To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

starfish

10 hours ago, DIShGo said:

And to her mom...

Oh my *God* - I'm just now finding out that Debbie Reynolds died too, *one day* after Carrie Fisher - I thought you had posted this out of consolation for a grieving parent.

I once met with a Hospice counselor, who told me that she went to make her rounds at the live-in Hospice center in Arlington. She walked in, and there was a very elderly patient - end-stage cancer - and her leg was in a cast: She had broken it the day before.

The counselor looked at her and said, "Life is *so* *unfair*."

As she was about to receive a hug, the patient looked back at her and smiled, and she said, "Oh, my dear, who ever said that life was supposed to be *fair*?"

That was thirteen years ago, and I remember the story as if it had been told to me today.

NO CHILD SHOULD PREDECEASE THEIR PARENTS. And for Carrie Fisher's death to be *the last thing* on Debbie Reynolds' mind (and I verified that she *did* know about it) is unspeakably cruel - I remember when Len Bias died, Larry Bird said, "It's the cruelest thing I've ever heard."

It's pointless to compare tragedies, but to me, this seems crueler still - it should have happened the other way around. And life is *not* fair.

I'm going to watch "Singin' in the Rain" tonight to honor both Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds. I thought I had seen, heard, or experienced everything, but this may be the single most tragic thing that I've ever heard - not that Debbie Reynolds died, but that she died knowing what had happened to her daughter. This is even worse than what happened to Elizabeth Edwards, which in my mind ranked right up there; the *only* redeeming thing about this is that Debbie Reynolds was tortured by mental anguish for only a few days. Having lived through a parent surviving the death of her daughter for nearly fifteen years, I think this may be for the best; she was never going to get over this - not even close. In fact, Reynolds' passing was most likely a welcome friend.

Can we end this fucking year already?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MC Horoscope said:

I will drink to democracy, and humility. Not victory.

So will I, but you took the Harvard comma a step too far.

-> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> ->  Neal's Post -> Tolerable Political Borderline on donrockwell.com -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> Every Other Website in the World

---

An enigmatic point to ponder: Our two most famous Presidents did not go to college.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bart said:

I'm resting my aching feet and raising a glass or 6 to all those others on the Mall today.  What a turnout!  What a scene!

Will drink to you and the reported to be several million around the globe.  Haven't seen reports of violence and in response to that concern saw a comment to the effect that. " They were large groups of mom's, they shared and helped one another" .   or something to that effect.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, DaveO said:

Will drink to you and the reported to be several million around the globe.  Haven't seen reports of violence and in response to that concern saw a comment to the effect that. " They were large groups of mom's, they shared and helped one another" .   or something to that effect.

Lots of moms and other assorted females, but lots of dudes too.

As far as the "sharing and helping each other" goes,  I was somewhere on the mall near 7th St and a group of people were chanting "WE NEED AN EPI PEN, WE NEED AN EPI PEN" an a minute or two later, a woman came running through the crowd to the rescue.  Very cool. 

• Like 7

Possibly my prime years for tv watching/being influenced by tv overlapped with the two series in which she starred, running with a relatively short break from '61 to '77.  My god we watched MTM age from 23-40.  Always beautiful classy elegant.  An exceptional tv personna.   Those characters inhabit our brains and souls as if they are real life.

Spent the latter part of yesterday afternoon in a falsetto voice mindlessly repeating with a voice that attempted to shimmer---" oh Rob"--and then she had a better meatier role as Mary Richards

I feel like "they" just hit me in the guts insofar as tv world goes.

Mary Tyler Moore, oh my goodness. She was a lovely fetching terrific character in The Dick Van Dyke Show and then a memorable admirable ground breaking character in the MTM show.  Simply an icon of earlier TV days.  Sad day for American popular culture.  Also an admirable film actress when in the movies, but as a TV actress my goodness sort of American TV royalty and evidently co stars adored her creating sync between the TV characters and the real person.  RIP

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tweaked said:

Richard Hatch (Battlestar Galactica...both series)

Aw, man.  That was the Star Wars substitute for us kids living in Germany with families that refused to pay $5 for the English language version in the German theaters (versus 25 cents for movies on base).  I used to play that theme on the trumpet as a kid.

• Like 1

Grandma Lila - She passed last Saturday at the age of 99 - She had lost many restaurant privileges (in much the same way a two year old does) but the last month enjoyed some meals out at iHop, McDonalds, and the fast food Italian at Tysons on a trip there.  She lived life to the fullest, traveled the world, thru wonderful dinner parties, and loved a gin & tonic while looking out over the beach.  

(Her failing health is why I haven't been on the board much in the last six months)

http://www.johnsoncountychapel.com/obituaries/Lila-Skaer/#!/Obituary

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StarStraf said:

Grandma Lila - She passed last Saturday at the age of 99 - She had lost many restaurant privileges (in much the same way a two year old does) but the last month enjoyed some meals out at iHop, McDonalds, and the fast food Italian at Tysons on a trip there.  She lived life to the fullest, traveled the world, thru wonderful dinner parties, and loved a gin & tonic while looking out over the beach.  

(Her failing health is why I haven't been on the board much in the last six months)

http://www.johnsoncountychapel.com/obituaries/Lila-Skaer/#!/Obituary

Damn it, Star, I am *so sorry* - we have all cherished your Grandma Reports in your reviews. 

Right now, there are a lot of to-dos to be done, but at some point, you're going to enter a realm of quietness that's more quiet than anything you've ever experienced. Then, a month or two will go by. That is the time when I'm going to share with you something that will help you immensely,

For now, I hope I can speak for everyone when I say "I'm really sorry." It's so easy to say, "She lived a long life," or "She passed peacefully," but the truth is that some things in life just suck, and there's no way to get around it, other than to go straight through it.

I'm sorry. :(

PS - You have my permission and blessing to knock the shit out of anyone who says (with the best of intentions), "She's in a better place now."

• Like 3

Jim Vance :(  This made me so sad, and I haven't watched local news in ages. He was just such a DC institution, it's hard to believe he's gone.  On a trivial note,  I didn't realize until I read the obituary that he was born in the same town my father was...

• Sad 3

To my dog, Fred. From humble beginnings at parts unknown to the NY Avenue shelter and through 12 years with our family in DC, NY, VA, ME and parts inbetween he was a constant presence, a perpetually wagging tail and incorrigible around any food within leap's reach. Fred was so loved, and will be so missed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

36 minutes ago, Keithstg said:

To my dog, Fred. From humble beginnings at parts unknown to the NY Avenue shelter and through 12 years with our family in DC, NY, VA, ME and parts inbetween he was a constant presence, a perpetually wagging tail and incorrigible around any food within leap's reach. Fred was so loved, and will be so missed.

Ah, hell, Keith - I'm so sorry, truly. I wish you'd share your favorite picture of Fred with us here.

To Robert Power, beloved father of Mary Ann, aka DIShGo. Mary Ann was flying down to visit him tomorrow for Thanksgiving - she, and especially her sister Jane who lived nearby, were loving, devoted daughters who always looked after him. He also has a large, extended family.

Mr. Power didn't care much for films, but when I asked what his favorite movies were, Mary Ann told me he really liked Gene Autry, though his favorite film was "It's a Wonderful Life." Mr. Power also represented our country in World War II as a member of the United States Army.

Perhaps more than anything else, he would want to be remembered as "the husband of Margaret Power," the great love of his life, whom he will soon be joining in Marion, IL.

As I type this, we're drinking a 1926 Madeira in honor of Mr. Power's birth year.

• Like 5

On 11/17/2017 at 12:09 PM, DonRocks said:

To Robert Power, beloved father of Mary Ann, aka DIShGo. Mary Ann was flying down to visit him tomorrow for Thanksgiving - she, and especially her sister Jane who lived nearby, were loving, devoted daughters who always looked after him. He also has a large, extended family.

Mr. Power didn't care much for films, but when I asked what his favorite movies were, Mary Ann told me he really liked Gene Autry, though his favorite film was "It's a Wonderful Life." Mr. Power also represented our country in World War II as a member of the United States Army.

Perhaps more than anything else, he would want to be remembered as "the husband of Margaret Power," the great love of his life, whom he will soon be joining in Marion, IL.

As I type this, we're drinking a 1926 Madeira in honor of Mr. Power's birth year.

Robert Power

I am *so glad* that you'll be reunited with your wife - it may be largely symbolic, but so what.

The U.S. Army Air Corps - the same service as Louis Zamperini.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2017 at 8:06 PM, DonRocks said:

Robert Power

I am *so glad* that you'll be reunited with your wife - it may be largely symbolic, but so what.

The U.S. Army Air Corps - the same service as Louis Zamperini.

To Wayne Karl (see Jon's and Allan's moving tributes)

To Mila Katsman (beloved mother of Sasha)

Three of my very best friends have lost parents within the past month - two just yesterday. When life is good, it can be really good, but sometimes, life just sucks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

A toast my sister (WWF Germany) a dear friend at USAID and another from Miriam’s Kitchen/GW Hospital who have selflessly and nobly been to the least prosperous places on earth -plundered by empires and devastated by nature- in a daunting effort to snuff out little bits of rampant crimes against humanity, nature and animals; merciless corruption, civil rights abuses and hopelessly inadequate medicine all while witnessing elements of daily life that would totally reset your standard of reality and comfort. Their contributions to humanity are sobering. The depths of my shame as an American citizen are worth mollifying with triple pours of liquor and donations.

• Like 4

On 1/12/2018 at 9:47 PM, Poivrot Farci said:

A toast my sister (WWF Germany) a dear friend at USAID and another from Miriam’s Kitchen/GW Hospital who have selflessly and nobly been to the least prosperous places on earth -plundered by empires and devastated by nature- in a daunting effort to snuff out little bits of rampant crimes against humanity, nature and animals; merciless corruption, civil rights abuses and hopelessly inadequate medicine all while witnessing elements of daily life that would totally reset your standard of reality and comfort. Their contributions to humanity are sobering. The depths of my shame as an American citizen are worth mollifying with triple pours of liquor and donations.

Let me raise a glass too. We all do what we can, when we can, how we can (no matter how painful), but clearly there are those amongst us that are better and more awesome than others. For those, , them, just....let us know that they have a horde behind them willing to do what we all can, in our own small way, to support their awesomeness.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2018 at 1:40 AM, DonRocks said:

"President George H.W. Bush Hospitalized with Infection" on abcnews.go.com 

After hearing of Barbara, I told my friend that President Bush would be gone in a month, and I'm afraid it may come to pass (he has sepsis).

This is the way life is meant to be in the *best* of scenarios: married for SEVENTY-THREE years.

I'd say, "Please come back, President Bush," but instead I'm going to say, "Go give your wife a hug, sir" - I wouldn't want to come back, not after this.

• Like 1