Chicago, IL

Walrus

I agree.  I'd go there also.  For the name, the cleverness....and I'd specifically want to go with my brother and 2 other similarly older male cousins;  all of us the son's of 2 brothers and a sister.  Those 3 siblings called one another every single day.  The 2 brothers would call one another "fat"  They spared their sister that nickname.

Growing up we heard them every day.  So the name "fat" is one that is familiar and "affectionate" for my cousins, siblings and I.  If my older brother and 2 older male cousins and I were all there, I'd treat.  I'd order up "double fatso's" from the menu.  I'd happily serve them.  Two of my cousins "earned" that name.  We all had a great uncle, who was a big "fatso" and amazing character, and the uncle of our parents.  We all grew up very aware of this character.

I'd serve the double "fatsos" to my cousins.  I'd rename them after our late great uncle, I'd call them "Meyer's".  We would all laugh and laugh and laugh, and share in memories.

I'm sure myriads of people everywhere have similar memories.  Its a clever restaurant/joint name.

Now we old codgers have to coordinate flights to Chicago...if we wish to partake in this fun memory.  

Daveo, really enjoyed your post.  Thank you for sharing.

Just back from Chicago.  Some pretty good chow.  Very meat-centric, naturally.

Side Door - classic little bar (part of Lawry's steak house) that has a separate menu - they call it a gastropub. Was out by myself with a big work meeting the next day, so I grabbed a bar stool and had a burger. It was a very nice burger, and they had a decent bourbon selection.  I liked the atmosphere (low key) and the food.

Fontera Grill - was told the wait would be an hour+, but was actually about 20 minutes. Wasn't bad, just wasn't as good as I remembered from last time.  Started w/ the Guac, husband had the relenos special (liked it quite a bit) and I had the skirt steak.  Would say it wasn't as good as I remember, but that was 10 years ago.  Don't think it would make my list for the next trip.

Berghoff:  German lunch, classic, quite nice.  Has the first liquor license granted after prohibition posted in the bar. We both had the schnitzel. Red cabbage was a better side than the gernam potato salad.

Cafe Spiaggia:  Great food. Really nice carpaccio and burratta appetizers, followed by the wild boar gnochhi for me. Loved it. Really beautiful gnocchi. Would get it again. Split a tiramisu for dessert - a little on the dry side for me, but I think mine is usually better than anyone elses out there.

Tavern on Rush - Saturday breakfast. Not bad, but LuxBar next door was much better.

Purple Pig: Highlight of the eating adventures. Granted, we lucked out and got seats at the bar immediately (there was a wait for tables, naturally). Was a late-afternoon refreshment stop after a history walking tour. Split the fried deviled eggs (need more) and the veal flank steak (yes, please).  We were meeting friends for dinner (they picked the place) so we didn't get more.

Piccolo Sogno Due:  Had a very nice meal with our friends here. We lingered for hours (hadn't caught up with them in a while) and the staff was great. Did the antipasta for 4, I had the rib eye (average), the guys each had a whole bronzino or the whole flounder and our other friend had the ravioli, I think.  Not the best meal of the trip, but the company, service and atmosphere made for a great evening.

LuxBar - Sunday brunch - busy place, better breakfast between it and the place next door. Had the classic benedict (house made canadian bacon) and the husband had the breakfast skillet.

I did Alinea this summer.  The food portion of the meal absolutely lived up to the hype.  Damn good and easily one of the best 2 or 3 meals of my life so far.

The service is weird. Super formal, overly rehearsed, and any attempt to ask questions and/or get them 'off script' was met with general confusion.  I know it's really expensive so formality is expected, but the level of stiffness (not just from one individual but all staff interactions - including the big finish with the man himself at dessert) wasn't our particular cup of tea.

The food though... it's killer.

The service is weird. Super formal, overly rehearsed, and any attempt to ask questions and/or get them 'off script' was met with general confusion.  I know it's really expensive so formality is expected, but the level of stiffness (not just from one individual but all staff interactions - including the big finish with the man himself at dessert) wasn't our particular cup of tea.

Funny--I asked all sorts of questions and they answered them just fine. But this was many moons ago, so I don't know if staff changed or anything.

So the Chicago trip is quickly approaching (2 1/2 weeks)! I have reservations the night I arrive at The Girl & The Goat and at The Publican the following night. That leaves Saturday & Sunday. I will be at a conference all day both days.

The conference is here: Best Western River North Hotel

125 West Ohio Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654

And I am staying a few blocks from SE of the Clark/Division metro stop. Since the conference days are long, I will want to stay close by. I did some searches into farm to table type places and also researched good cocktail/wine places and found a few ideas that I haven't really seen mentioned here. Highest on my list is probably BottleFork. Boarding House also interested me. I was thinking I might hit up BottleFork for cocktails and snacks and then head to Boarding House to finish out the night, but I may have people from the conference joining me. If that turns out to be the case I should probably just pick one place.

A lot of places are closed on Sundays, which limits my choices. Purple Pig is open, but Tippling Hall really interested me. Cafe Iberico was also recommended to me.

Thoughts/experiences with any of those?

I was also thinking I might spend some time on Friday just walking through neighborhoods and grazing/drinking along the way. I will still have dinner at The Publican that night so I don't want to stuff myself, but suggestions for places to go that are easily metro accessible? I was thinking I might start the day in Wicker Park at Wormhole for coffee and go from there. Violet Hour and Big Star are nearby, Longman & Eagle is an easy metro ride up, and then from there I could potentially get to Hot Dougs. That may be too much though as I have to be back downtown at 2:30 for a boat tour.

Anyway, any suggestions, even of the neighborhoods that are worth walking through because of cool shops, architecture, etc. are appreciated. Thanks!

...Violet Hour and Big Star are nearby, Longman & Eagle is an easy metro ride up, and then from there I could potentially get to Hot Dougs. That may be too much though as I have to be back downtown at 2:30 for a boat tour.

I went to Violet Hour a long time ago, but I liked it.  Hot Dougs closed last year (website, Chicago Tribune article).

I will still have dinner at The Publican that night so I don't want to stuff myself, but suggestions for places to go that are easily metro accessible? I was thinking I might start the day in Wicker Park at Wormhole for coffee and go from there. Violet Hour and Big Star are nearby, Longman & Eagle is an easy metro ride up, and then from there I could potentially get to Hot Dougs. That may be too much though as I have to be back downtown at 2:30 for a boat tour.

Suggestion: don't call it the metro--the system is known as the "L" as marketing calls it. Probably best to get a multi-day pass if you will be traveling all over the place.

You should consider taking a walking tour with the Chicago Architectural Foundation in addition to the one you're probably taking by boat.

Be careful if you walk back to your hotel late at night--that area is still in transition. But it has quite a few nightclubs, iirc.

Be careful if you walk back to your hotel late at night--that area is still in transition. But it has quite a few nightclubs, iirc.

Thanks. That's good to know. I definitely did plan on walking home (alone) after dinner Saturday and Sunday since it's less than a mile from the conference and restaurants we'd be at.

Thanks. That's good to know. I definitely did plan on walking home (alone) after dinner Saturday and Sunday since it's less than a mile from the conference and restaurants we'd be at.

Frontera/Topo/Xoco (the latter also has nice, quick breakfast options) is also around the corner from the Best Western on Ohio. In the alley behind Bayless' block of buildings is Three Dots & A Dash, a newish tiki bar (though it can get very crowded on weekends and doesn't have many seats/tables).

The Architecture Foundation boat tours are the best ones, though it may not be all that warm in April.

I've only been there once, but I really liked Longman & Eagle, if you head up to Logan Square. It's also just a few dozen yards from the Blue Line stop,, so pretty El-convenient. There's also an Intelligentsia right there, as is one of the better and bigger of Chicago's craft breweries, Revolution. Across the square is Lula Cafe, a good farm/table restaurant. I've only been there for brunch, but I really like it.

Iberico is a cheap tapas place and a popular nightlife spot for the River North crowd on the weekends. I haven't been there in many years, no idea if the food is any good anymore.

• Like 1

Every year just before the baseball season starts I meet a few of my fellow Sox fans at an otherwise unremarkable bar in Bridgeport. Instead of mediocre bar food last weekend, I walked around the neighborhood to head to Pleasant House Bakery, a British-style pie place. I've been there 4 or 5 times now, and it always is delicious.

• Like 1

One more (final?) question - the season finale of Best New Restaurant and the fact that I was in Italy this time last year have me REALLY craving Italian food so I checked to see what was near the conference. Quartino and Coco Pazzo both turn up. The menu appeals more at the latter - anyone have any feedback on either?

Frontera/Topo/Xoco (the latter also has nice, quick breakfast options) is also around the corner from the Best Western on Ohio. In the alley behind Bayless' block of buildings is Three Dots & A Dash, a newish tiki bar (though it can get very crowded on weekends and doesn't have many seats/tables).

The Architecture Foundation boat tours are the best ones, though it may not be all that warm in April.

I've only been there once, but I really liked Longman & Eagle, if you head up to Logan Square. It's also just a few dozen yards from the Blue Line stop,, so pretty El-convenient. There's also an Intelligentsia right there, as is one of the better and bigger of Chicago's craft breweries, Revolution. Across the square is Lula Cafe, a good farm/table restaurant. I've only been there for brunch, but I really like it.

Iberico is a cheap tapas place and a popular nightlife spot for the River North crowd on the weekends. I haven't been there in many years, no idea if the food is any good anymore.

Thank you for this!

Never been to either place, though I've heard of Coco Pazzo.

Around River North is also Osteria via Stato, and Eataly. Haven't been to either of those.

Some of the best Italian eats, besides upscale spots like POTUS' favorite Spiaggia, are found in the old Italian neighborhoods on Taylor Street (by UIC, just SW of downtown) and on Oakley (sometimes called the heart of Italy or something like that). But you'd most likely need a car to get there.

Also, my apologies, Revolution isn't right by the Logan Square blue line stop, it's a few blocks south on Milwaukee Ave.

Oh, wow. I never thought I would miss Butternut bread, but boy, does it taste deliciously nostalgic when I haven't had it in a long time. The only bummer part of that statement is that I didn't get to pair with some Harold's Fried Chicken. Next time.

This time, my trip coincided with National Doughnut Day! And right now, there is no city better to be in for that day than Chicago!! With gems like Doughnut Vault and Do-Rite as new world doughnut shops and classic old world shops like Country Donuts and other suburban great hits, you can't go wrong with a nice glazed classic almost at any shop. This great day was celebrated in trendy Wicker Park, where two new world shops compete right across each other at the Damen Avenue L-stop:

1. Stan's Donut, on one side of the street, is probably on the upper-eschlon of trendiness, where you can order from a three-tiered system:  standards (aka classics at $1.75 each, which a tad higher than old world places); specialties ($2.50 each with flavors like Lemon Curd), and Dough Boy's Best ($3.25 each, with unique flavors like the Biscoff Pocket). I bought a half-dozen to bring to a friend's party, with the intent to taste a bit of each of:  glazed (hit), chocolate glazed (nice chocolate used), maple long john (didn't get to try), lemon curd (didn't get to try), captain crunch bismark (good), and biscoff pocket (really good). It was really busy, with a steady line, and sensory-overwhelming, but fun.

2. Glazed and Infused, on the other side, is equally trendy, but with less options, so it was less overwhelming. The average doughnut ran around $3 per, which is about the same Astro here, but tastes better. By the time I arrived, there were only 2 flavors left:  peanut better & jelly and the white-praline. The PB&J was awesome, with the PB oozing out quite nicely after a bite. The praline was too cakey for me and a tad on the sweet side, though.

If doughnuts aren't your thing, then you might think about stopping by Sugar Bliss cakery. Owned by a college friend, I happily noshed on lemon, pumpkin, and chocolate flavors last weekend. Good cake.

I don't really know if this is a secret or not, but I think Chicago serves some of the best Southern cooking ever. I was spoiled by Dixie's Kitchen & Bar back in college, and now that the location I used to frequent no longer exists, but I was craving it, my friend introduced me to Pearl's Place instead. Mostly, I miss rib tips. Many won't know what I'm talking about, but I think rib tips are the best part. Pearl's barbecue sauce for the tips were kind of weak and the tips a bit fattier than what I was used to, but it was still nice to have, since my other favorite place, Rib n' Bibs, has since closed, too. But, the must order from this place is their shrimp and grits. Other than Grapeseed's fine version, these grits were nice, creamy, and buttery. Quite tasty, as was their fried green tomatoes and collard greens. Total comfort food. If you dine there, be slightly careful, as Bronzeville, where the restaurant is located, is still in transition.

Also still an experience is riding the Cottage Grove bus. Brought back memories. Wouldn't recommend for first-timers. There are just certain bus lines visitors shouldn't take.

I also managed to gorge on pancakes and waffles while in Chicago. I haven't found DC places that are as good. Maybe it's the water, or feel free to PM me of places, but I liked Wildberry's Gluten-free honey cakes, even if they are a chain. I like that they served Intelligentsia coffee there, too. If you are looking for a vegetarian and gluten-free brunch place, then you might think about going to Victory's Banner up in Roscoe Village. A vegetarian, gluten-free friend suggested this place as our meetup and it certainly hit the spot. Especially their housemade chai. I really liked their buckwheat waffles with real maple syrup.

Another friend recommended Cai in the new Chinatown plaza area. (aaronsinger--why didn't you tell me Kung Fu Tea was there!!!! So awesome.) HUGE bonus points for Cai is that you can order online for pickup. Including dim sum options during their dim sum hours. So awesome, awesome. And convenient when the friend you're staying with has a newborn. :D It was nice to have good dim sum in Chicago.

Finally, I forgot what it was like to buy liquor in grocery stores. My mind was blown when I went to the South Loop Whole Foods (it is equally mindblowing to see South Loop become trendy), but then on an entirely other level when I saw that Koval distillery made these little Asian/liteweight-friendly bottles (200mL) of bourbon and rye whiskeys for $17. Needless to say, I bought one of each and the Letherbee flask-sized fernet. So happy. One last very happy thing was to buy Metropolis beans (I like them better than Intelligentsia and someone should try to bring them out here!) and to tryout Bowtruss for the first time. Will have to report back on the latter.

Bowtruss is good.  Metropolis is what we have at home right now because they do a great job of getting freshly roasted product out and in grocery stores (typically roasted same week, last bag I bought was 2 days old).  All things being equal I'm still partial to Dark Matter though.

Re: Stan's & Glazed & Chicago donuts in general...  The thing that Stan's and Do-Rite do well are big towering yeast donuts with a super rich chocolate glaze.  That's not for everyone, but if that's your thing, you'll be hard pressed to do better.  Stan's also makes a big, crispy, yeasty west coast apple fritter (they are originally from California) the type of which can be hard to find done well.  Glazed is more of a stunt show with lots of flavor experiments.  They can be hit or miss (creme bruelee is a shadow of DC's Astro for example) but the hits are strong.  Co-sign on that PB&J.  Donut Vault is pretty much all about old fashioneds, which are just not my platonic ideal of a fried dough situation.

Donuts and coffee are really strong here.

• Like 1

Had a last minute trip to Chicago last week, which meant I had zero chance of getting an actual reservation at Girl and the Goat.  To my surprise, when I walked in with my +1 at 6:15, was seated immediately at one of the outdoor communal tables.  Quick word about the ambiance - I was very glad to sit outside.  The interior seemed like a chaotic food hall.  While I'm not a huge fan of communal tables, and the ones here are seated pretty tightly, at least we could enjoy a pleasant conversation and a nice evening.

Started out with the Ratatouille Bread ($4) served with a tzatziki and one other dipping sauce lost to my aging memory.  The bread had great flavor without being overwhelming, and at $4 was a great way to start the meal - I would definitely recommend trying any of the bread menu (there were five options when we were there).  Next up was the Chickpea Fritters with a stonefruit salad.  I'm not a chickpea lover but this was one of the best dishes I've had all year.  The fritters themselves were crispy squares that were silken and smooth on the inside that were balanced nicely by the salad.  Next up were the Squash Blossom crab rangoons - pretty much exactly what you would expect but well-fried and delicious.  The only disappointing dish of the meal were the Pierogies - I didn't care for the flavor or texture of the pierogies' shell - it almost tasted again like there was a chickpea batter.  I couldn't place my finger on it, but I had a strongly negative reaction - though to be fair the table next to us seemed to love them.

Overall I'd happily go back and work my way through more of the menu.

Heading to Chicago for a girls trip in a few weeks. I love Chicago and its restaurants. I have a pretty great list of options going (some new, some old favorites) but looking for a great Italian recommendation. When in town with my husband we've been to Cafe Spiaggia a few times (never been to the other side of the restaurant) and have loved each meal but because this is a girls trip I'm looking for something with a smidge more atmosphere but with equally delicious house made pastas. Any ideas?

Here is the list I'm throwing out the other ladies going... Any where else folks are loving these days?

Dinner:

Nico Osteria

Publican

Parachute

Juno Sushi

Bavette's

Frontera Grill

Girl and the Goat

Brunch:

Pomp & Circumstance

Cindy's Rooftop (Chicago Athletic Assoc)

Thank you for any suggestions.

I second the confirmation on The Publican. I had a great meal there on my trip in April. Don't miss the shrimp ceviche if it's still on the menu - I almost ordered a second plate of it.

However, and this doesn't seem to be the popular opinion on the board, the best meal I had on my trip was actually at Purple Pig. Each dish I had was outstanding, portions were generous and they have a lot of great wine options.

I never really got to write my reviews so I guess this is going to suffice. The disappointment for me was The Girl & The Goat. I didn't dislike anything, just wasn't as wowed by a few of the things I had. Also incredibly loud in there and I found the service a mix of awkward and overly casual. I was dining alone, which seemed to throw my server for a loop and made it particularly disappointing when it took an eternity to get a drink in hand. With that sort of environment, I think I would have much preferred the bar, but I didn't want to miss my chance and they won't do reservations for the bar. A bit of an aside, the meal was much improved when a group of diners at the table next to me befriended me and we ended up sharing bites from our dishes. Restored my faith in humanity a tiny bit.

Also, if you haven't been, don't miss Eataly. Lots of fun, and some pretty tasty if somewhat overpriced food. I especially recommend the porchetta if they're serving it the day you're there and it's a great place for an espresso or macchiato (go to the coffee bar upstairs, not the one downstairs for the good stuff).

Last, but not least, I loved The Aviary. My cocktail was outstanding, as was the snack I got. I went there before my rez at TG&TG and kind of wish I had just stayed there though it would have cost me an arm and a leg.

Unfortunately I can't help on the Italian. I had 2 good options picked out downtown, but in order to go with the group flow ended up at a place that was pretty terrible.

• Like 1

Oak Brook, IL (ie: Suburban Hell of Chicago)

My general impression of Oak Brook:  Large hotel/convention complex.  Highway.  Large mall.  Highway.  Fancy Country Club.  Highway.

The Oakbrook Center is a massive, 2,000,000 square foot shopping complex (shockingly only the second largest mall in Chicagoland).  The kind of place you circle and circle trying to find your destination.  The easiest way to find something is to figure out what big box your desired destination is near, park your car, and then ask for directions.  We ended up eating here twice.

Antico Posto - A Lettuce Entertain You restaurant, with a generically corporate trattoria/wine bar vibe.  Some decent bread starts the meal with a plate of pickled vegetables dosed in olive oil and parmesan cheese.  We went with a selection of antipasti and salads, all well put together without being remarkable.  The highlight was the grilled calamari served with grilled bread.  Overall, the food was enjoyable enough but really you could have been dining in any upscale American suburb.

Old Town Pour House:  A massive sports bar themed restaurant with upgraded pub grub and 90 beers on tap.  To give them credit they did have a good selection of local and regional beer on hand.  The fried calamari was too greasy and the grilled salmon salad was perfectly fine.  And they have a location in Gaithersburg!

The York Tavern:  Just a wonderful dive townie bar, the kind of place you walk into dressed up in your fancy wedding attire because you have to kill a couple hours between the ceremony and the reception, and the locals look at you and their expressions say, "You are not from around these parts."  Plus they have Labatt's Blue on tap.

• Like 1

If you check in to your hotel at midnight and realize Three Dots and a Dash is two blocks away, go. A mai thai will cleanse you. It's down an alley way off Hubbard at N. Clark.

Thank you Tweaked and Choirgirl21! My apologies for the delay in thanking you both! I didn't get the notices for a week and then we were in San Fran and Napa (a post for a later day as I have HUGE thanks to the DR Napa thread for my favorite winery of the trip!) last week so I'm just now home and catching up.

Heading to Chicago on Thursday and excited about our dining line up. I will definitely look into Three Dots and a Dash, any bar in an alley is intriguing! The best is in Portland, Maine, still one of my favorite bars *alley or otherwise*.

Chicago Line up:

Dinners: Publican, Nico Osteria, The Pump Room- Library Bar

Brunch: Pomp & Circumstance, Cindy's Roof top, The Windsor

Bars: RM Champagne, Vera, Scofflaw, Pub Royale, Bom Bolla

I really debated about the Purple Pig. I will probably kick myself for not trying it, luckily we're in Chicago somewhat frequently so I know we'll get there.

Thanks again y'all!!

I really debated about the Purple Pig. I will probably kick myself for not trying it, luckily we're in Chicago somewhat frequently so I know we'll get there.

Thanks again y'all!!

Who knows, my experience may have been something of an anomaly these days. If it sways you one way or the other, I found these on my phone the other day:

Pig's Ear with Crispy Kale, Pickled Cherry Peppers & Fried Egg

0420151443.jpg

Lemon Panna Cotta with lemon marmellata & candied pistachios

0420151617.jpg

The photo I took of the Calamari, Fregola, Radishes, Cucumbers & Pistachios has apparently gone missing, but it was a very nice bright dish in contrast to the pig's ear, which was incredibly rich and decadent.

The alley Three Dots & a Dash is in is the alley behind Bayless' empire, FWIW. I've only been there once, but it was worth it. I've been to Violet Hour a couple times and enjoyed it, haven't been to the Aviary. If you happen to be in Evanston, Ward 8 is a good cocktail place on Howard St.

Someone mentioned pancakes up above, a favorite spot for north shore folks (and it has a brief cameo in Ordinary People), is Walker Brothers in Wilmette.

By now, I've worked through "House" or "Breakfast blends" of Metropolis, Dark Matter, and Bridgeport beans. I've really enjoyed the current Dark Matter blend, ad.mich, but I think I would really like to drink Bridgeport every day, if I could. I still have a bag of Two Brothers (http://www.twobrotherscoffeeroasters.com) to work through, though.

I'm feeling incredibly proud of my hometown right now, given its coffee, beer, baseball, and liquor scene right now. I've started on a bottle of Blaum Bros.'s knotter finished bourbon whiskey (http://www.blaumbros.com/) and it's quite smooth with a nice finish. I'm pretty happy, stocked with Koval, Few, and this brand at home.

Since no one else has mentioned it, I'll point out a tiki-related update.  Paul McGee has left 3 Dots and a Dash (and the LEYE group entirely) to join the Land & Sea restaurant group (Longman and Eagle people).  He now runs a new tiki joint in the Logan Square neighborhood called Lost Lake.

3 Dots remains very very good and is easier for any downtown staying tourist.  Lost Lake is newer, buzzier, and the drinks are better (but we're talking 9.5 vs 9.2).  Lost Lake also has an adjacent food spot slinging stylized American Chinese food (hipster general tso, dumplings, etc).  As someone who never really got down with the half baked Trader Vic's style food at 3 dots, this is major upgrade.

It has been several months, but these are my highlights from Chicago:

Bavette's: Book a table in the parlor (basement). Very dark and inviting, and the food was excellent. They also have a unique corkage policy (easy to find details with a quick  google search)

Pequod's pizza: Not necessarily close to downtown, but worth a trip. It's a popular spot for locals--more of a dive bar/pizza place. Delicious.

Eataly; Yes, it's touristy, but they have a wide variety of dining options.

Mr Beef: Great spot for lunch. It's a few blocks from the Merchandise Mart.

Kinzie Chophouse: We enjoyed cocktails there before Bavette's. Great atmosphere and drinks, and also well-regarded for their food.

Bonus: If you are there for vacation, I highly recommend a free Chicago Greeter tour. It was the highlight of our trip. (Ask for Bill) www.chicagogreeter.com . It does require advance planning, however.

Chicago is a great food town, and the people are extremely friendly and helpful. Can't wait to return!

I can't recommend Parachute more highly; the service is great, the atmosphere is cool but comfortable, and everything I've had there has been excellent.  If the goat stew (yumso tang) is on the menu, do not hesitate.

And my favorite Chicago bar is  Billy Sunday.  Among other things, it boasts an astonishing array of old bottles of amaro, listing glasses of 1960-era Campari next to 1970-era Averna and so forth for quite reasonable prices; the bartender told me that there are collectors in Italy with vast stores of the stuff that they’re happy to unload.

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

Diced bell(?) peppers and tomato that was kinda stewed down, almost like ratatouille, with potatoes. Fried egg on top. 

Last night I went to Southern Cut Barbecue in Chicago - our crack-enthusiastic server was raving about how (absentee) Chef Lee Ann Whippen "beat Bobby Flay" in a pulled pork throwdown ("That's not all that hard to do," was my reply). A side order of Baked Beans ($6) with bacon and house-smoked brisket sounded like a wonderful accompaniment for my Pulled Pork ($7 for 1/2 pound), but the mustard sauce (don't forget, I'm a Clemson grad) was *horrible* - sugared down (or corn-syrup'd down) like you wouldn't believe - and the mini-skillet of baked beans - *loaded* with brisket and bacon - was squirted with something not unlike Russian dressing (or mayonnaise made red with ketchup) - I kid you not. It was like, "Let's take unhealthy food, and make it even more unhealthy." To their defense, the pulled pork and baked beans, unadorned, weren't that bad, but that's as far as I'm willing to go.

I've seen Three Floyds' Alpha King in probably 4 restaurants in the past 7 days in Illinois and Indiana - I'm enjoying it while it's still regional, and before the upcoming sell-out (no, I haven't heard anything about a sell-out, but I think it's inevitable). This is still a true craft beer, in the real sense of the word, even though it's beginning to up its presence.

On 3/3/2017 at 5:14 PM, DonRocks said:

Last night I went to Southern Cut Barbecue in Chicago - our crack-enthusiastic server was raving about how (absentee) Chef Lee Ann Whippen "beat Bobby Flay" in a pulled pork throwdown ("That's not all that hard to do," was my reply). A side order of Baked Beans ($6) with bacon and house-smoked brisket sounded like a wonderful accompaniment for my Pulled Pork ($7 for 1/2 pound), but the mustard sauce (don't forget, I'm a Clemson grad) was *horrible* - sugared down (or corn-syrup'd down) like you wouldn't believe - and the mini-skillet of baked beans - *loaded* with brisket and bacon - was squirted with something not unlike Russian dressing (or mayonnaise made red with ketchup) - I kid you not. It was like, "Let's take unhealthy food, and make it even more unhealthy." To their defense, the pulled pork and baked beans, unadorned, weren't that bad, but that's as far as I'm willing to go.

I've seen Three Floyds' Alpha King in probably 4 restaurants in the past 7 days in Illinois and Indiana - I'm enjoying it while it's still regional, and before the upcoming sell-out (no, I haven't heard anything about a sell-out, but I think it's inevitable). This is still a true craft beer, in the real sense of the word, even though it's beginning to up its presence.

Alpha King and Three Floiyds' have already gone through their expansion and retrenchment phase.  Their beers were available in Virginia briefly a while back and haven't been seen since the brewery discovered that they can't even meet Chicago-area local demand for their beers.

What a sad way to spend a meal in this town. Sorry Don! Getting good BBQ in this town is a tricky proposition at best. If you must:

Northside: Smoque or Rub's (in that order right now)

Southside: Lem's or Honey1 (in that order right now) 

On the subject of Smoque, in the loop a new food hall called Revival opened a few months back and it's a godsend for us loop worker bees. That being said, it's one of the best loop options for lunch, period.  It's also a great chance for people staying downtown to try branches of some beloved northside spots all in one spot.  Smoque is there (and smoking on site at the same level of quality) along with institutions like Hot Chocolate, Antique Taco, and Danke (offshoot of Table, Donkey and Stick). Trend chasers will find Budlong doing Nashville hot (but even if you aren't into that it's got a strong argument for the best fried chicken in town right now), poke, and ramen... and there several other spots on top of that.  

It's basically like if Union Market had plopped itself on K street. 

Any recommendations near Wrigley Field that aren't pizza or sandwiches? We'll be there during Passover - we don't keep strictly kosher for Passover but we do abstain from bread.

Also would love any Evanston recommendations that are inexpensive/low-key/student hangouts.

Thanks!

On 4/5/2017 at 10:50 AM, Genevieve said:

Any recommendations near Wrigley Field that aren't pizza or sandwiches? We'll be there during Passover - we don't keep strictly kosher for Passover but we do abstain from bread.

Also would love any Evanston recommendations that are inexpensive/low-key/student hangouts.

Thanks!

That rules out a ton of options but you can still do this.  Cassava has empanadas made with cassava so gluten free (not sure if this is ok on your scoring system or not).  Aloha Poke is about 6 blocks south and is the best poke spot in the city.  Tango Sur is a similar distance NW of the stadium and is a popular BYOB Argentinian steakhouse.  Crosby's Kitchen is a perfectly serviceable neighborhood bistro. 

The cheap spots in Evanston that come to mind are burgers (Edzo's) or pastry (Hoosier Mama Pie) so I'm guessing they're off you're approved list. 

We ended up eating in Evanston both nights. We very much liked both places: Koco Table, inexpensive Korean food (we eat rice during Passover so that was fine for us), and a fancier dinner at Found Kitchen, which had enough variety that we could skip anything with bread. 

3 hours ago, JDawgBBall9 said:

Planning a couple meals in Chicago in a couple months...and frankly I'm a bit overwhelmed. I'll ask a fairly open question - what are some restaurants that look and feel like you're eating in Chicago?

Topolobambo and Frontera Grill are both in the same building - I had dinner at Frontera Grill a few months ago, and it was a fine overall meal that didn't break the bank. Both restaurants opened in the late 1990s, and both restaurants have now won the James Beard Outstanding Restaurant Award (a national award). Pick one, and order whatever strikes your fancy - you won't regret it.

Band of Bohemia was one of the two best meals I had on my most recent trip (get the Foie Schnitzel).

The Publican is a bit more expensive, but it's very meat-centric, and owned by an excellent restaurant group (portions are tiny, so you'll need to order a few plates to share).

If you're going to be there on a Sunday, go to brunch at North Pond.

None of these places will kill you financially; all are Michelin-worthy restaurants - make sure to reserve in advance for each.

• Like 1

Co-sign on North Pond.  Just a lovely space and great food.  

If you want to feel *super chicago* I'd actually look at the Publican Anker, which is the second restaurant from the same group.  Same general concept but a little more veggies and a more local feeling location (the bustling main intersection of wicker park instead of the scene-y west loop).  Plus afterward you can go around the corner to Big Star for drinks.  A tallboy with a bourbon back on the Big Star patio while the el rumbles by across the street is about as damn Chicago as it gets.

On 6/20/2017 at 5:48 PM, ad.mich said:

Co-sign on North Pond.  

Ex-axes?(Think trigonometry.)

Avoid Avec, by the same restaurant group as Publican (and side-by-side with Blackbird). It is one of the most beautiful restaurants, but *the single noisiest* restaurant, I've ever been to in my entire life. I may have said this upthread, but unless you don't mind shouting - and I mean *shouting* - at the person sitting 3-feet across from you (note the seating on the right of the picture), take a pass on Avec, which makes the original Graffiato (where I was standing up and screaming at my bartender in order to be understood) look like a library, if such a thing is possible. That said, I had a really good meal, cuisine-wise, at Avec; still, this isn't *that* far away from a chainsaw or a lawnmower when it's filled to capacity..

Avec.jpg

PS - To all those who gave Graffiato a free pass when it first opened (not me😞 Do you feel unqualified to be restaurant writers yet? If you don't by now, I guess you never will.

10 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I had a really good meal, cuisine-wise, at Avec; 

You can buy Avec's chorizo stuffed dates (and pequillo sauce) to go at Publican Quality Meats.  Much better to just eat them at home.  My wife can blow an air horn in my face if I want to replicate the atmosphere.

Going to be in Chicago for 5 days/4 nights with the kids, around the 4th of July.  We're stay at the Hyatt Regency on Riverwalk.  No car.  What are some really good restaurants (no price constraint - just not prix fixe with many courses)?  I don't want to schlepp too far from the hotel for dinner, but lunch/brunch can be farther away.  Not looking for breakfasts and casual dress a must- we might be in flip flops/crocs.

Suggestions for really good Italian, nose-to-tail, Chinese, things we can't get in DC would be appreciated.

So far we have three dinners covered - Frontera Grill, Roister and the Publican.  Looking at Cafe Spiaggia and Piccolo Sogno.

That neck of the woods is kind of tourist central so the food closest to there is generally what you'd expect.  Two places very close to you that are worth checking out are Tortoise Club (a buffed up, downtown Chicago restaurant doing Milwaukee Supper Club food) and Beacon Tavern (although maybe too similar to Publican). 

Your three picks above are all rock solid. I'd do Spiaggia over Sogno (and be very happy with it) but I'd do Monteverde over both. Imperial Lamian is pretty close and does high end dumpling focused Chinese. It's good if you don't have sticker shock. There's not really a ton of nose to tail going on in Chicago proper right now, but Purple Pig and Girl and The Goat always have it going on, and both are delicious consistent standbys I'd happily recommend for anyone. For lunch I'd think about Revival Food Hall (it has an absolute murderer's row of food options, branches of some of my favorite spots in Chicago all executing well) or Tempesta, which makes some of the best salumi in the city and then stuffs their own sandwiches full with it. I haven't had a bad thing there yet.