit (and eat!)

Thanks everyone for recent reviews/suggestions!

Was in Chicago last week and ventured out to Kuma's. I'd generally agree with the above poster. Even on a BRUTALLY cold Tuesday night they were busy, with an estimated 1 hour wait for a table. We managed to snag some seats at the bar after about 10 minutes so were lucky. One thing that really stood out for me was the staff - they were some of the most delightful people I have ever come in total contrast to say, the staff at The Big Hunt who are a bunch of surly, unrepentant jerks (not some random slam - I see them as similar outfits in different cities). Burger (Bongzilla, how the hell am I gonna get that one past accounting?) took forever and was good but cooked a little more than I had indicated. Beer was outstanding, I had a 3 Floyds something or other, a local imperial stout, and Big Bear stout. Overall vibe was just great - music was incredible and the advantage of sitting at the bar was they took requests, so munched away to the sounds of Big Black, Ministry and Minor Threat among others. :rolleyes:

Oh man, was there about a month ago. We had to wait over an hour on a saturday night, but it was worth it.

I got Lair of the Minotaur [Caramelized Onions, Pancetta, Brie, Bourbon Soaked Pears]. Man was it good. The pears were a nice touch. Best burger I've had outside of Ray's [although Ann's Snacks Bar in Decatur, GA is up there, too].

Spent three days and night in Chicago this weekend. Thought a synopsis might help some people looking for good food.

Day 1

National Car Rental SUCKS. Eventually we got out. Straight to Hot Doug's. Since there was a Cubs game soon, the line snaked two blocks and our hunger drove us to UrbanBelly three blocks away. Trendy well designed place, very small, counter service, really good food, great variety (three different types of dumplings were all very different). Next, off to Pequod's for a great deep dish pie. This place used to be owned by Burt of Burt's Place but is more user friendly in that you don't have to preorder your pizza and drive to Morton Grove to get it. Soon after we headed to dinner at Mado, a BYO in Wicker Park. They are trying hard to be pork and offal centric and homemade stuff. Boquerones rocked, headcheese, beef hearts and most of the other dishes would have with the judicious use of acid, as they are they are pretty good, very interesting, albeit a bit flat. Absinthe at the Absinthe Cafe was absinthe that couldn't have been served in a inappropriate glassware. Upon questioning the bartender told us she thought the correct glasses, which they have, are too thin. Whatever. We paused a moment, and headed to Duchamp, on Damen. A great, vibrant setting. Great , Friendly bartender. Food was pretty good, but might have been too simplified for it's own good (apparently the chef's idea - stuff like "we only fry our fries once, so they taste more like potatoes") They should really think about giving up a little "potato flavor" for a little "potato crispness". Their competition, The Bristol is a block away. They do it all a bit better. Better fitted out and even more packed and vibrant. We ate some things upstairs. Cool, warehousey space, with nice, a bit aloof service. Beers on tap were great, and the duckfat fries were what you are lookin for. Menu was spot on and they will get a future visit. We exchanged stories about getting punched by women and decided we were done for the night.

Day 2

early morning trip to the Maxwell Street Market. Not what it once was but easier to navigate now and the Eye Tacos and tube socks are still there. Did have some Oaxacan Tacos that performed like lead weights in retrospect. However, our consomme saved the day and warded off hangovers without resorting to Menudo. We outfitted ourselves with Luchador Masks and headed to Cemitas Puebla on various recommendations, including Guy Fieri (His picture is up next to the door). We were left unimpressed with Guy's Choices, we wont be back. It is only 30 Blocks on the same street to Johnnie's Italian Beef so off we went. Still my favorite Beef in Chicago. and the Lemon Ice on the drive back to the hotel puts you in a perfect place for a moment. After a nap, we met a friend at Emilio's in Lincoln park for some underwhelming Tapas ( their Paella looked really good however in its 4 foot pan). Then we moved on to L20 for dinner. WOW!. the space is beautiful. The service seemless, efficient and not pretentious in the least, and the food was mostly stunning. Foie Gras doesn't need 4 quarts of cotton candy, Hamachi Shabu Shabu a bit silly. Otherwise, some of the best food I have had in a long time. Sashimi plate was perfect, as was the papparedelle, smoked salmon, lamb tartar and many others. You get the idea. We got tour of the kitchen a it was stunning as was expected by this point. They are on all cylinders now. Ming Tsai at one table Daniel Boulud at another so the people watching for foodies is good. After that drinks at Ravens, a 4 am bar nearby, was a riotous time accompanied by Toxic Avenger playing behind the bar.

Day 3

Finally made it to the food show for more than an hour, so I can write part of this all off. Then Publican for intermittant service while sitting in the stupidest, almost claustropia inducing booth. The booths close as if it was a log flume ride, giving you an unnecessary isolated feel in an otherwise empty at 4pm space. pork rinds weren't finished due to their noxious citric and spice powder topping. Mussels okay. Charcuterie well done. Perennial is only a few blocks away. we had some tastey snacks (fried chorizo stuffed olives were great, bocadillos good), and the drinks were right. Off to Kuma's Corner. This place is a must visit. The vibe and energy is really special here, The burger lineup impressive. And the guys cooking put on quite a manic show. I do happen to like heavy Metal so the music works. The burger itself wasn't so hot, overworked meat and underseasoned. But the scene is to be visited. Finally we ended up at Bistro Campagne a great place that does bistro classics in a comfortable setting. Chicken and Marrow dishes were spot on, and the mac and cheese could be some of the best ever.

At this point we were done.

We outfitted ourselves with Luchador Masks and headed to Cemitas Puebla on various recommendations, including Guy Fieri (His picture is up next to the door). We were left unimpressed with Guy's Choices, we wont be back.

I'm sorry to hear that Cemitas Puebla didn't do it for you. Their cemita milanesa is one of the best sandwiches I've had of any kind anywhere, especially when the papalo is in season. Beautifully constructed, made with incredible care and attention to detail, explosive flavors and textures. But I've heard reports that they've been a little inconsistent in the wake of DD&D. Yet another reason to detest Poochie -- er -- Guy Fieri, I suppose.

Finally we ended up at Bistro Campagne a great place that does bistro classics in a comfortable setting. Chicken and Marrow dishes were spot on, and the mac and cheese could be some of the best ever.

At this point we were done.

Glad you enjoyed it! Chef Michael Altenberg is my cousin's brother-in-law. Enjoyed his Evanston Italian restaurant, Campagnola, and now Bistro Campagne. He opened up an organic pizza place that I have yet to get to.

Glad you enjoyed it! Chef Michael Altenberg is my cousin's brother-in-law. Enjoyed his Evanston Italian restaurant, Campagnola, and now Bistro Campagne. He opened up an organic pizza place that I have yet to get to.

Went to the organic pizza joint last year, it was really good. Food was first rate , service was as well. but Hell if I can remember the name. Haven't made the Evanston location yet, looking forward to it.

I'm sorry to hear that Cemitas Puebla didn't do it for you. Their cemita milanesa is one of the best sandwiches I've had of any kind anywhere, especially when the papalo is in season. Beautifully constructed, made with incredible care and attention to detail, explosive flavors and textures. But I've heard reports that they've been a little inconsistent in the wake of DD&D. Yet another reason to detest Poochie -- er -- Guy Fieri, I suppose.

We got the Cemita Atomica and the Arabe. I liked the idea of the sandwiches but, honestly, the bun was stale (it was a Sunday) and the explosive flavors were lacking. I really wanted to like it but it just didn't jump out at us.

Went to the organic pizza joint last year, it was really good. Food was first rate , service was as well. but Hell if I can remember the name. Haven't made the Evanston location yet, looking forward to it.

He sold off Campagnola before owning Bistro Campagne. I believe Campagnola is still in Evanston, though I haven't been under the new ownership.

Yeah, I couldn't remember the name of the pizza place, either. There are just way too many neapolitan-style places these days.

I looked it up. I was thinking it was Slice, but it's Crust.

The parking situation downtown has gotten progressively worse over the years, with strange signs like "15 minute loading zone, flashing lights on, park diagonally," which was what I did when I did a quick 11:45pm run to Fox & Obel. A market similar to Whole Foods, but not enough time to explore due to parking difficulties (although there is parking garage with complimentary parking, I couldn't find the entrance) and the fact that they close at midnight, the only thing I could quickly grab was their Chocolate Brut, a very dense, super-dark-chocolaty cake with caramel sauce on the bottom. For $4.75, it was super-rich, but not bad. I went there as a poor substitute because I got too lazy to drive up to Damen Avenue to try Mindy's Hot Chocolate, desserts by Chef Segal I wanted to try based on her pastry work at MK.

I am glad to see the LaSalle Street near Rock n' Roll McDonalds becoming less scuzzy or dangerous, especially with a trendy addition like Martini Park. I didn't get a chance to visit, as they were closing early on the Thursday night at 1am when I visited (2am closing time), the modern interior and loud music should attract the appropriate crowd on better economic days.

Two places I never tried while I lived in Chicago, always meant to, and now shouldn't be on anyone's radar except for nostalgia's sake are: The Signature Room and Lounge (95th and 96th Floors of The John Hancock Building) and Harry Caray's. The Signature Lounge still has a magnificent view, but the interior has become outdated and tired feeling, as evident by our server, who looks like she was lifted from Alice's Diner. The wine list was rather poor and watered-down tasting, while the cocktails were really syrupy, as if poured from bottle mixes. I shouldn't be so hard on Harry Caray's, as the service was wonderful and the homemade pasta did taste homemade, but the offerings were of the typical pastas, steaks and chops.

Also of the trendy front was Pops for Champagne, a very popular and busy Champagne bar that was packed to the hilt on a recent Friday night. There's also a jazz club downstairs. Champagne by the glass came in 3 or 5oz pours, ranging from $8 for a 3oz pour to $22 for a 5oz pour. I chose a decent Prosecco for $12, 5oz pour and also ordered a small plate of Manchego (1oz wedge, if I recall correctly) with 4-5 pieces of flatbread for $5 or $7. Unfortunately, the flatbread was the highlight of the snack.

One other trendy place that I would like to try is the Roof at The Wit hotel. There was a sizable line I was too impatient to wait in, but will try another time someday based on the photos taken of the space.

I was very happy to try a college friend's cupcakery, Sugar Bliss Cake Boutique, with a super-cute storefront on N. Wabash Avenue, between Washington and Randolph, I believe. My nieces and nephew really enjoyed the mini-bites offered.

Finally, I attempted to stop by the Green City market, but again, parking and traffic made things impossible, but it certainly looked lively there.

I definitely wished I had more time to explore the various places, but meetings put damper on that. I really miss the city now that the sun's out and everyone is coming out of hibernation, as evinced by the laughter and sounds from Millennium Park.

Last week brought yet another trip to Chicago, and I endeavored to make the most of my time there, eating and drinking wise. Biggest take away, Chicago is turning into quite the beer mecca, and Chicagoans are still the nicest people in America.

Monday lunch brought me to State and Lake, at the new Wit hotel. Its a nice space with what I would describe as a somewhat 'mainstream', but still good, microbrew selection (Dogfish 60, Anderson Valley, Old Rasputin, Allagash). They did have Three Floyds Alpha King but the hit of the meal for me was a Two Brothers Country Ale. Food wise I went for a short rib panini w/ blue cheese. Decent but very very rich.

Monday evening led me to the bar at Graham Elliot. I had never heard of this guy until Top Chef Masters and was impressed with what he did on the show so decided to give it a try. Spent a nice few hours trying out a few different apps (a divine Wagyu beef tartare and an earthy snail and morel mushroom puff pastry thingy) and chatting with the friendly staff, while having a few cocktails and more good local brews, Flywheel lager and somethign else (Thanks Lynn!).

Tuesday I made the pilgrimage to Hot Dougs. About 40 people in line at 3 on a Tuesday afternoon. Mr Hot Doug cheerily taking orders up front. Not going to add too much to what already been said about this place. I had the foie gras, sauternes and duck sausage and another killer pork one.

Tuesday night meant The Map Room. Arrived too late for the free grub so upon a barmans recommendation ordered take out from Cafe LaGuardia and ate at the bar. This was the most pleasant surprise of the week as the food was just fantastic, including a great Red Snapper dish. The Map Room itself was awesome and I ended up basically closing the place rocking out to loads of punk and hardcore with the staff (including a former Jay Reatard guitarist!). Beers consumed somewhat hazy but included, Duvel Green, Two Brothers Hop Juice, a great Doppelbock and at least 3 or 4 others that escape me.

Wednesday was a bit of a recovery day. Had a late lunch at Piece, again on the recommendation of the staff at The Map Room, but for whatever reason neither the pizza or the beer really did it for me.

Concluded the trip with dinner at The Publican. Beautiful space, very 'trendy', very busy. Sat at the bar tables and enjoyed a few good Belgians with some oysters and a few other bits and pieces.

I recently went on another pizza journey which this time took me to Chicago. Alan Richman's recent controversial article called Great Lake the best in the country. I won't get into that argument but will say it's at the top of my list. Right up there with Pizzeria Bianco and that's high praise coming from me.

Revisited some favorites and a new one in Chicago over the Labor Day weekend. Frontera Grill was as good as expected, but showing the effects of Chef Bayless’s media exposure with long lines and wait times, even on Thursday evening. Our seviche and queso fundido classico appetizers were excellent, especially the latter, which nicely balanced the cheese and the savory. Mains included poc chuc de puerco (orange-marinated, grill-seared pork with a killer habanero salsa that staff insisted on constantly warning me about whenever they passed the table) and a chicken enchilada with a deeply flavored mole sauce. After-dinner entertainment was watching through the window of the building down the street where Chef Bayless was directing a soft opening of a new venture, the XOCO café of Mexican street food (opens September 8).

We hadn’t been to Green Zebra for several years, but were not disappointed in its high-end vegetarian menu. Our variety of small plates included an elegant, creamy, melt-in-your mouth burrata with candied olive, lemon, fava beans, and tempura squash blossom; roasted beet salad with goat cheese croquettes, artichoke, and preserved lemon; poached egg with smoked potato puree that, had it not been vegetarian, you would have believed was laced with bacon; warm braised artichoke and bread salad with a paprika tomato sauce; heirloom tomato tortellini in a parmesan fennel broth; and a lobster mushroom crepe. I’ll definitely have to try to recreate the poached egg and smoked potato dish!

Went back to Avec, where we had a roasted eggplant crostini garnished with smoked corn kernels; a magnificently flavored and textured presentation of dates stuffed with chorizo in a piquillo pepper-tomato sauce; turkey and guanciale meatballs with an amatriciana sauce; and pan-fried lake trout with lemon aioli that reminded me of how good fresh Great Lakes fish were back in the pre-pollution 1950s. Happily, we also had delightful dining partners at the communal table. Having been there before, we arrived around 5:00 and were seated right away; by the time we left the line at the door was several dozen people deep.

Our new try was Salpicon, which had Mexican flavors that were not quite as exacting as Frontera, but was absent the attendant hassle. Appetizers of squash blossoms filled with goat cheese and jalapenos rellenos were excellent, with the jalapeno edging out because of the intensely flavored black bean sauce that came with it. Main dished included a perfectly cooked “tinga poblana” (pork tenderloin with chorizo and potatoes and a roasted tomato-chipotle sauce) and chiles rellenos (the pork-stuffed chile was A-plus; the cheese stuffed chile was marred by a heavy hand with the salt). Salpicon’s tequila menu is overwhelming for a novice like me, but would please aficionados, no doubt.

I'm heading to Chicago next week, staying downtown in the Hilton on S Michigan Ave. Are there any good places nearby at a mixture of price points? I'll be with coworkers, so I won't have the final say or be able to go far :rolleyes: but I can inform the decisions! If I could squeeze in a fancy night out, perhaps if I sneak away to dine solo at a bar, where should/could I go? Thanks!!!

I'm heading to Chicago next week, staying downtown in the Hilton on S Michigan Ave. Are there any good places nearby at a mixture of price points? I'll be with coworkers, so I won't have the final say or be able to go far :rolleyes: but I can inform the decisions! If I could squeeze in a fancy night out, perhaps if I sneak away to dine solo at a bar, where should/could I go? Thanks!!!

A short cab ride away is My link, which is Latin American and Indian. We have been there twice, and would recommend it.

The Gage is close by on Michigan Ave as well which is great. Also Mercat a la Planxa is incredible. There are some higher end places north on Michigan Ave like Nomi, Avenues, Spiagga, etc. Also decently close by is Avec and Blackbird, the first of which is a can't miss. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the suggestions!!! I didn't get to try Mercat a la Planxa, but I heard great things about it!! The places I did get to go were a pretty mixed bunch, but there is some really, really good food in town:

Chicago Gourmet - only in its second year, but it is a fabulous, wonderful, amazing event. I heard that last year there wasn't much food, and this year they REALLY made up for it. The tents featured dishes from all over town, featuring, prominently, beef, beef, beef. And some scallops. Not everything was perfect, but most things I tasted were quite to very good. There were literally hundreds of wines to taste from dozens of vineyards and distributors, as well as a fair bit of liquor. Savory bites, as well as desserts and gelato, and random things like a Kerrygold tent. Truly, food and wine heaven, and you will NOT taste everything, even in 6 hours. Consider it if you're going to be in town next year (and the weather is cooperating). It's worth even the high price tag - the lines are manageably short to nonexistent and they didn't run out of anything except plasticware.

Avec - fun!!! but crowded, even on a Sunday, late at night. The food is worth the wait, though, and the cozy, bustling atmosphere makes you want to sit there all night, talking, eating, and drinking with friends (old and the new ones you'll make!). We had the chorizo-stuffed dates (spicy!), potato and cauliflower salad (tangy and refreshing), a salumi plate (just get it, doesn't matter which ones are being featured that day - SO GOOD), a big bowl of delicate seafood pasta (the pasta was beautiful and the broth very light) and the cheesy-flatbread thing (so simple, so hearty, so irresistible even after you are stuffed) and were full (group of 3) for an extremely reasonable price.

Parthenon - family type place in Greektown with standard but extremely solid typical Greek fare. It's kind of a cheesy-looking place, with everybody actually looking greek and yelling Opa! when they light your saginaki on fire, but it was nice and we got to try a great variety of food through the family feast option. We had the burning cheese, a thick cucumber-yogurt spread, a fish roe-humus-looking spread, some FABULOUS gyro meat (best I've had since the streets of Athens - juicy, slightly crisped edges, texture not tasting "formed" or "pressed" at all), a decent greek salad, pistachio pasta, moussaka, roasted lamb, meat-stuffed dolmades, rice pilaf, roasted potatoes, baklava, and some custardy dessert thing. We liked everything except for the rice (not great, and also no room) and the custard dessert. It was a ridiculous amount of food ($20 per person!) and had me longing for a fridge so I could keep eating it all.

Lao Sze Chuan in Chinatown - not much to look at, but the food we had was perfect and at the tables around us looked great!! We had the cumin dry lamb, baby doh miau (anyone know what these are in English?) garlic greens, fried spicy little fishes, and some potstickers. The potstickers were fine, but the rest were spectacular! I wasn't missing home food from China Star at all. They had the right blend of greasy where called for and greaseless frying that is so essential, as well as the right amount of spice and heat. Again, we got way more food than we could eat.

Giordano's pizza - I'm sure it's very good, but it turns out that I'm a pretty die-hard New York/New Jersey kind of pizza girl. Everyone else seemed to like it a lot and ate with great gusto, but I merely thought it was OK. I thought that maybe if we had tried the deep-dish, I would like it better (and it wouldn't be as comparable to my beloved truly thin-crust pizzas). Oh well.

Riva - on Navy Pier, the only bust of the week, and it wasn't even bad. It just wasn't as good as the other places. We commented that the food was "better than the view would indicate", if that helps, and they do have a wonderful bank of windows overlooking the lake and part of the city skyline. Our salads (beets and caprese) were great, but our fish dishes were merely OK. Large portions. I had a corn-encrusted halibut with trumpet mushrooms, gnocchi, and brussel sprouts, in a butter vermouth sauce. All the components sound good, right? And they were - individually. Taken together, it was surprisingly Spring-ey and a little strange. Also underseasoned. Each of the components taken alone were fine, though. It was very much a business meal kind of place to take picky colleagues, If you do go, check out the stained glass museum downstairs (free!) as you exit the cafe (turn right). Now THAT was amazing.

Rosebud on rush - again, kind of a cheesy place, but we had a native in the group who was really missing it. The room is cozy and old-school lively Italian, and the food, while heavy and salty, was generally very solid. And hearty. And given out in HUGE portions. I liked my wedding soup (ordinary everything but the meatballs, which were great) and my chicken marsala (couldn't help myself) was pretty standardly good. The plate of pasta (perfectly al dente) and sauce (extremely flavorful, could have lapped that up) that accompanied it were very good, though, and not a throwaway side at all. I loved that the bread dipping plate (oh yeah, good hot, crusty bread, too) with a pile of parmesan dust and good olive oil. Someone else got a carbonara? that was essentially a bowl of bacon-flavored cream with better-than-you'd expect tortellini. It was a great dish for a cold night and a huge appetite (even with helpers, she only got through about half of it). The food is also fairly inexpensive, especially considering the portion sizes. Another good place to eat with picky groups.

So, I think I'll be back. For a work week (I'm usually sent to...smaller towns), the food was positively amazing, but there are still so many places to go!!! :(

...So, I think I'll be back. For a work week (I'm usually sent to...smaller towns), the food was positively amazing, but there are still so many places to go!!! :(

Thanks for posting this. Very helpful (and very jealous--I'm long overdue in getting back to Chicago).

snow pea shoots

Thanks!! I'm always confusing the names of the various greens I like now (it was easier when I was a kid and only liked one type - oh, and I could have my parents order for me).

KMango - If it helps whet your appetite, I also heard good things about the Joy something (mentioned upthread) place in Chinatown for bubble tea, and there's supposed to be a great Taiwanese snack shop (I imagine somewhat like A&J) in the same bank of restaurants as Lao Sze (one of the first shops, on the opposite side of the center from Lao Sze). Also, when we were looking for Italian, we first (were referred to by several and therefore) tried this bustling bistro-type place called Quartino's for small plates (most of Chicago seems to be obsessed with the small plates craze), but it was very loud (young, drinky loud) and had a long wait, which is why we called over to Rosebud's (who could take us sooner) instead. It looked good, though, if you're in the mood for that scene!

Parthenon - family type place in Greektown with standard but extremely solid typical Greek fare. It's kind of a cheesy-looking place, with everybody actually looking greek and yelling Opa! when they light your saginaki on fire, but it was nice and we got to try a great variety of food through the family feast option. We had the burning cheese, a thick cucumber-yogurt spread, a fish roe-humus-looking spread, some FABULOUS gyro meat (best I've had since the streets of Athens - juicy, slightly crisped edges, texture not tasting "formed" or "pressed" at all), a decent greek salad, pistachio pasta, moussaka, roasted lamb, meat-stuffed dolmades, rice pilaf, roasted potatoes, baklava, and some custardy dessert thing. We liked everything except for the rice (not great, and also no room) and the custard dessert. It was a ridiculous amount of food ($20 per person!) and had me longing for a fridge so I could keep eating it all.

I grew up going here at least once a year for big family things (Chicago being my "other" hometown -- we'd make the drive up from StL to see fam and friends at least every few months). I'm so glad it's still going strong!

KMango - If it helps whet your appetite, I also heard good things about the Joy something (mentioned upthread) place in Chinatown for bubble tea, and there's supposed to be a great Taiwanese snack shop (I imagine somewhat like A&J) in the same bank of restaurants as Lao Sze (one of the first shops, on the opposite side of the center from Lao Sze). Also, when we were looking for Italian, we first (were referred to by several and therefore) tried this bustling bistro-type place called Quartino's for small plates (most of Chicago seems to be obsessed with the small plates craze), but it was very loud (young, drinky loud) and had a long wait, which is why we called over to Rosebud's (who could take us sooner) instead. It looked good, though, if you're in the mood for that scene!

That would most likely be Joy Yee's (fresh fruit! no powders or syrups!!), which has the coolest bubble tea outfit ever! I have fond memories of Rosebud, as it was one of the more adult, non-chain place restaurants I've ever gone to. I also don't think the Taiwanese shop (as I heard not so good stuff about it) will rival A&J here. Happy Chef is still my go-to place for dim sum in Chinatown though.

Incidentally, I keep forgetting to post my wonderful meal at Mindy's Hot Chocolate on Damen. The hot chocolate here knocks the socks off of Co Co Sala, and the Roasted Peaches with Braised Pork Belly salad was truly amazing (and sadly seasonal). Mindy Segal's desserts are definitely worth saving room for, as evinced by the Warm Brioche Doughnuts ($11) below. Mmm - especially when paired with a warm, rich cup of white hot chocolate.

post-2127-125470974338_thumb.jpg

That would most likely be Joy Yee's (fresh fruit! no powders or syrups!!), which has the coolest bubble tea outfit ever! I have fond memories of Rosebud, as it was one of the more adult, non-chain place restaurants I've ever gone to. I also don't think the Taiwanese shop (as I heard not so good stuff about it) will rival A&J here. Happy Chef is still my go-to place for dim sum in Chinatown though.

Incidentally, I keep forgetting to post my wonderful meal at Mindy's Hot Chocolate on Damen. The hot chocolate here knocks the socks off of Co Co Sala, and the Roasted Peaches with Braised Pork Belly salad was truly amazing (and sadly seasonal). Mindy Segal's desserts are definitely worth saving room for, as evinced by the Warm Brioche Doughnuts ($11) below. Mmm - especially when paired with a warm, rich cup of white hot chocolate.

post-2127-125470974338_thumb.jpg

Joy Yee's has a pretty crazy variety of bubble tea, too. Several dozens of different options. As for the food, the menu is very long, with all sorts of southeast asian and chinese dishes. I've never really been wowed by the food there [i've only been to their Evanston location, as I am from Evanston and now live nearby], but never had anything awful, either. Not really a destination place for out-of-towners, I'd say, except to get the bubble tea to go [at the Chinatown locale, there's usually a decent line for just that]. They also opened a Japanese-leaning somewhat more upscale place in the upstairs of their Chinatown location, but I've read rather mixed reviews about the new place.

In the spirit of the "On a Whim" thread, I could not resist participating in Top Chef Season 4 winner, Stephanie Izard's Wandering Goat dinner series, when the latest one included a surprise Top Chef Master's house as the host (beautiful home and kitchen!!). The dinners are in preparation of Chef Izard's new venture, the Drunken Goat, slated to open in March 2010. The menu, this time done in cocktail party style, included use of a full brick oven available in the host's backyard, and consisted of: smoked goat flatbread; grilled prawns stuffed with goat sausage; mussels escabeche; hamachi-topped bacon on an herb cracker; nantucket bay scallops; walla walla sweet onion soup; NY strip with salted goat; and gnocchi with acorn squash topped with goat cheese. If these are the teasers of what will be available come springtime in Chicago, then a line should already be forming. With a solid team, including sous chefs of David2, I can't wait.

My other delightful surprise find was this light blue box truck parked in the lot of Hyde Park Produce and Harold's Chicken Shack on 53rd and Kimbark, featuring Shawn Michelle's homemade ice cream. I had the chance to sample Jamaican Rum Raisin and this was the best version I have ever had, since this is usually my least favorite flavor, due to a strange syrupy texture that I usually taste with most Rum Raisins. If you can't make it to the Blue Island homebase of this venture, the blue truck is the second best alternative. Parked from 3:00-9:00pm, there will usually be about 5 flavors to sample, and all on the list to be purchased to go in 5 different sizes. The only downside is to be prepared to pay a bit for the sizes, but just typical WF prices of $5 (or was it $7?) for a pint. The other samples tasted were Strawberry Cookies n' Cream (really rich combination) and Banana Pudding (the only off flavor because it had frosted...). This was a great ice-breaker for me before heading off to the tasty whim.

i'd like to buy a very late gift certificate for a restaurant as a wedding gift for a couple that live in the South Loop, Chicago. Someone recommended Gioco. Any comments, suggestions? Looking for something romantic, small, sortof high end that perhaps they wouldn't go to everyday...

thanks!

Heading to Chicago for a rare weekend sans kids. Thinking of having dinner Sat night at L2O. Have any Rockwellians been and would like to share their experience. Apart from that we're planning on sticking to known territory, Hot Dougs, Map Room, Publican etc.

Would also appreciate good breakfast recommendations.

Heading to Chicago for a rare weekend sans kids. Thinking of having dinner Sat night at L2O. Have any Rockwellians been and would like to share their experience. Apart from that we're planning on sticking to known territory, Hot Dougs, Map Room, Publican etc.

Was just there a few weeks ago and loved it. Full post here:

http://www.skilletdoux.com/2009/11/l2o.html

That said, I'd steer you to Alinea before L2O, simply because of how incredibly unique it is.

Wow Dominic! Excellent writing and photography - thanks so much. We'll give Alinea a shot but realistically will probably not get in on 4 days notice. Sounds like L2O will be a pretty darn good substitute

Was just there a few weeks ago and loved it. Full post here:

http://www.skilletdoux.com/2009/11/l2o.html

That said, I'd steer you to Alinea before L2O, simply because of how incredibly unique it is.

I had a fantastic breakfast at Bin 36 if you are staying near Mag Mile-ish.

I was at L2O in July. I am writing from memory here, but most of my memories are negative ones. The food apsires to a high level and occasionally meets it, but for the most part L2O has pretensions to the Bulli-esque micro-cuisine experience that it cannot quite pull off. The main adjective that comes to my mind is "precious," as in meretriciously fussy. A little morsel of seared foie gras in a big nest of spun sugar that reminded me of Texas big hair and felt embarrassing to eat; a set of beautiful sashimi, creatively garnished, but nearly ruined by the frozen glass brick on which it was served, which reminded me of the kid in the movie who gets his tongue stuck on a frozen lamppost. Their wine service also seemed curiously lackluster for an establishment that clearly aspires to the equivalent of 3-star Michelin status. FOH was no better; they kept me waiting in the lounge for a 6-ish reservation for nearly an hour. The cuisine is highly creative and I am sure I must have had some "wow" moments, but at this price level it's the rather basic flubs that stick in my memory. You may have a wonderful experience, of course, but I think (I hope) there are safer risks for so much cash.

BIN36, mentioned up-thread, is great for breakfast and brunch, and quite good for dinner as well. I always love going there.

For cocktails, make sure you go the Drawing Room and sit at the bar, though the lounge is also quite nice. They take drinks very seriously there, with house-made bitters, tonic, etc.

Out in Schaumburg, the land of chain restaurants in the Northwestern suburbs, it was hard to find things other than steakhouses by the dozen, Chilis and Applebees galore. I did my best searching on Google, LTH, Yelp, here, wherever I could grab ahold of to suggest a place to eat, but to no avail. So, it was nice to go to a place where comfort food could be found, when my mom suggested Yu's Mandarin for dinner tonight.

Except it wasn't.

I have been going to Yu's since I was in elementary school, and it was really hard to find out that this place was sold sometime earlier this year, with a new head chef, supposedly keeping the same dishes. Except they didn't taste the same. Mom and I were a bit heartbroken to cross this place off the list now.

On the bright side, Santouka ramen (link in Japanese) in the food court and Hippo Bakery were still pretty good for a comfort fix at the Mitsuwa marketplace in Arlington Heights. The Shoyu Ramen with pork slices and accompanying Roe rice were nice. Gelittleman was a good sport about ramen slurping again. I was so excited to see Mary's chocolates sold at the market. There is also a new stand called Gabutto burger (no website, the link is a tribune article) that serves Japanese-style hamburgers. I really liked how they have the Japanese pancakes in custard-filled, green tea custard-filled, chocolate custard-filled, or azuki-filled.

On Boxing Day, the Mrs. and I tried the white truffle tasting menu at Spiaggia on Michigan Avenue.

The first seven courses were served with fresh Italian white truffles from Alba. From the menu, annotated with my impressions:

1. PAPPARDELLE DI ZUCCA

Butternut squash with quail egg and warm fontina cheese -- the squash "pappardelle" were cooked to a perfect al dente, and the truffle, egg and cheese made a very tasty and rich sauce when combined on the plate.

2. CARPACCIO DI CERVO

Raw Broken Arrow Ranch venison with celery and truffled sheep’s milk cheese -- a thin slice of raw venison was clearly the focal point of this simple but beautifully plated dish. But the crisp shaved celery was no less important, offering a clean crunchy counterpoint to the earthy cheese and truffle flavors.

3. MERLUZZO CON TOPINAMBUR

Butter poached Neah Bay black cod with sunchokes -- a gorgeous piece of moist, delicious poached fish with shaved sunchoke medallions and sunchoke puree. And shaved white truffle.

4. ZUPPA DI PORCINI E UOVE

Porcini and egg soup -- a delicate egg-drop soup with a porcini brunoise and broth. For this one, a chef shaved the truffle tableside, which was a nice touch. To our surprise, the soup was underseasoned. We did have a salt cellar at the table, used it to fix the dish by very carefully adding a few grains at a time.

5. TAJARIN RICCHI AL BURRO

Traditional Piemontese pasta rolled and cut to order with butter -- fresh, simple, delicious and covered with white truffle. Surprisingly, one of the evening's standouts.

6. FARAONA AL FORNO

Wood-roasted Guinea hen wrapped in pancetta with potato puree -- crispy on the outside, moist on the inside. More flavorful than farm-raised chicken and an effective foil for the truffle.

7. CASEIFICIO LONGO TOMINI

Fresh cow and goat’s milk cheese -- with shaved truffle. No surprises here. A nice course.

8. PANNA COTTA AL MIELE DI TARTUFO

Truffle honey panna cotta with hazelnut biscotti -- the soft panna cotta was served in a brown egg shell with the small end carefully removed and was topped with a bit of chocolate-filbert ganache, providing the playful illusion of a dark-yolked soft-boiled egg.

It was an epic meal. The food was expertly prepared and plated and, at $255 per person (including the truffle supplement), a good value relative to other high-end fine dining tasting menus. The service was hospitable, knowledgeable and attentive. The only real disappointment was their wine list, which is aggressively overpriced.

I'm heading to Chicago for the first time in mid-March and most of the time will be with a larger group that will probably dictate eating and drinking plans, but will probably have the opportunity to do my own thing with the +1 for lunch on Friday. I've been wanting to try a Rick Bayless restaurant but was wondering what people thought of Topolobampo vs. Frontera Grill (or somewhere different worth checking out for a Friday lunch not too far off the beaten path since we'll probably be sightseeing too).

I'm heading to Chicago for the first time in mid-March and most of the time will be with a larger group that will probably dictate eating and drinking plans, but will probably have the opportunity to do my own thing with the +1 for lunch on Friday. I've been wanting to try a Rick Bayless restaurant but was wondering what people thought of Topolobampo vs. Frontera Grill (or somewhere different worth checking out for a Friday lunch not too far off the beaten path since we'll probably be sightseeing too).

Both are open for lunch. I've been to Frontera for dinner, never have been to Topolobampo, but I loved my dinner at Frontera a number of years ago. The two share a kitchen, and as I understand it, Topolo is more upscale and they have a possibly more 'adventurous' menu.

If you don't have time or don't want a full sit-down lunch, Xoco is next door, a new "fast-casual" concept from Bayless. I was there once in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday, so the lines weren't bad at all, but lunchtime on a friday would likely be pretty crowded.

They're all easily accessible to sightseeing eras or whatnot, just a few blocks off the red line el [Grand Ave], or a short cab ride from River North hotels. Frontera and Topolobampo have the same entrance on Clark, while the entrance to Xoco is around the corner on Illinois.

Another beer-y weekend romp through Chicago

Beer

Hopleaf: a new spot for me. excellent food, great beer bar tap and bottle list. only downside is that when we got there at 5:45 on a Saturday, the wait was already 90 minutes for a party of 6. eating at the bar was quite sufficient once we accumulated enough seats. we had a DD so we drove....not sure how public transit accessible this place is. only downside is that the beers are a bit expensive, but that's what happens in a nice place, i suppose.

Map Room: still a great tap list and ambience. highly recommended if you're in the WickerPark/Bucktown area.

Local Option: still probably my favorite Chicago beer bar...laid back, a bit college-y, but with a stellar tap list. only gripe is that nobody puts prices on their chalkboards here (same issue at Map Room). annoying when draught prices can swing from $4-10.

Small Bar: a neighborhood joint with a slightly-above-average tap list. some tasty beers, but hardly a destination.

Food:

Jerry's Sandwiches: an "all sorts of crazy sandwiches" place. pretty tasty, with a good tap list.

Feast: above average brunch near Wicker Park. crossaint breakfast sandwich was delicious.

De Pasada: hangover + chilaquiles = satisfaction.

Another beer-y weekend romp through Chicago

Beer

Hopleaf: a new spot for me. excellent food, great beer bar tap and bottle list. only downside is that when we got there at 5:45 on a Saturday, the wait was already 90 minutes for a party of 6. eating at the bar was quite sufficient once we accumulated enough seats. we had a DD so we drove....not sure how public transit accessible this place is. only downside is that the beers are a bit expensive, but that's what happens in a nice place, i suppose.

Map Room: still a great tap list and ambience. highly recommended if you're in the WickerPark/Bucktown area.

Local Option: still probably my favorite Chicago beer bar...laid back, a bit college-y, but with a stellar tap list. only gripe is that nobody puts prices on their chalkboards here (same issue at Map Room). annoying when draught prices can swing from $4-10.

Small Bar: a neighborhood joint with a slightly-above-average tap list. some tasty beers, but hardly a destination.

Food:

Jerry's Sandwiches: an "all sorts of crazy sandwiches" place. pretty tasty, with a good tap list.

Feast: above average brunch near Wicker Park. crossaint breakfast sandwich was delicious.

De Pasada: hangover + chilaquiles = satisfaction.

Hopleaf is three blocks or so from the Red Line El; Berwyn stop. It reminds me of the old Yogi Berra line, "No one goes there anymore; it's too crowded." I do remember once eating dinner there in the backroom, and seeing an actress dance around while warming up on the stairs behind the Neo-Futurists Theatre, most known for the daily show "Too Much Light Makes The Baby Go Blind", which has been running for over 20 years.

I need to get to Map Room one of these days.

Small Bar has three or four locations now. Not a destination, but it is a good soccer bar.

Where are Jerry's Sandwiches and De Pasada? Never heard of 'em.

Where are Jerry's Sandwiches and De Pasada? Never heard of 'em.

We went to the Jerry's on Division, just off Damen.

De Pasada is in Ukranian Village and was notable for its proximity to my buddy's place. Another "not quite a destination" place but worth checking out if you need a mexican fix in that area. Also notable: there are 3 locations of "La Pasadita" on that same block.

We went to the Jerry's on Division, just off Damen.

De Pasada is in Ukranian Village and was notable for its proximity to my buddy's place. Another "not quite a destination" place but worth checking out if you need a mexican fix in that area. Also notable: there are 3 locations of "La Pasadita" on that same block.

Conventional wisdom, which it seems still holds true, is that the Pasadita on the east side of the street is the one to hit. It's tiny, it's a hole in the wall, there's just a small counter, but they make a pretty mean carne asada.

A better place to go at the same intersection, however, is Tierra Caliente, just a block north of Division on the west side of the street. It's a carniceria with a small taqueria in back that does a killer al pastor, as well as some other outstanding tacos.

I've never been to the Division Jerry's, but I'm an enormous fan of the old location down in the west loop. Old favorites include the Marky B (skirt steak, onions, bleu cheese), Gerry F (blackened chicken, portobello, bacon, southwest mayo), Miles S (turkey, cranberry sauce, fresh mozzarella, basil), Uriah H (roast salmon, avocado, cheddar, chipotle chutney) and anything with the fried eggplant when they have it. The specials usually are, but everything is uncommonly good. Mindy and Mark run a catering business and opened the sandwich shop as a side project (which quickly eclipsed the catering business, I believe), and that they offer such an absurd variety of things that are so carefully made is impressive. I don't want to oversell it. It's a sandwich shop. But it's an unusually great one.

Superdawg is a classic, on Devon and Milwaukee [if you're driving from Rosemont into the city/north side, it's on the way].

Well, you have a few great options right nearby. They're not exactly in the heart of things, though at least one is technically within the city limits.

First up, you have Superdawg. This is very close to Rosemont and it's a ton of fun, if somewhat controversial among Chicago hot dog junkies. It's one of the oldest stands in the city, but it's somewhat non-canonical.

Wow - the new location in Wheeling looks *amazing* - right next to Bob Chinn's. Was in the mood for crab, but what a combo place (albeit on the opposite sides of the taste spectrum).

Wow - the new location in Wheeling looks *amazing* - right next to Bob Chinn's. Was in the mood for crab, but what a combo place (albeit on the opposite sides of the taste spectrum).

Wow--Superdawg w/o Maurie and Flaurie on top? That just ain't right.

Gawd do I miss the 'dawg. The menu looks like it's changed since the last time I was there (admittedly, many years ago). The now-called "Whoopercheesie" used to be the "Whoopskicheesie" (a much better name, IMHO, although I would be loathe go purchase one--would you go to a hamburger joint and order and hot dog?). I'm gettin' all nostalgic now.

My cousin reports there is now a Beard Papa's open near State & Randolph. That was a super-awesome chain of cream puffs that I sampled in China, of all places. *sigh* Now to try to find some cream puffs here in DC...

Didn't open to the greatest of reviews.

That's in in the pedway [at least from Eng's description] of the retail failure known as Block 37 doesn't help things, either.