To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

starfish

10 years ago today I started to date a lovely and gracious women who would later become my wife so I am drinking to her. Tonight we celebrated those 10 years at Komi and then at home with a bottle of R. Dumont de Fils Blanc de Blanc (a walk from Komi to Cork was refreshing but Cork was packed so we decided to head home). Thank you to Derek, Mr. Monis, and the rest of the crew at Komi for making the first part of our evening special.

Des Moines evacuated for floods

Fires in the west

Power outages and Metro fires in downtown DC

Earthquakes in Japan and China

Cyclone in Burma

Blackmail for food in Zimbabwe

Ad nauseum

I'm drinking to being blessed with luck.

If I still drank, I'd have one for George. Thanks for the intelligent funny stuff Mr Carlin. If only everyone could relate to your humor-- the world would be a much better place.

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat."

If I still drank, I'd have one for George. Thanks for the intelligent funny stuff Mr Carlin. If only everyone could relate to your humor-- the world would be a much better place.

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat."

I do drink and plan to raise several glasses in honor of this comedic genius and pioneer this evening.

To Thomas Disch, 68, who fatally shot himself on July 4th. Newsweek called him "the most formidably gifted unfamous American writer."

Depressed, sick, and in financial difficulties for years, his June 17th blog entry read as follows:

What is so tragic as the lethal blast

Of thunderbolt or .38

That turns what had been present

Into past? There he stood

And here he lies at last.

Will you not shed a single tear

For any such? Is that too much to ask?

Camp Concentration should be required reading for any thinking human being.

Tonight I will quaff a Leinies to Aaron Rodgers, here's to you not becoming a whining-sniveling-spoiled little prima donna bitch like your predecessor.

I love when I see a post like this that makes me google at least 2 terms and still come out barely understanding the point smile.gif

I love when I see a post like this that makes me google at least 2 terms and still come out barely understanding the point ;)
It must be the idea of drinking a Leinies that threw you off. :lol: It is the official beer of my favorite football team, and I drank to a man who showed an immense grace and poise while some of the nastiest things were being said about him. This was in contrast to how a certain new member of the New York Jets comported himself.

It must be the idea of drinking a Leinies that threw you off. :lol: It is the official beer of my favorite football team, and I drank to a man who showed an immense grace and poise while some of the nastiest things were being said about him. This was in contrast to how a certain new member of the New York Jets comported himself.

Had no idea that "Leinies" was the accepted abbreviation of Leinenkugel's ;) That Summer Wheat tastes like Fruit Loops. Freakishly.

Had no idea that "Leinies" was the accepted abbreviation of Leinenkugel's ;) That Summer Wheat tastes like Fruit Loops. Freakishly.
I am not really a Wheat Beer fan, I don't know why I cannot get into it, so I stick to the regular Leinies which I have problems finding around here, so I get a shipment from Wisconsin every year before football season - mine arrived via my parents two weeks ago. Not great beer, but perfect for watching a football game.

Ah, and not only is Leinies acceptable, it is the name of their website :lol:

I am not really a Wheat Beer fan, I don't know why I cannot get into it, so I stick to the regular Leinies which I have problems finding around here, so I get a shipment from Wisconsin every year before football season - mine arrived via my parents two weeks ago. Not great beer, but perfect for watching a football game.

Ah, and not only is Leinies acceptable, it is the name of their website :lol:

The last time I was in the north woods, I went to a meat and cheese shop that had summer sausages in the shape of a beer bottle with a Leinie's label on it. Ah, that's Wisconsin...

I think that I would rather drink to Wang Xiaoning, Bao Tong, Shi Tao, or any of the victims of June 4, 1989.

Having lived two recent years in two horrendously ruled nations, I find it useful to seperate artistic achievement from governance, so I still find that opening ceremony stunning, despite the crimes of a nation.

I suppose any further conversation on this should go to one of the snipy politics boards :lol: but for now, I'm just drinking to this extraordinary spectacle made by Zhang and his 15,000 amazing performers. And now to the Somali team. (The Somali Olympic team! Wot?? Talk about overcoming odds!)

Shaft!

Who's the black private dick

That's a sex machine to all the chicks?

(Shaft!)

You're damn right

Who is the man

That would risk his neck for his brother man?

(Shaft!)

Can ya dig it?

Who's the cat that won't cop out

When there's danger all about

(Shaft!)

Right on

You see this cat Shaft is a bad mother--

(Shut your mouth)

But I'm talkin' about Shaft

(Then we can dig it)

He's a complicated man

But no one understands him but his woman