starfish

To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

1,871 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, DaveO said:

Carrie Fisher:  She played an all time iconic role.  Her personality, writing skills, and human honesty were bigger

And to her mom...

10 hours ago, DIShGo said:

And to her mom...

Very rough.  Family tragedy played out in public.  My heart goes out to her granddaughter/Carrie Fisher's daughter. 

10 hours ago, DIShGo said:

And to her mom...

Oh my *God* - I'm just now finding out that Debbie Reynolds died too, *one day* after Carrie Fisher - I thought you had posted this out of consolation for a grieving parent.

I once met with a Hospice counselor, who told me that she went to make her rounds at the live-in Hospice center in Arlington. She walked in, and there was a very elderly patient - end-stage cancer - and her leg was in a cast: She had broken it the day before.

The counselor looked at her and said, "Life is *so* *unfair*."

As she was about to receive a hug, the patient looked back at her and smiled, and she said, "Oh, my dear, who ever said that life was supposed to be *fair*?"

That was thirteen years ago, and I remember the story as if it had been told to me today.

NO CHILD SHOULD PREDECEASE THEIR PARENTS. And for Carrie Fisher's death to be *the last thing* on Debbie Reynolds' mind (and I verified that she *did* know about it) is unspeakably cruel - I remember when Len Bias died, Larry Bird said, "It's the cruelest thing I've ever heard."

It's pointless to compare tragedies, but to me, this seems crueler still - it should have happened the other way around. And life is *not* fair.

I'm going to watch "Singin' in the Rain" tonight to honor both Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds. I thought I had seen, heard, or experienced everything, but this may be the single most tragic thing that I've ever heard - not that Debbie Reynolds died, but that she died knowing what had happened to her daughter. This is even worse than what happened to Elizabeth Edwards, which in my mind ranked right up there; the *only* redeeming thing about this is that Debbie Reynolds was tortured by mental anguish for only a few days. Having lived through a parent surviving the death of her daughter for nearly fifteen years, I think this may be for the best; she was never going to get over this - not even close. In fact, Reynolds' passing was most likely a welcome friend.

Can we end this fucking year already?

2 people like this

Historian Michael Beschloss said on C-Span this Thursday that inaugurations are celebrations of democracy, not winning a race. I will raise a toast for democracy, and humility. Not victory.

4 people like this

17 minutes ago, MC Horoscope said:

I will drink to democracy, and humility. Not victory.

So will I, but you took the Harvard comma a step too far.

-> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> ->  Neal's Post -> Tolerable Political Borderline on donrockwell.com -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> Every Other Website in the World

---

An enigmatic point to ponder: Our two most famous Presidents did not go to college.

1 person likes this

I'm resting my aching feet and raising a glass or 6 to all those others on the Mall today.  What a turnout!  What a scene!

11 people like this

16 hours ago, Bart said:

I'm resting my aching feet and raising a glass or 6 to all those others on the Mall today.  What a turnout!  What a scene!

Will drink to you and the reported to be several million around the globe.  Haven't seen reports of violence and in response to that concern saw a comment to the effect that. " They were large groups of mom's, they shared and helped one another" .   or something to that effect.

4 people like this

46 minutes ago, DaveO said:

Will drink to you and the reported to be several million around the globe.  Haven't seen reports of violence and in response to that concern saw a comment to the effect that. " They were large groups of mom's, they shared and helped one another" .   or something to that effect.

Lots of moms and other assorted females, but lots of dudes too.

As far as the "sharing and helping each other" goes,  I was somewhere on the mall near 7th St and a group of people were chanting "WE NEED AN EPI PEN, WE NEED AN EPI PEN" an a minute or two later, a woman came running through the crowd to the rescue.  Very cool. 

7 people like this

I toasted Saturday night with my Mom after a long day of feet pounding, and chant signing, and will do so again tonight with a friend who couldn't go Saturday- to the future- a future that Saturday looked glorious to me, despite the current forecast.

2 people like this

Marking the passing of Butch Trucks, founding member of the Allman Brothers Band. I saw him play with his own band last year at the Howard Theater, about 50 people showed up, but they still brought it for 2 hours+

Wow.  Sad.  I'll be cranking the Allmans on the train ride home tonight in his honor.

1 person likes this

to mtm {meow}

2 people like this

Possibly my prime years for tv watching/being influenced by tv overlapped with the two series in which she starred, running with a relatively short break from '61 to '77.  My god we watched MTM age from 23-40.  Always beautiful classy elegant.  An exceptional tv personna.   Those characters inhabit our brains and souls as if they are real life.

Spent the latter part of yesterday afternoon in a falsetto voice mindlessly repeating with a voice that attempted to shimmer---" oh Rob"--and then she had a better meatier role as Mary Richards

I feel like "they" just hit me in the guts insofar as tv world goes.

Mary Tyler Moore, oh my goodness. She was a lovely fetching terrific character in The Dick Van Dyke Show and then a memorable admirable ground breaking character in the MTM show.  Simply an icon of earlier TV days.  Sad day for American popular culture.  Also an admirable film actress when in the movies, but as a TV actress my goodness sort of American TV royalty and evidently co stars adored her creating sync between the TV characters and the real person.  RIP

2 people like this

Back during the run of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" it was usually the high point of my week. I used to get together with my oldest friend every Saturday night to watch it. Rob Sheffield has a nice appreciation in Rolling Stone.

1 person likes this

Richard Hatch (Battlestar Galactica...both series)

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Tweaked said:

Richard Hatch (Battlestar Galactica...both series)

Aw, man.  That was the Star Wars substitute for us kids living in Germany with families that refused to pay $5 for the English language version in the German theaters (versus 25 cents for movies on base).  I used to play that theme on the trumpet as a kid.

1 person likes this