starfish

To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

1,822 posts in this topic

The Clifford Brown Max Roach Quintet was one of the most important music group of all time! The number of young musicians who got their start with MR is mind boggling (I think Art Blakey also was a stand out in this resect). I remember hearing Mr Roach at Chicago's Jazz showcase. His drumming was powerful, estatic, emotional and moving.

One of the true greats! Not a time to be sad, but a time to remeber all the joy he brang and to celebrate having a great one like that in our midsts for so long. As I always lament, that Jazz Band in the Sky just keep on getting better and better!

Michael Jackson, the Beer Hunter, passed away yesterday morning in London. Long a legendary figure at the GABF, Jackson was also an expert on whisk(e)ys, and a prolific author and enthusiastic guest speaker on those topics. Locally, he made occasional appearances at Bob Tupper's beer tasting series at the Brickskeller, often smuggling in various rarities from Europe. His compact guides to the world's single-malts are indispensible, even if they do (unfortunately) contribute to the what's-my-point-score mentality.

I happen to be in Bardstown, Kentucky today, and will raise a glass tonight in his memory.

Farewell Mr. Jackson. The world of spirits and beer just got a bit less interesting. I'll be drinking a Signatory 25 in your honor tonight.

James Barber, TV chef (The Urban Peasant) and cookbook author, has died.

His wife, Christina Burridge, says "As far as we can tell, James was sitting at the dining room table, he was reading a cookbook, and he had a pot of soup simmering on the stove. So he definitely left this world in a way that he would have wanted to, but I think he would have been pretty upset about the timing," she told CBC News.
Okay - the flavors will surely have had sufficient time to meld. Do you adjust the seasonings before or after calling 911? Or, do you wait and offer a bowl to EMS?

It is not to whom, but to what that I will be drinking tonight. And the what is Repeal Day. So throw away the bathtub gin and grab something civilized to toast the 21st.

Henry Hudson is presumed to have died in 1611, after he was set adrift, along with his son and eight others, by greedy crewmen.

Yes... I can identify. It's been one of those weeks. :(

To my mom, from whom I just got two care packages full of enough holiday decorations to brighten up what would have otherwise been a rather dreary Saharan Christmas. :(

To my girl Glendora-where ever you are. A year ago this weekend it all started for the two of us. Tonight we will finish off the miniatures I bought when you left. You would have yelled at me for drinking but would have loved my hot chocolate that we are using as a chaser.

Miss you G.

I'm drinking to Damon. God bless you, my dear. We miss you so much, and we haven't figured out what to do without you. Help us; our sadness persists.

I am drinking to 2008!, and all that it has to offer.

I am also drinking to everyone one I lost in 2007. They will not be mentioned here again, unless I change my mind:

Uncle Monroe

Damon

Mama Haz

Brent

Aunt Grace

God bless you, and thank you for everything.

I'm drinking (cafe Americano) thinking that in one year from now, we will have picked a new President and he/she will probably be drinking coffee, too. And W will be on his way...

To the memory of my great-uncle. Scientist, educator, scholar and citizen-statesman all, and always with a twinkle in his eye.

His grandson, my second cousin, graduates CIA at Hyde Park next month. Good luck C.; we know you're gonna make it big.

An English doctor was being shown around a Scottish hospital. Near the end of his visit, he saw a ward of patients with no obvious injuries.

He started to examine the first patient, but the man proclaimed:

"Fair fa' yer honest, sonsie face / Great chieftain o' the puddin' race!"

The doctor, taken aback, moved on to the next patient, who immediately said,

"Some hae meat and canna eat / And some wad eat that want it."

The next patient cried out,

"Wee sleekit cow'rin tim'rous beastie / O what a panic's in thy breastie!"

"Well," the English doctor muttered to his Scottish colleague, "I see you saved the psychiatric ward for last."

"Oh, no," said the Scottish doctor. "This is our serious Burns unit!"

1 person likes this

An English doctor was being shown around a Scottish hospital. Near the end of his visit, he saw a ward of patients with no obvious injuries.

He started to examine the first patient, but the man proclaimed:

"Fair fa' yer honest, sonsie face / Great chieftain o' the puddin' race!"

The doctor, taken aback, moved on to the next patient, who immediately said,

"Some hae meat and canna eat / And some wad eat that want it."

The next patient cried out,

"Wee sleekit cow'rin tim'rous beastie / O what a panic's in thy breastie!"

"Well," the English doctor muttered to his Scottish colleague, "I see you saved the psychiatric ward for last."

"Oh, no," said the Scottish doctor. "This is our serious Burns unit!"

burnsnasmythtk2.jpg

not

mrburnsjx9.jpg

I am drinking water and tea to whoever created this nasty flu bug and deemed it necessary that I get it. Make it stop. Please.

I am drinking water and tea to whoever created this nasty flu bug and deemed it necessary that I get it. Make it stop. Please.

Burgundy is the answer. A few drops in each nostril should do the trick. (Hey, it couldn't hurt....)

Burgundy is the answer. A few drops in each nostril should do the trick. (Hey, it couldn't hurt....)
A wise man once told me Burgundy is the answer to all questions. I can't believe I forgot!

I am drinking to me, and the fact that I just resigned from a job when I don't have another one to go to! (Effective April 30, unless someone hires me before then...)

But anything beats hives and no sleep.

I am drinking to me, and the fact that I just resigned from a job when I don't have another one to go to! (Effective April 30, unless someone hires me before then...)

But anything beats hives and no sleep.

the job gave you hives? :mellow:

To RM...who died today at the end of a dive while restoring the coral reef...can't think of a more fitting end for someone who contributed many years to the cause...this Barbancourt 5 Star is for you.

Cameron Argetsinger passed away on Tuesday, perhaps the most important American in auto racing whom you've never heard of. As a young man he organized the first postwar road race in America, and later brought Formula One to these shores, in the process making his quiet little hometown of Watkins Glen, NY world-famous and indelibly associated with racing. First as a driver and then as a director with many of motorsports' top governing bodies, his passion for motorsports never waned. In recent years he could often be found working at his desk at his last great project - the International Motor Racing Research Center, a nonprofit library and archive dedicated to preserving the history of auto racing.

SuperStock_1236-143~Person-s-Hand-Waving-a-Checkered-Flag-Posters.jpg

Tonight at dinner we toasted the birth of our baby boy, born at 9:36pm on April 29, 2002. Ian, the world would be a much smaller, sadder place without you in it. With all the love in the world ~ Mommy & Daddy.

Albert Hofmann - who discovered lysergic acid diethylamide - but for you my college years would not have been nearly as much fun.

Last night I opened and enjoyed a 1998 Pierre Usseglio Chateauneuf du Pape in tribute to Phil Hartman, it really does not seem like it has been 10 years.

Harvey Korman :lol:

Yes indeed, a true comic genius. Another would be Earle Hagen the guy who wrote and whistled the Andy Griffith show tune.