351 replies to this topic

#351 Joe H

Joe H

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:52 PM

I agree.  I'd go there also.  For the name, the cleverness....and I'd specifically want to go with my brother and 2 other similarly older male cousins;  all of us the son's of 2 brothers and a sister.  Those 3 siblings called one another every single day.  The 2 brothers would call one another "fat"  They spared their sister that nickname.

Growing up we heard them every day.  So the name "fat" is one that is familiar and "affectionate" for my cousins, siblings and I.  If my older brother and 2 older male cousins and I were all there, I'd treat.  I'd order up "double fatso's" from the menu.  I'd happily serve them.  Two of my cousins "earned" that name.  We all had a great uncle, who was a big "fatso" and amazing character, and the uncle of our parents.  We all grew up very aware of this character.  

I'd serve the double "fatsos" to my cousins.  I'd rename them after our late great uncle, I'd call them "Meyer's".  We would all laugh and laugh and laugh, and share in memories.  

I'm sure myriads of people everywhere have similar memories.  Its a clever restaurant/joint name.  

Now we old codgers have to coordinate flights to Chicago...if we wish to partake in this fun memory.    

Daveo, really enjoyed your post.  Thank you for sharing.

#352 ohstate

ohstate

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

Just back from Chicago.  Some pretty good chow.  Very meat-centric, naturally.

Side Door - classic little bar (part of Lawry's steak house) that has a separate menu - they call it a gastropub. Was out by myself with a big work meeting the next day, so I grabbed a bar stool and had a burger. It was a very nice burger, and they had a decent bourbon selection.  I liked the atmosphere (low key) and the food.

Fontera Grill - was told the wait would be an hour+, but was actually about 20 minutes. Wasn't bad, just wasn't as good as I remembered from last time.  Started w/ the Guac, husband had the relenos special (liked it quite a bit) and I had the skirt steak.  Would say it wasn't as good as I remember, but that was 10 years ago.  Don't think it would make my list for the next trip.

Berghoff:  German lunch, classic, quite nice.  Has the first liquor license granted after prohibition posted in the bar. We both had the schnitzel. Red cabbage was a better side than the gernam potato salad.

Cafe Spiaggia:  Great food. Really nice carpaccio and burratta appetizers, followed by the wild boar gnochhi for me. Loved it. Really beautiful gnocchi. Would get it again. Split a tiramisu for dessert - a little on the dry side for me, but I think mine is usually better than anyone elses out there.

Tavern on Rush - Saturday breakfast. Not bad, but LuxBar next door was much better.

Purple Pig: Highlight of the eating adventures. Granted, we lucked out and got seats at the bar immediately (there was a wait for tables, naturally). Was a late-afternoon refreshment stop after a history walking tour. Split the fried deviled eggs (need more) and the veal flank steak (yes, please).  We were meeting friends for dinner (they picked the place) so we didn't get more.

Piccolo Sogno Due:  Had a very nice meal with our friends here. We lingered for hours (hadn't caught up with them in a while) and the staff was great. Did the antipasta for 4, I had the rib eye (average), the guys each had a whole bronzino or the whole flounder and our other friend had the ravioli, I think.  Not the best meal of the trip, but the company, service and atmosphere made for a great evening.

LuxBar - Sunday brunch - busy place, better breakfast between it and the place next door. Had the classic benedict (house made canadian bacon) and the husband had the breakfast skillet. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users